Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoe Advice

Options
  • 13-12-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Hello -

Looking to buy the vibram five fingers. I walked in to a shop on Parnell Street and they had a selection of FiveFinger Variants.
    THe guy in there reckoned the bikeli (sp) was the best for road running

But he recommended that I perhaps considered the Saucony equivalent shoe. its a light shoe with very little in the way of a sole. Also Nike and ASICs seemed to have a competing alternative.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
    Im a recreational runner who has recently had a few barefoot runs on beaches and parks. on said barefoot runs I've enjoyed the experience but wanted some protection without losing the benefit of the barefooted-ness.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

from what you have said you are looking for a 0mm drop shoe with protection.

Have a look at Saucony Hatori,innov8 barelite 150,vivo barefoot and merrrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

Asics and Nike don't have any 0mm drop shoes. Your best looking at the Saucony Hattori, Vivo barefoot, Merrel or New Balance Minimus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

You need to be very careful in making the transition to zero drop shoes. Too much too fast and you're asking for trouble.
    It would be worth knowing what shoe you're in now to assess the difference in drop.

I've been a year transitioning, coming from a 12mm drop standard Asics shoe I started with 9mm drop Inov8 Road-x, then went to the 6mm drop Road-X in the summer & got a 3mm drop Trailroc shoe a couple of months ago. Hoping to go to 3mm Road shoe in spring and see how that goes, and intend that as a racing & track session shoe only.
    So overall, it will probably have taken me 15-18 months to go from standard to 3mm shoes, and even at that, I won't be doing all my training in them.

The alternative approach to what I did is to go straight to zero but build up your mileage very slowly to prevent injury. You could continue to run in your existing shoes to keep your current training mileage up.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭The_Seal

Hello -

Looking to buy the vibram five fingers. I walked in to a shop on Parnell Street and they had a selection of FiveFinger Variants.
    THe guy in there reckoned the bikeli (sp) was the best for road running

But he recommended that I perhaps considered the Saucony equivalent shoe. its a light shoe with very little in the way of a sole. Also Nike and ASICs seemed to have a competing alternative.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
    Im a recreational runner who has recently had a few barefoot runs on beaches and parks. on said barefoot runs I've enjoyed the experience but wanted some protection without losing the benefit of the barefooted-ness.

Hi

Could you tell me the name of the shop or were abouts on Parnell street it is.

I have had my bikila nearly 3 years now and love them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The_Seal wrote: »
    Hi

Could you tell me the name of the shop or were abouts on Parnell street it is.

I have had my bikila nearly 3 years now and love them

It was very likely runways.

http://www.runways.ie/store/

• Advertisement
Advertisement