Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

My grandfather, when he was alive, told a story about when he was a younger man being employed with 2 or 3 other local men to regularly upkeep the large old land-owner house in the area. None of the men liked the job, but as it was well paid none ever refused. They were usually hired to paint, fix loose tiles, repair windows and paint the outside wood work. The work usually took a week or two every Summer, more depending on the jobs needed doing, I guess.

My grandfather said no matter the heat of the day it was always a cold and drafty place and the men’s jackets were off when out walking the roads home, but their jackets were rarely off when around the outside of house unless it was a particularly difficult job up on the roof in the sun. There was no banter, laughs, they just put their heads down and did the job as quickly as they could, saving the jokes/ the talk for the walk back out the drive onto the public road.

My grandfather always had dogs and at that time one of his dogs went everywhere with him. The dog, however, would never go down the lane to that house, but sit at the gate on the road waiting for the men to walk back up to the road.

He would never go into too much detail, don’t think he wanted to scare us youngsters.. but I do think he saw or heard a thing or two that frightened him. He did say once he had to go and work at the house on his own one day and said afterwards never again and always made sure another lad was with him to do the jobs. He was an articulate, well-read man and no doubt was able to persuade the owner whatever job needed doing it require two or more men to do it.

I wish I listened more carefully to his stories when I was younger.. he had many. When you’re young, you think they will live forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SidekickSimon

I am fairly certain animals see and hear things that people cant.... not necessarily supernatural things but its possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I am fairly certain animals see and hear things that people cant.... not necessarily supernatural things but its possible

I think animals can pick up on a change of energy that makes them more wary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

steddyeddy wrote: »
    A weird one, but recently I was in Colorado, doing some work for the US dept of energy. A staff scientist there and ex-park ranger offers to bring me up to Pike's national park. Nonchalantly he points to a location where he's seen bear, coyote, elk and Sasquatch as in bigfoot. He didn't enlarge on it apart from saying it never got down on four legs, it wasn't a bear and it was what it was. Here was a man of exceptionally high intelligence, adept at knowing the local wildlife who believes he seen a large 7 foot wild man in the forest. That was creepy.

Any chance it was this looked like this??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

DanMurphy wrote: »
    This house is about four hundred years old and I'll have lived here forty years next June.
    Ghosts?
    I used to be a skeptic, but not anymore.
    There's history here, as in any house that age.
    I've researched the place as best I could when I first bought it back in 1978 as that's how I am...curious about local history.
    I spoke to the old folks, some in their 90s, and an old man of 102 gave me the 'run down' on the history of the house.
    I reared my family here, and they're all left home now and my first wife died twelve years ago.
    Every member of the family had ' ghostly experiences' in this house.

I hesitate to say this on an open forum, but shortly after her death I saw my late wife here.
    She walked down the hall toward me and into the kitchen where I was.
    She was wearing her 'not a happy camper'/ distressed /' I've lost my handbag' look on her face, and wearing the clothes we buried her in. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. (I think I done both at the same time)

Her 'presence' lasted about five seconds as we stood face to face.
    I don't know which of us was the most shocked, and her expression changed suddenly from 'unhappy camper' to 'Thanks God....there you are!'

My kids used to 'see' a clergyman on the stairs, peeking through the banisters at them as they lay in bed.
    Sure enough, there was an incident here in the distant past before we came here involving a clergyman. It made the papers at the time.

Footsteps upstairs, 'people' seen with the corner of the eye crossing the landing, ''someone' sitting on the bed in the middle of the night and you're **** scared to look up, though you're wide awake!

Shortly before my wife died (we slept in single beds in the same room) I woke to see a figure bending over her as if whispering in her ear!
    I jumped up in bed, and the 'figure' slowly vanished.
    I had seen that 'figure' before, but outside the house in the yard.

I know, I know...imagination is a great thing and there are die-hard skeptics, but still...

