Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Card for Cancer sufferers

Options
  • 13-12-2012 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi just joined and looking for information. I have a LTI book for my diabetes and this works well. Cancer is not considered a LTI so the drugs have to be paid for. The limit is currently €132 rising to €144 which has to be paid as I want to survive as long as I can. Whilst I am a pensioner our incomes are too high to qualify for a medical card and this I also understand. However I have met several people who simply were given a medical card when they got diagnosed with cancer. I can't seem to get any answers on why then don't I, am I missing something has any one else on the forum with similar situation experience?.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Sorry to hear about your health troubles. I think the HSE have a certain amount of discretion when it comes to awarding medical cards on health grounds. They can award cards to people who are above the income limit if treating the the medical condition they have will cause them undue financial hardship.

Have you tried contacting your local health office that looks after the awarding of medical cards? I don't know but you may have to make a "case" to them. They may not automatically review your application on medical grounds unless you ask them to.

It may be harder to get given the current squeeze on medical cards but if you don't ask you definitely won't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

In our hospital we write letters requesting medical cards for cancer patients all the time. You need to contact the social worker in the hospital that you are receiving your cancer treatment and explain to them that you are finding it difficult to cover the costs of your medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gfern

Thanks for your helpful prompt responses.

I tried the local office but am told that all responses are now dealt with centrally in Finglas. A pretty faceless procedure so difficult to get through.

I will try the welfare officer in the hospital at least a face to talk to, up to this last year I was working so paying wasn't a problem its only after taking up pensioner status and realising that other people with better circumstances than mine seem to be in reciept of a medical card, envy is a terrible thing.

Its hard to understand why cancer is not considered for LTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

In making your case to Finglas; a letter from your GP would be extremely useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A bit late in here but you are entitled to a medical card as a cancer patient even though your income is over the limit. You should get a letter from your GP or oncology doctor stating you have cancer and on that basis you will get one.

• Advertisement

That would be great I am sure that I can get a letter , can you advise on who to apply to with this request. Do I have to go through Finglas with another application appending the letter or is there someone else to contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

ryanf1 wrote: »
    A bit late in here but you are entitled to a medical card as a cancer patient even though your income is over the limit. You should get a letter from your GP or oncology doctor stating you have cancer and on that basis you will get one.

Incorrect. Your inference is that the OP has an automatic entitlement. There is no such thing as automatic entitlement. What the OP should do is as previously advised , make sure a letter from GP or Consultant is included. OP, you will have to include full details of your earnings & those of your spouse/partner. What you may get is a discretionary card. This may only cover yourself, initially.It is HSE policy to treat applications from cancer patients with the utmost sympathy & discretion. The vast,vast majority of applications are granted.

Best of luck with it all.

That was my understanding as well but I had also heard of people getting this as a right by having cancer. I will try again with a letter from my GP I was not looking for a family card in fact my main concern is the monthly cost of meds even though this is limited to the 132 soon to be 144 euro plus the cost of the regular check ups. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

i am recieveing treatment, i have the medical card, when i visit the chemist to collect the treatment they do not collect the 50cents that is usually demanded for my other meds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

flutered wrote: »
    i am recieveing treatment, i have the medical card, when i visit the chemist to collect the treatment they do not collect the 50cents that is usually demanded for my other meds.

There's 50c to be paid for every item on a medical card prescription, regardless of whether you have cancer or not.
    (The exception is for certain meds that are known as 'High Technology' medicines, as they are paid for by an entirely different mechanism)
    Other than the High Tech stuff, your pharmacy is legally obliged to collect 50 cent from you for each item on your GMS prescription.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

There's 50c to be paid for every item on a medical card prescription, regardless of whether you have cancer or not.
    (The exception is for certain meds that are known as 'High Technology' medicines, as they are paid for by an entirely different mechanism)
    Other than the High Tech stuff, your pharmacy is legally obliged to collect 50 cent from you for each item on your GMS prescription.
    Are all cancer drugs high tech meds as the chemist my sis uses doesn't charge her for any of the poison they give her either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Are all cancer drugs high tech meds as the chemist my sis uses doesn't charge her for any of the poison they give her either.

No.
    Some cancer drugs are "High Tech". Some aren't.
    Some "High Tech" drugs are for cancer. Some aren't.

When the 50c GMS Levy was introduced, a small number of pharmacies offered to 'absorb' the cost themselves in order to try to boost their business. The government made it very clear, very quickly that the collection of the Levy is not optional and is a legal requirement. A pharmacy that isn't bothering to collect the Levy is breaking the law.

Advertisement