Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions League - Round Of 16 Draw

• 13-12-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

Draw takes place at 10:30am Thursday December 20th, you can watch the draw live on RTE News Now, Sky Sports News and on UEFA.com

Group winners: Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA), FC Schalke 04 (GER), Málaga CF (ESP), Borussia Dortmund (GER), Juventus (ITA), FC Bayern München (GER), FC Barcelona (ESP), Manchester United FC (ENG)

Group runners-up: FC Porto (POR), Arsenal FC (ENG), AC Milan (ITA), Real Madrid CF (ESP), FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR), Valencia CF (ESP), Celtic FC (SCO), Galatasaray AŞ (TUR)

Holders Chelsea FC may be out but the lineup for the draw contains nine past winners of Europe's premier club competition as well as tournament debutants Málaga CF; all the other 15 teams have been at this stage before, in Real Madrid CF's case for the 16th year in a row.

Nine different nations are represented in the knockout phase and only five of the 16 clubs were in this round last season: FC Bayern München, FC Barcelona, Arsenal FC, AC Milan and Madrid. Just two sides did not start in the group stage, Málaga beginning in the league route play-offs and Celtic FC in the champions route third qualifying round.

Two seeding pots have been formed: one consisting of group winners and the other of runners-up.

Seeded group winners will be away in the round of 16 first legs on 12/13 and 19/20 February and at home in the return matches on 5/6 and 12/13 March. No team can play a club from their group or any side from their own association. The draw will be conducted by UEFA General Secretary Gianni Infantino and UEFA director of competitions Giorgio Marchetti, assisted by final ambassador Steve McManaman.

The draw for the quarter-finals will be held at 12.00CET on 15 March and the tournament concludes at Wembley Stadium on 25 May. The possibility remains that the final could be a rematch of the 2011 showpiece there between FC Barcelona and Manchester United FC.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Sure it's grand to be in the hat so to speak!......

Hope we draw Celtic and batter them but definately wish to avoid Shaktar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

dahat wrote: »

ABM for me personally (Anyone But Madrid)

Liam O wrote: »
    ABM for me personally (Anyone But Madrid)

I wouldn't fear them myself just the thoughts of Ronnie putting us out just makes me sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I wouldn't fear them myself just the thoughts of Ronnie putting us out just makes me sick.

That's my exact thoughts, I don't fear Madrid, I just don't think I could handle watching Ronnie stick a few past United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

As an arsenal fan obviously I'd like to avoid barca but I wouldn't say arsenal would be favourites against any of the group winners. Maybe Malaga but they are a decent team.

Can teams that qualify from the same group be drawn against each other??

• Advertisement

jonny666 wrote: »
    As an arsenal fan obviously I'd like to avoid barca but I wouldn't say arsenal would be favourites against any of the group winners. Maybe Malaga but they are a decent team.

At least ye will avoid Bradford in this..............:D

Teams from same group avoid each other

jonny666 wrote: »

H: Manchester United FC (ENG)
    Can play: Porto, Milan, Madrid, Shakhtar, Valencia, Celtic
    Qualified as: runners-up, England
    Last season: group stage/UEFA Europa League, round of 16
    Previous seasons in UEFA Champions League: 17
    Previous European Cup best: winners x 3

B: Arsenal FC (ENG)
    Can play: PSG, Málaga, Dortmund, Juventus, Bayern, Barcelona
    Qualified as: third place, England
    Last season: round of 16
    Previous seasons in UEFA Champions League: 14
    Previous European Cup best: runners-up

At least ye will avoid Bradford in this..............:D

No comment!! :D

NUTZZ wrote: »

H: Manchester United FC (ENG)
    Can play: Porto, Milan, Madrid, Shakhtar, Valencia, Celtic
    Qualified as: runners-up, England
    Last season: group stage/UEFA Europa League, round of 16
    Previous seasons in UEFA Champions League: 17
    Previous European Cup best: winners x 3

B: Arsenal FC (ENG)
    Can play: PSG, Málaga, Dortmund, Juventus, Bayern, Barcelona
    Qualified as: third place, England
    Last season: round of 16
    Previous seasons in UEFA Champions League: 14
    Previous European Cup best: runners-up

Def wanna avoid barca, bayern and Dortmund. Malaga did really well in their group. Not too sure about PSG and I don't think Juve looked fantastic. Maybe juventus would be the better draw.

What ever happens it will be tough.