No sleep for me tonight anyway.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Loving that this thread is so busy lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

steddyeddy wrote: »
    A weird one, but recently I was in Colorado, doing some work for the US dept of energy. A staff scientist there and ex-park ranger offers to bring me up to Pike's national park. Nonchalantly he points to a location where he's seen bear, coyote, elk and Sasquatch as in bigfoot. He didn't enlarge on it apart from saying it never got down on four legs, it wasn't a bear and it was what it was. Here was a man of exceptionally high intelligence, adept at knowing the local wildlife who believes he seen a large 7 foot wild man in the forest. That was creepy.

I'd believe it. There's strange things in the forests around The States. A few years ago, I was in California for the summer and we went camping off the beaten track in Yosemite one weekend with two mates. Woke up around half 3 in the morning one of the nights and could hear something bipedal walking and rustling around the campsite, and assumed it was one of the lads going to the toilet or something. The campfire had long died out, but the moon was full so there was some ambient light around the tent.

Next thing I see this huge, and I mean huge shape walk between the moonlight and my tent. Shít was shat and I lay there listening and praying it was just one of the lads messing with me. I heard whatever it was move off into the brush about 15 yards from the tent and that was it. I didn't go back asleep and at first light I woke the lads up to tell them. They were sound asleep the whole time and said it was probably a bear.

I got one of the lads to walk past the tent where whatever it was did the night before and there was just no comparison to whatever it was. It was at least a foot taller and twice as wide as my mate. Pretty sure they didn't fully believe me and just kept saying it was a bear. Don't think bears can walk on two legs though :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Duff wrote: »
    Don't think bears can walk on two legs though :confused:

Just sayin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

That video is unsettling. I guess it is possible then, but I don't see why a bear would be walking around a campsite unnaturally on two legs but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I used to work as a tour guide in Ireland and would frequently visit Baltimore in west cork. (10 years or so ago)
    As the guide you often got the worst room available for accommodation
    While all the paying guests were in guest houses I used to be accommodated in a room above the Algiers pub which was closed at the time(not sure about now). Eerie enough being in a place that is usually frequented by many but having it to yourself was creepy.
    The stairs creaked and the upstairs room had two beds in it.(not set up for guests just spare beds with bed sheets)
    First night I stayed i felt i was being watched as i went to sleep. Then between 4-4:30 i woke to the feeling of someone tugging at the bed cover. I sat bolt up right but nothing there.
    Next day I thought about it and felt the experience wasn't a positive one at all, very negative vibes. That night i decided I needed to load up on drink to sleep through whatever it was in the middle of the night.
    Then 4:30am the same tugging on the sheets to awaken me. Room felt extremely unwelcoming. I couldn't bare it so got up and slept in the van outside.

I mentioned it to no-one and then later that summer was talking to two different tour guides who were housed there at different times. They experienced the same events at similar hours of the night without me disclosing any information about my experiences to them.
    I asked around in Baltimore but found no information on experiences there.
    Even to this day i feel the hairs stand on the back of my head.
    Later that summer i had to do the same tour but i slept in the van- no way was i going inside.

Maybe someone here knows some information on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭huddlejonny

One late summer evening after dusk I was fly fishing on the River Lee. I was standing in a shallow part of the water about a metre from the river bank.

I had my back towards the reeds and long grass behind me, where I had to shuffle through the overgrown vegetation to get access to this part of the river.

This particular night I could hear from behind me some sort of large creature making its way towards me through the long bull rushes. I could actually see the waist high vegatation flatten with every step this animal took towards me. It was like slow motion as the creature ambled out into a little clearing on the rivers edge no more than 2 metres away from me. At first I thought it was a big badger but as it got closer I saw the colouring of its fur and it looked like a giant killer rat or a dark rabbit with menacing teeth at the front of its mouth.

I started stamping in the water to scare it and then picked up a rock and threw it on the ground next to it. The creature didn't take much notice of me and just sauntered on around me down along the rivers edge. I'll admit it was pretty unnerving standing alone in a river at nightime with a large beast coming at me.

My heart was thumping so loud I think I scared him off so I decided I'd had enough fishing for one night and left. The only problem was I had to cut through the vegetation where this yoke had just come from and walk 5 minutes through a farmers field full of waist high crops that ( in my mind at that point )was filled with giant killer rabbits with razor sharp teeth and a penchant for human blood.

