Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a new political party for Kerry be viable?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Centralisation has only resulted in Dublin benefiting and everyone else left behind. Is this what we want in Ireland?
    And that's the big political myth in Ireland: the idea that the only way to stop those bureaucrats is to elect a local lad who'll go up there and tell those Jackeens what's what. It's nonsense

The reality is that the political system that we have today works entirely in the favour of those local dynasty politicians whose only concern is getting a piece of the pie. Centralisation has come about because politicians, and you couldn't pick a better example than South Kerry's JHR, are too busy enhancing their own pockets/profiles to be doing their job: actually running this country and reigning in the Civil Service

The result is that you have 166 TDs, from every county, supposedly watching out for their constituents' interests and trying to score a sweet deal for the folks back home. At the same time you have a hyper-centralised government bureaucracy that no one's actually supervising. No one's actually at the helm

So when anyone calls for a specific political party for Kerry or the People's Republic of Cork or wherever, you're just rephrasing JHR's old argument, the same story that every TD tells their constituents: vote for me and I'll get you a sweet deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Centralisation has only resulted in Dublin benefiting and everyone else left behind. Is this what we want in Ireland?

Part of the problem in providing services in this country is that the population is too spread out. Pick any secondary road in the country and if you don't pass a house every 100 yards I'll be shocked. We would benefit from more centralisation in my view. The regional development planning in the past has indeed left a lot to be desired but everyone in this country wants world class service on their doorstep.

Every now and then you see a story in the paper complaining that someone has to travel 3 hours for treatment for some condition. Well if you choose to live in the arse end of nowhere then these are the consequences. No country, no matter how wealthy, can provide these services on everyone's doorstep.

Regarding the possibility of a local party I think that it would be a major step backwards. We should be electing representatives to our NATIONAL parliament to deal with NATIONAL issues, not to try and build a road or a sports centre in their backyard. Which constituency a representative is elected from should be incidental to what they do in the parliament.

I would however like to see the emergence of a new national party before the next election. A party with a clearly defined rational agenda on all social and economic issues who will do exactly what they promise. Starting with cutting TDs' and Senators' pay and pensions down to the average industrial equivalents. Wishful thinking eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

fatalll wrote: »
    I agree with you ...but Kerry has not being looked after by anyone.
    In fact has lost plenty in every area.

Yes the system needs to change...but country needs to look at where jobs, infrastructure, development are required and look at who is at least getting a fair deal.
    Yes things will be centralised in the bigger towns/cities which is ok. but local areas need transport etc

I know where you are coming from, but it's really swings and roundabouts - take the N21 Adare to Abbeyfeale Road Scheme (a proper link to Kerry) for example - it was opposed by locals who didn't want their towns bypassed - this really annoyed me. My view is that Kerry got up off it's backside and made itself a serious tourist destination (even if some of it is a bit stage Irish) and seems to have worked hard to stay there. Now, why should other areas who don't seem to have worked quite as hard have the right to deny motorists traveling to Kerry a decent road (a road that would surely bring more tourists etc.), just because some people along the way seemingly want easy business from a captive audience. If I was running the country and the finances weren't in such a state, I'd make it my business that the N21 Upgrade went ahead - I'd even consider a motorway there.

What I'm really saying is the Kerry gained in some ways, but has also lost out to parish pump politics as the said scheme was AFAIK scrapped, rather than suspended.

Regards!

Advertisement