Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a new political party for Kerry be viable?

Options
  • 13-12-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I ask because it is clear that Kerry has not been given its fair share of economic opportunities in the last 10-15 years. The rate of population growth in the 2011 Census was slower than in any other county. The IDA has not attracted investment into the county for well over a decade. And now it looks as if the Shannon LNG is going to follow the path of the GPCE into oblivion. It is clear that a new party needs to be formed to champion the interests of the county and to campaign for increased control over our own destinies. So does anyone think that such a party would work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

I ask because it is clear that Kerry has not been given its fair share of economic opportunities in the last 10-15 years. The rate of population growth in the 2011 Census was slower than in any other county. The IDA has not attracted investment into the county for well over a decade. And now it looks as if the Shannon LNG is going to follow the path of the GPCE into oblivion. It is clear that a new party needs to be formed to champion the interests of the county and to campaign for increased control over our own destinies. So does anyone think that such a party would work?

When you vote in people like JHR and MHR what do you expect?
    When I hear of the youth of Kerry emigrating I'd like to ask their parents who they voted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 YoungIreland

tony007 wrote: »
    When I hear of the youth of Kerry emigrating I'd like to ask their parents who they voted for.

Whatever you may think about the Healy-Rae's, at least they have done something for the county, compared to the other politicians. Even then, that is woefully inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Still a fair enough point.
    But I think most the country are wondering why the hell who is in power is in power.
    Double edged sword.
    Its said you deserve the politicians you vote in, but I seem never to be voting for any of the guys that I end up with.
    Democracy sucks when your in the minority.
    Especially when the majority vote in these pack of self serving gobsh*tes

shanered wrote: »
    Still a fair enough point.
    But I think most the country are wondering why the hell who is in power is in power.
    Double edged sword.
    Its said you deserve the politicians you vote in, but I seem never to be voting for any of the guys that I end up with.
    Democracy sucks when your in the minority.
    Especially when the majority vote in these pack of self serving gobsh*tes

Which is exactly where a new political party might shake things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

But if you set up a Kerry party, you will only get a couple of seats in Kerry at best. I don't see the benefit.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    But if you set up a Kerry party, you will only get a couple of seats in Kerry at best. I don't see the benefit.

Even with a couple of seats, one can get into coalition, especially with proportional representation. If there were an interest in setting up parties in other counties, the Kerry party could make an electoral pact with them.

And it has been done before on a smaller scale. Look at the Letterkenny Residents Party. The SKIA nearly took a Dail seat last time out. If the time and effort was put into such a party, it is very possible that such a party could get several council seats, if not be challenging for a seat in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭leedslad

Have ye forgotten already about the magnificent sports complex that O'Donoghue built for ye down there?

leedslad wrote: »
    Have ye forgotten already about the magnificent sports complex that O'Donoghue built for ye down there?

Killarney is not doing too badly, but look at the rest of the county, especially the north and you will instantly see that things are not great at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

tony007 wrote: »

+1

The election of the Healy-Raes sends out a terrible PR message as regards trying to attract outside investment to Kerry.

In terms of a new Kerry party I seriously doubt there is any potential whatsoever.

Currently you have two "independent" FF TDs and one FG TD in Kerry South and one SF, one L and one FG in Kerry North. Given the fact that Kerry is likely to be a 5 seater next time out, I find it very hard to see a new party having any sort of impact. While there is technically 2 independents there,
    both Fleming and Healy-Rae would be regarded as pretty much FF in all but name.

As against that Mick Gleeson in South Kerry Independent Alliance SKIA did very well last time out coming ahead of the Labour candidate and coming ahead of John O'Donohgue. It would have been very interesting to see how things would had played out if Tom Sheahan had been eliminated before him.
    There was 200 odd votes in the difference between the two and Gleeson would surely have picked up a huge chunk of Sheahan's transfers (especially on geographic grounds) However I seriously doubt Gleeson will be a candidate in 2016 and a huge chunk of his vote would have been a personal vote as opposed to an ideological vote. While he didnt have a party machine behind him he had a very solid background in terms of local level politics having served on both Kerry County Council and Killarney Urban District Council.