But it wasn't until a year later I happened across an article in the Examiner by chance about the inadvertent introduction of a breed of giant rodents into nearby small river by the Lee a year previous to when I was there. So in the end it was a Coypu that disturbed my fishing that night, funnily enough I haven't gone back there since.

The Coypu:

The South American natives look like a very large rat, weighing between five and nine kilos, and measuring as long as a metre from the head to the tip of the long tail.
    The coypu has dark fur with lighter ends, a white muzzle, long cylindrical tail and distinctive orange or yellow teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Duff wrote: »
    That video is unsettling. I guess it is possible then, but I don't see why a bear would be walking around a campsite unnaturally on two legs but you never know.

That's the beauty of the creepiness in many of these stories.

There is a logical explanation, but you just can't quite believe it deep down having gone through the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Beethoven9th

This is not something that happened to me personally but more of an interesting family story that goes back 130 years! My grandmother was born in 1900 and died in 1990, it was her who told me this story when I was about 18 years old. Hard to beat fireside stories with granny!
    Her mother was born in Limerick and as a teenager moved to London to seek work and to live with her sister who was already there. The year was 1888. They were living in the Spitalfields area of the East End, herself and her sister. So my great grandmother found a job in a public house in the Whitechapel area of London, I think it was called ‘The Frying Pan’ pub. It was a rough pub, a real gin shop, frequented mostly by prostitutes and local villians. There was another young Irish girl called Mary working in the same pub and it turned out Mary was from Limerick too originally so they became friends as they were about the same age and they hung around a lot in their spare time. Unfortunately Mary was very fond of the drink and ended up losing her job in the pub and falling on hard times. No social welfare assistance in those days, so Mary ended up falling into prostitution as a way to survive, just making enough to get some food, more drink and if lucky afford a place to stay the night.
    My great grandmother was working in the bar late one night when Mary came in with a man, whom she guessed was a ‘client’. She said Mary was very drunk that night, she was singing and they were drinking ‘cans of beer’. The man was not noteworthy in any way except he seemed quite sober compared to Mary. My great granny thought nothing more of it.
    The next she discovered that Mary had been brutally murdered in Millers Court. Marys full name was ‘Mary Jane Kelly’ and she was the reputed last victim of the serial killer known as ‘Jack the Ripper’. Probably the most famous serial killer in history who was never caught !
    Be advised if you google Mary Jane Kelly, its a pretty horrific murder !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

This is not something that happened to me personally but more of an interesting family story that goes back 130 years! My grandmother was born in 1900 and died in 1990, it was her who told me this story when I was about 18 years old. Hard to beat fireside stories with granny!
    Her mother was born in Limerick and as a teenager moved to London to seek work and to live with her sister who was already there. The year was 1888. They were living in the Spitalfields area of the East End, herself and her sister. So my great grandmother found a job in a public house in the Whitechapel area of London, I think it was called ‘The Frying Pan’ pub. It was a rough pub, a real gin shop, frequented mostly by prostitutes and local villians. There was another young Irish girl called Mary working in the same pub and it turned out Mary was from Limerick too originally so they became friends as they were about the same age and they hung around a lot in their spare time. Unfortunately Mary was very fond of the drink and ended up losing her job in the pub and falling on hard times. No social welfare assistance in those days, so Mary ended up falling into prostitution as a way to survive, just making enough to get some food, more drink and if lucky afford a place to stay the night.
    My great grandmother was working in the bar late one night when Mary came in with a man, whom she guessed was a ‘client’. She said Mary was very drunk that night, she was singing and they were drinking ‘cans of beer’. The man was not noteworthy in any way except he seemed quite sober compared to Mary. My great granny thought nothing more of it.
    The next she discovered that Mary had been brutally murdered in Millers Court. Marys full name was ‘Mary Jane Kelly’ and she was the reputed last victim of the serial killer known as ‘Jack the Ripper’. Probably the most famous serial killer in history who was never caught !

I was in London last year and one of the local street artists painted a mural of her. I cannot remember the artists name.

