Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop Lifters - Image Legalities?

Options
  • 13-12-2012 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I wanted to ask as a friend runs a small business. What is the legality of sharing a known shoplifters identity? I'm talking CCTV image of the person in the act? And if challenged, footage could be produced so not heresay. I know larger stores do it but is it a grey area? I've often seen photos behind the tills in larger convenience stores, just curious on the legality.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 18 aerhead

How do shops normally deal with shop lifters? Do they have policies such as 'anything under €10 give them just a ban'? Do they have to be seen clearly on camera due to false allegations and the cost implications from possible court awards? Always wondered about it from a practical point of view as I'm sure you wouldn't call the guards for something that cost 50cents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I witnessed a person being held by security staff for allegedly stealing a Mars bar,Guards were called by the way .

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

I would presume if the person stole from the shop was caught on camera the owner could display his image taken from cctv as long as he keeps a copy of the incident to prove it. A lot of places do it and petrol stations have been doing it for years.

@aerhead I think upto recently shops used to ban ppl caught stealing small items but recently shops seem to be reporting all thefts to the guards. I know a charity shop that called the guards on a person robbing an item of clothing, I believe the person is going to be brought to court over the incident. I have also heard shops reporting thefts of €5 recently.

I think shops are struggling at the moment and there sending out a message saying there not accepting any thefts and anyone found stealling will be reported to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

I would presume if the person stole from the shop was caught on camera the owner could display his image taken from cctv as long as he keeps a copy of the incident to prove it. A lot of places do it and petrol stations have been doing it for years.

@aerhead I think upto recently shops used to ban ppl caught stealing small items but recently shops seem to be reporting all thefts to the guards. I know a charity shop that called the guards on a person robbing an item of clothing, I believe the person is going to be brought to court over the incident. I have also heard shops reporting thefts of €5 recently.

I think shops are struggling at the moment and there sending out a message saying there not accepting any thefts and anyone found stealling will be reported to the guards.
    Some shops only sell cheap items so they cannot let people off below a certain price point.Shoplifters will flock to a shop if they know they will get let off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not sure to be honest. I do remember it coming up on the radio before and for some reason people were saying you can't do it. I don't think you can say the people were shoplifting (even if you've solid proof they were) more like you can say you want to talk to them or something.

I think your best bet would be to contact your local Garda station and ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

once you have absolute proof, there is no issue. Absolute prrof would mean you have them on camera every second from taking the item and walking out the door.

If there is one second missing, then it would not be absolute proof. But if its all there, you can name them and shame them and publish their photo as the truth is the ultimate defence in any case of libel/slander.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

I think the only absolute proof was if s/he was caught and convicted - then that person can be named as a shoplifter. Unless that happens that person is 'innocent' and cant be names as a shoplifter. That would be my interpretation.

A way around it could be posting peoples pics that you have evidence of stealing but just say that you are looking to talk to the people in the photos as they might be able to help you but like a previous poster mentioned your safest bet would be to talk to the guards or to seek proper legal advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

A way around it could be posting peoples pics that you have evidence of stealing but just say that you are looking to talk to the people in the photos as they might be able to help you but like a previous poster mentioned your safest bet would be to talk to the guards or to seek proper legal advise.

Of course I'll be seeking proper legal advice, I just wanted to see in case there was a common law known to shop keepers regarding it. I appreciate someone is innocent until proven guilty in all cases, the angle here is not to produce photos of 'suspects' rather people actually known to be shoplifting.

You and me and pretty much everyone else would know there shoplifters but by law there only suspects until proven in court of a crime. If you seek legal advise it would be very interesting to hear what your told. I believe you should be allowed to produce and display photos of people stealing from your business wheather it is a small amount or large.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You and me and pretty much everyone else would know there shoplifters but by law there only suspects until proven in court of a crime. If you seek legal advise it would be very interesting to hear what your told. I believe you should be allowed to produce and display photos of people stealing from your business wheather it is a small amount or large.

I'd be on the same tack there alright. The value is irrelevant, its the act. If someone is willing to knowingly steal a can of coke then they are willing to do more in my eyes. And thats making a clear distinction between someone would genuinely forgets about it (As has happened, and next time they pay up for it) and someone who is just out to live a freeloading life style.

I'll investigate this and report back to you all.

Advertisement