If I had to guess at the likely candidates next time out will be all six current TDs

Michael Healy Rae
    Brendan Griffin
    Tom Flemming
    Arthur Spring
    Jimmy Deenihan
    Martin Ferris (possibly might hand this off to the daughter)

All of the following seem likely to be running as well

Tom McEllistrim - was supposedly canvassing in Killarney recently :eek:
    Marie Moloney - was appointed to the Senate and should be boosted by Gleeson likely not to be running
    John O'Donoghue - This is my swimming pool. :eek:

A few more are likely to come out of the woodwork as well.

A key factor will be what happens in terms of an official FF candidate. I find it hard to see official FF selecting John O'Donoghue which would mean that there could be 3 unofficial Fianna Fail candidates in the running plus probably 2 official Fianna candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Whatever you may think about the Healy-Rae's, at least they have done something for the county, compared to the other politicians. Even then, that is woefully inadequate.

They've done far more harm than good.

And what little good they have done (building roads) was primarily as a means of enriching themselves.

• Advertisement

68Murph68 wrote: »
    They've done far more harm than good.

And what little good they have done (building roads) was primarily as a means of enriching themselves.

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

In my experience people are retarded when it gets to political parties.
    'Yerra my faaather voted for him so I will too'
    'Yerra he fixshed the potholes.
    'Yerra he's a sound man'
    Its impossible to be upbeat about any politician in this country!
    It's all a complete load of bollox in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

You really need a Minister in the county to win investment at the cabinet table.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Not a hope in hell.

+1

The election of the Healy-Raes sends out a terrible PR message as regards trying to attract outside investment to Kerry.

In terms of a new Kerry party I seriously doubt there is any potential whatsoever.

Currently you have two "independent" FF TDs and one FG TD in Kerry South and one SF, one L and one FG in Kerry North. Given the fact that Kerry is likely to be a 5 seater next time out, I find it very hard to see a new party having any sort of impact. While there is technically 2 independents there,
    both Fleming and Healy-Rae would be regarded as pretty much FF in all but name.

As against that Mick Gleeson in South Kerry Independent Alliance SKIA did very well last time out coming ahead of the Labour candidate and coming ahead of John O'Donohgue. It would have been very interesting to see how things would had played out if Tom Sheahan had been eliminated before him.
    There was 200 odd votes in the difference between the two and Gleeson would surely have picked up a huge chunk of Sheahan's transfers (especially on geographic grounds) However I seriously doubt Gleeson will be a candidate in 2016 and a huge chunk of his vote would have been a personal vote as opposed to an ideological vote. While he didnt have a party machine behind him he had a very solid background in terms of local level politics having served on both Kerry County Council and Killarney Urban District Council.

If I had to guess at the likely candidates next time out will be all six current TDs

Michael Healy Rae
    Brendan Griffin
    Tom Flemming
    Arthur Spring
    Jimmy Deenihan
    Martin Ferris (possibly might hand this off to the daughter)

All of the following seem likely to be running as well

Tom McEllistrim - was supposedly canvassing in Killarney recently :eek:
    Marie Moloney - was appointed to the Senate and should be boosted by Gleeson likely not to be running
    John O'Donoghue - This is my swimming pool. :eek:

A few more are likely to come out of the woodwork as well.

A key factor will be what happens in terms of an official FF candidate. I find it hard to see official FF selecting John O'Donoghue which would mean that there could be 3 unofficial Fianna Fail candidates in the running plus probably 2 official Fianna candidates.

Obviously, I agree that it won't have an overnight impact. However, there will be 3 extra seats on the county council, so if it had a good shot at one of them,it wouldn't be too bad.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell.

Mebyon Kernow seem to be doing OK in Cornwall (to use an example of a similar party in the UK)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebyon_Kernow

Mebyon Kernow seem to be doing OK in Cornwall (to use an example of a similar party in the UK)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebyon_Kernow

But they haven't got the GAA in Cornwall.

But they haven't got the GAA in Cornwall.

I know, if Comhar Ciarrai ( to use a possible name for the party) tapped into the GAA, and the consequent local pride that springs from that, it could work.

I know, if Comhar Ciarrai ( to use a possible name for the party) tapped into the GAA, and the consequent local pride that springs from that, it could work.

.. and we'd end up with the same old ineffectual people that we've got now, not mentioning any names of course.

One of the Kerry MEPs got elected purely because of his GAA connections, and he's no more a politician than my dog.

.. and we'd end up with the same old ineffectual people that we've got now, not mentioning any names of course.

One of the Kerry MEPs got elected purely because of his GAA connections, and he's no more a politician than my dog.