Edit: Found it. Jimmy C - https://silvertiger4.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/p1070535.jpg

evil_seed wrote: »
    I was in London last year and one of the local street artists painted a mural of her. I cannot remember the artists name.

Edit: Found it. Jimmy C - https://silvertiger4.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/p1070535.jpg

Beautiful mural !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SidekickSimon

Wow. Thats horrendous. Is that a body on that bed?, looks like an abattoir
    Isnt it weird the way in those days they would publish a picture of an actual murder scene and body! imagine that happening today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I used to bring my little dog to a nearby forest a couple of times a week for a good run around. The dog was in his element there and loved nothing more than to be let off the leash and go for a good run. There was a main path through the woods, about a mile long, which looped around. There was also a smaller path that veered off the main path and went deeper into the woods, that was the path I sometimes took. Several times I went on the smaller path I met a woman, about 35 years old, she was always wearing the same clothes, slightly old fashioned and quite tatty. My dog used to go crazy when we came across this woman, barking and growling, bearing his teeth in a snarl. This was unusual as my dog never barked at people, only other dogs. The woman never bothered about the dog, never even stopped to look at it. I would apologise to her for the dogs behaviour but she just stared ahead and kept on walking.
    One day on the smaller path we met the woman and as usual the dog went nuts, even before she appeared he was clearly distressed. She came along and went by, I kept him strained on the leash. I stopped for a few minutes there to calm the dog down, he was fine when the woman disappeared from view. A couple came along the path, from the same direction the woman had disappeared down. We got talking and I mentioned how my dog always goes nuts when that woman goes past, they said they had seen no one on the path except me. I thought this was odd but I guessed the woman must have walked into the woods and not met them.
    About a week later, same story, met the woman, dog goes nuts. A bit on up the path I came across workmen who were felling a tree, they said I couldn’t go any further, path was blocked. Out of curiosity I asked them how the woman had got past them, they said they had seen no one on the path that day.
    Never been fully explained but we stuck to the main path after that and never saw the lady again !

Weirdly,I had a similar experience.I used to go jogging next to a big river.I saw the same woman on two occasions a few weeks apart standing in the same spot,wearing the same clothes and again looking very distressed/shocked looking.She seems to be kinda starting into space.On the second occasion I was driving off in my car and she stared right at me with piercing eyes.It felt as if everything went into slow motion for a few seconds.I was going to stop and ask was she ok but I saw people in the distance.I regretted not stopping after and I never saw her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Weirdly,I had a similar experience.I used to go jogging next to a big river.I saw the same woman on two occasions a few weeks apart standing in the same spot,wearing the same clothes and again looking very distressed/shocked looking.She seems to be kinda starting into space.On the second occasion I was driving off in my car and she stared right at me with piercing eyes.It felt as if everything went into slow motion for a few seconds.I was going to stop and ask was she ok but I saw people in the distance.I regretted not stopping after and I never saw her again.
    Similar happened to me years ago. I was walking along one evening and saw a very elderly little man in a flat cap coming towards me in the distance. The path curved around a derilict house so I lost sight of him for less than 10 seconds, when I passed the house, expecting to meet him, he had vanished.
    He didn't cross the road and he couldn't have reached the house before me. There was a roughly 5 foot wall along the path with no gate and open wasteground on the other side. Not a chance in hell this old lad could have jumped the wall but I looked over to see if anyone was hiding behind it just in case. He had completely vanished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

Back in the 50s my mother,who was 17 at the time was staying alone in the family home. It was a three storey house and she was in bed on the top floor. Around 3 am the sound of the piano keys being hit woke her and she froze on the spot. This continued for some time and she was too terrified to move from the bed.
    Her father had always told her there is a rational explanation for everything, so eventually she decided to go downstairs and investigate (she's braver than me). It turned out to be a mouse running up and down the piano keys!