Think Utd have a good chance of winning it this year Will be interesting to see how ye're defence cops with quality opposition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I hope we draw your team, whomever they are, and batter them too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

For Arsenal, I'd want to avoid Barcelona and the Germans. After that, there isn't much between the other possible opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Would love to see PSG/Dortmund vs Arsenal,Bayern/Juve vs Real and of course Utd vs Celtic,That'd be an epic tie.

United Real would also be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I think a good draw for Arsenal would be Juventus, could definitely see them winning that tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I dont think anyone should want Juventus. An incredibly tough side to beat. A trait which will serve them well in the knock-out rounds. If they get a striker in January then they become serious contenders for me. Malaga are Arsenals best bet and even then they aren't favourites

I dont think anyone should want Juventus. An incredibly tough side to beat. A trait which will serve them well in the knock-out rounds. If they get a striker in January then they become serious contenders for me. Malaga are Arsenals best bet and even then they aren't favourites

Was thinking to myself the other day how a player like Michu would fit right into their plans come January.Eligible for Europe and I'd imagine the right price to coax him away wouldn't be very steep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Never thought of Michu going to Juve Could be a good shout in the summer. Even if they got Llorente like they have been linked makes them a serious side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Hoping for United v Shakhtar.

Llorente would probably be the better option,A bit more proven at the highest level.

The fact that they'll definitely be in the market as early as January should makes other sides maybe think twice in the hope of meeting them.

This actually looks to me to be one of the most,If not the most competitive last 16's I've ever seen in the Champo's.Galatasaray look like the only rollovers.I really think Utd are going to struggle with the majority of those sides as well if their defence isn't shored up by then.Arsenal are as good as out imo if Wenger dosen't bring in some reinforcements come February.The likes of Dortmund or Bayern could tear them apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

bradlente wrote: »
    Llorente would probably be the better option,A bit more proven at the highest level.

The fact that they'll definitely be in the market as early as January should makes other sides maybe think twice in the hope of meeting them.

This actually looks to me to be one of the most,If not the most competitive last 16's I've ever seen in the Champo's.Galatasaray look like the only rollovers.I really think Utd are going to struggle with the majority of those sides as well if their defence isn't shored up by then.Arsenal are as good as out imo if Wenger dosen't bring in some reinforcements come February.The likes of Dortmund or Bayern could tear them apart.

The champos

:rolleyes:

**** modern football

The champos

:rolleyes:

**** modern football

Sorry Ron :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

All my Celtic friends want United. They fancy their chances this year alright.

Suppose why not. Can see it being them or Real for us.

Be tough to win it this year being 1st or 2nd seed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

All my Celtic friends want United. They fancy their chances this year alright.

Suppose why not. Can see it being them or Real for us.

Be tough to win it this year being 1st or 2nd seed.

No interest in getting Utd.

Utd are quite weak man for man IMO but are a superb team.

No interest in getting Utd.

Utd are quite weak man for man IMO but are a superb team.

In fairness I can see why people would want United. Also Celtic would I think be well up for the game and would see it as the Final itself in ways.

considering you wont get Real or Barca in next round gives you guys a chance imo no matter who else ye get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

We can get:

Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA), Málaga CF (ESP), Borussia Dortmund (GER), Juventus (ITA), FC Bayern München (GER), FC Barcelona (ESP)

No particularly easy ties there really, but in order of preference I'd want:

Malaga
    PSG
    Bayern
    Juve
    Dortmund
    Barca

Just please not another tie against Barca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

A lot of Celtic fans I know want United too. They're saying that they are there for the taking.
    If the game was next week I'd see where they might be coming from as we are leaking a shìt load of goals.
    I can't see that continuing until the end of February.

Hopefully Vidic will be back playing something like he used to by then and we will have a regular, solid back 4.
    I've never seen such a porous United defence as it's been so far this season.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    A lot of Celtic fans I know want United too. They're saying that they are there for the taking.
    If the game was next week I'd see where they might be coming from as we are leaking a shìt load of goals.
    I can't see that continuing until the end of February.

Hopefully Vidic will be back playing something like he used to by then and we will have a regular, solid back 4.
    I've never seen such a porous United defence as it's been so far this season.

Not since 01/02 season I say. That season we were conceding 3 goals nearly every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Europa League is where it's at. :o:(

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Hope Dortmund draw one of the British clubs. Would definitely try and get over for a game against any of them.