OK, does anybody have better ideas as to how to improve our situation,since there doesn't seem to be much support for a new party?

• Advertisement

OK, does anybody have better ideas as to how to improve our situation,since there doesn't seem to be much support for a new party?

Ask the other political parties if they'd like to put forward some proper dynamic candidates instead of the ones they've lumbered us with now.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

As long as the party is not made up of hurling fans, they should do OK in Kerry
    Chontae Chiarrai is not known for their prowess in hurling.

coolhull wrote: »
    As long as the party is not made up of hurling fans, they should do OK in Kerry
    Chontae Chiarrai is not known for their prowess in hurling.

I think it would be necessary, though, to use hurling in the region of North Kerry, um how do I describe it, bounded by the river Cashen/Feale and the N69.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

And that's what you'd expect from politicians who epitomise that sort of clientelism. As soon as you start asking 'what's in it for me' rather than 'can he/she do the best job for the country' then you're on a very slippery slope and have effectively ditched any expectations of good governance

What the OP is essentially asking for is a more efficient JHR. I'd suggest that a more rational response would be to say away with that sort of parish pump politicians altogether. Kerry would benefit more from an efficient central government in which politicians actually did their job rather than trying to build provincial empires and line their pockets

Reekwind wrote: »
    And that's what you'd expect from politicians who epitomise that sort of clientelism. As soon as you start asking 'what's in it for me' rather than 'can he/she do the best job for the country' then you're on a very slippery slope and have effectively ditched any expectations of good governance

What the OP is essentially asking for is a more efficient JHR. I'd suggest that a more rational response would be to say away with that sort of parish pump politicians altogether. Kerry would benefit more from an efficient central government in which politicians actually did their job rather than trying to build provincial empires and line their pockets

Centralisation has only resulted in Dublin benefiting and everyone else left behind. Is this what we want in Ireland?

Centralisation has only resulted in Dublin benefiting and everyone else left behind. Is this what we want in Ireland?

Our local politicians are supposed to use their influence to benefit the whole country, and if they're useless at their jobs, their constituencies never get the benefit of proper representation. This won't change until the electorate start electing people for their qualifications and political skills and stop electing them because they were once good at kicking a ball around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Can I say something?

When you elect a TD, you elect a TD as part of the 166 strong parliament that is supposed to be running the country. What this voting for county interests has got us is a pantomime attended by 166 gombeens in Kildare Street, Dublin. What we have running (err... ruining) this country is a complete embarrassment and I seriously do think we Irish in general are better than that!

We need a government that serves the people and puts the likes of IBEC, the big farmers, big speculators, developers, ideological interests etc. firmly in their place. A state should do three things: 1) Regulate, 2) Protect the Vulnerable, 3) Provide Infrastructure. This won't happen as long as we vote for the local bypass etc instead of what's good for the country as a whole - if in doubt, just look at where we are now! If we're going to continue voting for local interests, we may a well declare 26 tiny independent states - in the case, I'd be Meathian (or something like that) instead of Irish.

Seriously, we all need to get a grip!

If any politicians in North Kerry have actually done anything for Kerry for example, I'd be interested in knowing what it was because I've seen nor heard nothing that gives any indication that they have.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

They've done little for the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

Can I say something?

When you elect a TD, you elect a TD as part of the 166 strong parliament that is supposed to be running the country. What this voting for county interests has got us is a pantomime attended by 166 gombeens in Kildare Street, Dublin. What we have running (err... ruining) this country is a complete embarrassment and I seriously do think we Irish in general are better than that!

We need a government that serves the people and puts the likes of IBEC, the big farmers, big speculators, developers, ideological interests etc. firmly in their place. A state should do three things: 1) Regulate, 2) Protect the Vulnerable, 3) Provide Infrastructure. This won't happen as long as we vote for the local bypass etc instead of what's good for the country as a whole - if in doubt, just look at where we are now! If we're going to continue voting for local interests, we may a well declare 26 tiny independent states - in the case, I'd be Meathian (or something like that) instead of Irish.

Seriously, we all need to get a grip!
    I agree with you ...but Kerry has not being looked after by anyone.
    In fact has lost plenty in every area.

Yes the system needs to change...but country needs to look at where jobs, infrastructure, development are required and look at who is at least getting a fair deal.
    Yes things will be centralised in the bigger towns/cities which is ok. but local areas need transport etc

Advertisement