Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD bars: what are the options now?

• 13-12-2012 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Last time I went out in UCD there was the old Student Bar and the Forum Bar, which had another small bar upstairs. And that was it (apart from the 'Seomra Caidrimh' for staff in the Arts Block, which used to have dictionaries behind the bar so a good academic fight could be settled. hehe.).

What are the options now? And which of the existing bars would be least noisy/ would facilitate a good conversation?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Are there bars on campus. I thought they were all closed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

There's no bars on campus anymore AFAIK. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

There's a secret speakeasy bar running, but don't tell the mayor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

no bars on campus?

Are ye serious? There used to be 3! What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Rodin wrote: »
    no bars on campus?

Are ye serious? There used to be 3! What happened?

Sports bar was turned into a juice bar cafe thing. The forum bar was in the middle of a multi million euro redevelopment when the contractor went bankrupt, and the Student Bar ran up 600,000 in debt and had to be closed, it's creditors are still owed money so they can't re-open.

The staff bar is still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

It is the single most annoying and disappointing aspect about being a student in the University this year, in my opinion.

I got very nostalgic last night remembering chatting with George the bouncer while hanging on the railings of the student bar. Went to a few half decent gigs there too.

Remember in Pat De Brun's election year a bar "beer garden" was a key campaign point, before the end of his term the bar as a whole was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

errlloyd wrote: »
    Remember in Pat De Brun's election year a bar "beer garden" was a key campaign point, before the end of his term the bar as a whole was gone.

In fairness, no one knew what the financial situation was like when they were running :P

Fad wrote: »
    In fairness, no one knew what the financial situation was like when they were running :P

It's weird though, pedantry like beer gardens, 5e cocktails and all drinks 3e nights were huge parts of every pres and ents election in UCD when I was in first and second year.

So spoiled!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Overhead a girl on UCD Open day a few weeks ago: "Where's the bar?".
    I'm sure when she finds out she'll pick Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The place needs a bar more than a 50m pool

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aoifejay

This just ruined my day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

The student bar really is some loss to the campus this year,even for having food it was a far better option than the restaurant especially in the evenings,and with the 2 bars closed and also the trap,there not even a pool table on campus which was great for passing time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Can't they just get students to volunteer to build it? That way we might even learn something.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

So if one was determined to get pissed on campus, what options do we have?

Wine from the main restaurant (soon to be changed so don't know if that'll stay the say)
    Centra for tins.

Any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Centra don't sell tins.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Rodin wrote: »
    The place needs a bar more than a 50m pool

nah, much rather the pool thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ThatGuy93

nah, much rather the pool thanks..

Infairness though as great a facility as the pool is, your average UCD student would get much more use from a bar on campus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

ThatGuy93 wrote: »
    your average UCD student would get much more use from a bar on campus

Says a whole lot about the utter state of our society doesn't it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Why stigmatise a bar as though it's some sort of moral failing on the part of students to want a bar?

Cafe facilities aren't great in the university and can be quite expensive, college years are as much about personal development and enjoying yourself as it is about your education imo. Many people will make friends for life in college and will decide which friends from school become best friends, and in your late teens / early 20's is it really wrong to enjoy yourself and your youth and have fun?

A bar is really important in my opinion. And not as somewhere to just get rotten 7 nights a week and cause problems, but as a social outlet for students and a focal point around which they can enjoy the college experience.

There's nothing wrong with drinking and enjoying yourself and it shouldn't be stigmatised by those on a high horse. Sure, some will abuse drink or be feckin eejits when locked, but that shouldn't deprive everyone else from having an evening social outlet with entertainment such as matches on big screen, pool, gigs, music, food and alcohol and good times with good friends.

(29 year old mature student 'oul lad here, and I'm not saying this cause I want to get pissed 2 or 3 times a week, those days are behind me, but I did it back in my first college days and for me and many people, they're some of the best days of your life, and I'd hate to see students deprived of social outlets. College, as I said, is as much about the individual to become an adult and develop as it is about your degree)