Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining the French Foreign Legion?

• 13-12-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi im looking for imformation about the french foreign legion, im only 18 now and only just thinking about it atm. I am clever and am aiming for just below 480 points in LC and Im off to college nest year and i was wondering what type of person you have to be mentally and physically. I belive i am physically fit and able to motivate myself but iv never been in fights and dont see myself as a rough person. iv read stories that its survival of the fittest, dont know its it true anymore?

I know its ment to be a miserable and strick life and you cant have a phone or a car and your stuck there for at least 5 years.

I am in the Amry reserve, and i know its nothing like it but i enjoy the discipline,

I am only considering joining if i do not get a cadetship in the PDF.

What books or accounts would anyone reccommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Hi im looking for imformation about the french foreign legion, im only 18 now and only just thinking about it atm. I am clever and am aiming for just below 480 points in LC and Im off to college nest year and i was wondering what type of person you have to be mentally and physically. I belive i am physically fit and able to motivate myself but iv never been in fights and dont see myself as a rough person. iv read stories that its survival of the fittest, dont know its it true anymore?

I know its ment to be a miserable and strick life and you cant have a phone or a car and your stuck there for at least 5 years.

I am in the Amry reserve, and i know its nothing like it but i enjoy the discipline,

I am only considering joining if i do not get a cadetship in the PDF.

What books or accounts would anyone reccommend?

Thanks

Stick to Airsoft and use google it will tell you all you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Check your PM's.

Stay away from the books, they're written with two things mind; 'Impress the civvi's, and have a go at the army that I was rejected from before joining the French Army'.

Also, if you're in the RDF you won't know much about the discipline that you think you'll like if you become a professional soldier. Being a soldier and a reservist are too very very *different* things.

EDIT: Spelling mistake changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Search on this forum for 'joining the FFL'. It will tell you all you want to know.

It could either be the best thing you've ever done in your life, or the very worst.

There is nothing in between.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭airsofter1234

thanks for replying, i understand most of it im just worried about not being tough enough. i dont mind being screamed at or strict discipline , does anyone reccommend any accurate books that arent legion propaganda

• Advertisement

You don't need to be 'tough'.

Just be fit and no when to keep your mouth shut and keep the head down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

You don't need to be 'tough'.

Just be fit and no when to keep your mouth shut and keep the head down.

Not quite.You will be given orders in French from the word go,even though the officer giving the order may be German or British etc and they know you cannot speak French.You may be told for example to sweep the floor.If you don't obey immediately because you don't speak the lingo,you will get the brush across the head until you get the message.Recruits are encouraged to beat fellow recruits who cannot keep up on long runs .Its ideal if you are a criminal in need of new papers from the French government.If you just want excitement and discipline,I suggest you look elsewhere.I have a good friend who did a stint in the Legion and could not stick it.This guy is a serious hard case and super fit.If he found it too tough,it must be bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

repsol wrote: »
    Not quite.You will be given orders in French from the word go,even though the officer giving the order may be German or British etc and they know you cannot speak French.You may be told for example to sweep the floor.If you don't obey immediately because you don't speak the lingo,you will get the brush across the head until you get the message.Recruits are encouraged to beat fellow recruits who cannot keep up on long runs .Its ideal if you are a criminal in need of new papers from the French government.If you just want excitement and discipline,I suggest you look elsewhere.I have a good friend who did a stint in the Legion and could not stick it.This guy is a serious hard case and super fit.If he found it too tough,it must be bad.

Right ya, its always a "friend" isnt it.. please ignore this fella, been reading too many books.

Ithink that it would be a good idea to learn some basic French before you go to enlist.

At the very least 'Oui, Caporal' would show that you've made some effort.

tac

twinytwo wrote: »
    Right ya, its always a "friend" isnt it.. please ignore this fella, been reading too many books.

