Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Surface

Options
  • 01-11-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I have just ordered one from Microsoft Germany, and they ship free by UPS to Ireland. :)
    http://www.microsoft.com/de-de/default.aspx

Produktname: Surface mit Windows RT
    Einzelpreis: 579,00 €
    Gekaufte Menge: 1
    Betrag: 579,00 €

Shipping Address:
    xxxxxxxxx
    Dublin 1
    DublinDN
    Irland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dexter.

oslocity wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have just ordered one from Microsoft Germany, and they ship free by UPS to Ireland. :)

Shipping Address:
    xxxxxxxxx
    Dublin 1
    DublinDN
    Irland
    Do they definitely ship to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oslocity

100 % they ship to Ireland, they shipped to my friend in Norway as well.
    UK site should do as well, but kept telling me that area code not valid, so I booked through Germany.

Thank you for your order in Microsoft from 1 November 2012. The following email is a summary of your order. This is also your proof of purchase. If you paid by credit card, you will find the transaction under MSFT MICROSOFT * GATES on your credit card statement.

You can check your order in your account. Log in with the credentials of your Microsoft account.

Your order and billing information:
    Item number: xxxxxxxxxx
    Order Date: 1 November 2012

Shipping Address:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Dublin 1
    DublinDN
    Ireland

Product Name: Surface with Windows RT
    Price: € 579.00
    Purchased Quantity: 1
    Amount: € 579.00

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

I got to play around with one today for half an hour, they have Surface Experiences here in Sydney to have a look at them.
    Really liked the OS. Its got some really nice touches with the charm board and the multitasking is very well done.

The touch cover/Keyboard is weird. It will take some getting used to. Having to rely more on your eyes than the key press. The keyboard is sprayed onto the back of the cover and it literally feels like your repeatedly touching the cover of a normal phone case. Very strange feeling but a cool novelty. Not sure it's worth the 130 bucks though.

It does lack Applications though. I'm not one who measures a device by number of Apps. But for me to contentiously use the Surface it would need Social Media apps, and a bigger game selection. Although the Office Suite built in was very nice.

Also they confirmed to me, the Surface is ONLY going to be sold via the Microsoft website. No 3rd parties will be selling the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Hi all,

Shipping Address:
    xxxxxxxxx
    Dublin 1
    DublinDN
    Irland

Will your OS be in German?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Greenman wrote: »
    Will your OS be in German?
    If it is, its easily changable, but the keyboard will be QWERTZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭billgates

Has anyone actually ordered and received a Surface from the Microsoft Germany store?

Would be very interested in one but want to be sure that if i order if from the German site that i will receive it ok.

Cheers.

billgates wrote: »
    Has anyone actually ordered and received a Surface from the Microsoft Germany store?

Would be very interested in one but want to be sure that if i order if from the German site that i will receive it ok.

Cheers.

I ordered mine last night, got an email of confirmation and all that. Will update if I receive it.

billgates wrote: »

Cheers.

Great news, I have just received the Surface from Microsoft Germany By FedEx Driver, Everything went smoothly. :) Total 579 Eur including Smart keyboard cover and free shipping.

The OS you can choose English, no problem..
    Small issue, the Keyboard is QWERTZ instead of QWERTY, but when you choose the Setup layout as English it will work as normal QWERTY, just you will see Z physically.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭joe_elway

We ordered one at work from the German site. It arrived this morning. Same experience: QWERTZ keyboard and select your language during the mini-setup.

Alternatively, go look at the other options (only from Misco.ie at the moment) for Asus/Samsung ARM (Windows RT) or Intel SoC/i5 (Windows 8) transformer style tablets. I went for a Samsung ATIV Smart PC because it's a better option for using it on your lap when taking notes at an event.

Manufacturer supply is very poor at the moment. The only touch mobile devices at DSG (PC World) at Sony T13 and their convertible ultrabook. Not much else has arrived in the channel in Ireland, and almost not stock on the continent.

How long does delivery take from the German site?

