Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Surface

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I had real reservations about the Surface RT due to it's lack of compatibility but I'm starting to change my mind and I can feel my wallet opening :)

Has anyone tried listening to music on it? Specially music bought through the iTunes store?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

G-Money wrote: »
    I had real reservations about the Surface RT due to it's lack of compatibility but I'm starting to change my mind and I can feel my wallet opening :)

Has anyone tried listening to music on it? Specially music bought through the iTunes store?
    Providing its not Protected MP4 files (MP4P) files, they will play fine, iTunes itself wont install though

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've also had good luck with my backed up dvd collection, we already had it in MP4 Video for the xbox and these have all played nicely on the surface

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭vumpireofkid

Bought the Surface in New York the other day. It was $499 for the tablet and $119 for the blue touchcover. On my credit card bill it came out at €538.
    Only problem is I have a US charger now which I don't want to use long term but I may order one from the German MS site now based on the good experiences you guys have reported! :)

Edit: I just realised they don't have 3 pin plugs in Germany so maybe I won't after all!! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

So order from the UK then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭vumpireofkid

liamog wrote: »
    So order from the UK then

It's still only a 2-pin plug.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.258664900

Its a wrong picture id imagine.

Yep that's correct when it arrives it is definitely a uk style plug

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

What websites did you try to order off that are located in the UK?

The Microsoft UK store, there's a post earlier in this thread where I detail how it works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Couple of questions.
    Does the Surface come with the keyboard or is that extra?
    Is it suitable for internet browsing, Skype and using Microsoft office for writing assignments etc.?

tomred1 wrote: »
    Couple of questions.
    Does the Surface come with the keyboard or is that extra?
    Is it suitable for internet browsing, Skype and using Microsoft office for writing assignments etc.?

The Surface RT which is currently on sale is available in 3 versions

32GB without cover,
    32GB with cover,
    64GB with cover.

Internet browsing is very good as it's the full version of IE10, all normal websites work flawlessly, it has flash support on a whitelist of websites so most sites it just works.

There is a skype client which works really well, MS own Skype now so it should get plenty of updates to work best on Windows.

I use it in college for editing documents etc... Office works really well on it, though I would suggest plug a real keyboard into if you need to do any extended typing.
    There is a USB port so any normal usb keyboard will just work . The touch cover is grand for forum posts but I find it difficult to write a 2000 word essay on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Hi, what would the opinion be of buying from an Amazon reseller?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Surface-Black-Touch-Cover/dp/B00A7W6ZKA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356367023&sr=1-2

I'm set on buying one of these but buying from the Microsoft UK/Germany store seems too complicated. When are these supposed be out in Ireland anyway?

Buying from the UK store isn't complicated, you just set your billing address with a made up postcode (I used BT1 6ER the main Belfast sorting office). The shipping address is normal.

I've heard rumors of a Ireland launch for the new year, this was an MS rep in PC World Blanch, not sure how authoritative a source he was but he had no reason to lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

liamog wrote: »
    Buying from the UK store isn't complicated, you just set your billing address with a made up postcode (I used BT1 6ER the main Belfast sorting office). The shipping address is normal.

I've heard rumors of a Ireland launch for the new year, this was an MS rep in PC World Blanch, not sure how authoritative a source he was but he had no reason to lie.

Cheers for that!

It just seems that the UK ms store is quite pricey e.g. £559 for 64gb with touch cover whereas that's £463 on Amazon.

Does anyone here have any experience with going through one of the private sellers on Amazon (i've only ever bought from them direct).

How do you find the battery life on it? I hear its not great

G-Money wrote: »
    How do you find the battery life on it? I hear its not great
    Ive been playing with them, they do 8 hours without much issue

I get great battery life on mine, I use it for video and internet usage with remote desktop onto my PC, lasts about 8 hours before I need to charge it again

Cool, that's good to know.

When you want to order from the UK site do you need a UK credit/debit card? I've got both but they are Irish however I'm from the north and the billing addresses for both are my northern address. However I'd want it delivered in Dublin as coming up home to get it is extra hassle

From the UK site the billing and shipping addresses were separate, they allow Irish shipping so you'll be grand there, good luck with your order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Anyone know when the pro version is being launched in the UK?

censuspro wrote: »
    Anyone know when the pro version is being launched in the UK?

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's in January. Regarding the Pro, apparently the battery life is about half of what it is on the RT.

I came very close to buying an RT earlier this week but decided to hold off until I have a bit more money. I have an iPhone and I've swayed between buying an iPad and buying a Surface. I was originally thinking about buying the Surface Pro but I don't really think I need it. I'd be planning on using whatever tablet just for listening to music, browsing the web and maybe sending a few emails, that's about it. I was then moving heavily towards the iPad but I'm now swinging back towards the Surface RT :) I love the kickstand idea and the touch cover and it has me a bit annoyed that Apple don't have a similar stand built into the iPad. I also really like the Metro UI in Windows 8 on a touch device, much more than I do iOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,980 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

anyone tried Dell's equivalent - the XPS10? Runs RT, but a proper keyboard with an extra battery in it so battery life is something ridiculous like 15 hours. Similar idea to the Asus Transformer android tablets which I've tried and really liked.

Looks cool, kinda pricy with the keyboard dock though

Advertisement