You obviously don't have friends yourself and probably never read books.My friend was a legionnaire and there are a lot of Irish in it.Most legionaires have previous army service.I was giving advice to the OP based on what he told me.What are you basing your advice on?If the OP wants to take it he can.If he wants to wait until he has signed up to find out what it is like,thats up to him as well.They don't have a cooling off period so there is no backing out

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, I will take your advice. I understand the strict discipline , I read an article an guadian.co.uk about an incident when a trainee died after his corporal wouldn't let him drink. I do French In school , not great but I know the basics

Thanks for the replies, I will take your advice. I understand the strict discipline , I read an article an guadian.co.uk about an incident when a trainee died after his corporal wouldn't let him drink. I do French In school , not great but I know the basics

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.Its a unique outfit.Just do loads of homework before committing to anything.Like I said,the info I gave you was second hand. You might have better luck finding an ex legionnaire to talk to on a UK website as there are a lot of brits in it (most of who would have served in HM forces and left for various reasons).Next time I see the guy I will ask him if he minds talking to you,and if he agrees I will pm you

Study and try for a cadetship or join if recruits open up if your looking for a challenge the DF will oblige, I mean like Selection for ARW, Divers, Recce, Snipers etc, other then that I suggest Brits, Sorry about my previous post... bad day!

i will try the pdf first i know they are pretty good and do a lot of stuff.
    Personally i wouldnt join the British Army,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

What exactly is it that makes you want to serve in the FFL?

Applying for a cadetship in the PDF and enlisting in the FFL are two very different routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

What is this, pick n mix army careers? Don't waste someone elses place in the Irish DF if you have plans to swan off to Aubagne.

Goldie Fish: I plan on apply for the PDF and would prefere it to the FFL . I have wanted a cadetship since i was like 10 and i plan on staying on until retirement if i get it. I am saying i want to know about FFL because as you know the odds of actually getting into the class are like 1 in 70, and i want a backup plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

I have heard Stories about the FFL. The may be "stories" so wont repeat them here, why not join the British Army. If you want some excitement there are a couple of wars going on. Or, after a couple of years, apply to join the SAS, lots of excitement there.

Thanks for the suggestion but i am quite nationalist and dont think i could join the BA. I have also heard some stories about beating and a lad died in training lasst year.

Thanks for the suggestion but i am quite nationalist and dont think i could join the BA. I have also heard some stories about beating and a lad died in training lasst year.

Quite nationalist, but you have no problem joining a foreign army other than the british, whose ancestors were invading and pillaging our shores long before the british?

Thats a bit hypocritical, don't you think?

• Advertisement

Legio Patria Nostra (English: The Legion is our Fatherland) is the motto of the Foreign Legion. The adoption of the Foreign Legion as a new fatherland does not imply the repudiation by the legionnaire of his first nationality. The French Foreign Legion respects the original fatherland of the legionnaires who are totally free to preserve their nationalities. The Foreign Legion even asks the agreement of any legionnaire who could be sent in a military operation where his country of origin would be committed.

from wiki btw(i know its a ****ty source)

The French didnt shoot protesters on the streets of Derry, they didnt treat us as second class citizens, they didnt colaborate with the UVF and build bombs for them which killed 27 people in Dublin and monaghan bombing, to name a few attrocities. Many irish heros such as Wolf Tone served in the French army and many thousands joined the Irish Brigade http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Brigade_(France)

Ah here stay where you are, i can see where this is going close this thread, the lad clearly been reading to many history books and play cod.

i will agree i read history and study it in school, but i dont play cod and rarely play xbox.(dont have xbox live) i am genuinly interest in military life. if i played cod id prob want to join spetnaz or SAS :pac:

Thanks everyone for the advice, it really helped

i will agree i read history and study it in school, but i dont play cod and rarely play xbox.(dont have xbox live) i am genuinly interest in military life. if i played cod id prob want to join spetnaz or SAS :pac:

From your allegation that Irish soldiers get beaten to death in the British Army, I assume that you also believe in the Tooth Fairy. If you are going to post cr%p like that, perhaps you need to have a reality check first.

tac, unbeaten to death in 33 years.

mlumley wrote: »
    I have heard Stories about the FFL. The may be "stories" so wont repeat them here, why not join the British Army. If you want some excitement there are a couple of wars going on. Or, after a couple of years, apply to join the SAS, lots of excitement there.

NOT from the Republic of Ireland, you won't.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    From your allegation that Irish soldiers get beaten to death in the British Army, I assume that you also believe in the Tooth Fairy. If you are going to post cr%p like that, perhaps you need to have a reality check first.

tac, unbeaten to death in 33 years.

sorry for the misunderstanding . i never siad irish soldiers in the BA get beaten , i said that soldiers in the FFL get beaten but each other and NCO's and i a man died in there desert training last year in the FFL. I know that the BA doesnt have corporal punishment and that loads of irish people have good careers in the BA, i understand that most would get treated the same as there british counterparts, i just wouldnt personally join

