Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's cat

• 13-12-2012 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Just wanting to get advice.

A house up the road has had a cat for a good few years and I'd often pet it as I'm going past when it would miaow and rub itself against the garden wall/gate for my attention. Whenever I did this, she'd butt her head against my hand and loved the attention.

But as I was walking towards the house to get home tonight, when I was at the house beside it, the cat ran towards me miaowing really loudly - louder than I've ever heard from her. I stopped and started petting her as usual. But the fur on her back is quite knotted and hard in a number of places which has me concerned. Could that just be from the rain or would that take a while to build up?

Just wondering if I should leave it as that could have been due to rain etc? Or should I knock on the neighbour's door? Don't really know them, would it be better to keep an eye on the cat before doing that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

She might be having trouble grooming herself or it could be any number of things. The problem with the fur clumping like that is that it can, in our experience, form plaques that have to be shaved off unless they are completely brushed out. If the owners are approachable it might be worth asking if she's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

Thanks. Next time I see them, I'll strike up a conversation and voice my concerns.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

From what you say, I'm taking it that this cat is ageing a bit? If she's starting to develop spondylosis, or arthritis, or other conditions that cause pain or discomfort, then self-grooming may be painful or just plain impossible for her.
    Cats are especially stoical about pain, and whilst she might seem happy and healthy, this unkempt look to the harder-to-reach bits of her would ring alarm bells, and a vet check is in order.
    I hope her owners are understanding people!

Advertisement