Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions League - Round Of 16 Draw

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

United will beat Madrid

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The only positive I can say for Arsenal is we got tough draws like this when we made it to the final in 06. Written off in pretty much every round so hopefully we can do similar and keep sneaking through as the underdogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I'd expect the lines to move somewhat before the tie kicks off.

Unless the Madrid squad comes down with the Ebola virus days before the tie there isn't a hope United will be favs or particularly close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Unless the Madrid squad comes down with the Ebola virus days before the tie there isn't a hope United will be favs or particularly close.

In fairness they will be close, bookies are smarter than that than to write off United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Best price on Man utd to qualify is 6/4. Madrid are 8/13 best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Corholio wrote: »

In fairness they will be close, bookies are smarter than that than to write off United.

It's currently 4/7 Real 11/8 United

Theyre not writing them off, i'm not writing them off. Just making a very basic point that they won't be starting favs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rekop dog wrote: »
    It's currently 4/7 Real 11/8 United

Theyre not writing them off, i'm not writing them off. Just making a very basic point that they won't be starting favs.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Liam O wrote: »
    Shakhtar most definitely are not. Just because they had a good group stage doesn't mean they rank up with even underperforming powerhouse teams.
    AdamD wrote: »
    People have short memories. Arsenal knocked Dortmund out in the group stages last year. Shaktar isn't even worth addressing.
    While some people might be overrating them they are certainly worthy adversaries for anybody right now. They were quarter-finalists and lost out to Barcelona two years ago. They didn't do great last year and this year they should have topped their group. They knew a draw was enough to win the group but they set up for the draw and paid the price.

They are capable of beating any team over two legs in the ECL. All about their away performances but they certainly are in with a real shot this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'd be surprised if any of the British teams make it through to the quarter finals. Madrid's league form has been poor but their focus this season is now soley on the Champions League, overcoming a team of that class and a club with their history and tradition would take something truly extraordinary. Bayern have been brilliant this season and Arsenal are t any better this season than last.

cracking draw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

PSG V Valencia could be decent game ttoo. Dont think that is a sure thing for PSG either.

PSG will win easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

rarnes1 wrote: »
    cracking draw!

Agreed ... pretty much every one of those games have the potential to be crackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

764dak wrote: »
    PSG will win easily.

When you say easily by how many goals in total? 4+?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,671 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Some cracking games to come would love to see Celtic and MU both progress tough games for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

if it was 1 game id say they could but not over 2 legs
    Actually, I'd say it's more likely we beat them over two legs, same with Barça; we had a better chance of beating Barça over two legs than we had when it was in the final (of course that's disregarding the fact that Barça got better over those years).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Tough draws for United, Arsenal and Celtic. I can't see United beating Real over two legs but I think they'll push them close. Sadly I think Cristiano could well be the difference. It's written for him really.

I don't rule out Arsenal getting through. If the games began next week I would, but I think Arsenal will be a stronger challenge in the new year and I give them a decent chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Think we'll be seeing 4 Spanish teams, 3 German teams and Juve in the last 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Two home games for Galatasaray, I suppose...I that region, they have a strong Turkish community, a very strong and big one indeed :P

Borussia Dortmund should go through, but it will be a tricky one, imo. They always had some difficulties against teams from Eastern Europe :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

When you say easily by how many goals in total? 4+?

I can see 1-0 away win and maybe a 2-0 or 3-0 home win for PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Seems like in the dress rehearsal for the CL draw the pairings were identical to the real thing.The odds of it happening were 2,000,000-1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2251604/Champions-League-draw-produces-exact-pairings-dress-rehearsal--odds-staggering-2-000-000-1.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

zerks wrote: »
    Seems like in the dress rehearsal for the CL draw the pairings were identical to the real thing.The odds of it happening were 2,000,000-1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2251604/Champions-League-draw-produces-exact-pairings-dress-rehearsal--odds-staggering-2-000-000-1.html

Were those odds calculated on a cheese grater?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

'it is possible there will be no British clubs in the quarter-finals for the first time since 1996.'
    Ah isn't that possible at this stage every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

'it is possible there will be no British clubs in the quarter-finals for the first time since 1996.'
    Ah isn't that possible at this stage every year.

It's also possible that there will be no Brazilian teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

curry-muff wrote: »
    It's also possible that there will be no Brazilian teams.

No, its definite that there will be no Brazilian teams in the next round.

Only possible that there may be no English.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Shakhtar Donetsk are practically a Brazilian team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe a team of Brazilians but not a Brazilian team;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

But that's the same thing. They're a Ukrainian club but a Brazilian team.

Advertisement