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭delta-boy

sorry for the misunderstanding . i never siad irish soldiers in the BA get beaten , i said that soldiers in the FFL get beaten but each other and NCO's and i a man died in there desert training last year in the FFL. I know that the BA doesnt have corporal punishment and that loads of irish people have good careers in the BA, i understand that most would get treated the same as there british counterparts, i just wouldnt personally join

You obviously dont know anything about what you are talking about so I'd quit while you're ahead. With your attitude I'd stay in either, we dont want you nor do the French, have fun in the Gestapo interview with your views and or your fellow Brit applicants. Cheerio!

delta-boy wrote: »
    You obviously dont know anything about what you are talking about so I'd quit while you're ahead. With your attitude I'd stay in either, we dont want you nor do the French, have fun in the Gestapo interview with your views and or your fellow Brit applicants. Cheerio!

just because i have a problem with joining the BA you think that the PDF and the FFL wouldnt accept me. For me ,(my personal views only) joining the BA is like a brit joining the German Army. I have no problem with english people its just there armed forces. One of my best friends is english, having moved over last year. I get on great with english people when i meet them in spain or where ever, i am not a provo who wants to kill them all i just have a problem with joining them. Your entitled to go off and join the BA but you cant give out to some one else for not having your readyness to join HM armed forces

• Advertisement

The French didnt shoot protesters on the streets of Derry, they didnt treat us as second class citizens, they didnt colaborate with the UVF and build bombs for them which killed 27 people in Dublin and monaghan bombing, to name a few attrocities. Many irish heros such as Wolf Tone served in the French army and many thousands joined the Irish Brigade http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Brigade_(France)

You need to read up on the norman conquest of ireland so. The British are mere playground bullies compared to what the normans got up to.

And you want to join the army from which they are derived.

Traitor.
    You probably already have a "fitz" in your surname anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Listen, genius, you go for an interview in the Irish DF for either an enlisted or commissioned post and you trot out those one-sided, quasi-IRA/SF views, you'll feel a size 12 up your hole before you can blink. You'll have the imprint of the doorhandle on your arse as you slink off home, wondering what went wrong. The Irish DF has an excellent relationship with HM Forces, as well as other people's Armies and the last thing they need is a chimp who can't think, especially when he might encounter HM Service personnel on UN duty or training abroad. Do try and broaden your horizons about the Troubles, before you ever go near a DF interview.

regards
    Stovepipe

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Listen, genius, you go for an interview in the Irish DF for either an enlisted or commissioned post and you trot out those one-sided, quasi-IRA/SF views, you'll feel a size 12 up your hole before you can blink. You'll have the imprint of the doorhandle on your arse as you slink off home, wondering what went wrong. The Irish DF has an excellent relationship with HM Forces, as well as other people's Armies and the last thing they need is a chimp who can't think, especially when he might encounter HM Service personnel on UN duty or training abroad. Do try and broaden your horizons about the Troubles, before you ever go near a DF interview.

regards
    Stovepipe

Thank you!! I was just thinking how id love to interview this clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

Seriously am i being lectured for not wanting to join the BA. I understand that we get on great with them i just have no desire to join them. I have no problem with britian i just wouldnt join it, ..
    Btw i have no IRA views and believe in the peace process and the right of northern irish unionists to self determenation.

Goldie fish: i know that the normans invaded us but that was 900 years ago and they were firmly established in britian by this time. Also by that logic i would hate people form connaght for stealing the brown bull of cooley. I dont hold a grudge for the cromwellian conquest or for letting ireland rot after act of union 1801. its just i dont believe that i should join them after incidents that havnt been adressed by the British Gov. I congratulate their bloody sunday tribunal and i feel that our government should look into incidents when the guards or army were involved with the PIRA.

seriously this thread was about the FFl not the reasons why i dont want to join the BA . I dont want to argue wether i should join the BA i just came on this to find weither anyone reccomends any books on the FFL and not to get attacked by half the Britsh Army

• Advertisement

Seriously am i being lectured for not wanting to join the BA. I understand that we get on great with them i just have no desire to join them. I have no problem with britian i just wouldnt join it, ..
    Btw i have no IRA views and believe in the peace process and the right of northern irish unionists to self determenation.

Goldie fish: i know that the normans invaded us but that was 900 years ago and they were firmly established in britian by this time. Also by that logic i would hate people form connaght for stealing the brown bull of cooley. I dont hold a grudge for the cromwellian conquest or for letting ireland rot after act of union 1801. its just i dont believe that i should join them after incidents that havnt been adressed by the British Gov. I congratulate their bloody sunday tribunal and i feel that our government should look into incidents when the guards or army were involved with the PIRA.