Actually, I hope it's three Bundesliga v EPL (and err SPL) match ups :)

Outside of that? Give us Real again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Pretty chuffed to see 3 German teams in there of which I expect 2 to have very real potential to win the thing outright.

Bayern are actual favourites for me this year. Last years finalist and they only got better since. The only thing with Badstuber out for 6 months and Boateng on a red card suspension they look even more dodgy at the back than usual for the first knock out tie.

Dortmund a breath if fresh air and with their league chances practically gone they will throw everything at the CL. Last time they won 2 leagues in a row they won the CL the year after. Can history be repeated?

Come on the Germans!
    A good performance this year in CL and EL and we might knock the EPL off second spot in the rankings.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Shalke for Milan please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Hope we get Man U. Obviously they'll be strong favourites but if we perform like we did in both games v Barca fancy our chances against them over 2 legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Already a champions league thread here ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79516066

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Already a champions league thread here ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79516066

Aww want us to post more in your thread?
    :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

We might have a chance against Malaga, them being somewhat inexperienced at this level. It's a faint hope, the reality is we'll be underdogs against everyone.

Ordinarily I'd say PSG would be our best bet were it not for the Ibra factor. He just loves playing against us.

Dortmund, Barcelona and Bayern would destroy us as things stand, whilst Juve would likely grind out a win over 2 legs.

But football is a strange creature and you never know what the lay of the land might be come February. I remember us drawing Real Madrid in this round the year we got to the final and we were no hopers when the draw was made. Keep the faith!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Can see there being some big ties..

Also, I'd love to see Celtic play United, would get huge interest in Ireland :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Schalke are a poor side. The other two German sides could very easily go to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Draw of Justice:

Arsenal FC (ENG) vs FC Barcelona (ESP)
    Manchester United FC (ENG) vs Real Madrid CF (ESP)
    Celtic FC (SCO) vs Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA)
    Galatasaray AS (TUR) vs Juventus (ITA)
    AC Milan (ITA) vs FC Bayern München (GER)
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) vs Málaga CF (ESP)
    Valencia CF (ESP) vs Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    FC Porto (POR) vs FC Schalke 04 (GER)

One time please, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Draw of Justice:

One time please, etc.

What :confused:

AdamD wrote: »
    What :confused:

It would be the draw I'd like. Would involve the best ties possible imo, etc. Not hard to get. If you're going to have a thread about a draw a week before a draw is made it seems like the kind of posts said thread deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Draw of Justice:

One time please, etc.

We dont want Barcelona simply because we are sick of playing them. No other reason whatsoever ;) Think we've played them in three of the last six tournaments. Want someone different. None of them are easy but Malaga or PSG would do nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It would be the draw I'd like. Would involve the best ties possible imo, etc. Not hard to get. If you're going to have a thread about a draw a week before a draw is made it seems like the kind of posts said thread deserves.

Eh, might be easier to get if you had have said that in the first place rather than 'Draw of Justice' which could mean ****ing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Can see there being some big ties..

Also, I'd love to see Celtic play United, would get huge interest in Ireland :)

They wouldn't know who to support ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I do admit, it would be funny if Arsenal drew Barcelona again :)

I do admit, it would be funny if Arsenal drew Barcelona again :)

And you know what, I'd nearly fancy Arsenal for an upset if it did happen!

If Celtic can beat them...

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    We dont want Barcelona simply because we are sick of playing them. No other reason whatsoever ;) Think we've played them in three of the last six tournaments. Want someone different. None of them are easy but Malaga or PSG would do nicely.

Yes, but I want to ensure your elimination (in the most entertaining way possible of course). :)
    AdamD wrote: »
    Eh, might be easier to get if you had have said that in the first place rather than 'Draw of Justice' which could mean ****ing anything.

'Preferred draw' didn't carry the punch I was looking for tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If Celtic can beat them...

But Celtic would probably beat Bradford too.;)

Turtyturd wrote: »

But Celtic would probably beat Bradford too.;)
    Would Bradford beat Barcelona??

I think PSG would be an ideal draw for Celtic. Massive tie against a team with mega stars, but a team that has demonstrated some fragility. I could see PSG getting rumbled in Glasgow and not having it in them to pull the tie back in the second leg. And if PSG turn up, well it would still be a great experience.

I'd imagine Celtic fans are looking at Shalke or Malaga as preferred options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Would Bradford beat Barcelona??

Maybe on penalties.

• Advertisement
Advertisement