• Advertisement

Dexter. wrote: »
    How long does delivery take from the German site?

I have ordered 1/11 midnight, almost 02/11 Friday.
    Received today 07/11 around 10AM at my door (Including weekend).

I have ordered 1/11 midnight, almost 02/11 Friday.
    Received today 07/11 around 10AM at my door (Including weekend).
    You've been a great help, thanks man. I ordered mine on the 5th and am currently waiting.

Mine arrived, thanks again.

Mine arrived, thanks again.

You are welcome, have fun.
    PS: You can add up to 64GB Micro SD Card in the slot back the stand, and it will turn to a 96GB Tablet instead of 32GB :)

You are welcome, have fun.
    PS: You can add up to 64GB Micro SD Card in the slot back the stand, and it will turn to a 96GB Tablet instead of 32GB :)
    I wish it had a good Flash Player ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I wish it had a good Flash Player ;_;
    Its actually pretty decent as far as tablets go.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've ordered 2 from the MSUK website, I'll let you know if they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pekingtech

liamog wrote: »
    I've ordered 2 from the MSUK website, I'll let you know if they arrive.

How did you pay on the UK site? I bought the tablet from German site with Paypal. Was gonna get QWERTY touchcover on UK site but they will only accept UK credit cards?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I have an Ulster bank visa debit card, I entered my address but used a Northern Irish postcode, i'm typing this on my Surface now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 popecork

I bought one on Ebay and got it forwarded by Deliverme.ie.

I have to say that I really like it so far. I probably paid over the odds by getting it sent on from Northern Ireland but I'm really happy with it.

• Advertisement

I have an Ulster bank visa debit card, I entered my address but used a Northern Irish postcode, i'm typing this on my Surface now.

Hi Liamog,
    So is your credit card address in Northern Ireland?
    I have an AIB card and the full address would be Republic of Ireland at the end. Despite the microsoft store asking what country I'm in, it only allows UK at end of credit card address.

No the address I used was

11 My Street,
    My Town,
    BT1 6ER
    UK

Even though my real card address is in Dublin, this still went through its also worked with a couple of other websites.

No the address I used was

11 My Street,
    My Town,
    BT1 6ER
    UK

Even though my real card address is in Dublin, this still went through its also worked with a couple of other websites.

Just to update anyone looking to buy, my tablet was shipped from Germany, got it today and set it up in English no bother, €479.

My QWERTY touchcover has been shipped from the UK, I put in my full address, with Ireland as the city. UK still appears by default. I made up a postcode as I was afraid of postal confusion. I followed the exact format of a UK postcode but used A's and 0's.
    That should arrive Monday, fingers crossed. It has been shipped.

I was sneaky and used the main Belfast sorting office as the post code. Figured they'd know what to do with something that said Dublin.

THe keyboard actually arrived on Friday about an hour after the tablet. So no problems with shipping to Ireland despite billing address having to be UK.

awesome which colour keyboard did you pick up? If anybody else needs to pick up a UK keyboard and they would like the black one, give me a shout, id be willing to swap my black one for a blue one

yea, I got the blue one. Worked out at €126 after the conversion but it is nice.

Its probably going to end up being my Christmas present, would be great if MS could get these into stores, everyone I've showed it too has been very impressed.

yea, its a lovely bit of kit. They keyboard has a wow factor. It'll take a while to migrate fully to microsoft eco system. And I love having the desktop. Can't understand everyone's objections to it at all. Drag an drop files from USB keys etc makes file management so easy compared to the nightmare of ANdroid files or even worse apple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

I had the chance to play with a Surface in the Microsoft store in Times Square NYC last week, have to say I was especially impressed with the touch cover (both covers).

The people visiting the store also looked like they enjoyed playing with the tablets.

I ended up buying the Samsung Ativ Smart Pc for 649.99$ because of the advantages of full windows 8 over RT.

However, I ended up selling it because the system was too large. Thankfully I received a full refund just before I left NYC.

I am kinda gutted that I didn't buy the Surface instead as there were some great deals on over there :-/

Advertisement