Seriously if you sat in-front of me for interview id send you home to grow up. Knowone was telling you to join the Brits they were simply offering a suggestion as they are the nearest nation to us with many Irish serving, little lesson for you just because you read it in a book doesn't mean you know it all, and since you don't know weather you want a career in the DF or FFL clearly shows me you have no idea about what it takes, Both are very different forces, stick to airsoft.

seriously this thread was about the FFl not the reasons why i dont want to join the BA . I dont want to argue wether i should join the BA i just came on this to find weither anyone reccomends any books on the FFL and not to get attacked by half the Britsh Army

What?? Whos British army? I can see one who commented here being British army and thats tac, Goldie is as far as I know ret DF, Myself is DF and many more are DF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

i dont even play airsoft i came up with that name when i was buying an airsoft gun and wanted to ask someone about it on this.

I know its our nearest neighbour but why are we even discussing it. I know that the PDF and the FFL are completely different. I do know i want a career in the DF i am researching the FFL as a backup as i have stated before.

I have respect for yous since you have served Ireland, which i hope to do,
    I also respect yous in BA for fighting for a foreign country , all i am saying is that i have no interest in joining wether its our nearest neighbour , one of the best trained , professsional armies in the world.

I never said i know everything , i am hear to find out more and thats all , im not here to insult yous or to argue with yous

So its OK to fight for a foreign country, as long as it isn't the UK.

• Advertisement

i dont even play airsoft i came up with that name when i was buying an airsoft gun and wanted to ask someone about it on this.

Yes you do. Your post history reveals it. Did you sell the G36?

Yes you do. Your post history reveals it. Did you sell the G36?
    I did play it, and yes i did sell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Lads, the thread isn't about the chaps opinion on the UK Defense Forces or our treatment by the Normans 1200 years ago. He's looking for information on joining the French Foreign Legion, now sadly I don't have any information to give but c'mon, stick to the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

Hi,

I have had three very close friends and colleagues who were in the FFL.

Two of them were in the PDF, they left as privates, joined the FFL and did 5 years then came home again.

They re-joined the service and made great careers.

None of these men would have served in the British army but have served beside and alongside the British armed forces.

One has even completed a British army course.

I have worked very closely with british armed personnel and I have two very good friends in the BA one is a royal irish ranger the other a marine but I would never even consider joining majesty's forces.

This does not make you a ra head it just says you have your own ideals and have the courage to state them.

But I will work beside them anyday.

If you would like so info regarding my friends experiences please pm me and I will tell you honestly anything I know although it is second hand info.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Traitor.
    You probably already have a "fitz" in your surname anyway.

[MOD]Infraction.

Come on, Goldie, I've let you slide enough times. You should know better than to be that aggressive against an individual.[/MOD]

[MOD]Infraction.

Come on, Goldie, I've let you slide enough times. You should know better than to be that aggressive against an individual.[/MOD]

Which part was being agressive?

Calling him Fitz, or traitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

Eh I know I don't post much in these parts but some of you guys are been very aggressive to a young chap who is just asking questions on the Internet from people who seem to have a large interest in the military, I presume he read any number of your previous posts, formed an opinion that you may be able to tell him some things.

I'm even reluctant to post thus as I feel that as I may stir a hornets nest.

The FFL will do the weeded out you chaps don't have too.

as to his suitability as a candidate in the PDF.

I would prefer a person to give me their own opinion an interview if they can support that with a logical argument then great but his opinion on her majesty's forces would never be asked so its a moot point.

This forum as gone to sh!te.

Quit bitching and whining. Shut up or answer his questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

• Registered Users Posts: 8 James09ufc

Hi I'm a 26 year old man from Ireland, iv always had a huge interest in the military since a young teen.

After years of trying trying a life in my fathers business I decided it wasn't for me an applied for the Irish army only for 2 years of emails from DF telling me to hold out till the recruiting started (due to ressesion) while they held my birth certificate along with everything else. Anyway eventually I was told they were not recruiting in the near future so I traveled to Australia to satisfy my urge for adventure. Back a few months now an as much as I loved it an have many friends to go back out to I just don't think I'll ever be happy until I get into a military career I crave an want so much!

Anyways enough of my life story!

I'm flying to France late January I consider myself reasonably fit just want some advice on joining the legion an what to expect?

Many thanks in advance

• Advertisement
Advertisement