Sorry this didn't turn out to be truly scary, but it chilled her at the time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Back in the 50s my mother,who was 17 at the time was staying alone in the family home. It was a three storey house and she was in bed on the top floor. Around 3 am the sound of the piano keys being hit woke her and she froze on the spot. This continued for some time and she was too terrified to move from the bed.
    Her father had always told her there is a rational explanation for everything, so eventually she decided to go downstairs and investigate (she's braver than me). It turned out to be a mouse running up and down the piano keys!

Sorry this didn't turn out to be truly scary, but it chilled her at the time. :)

I was staying in a really old, creepy, cold, musty house for several months. Every night around 2am, I'd hear the sound of a typewriter slowly clicking away. It was a very clear sound, as though it was just in the middle of the room, and it often woke me up. Not going to lie, it creeped me out and it took a few weeks before I'd opened my eyes to check. Of course, I seen nothing but the sound remained. To make it worse, there was an old style typewriter tucked into the bookshelf downstairs.

It was only after the second month or so that the shrews that had made their home in the attic above my room made their way down to the kitchen and I figured out the source of the noise. Not entirely sure what the attic was floored with (or at all) to make the shrews sound exactly like a typewriter, but it disappeared when we got rid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Not creepy but definitely a near miss,

The folks got a new car a couple of years ago. It was the first one they had with parking sensors. About 6 weeks later mam was down the town doing some shopping. She turned on the car and the parking sensors were going mad. Checked all the mirrors but couldn't see a thing (she was in the middle of a car park) so turned off the car and turned it back on again. Sensors still going mad so she gets out to go check, and as she does notices two women frantically running over to her. Turns out a toddler had gotten out of an adjacent car as his mother was loading up the shopping and was casully sitting at the back wheel. Only for the sensors mam would have reversed out straight over the child. Its fair to say all concerned were fairly shook (except for the child who was none the wiser!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

same happened in our house one night when I was a child. except it was a cat got in through an open window and was running up and down the piano keyboard
    must have been after a mouse!

What could be more freaky than hearing a piano playing in an empty house in the middle of the night?
    Perhaps the sound of a window breaking !

Isnt it weird the way in those days they would publish a picture of an actual murder scene and body! imagine that happening today!
    The british tabloids got very bad for showing graphic photos around about the late 80's and into the 90's. One of those papers, maybe the sun, had a large picture of the head of a drug dealer from Italy I think who had been decapitated by rivals. I also remember a picture of a poor woman in Africa being hacked to death by a soldier with a machete. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

My wife's uncle told us a story over the weekend about coming face-to-face, literally with his double on a street in New York in the 1980s. Not just someone who looked like him, but someone who was, to all intents and purposes, him. He (the uncle) tried to talk to him but he just ran off.

Did your uncle say "Hello nice to meet you, I'm new in town, my nama Borat" and try shake his hand?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xR0w8OJiopg

Fair play to her for having the nerve to go and check it out. If it was me I'd still be hiding under the blankets and ****eing myself nightly over the ghostly piano player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What could be more freaky than hearing a piano playing in an empty house in the middle of the night?
    !
    If it was a proper tune I’d be properly freaked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If it was a proper tune I’d be properly freaked

Too scared can’t move .. too scared can’t move ... wait, is that Piano Man?

Sing us a song you’re the Piano Man

Yes its horrendous. She was unidentifiable at first as her face and much of her body had been torn apart in a frenzied attack. She was quite literaly 'ripped' up and could only be identified from her clothes and personal items...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Stumbled across this article by chance.Its from 2000 and about Sophie Toscan du Plantier.This about the castle I didn’t hear before.

On Friday, 20 December 1996, Sophie landed at Cork Airport (the security video shows her trundling a surprising amount of luggage) and drove to her house along the winding coast road in a rented Ford Fiesta. She chatted briefly with Denis Quinlan at the Courtyard Bar, in Schull, and with Tom Brosnan, the jovial owner of the Spar supermarket, both of whom she knew well. Over the weekend she visited many of her local haunts, including O'Sullivan's Pub, on the quayside in Crookhaven, a village that has recently become so popular with visiting French yachtsmen that it's known as 'little Saint-Tropez'. She also went for a walk on bleak Three Castle Head and called on some friends, with whom she had a strange, melancholy conversation. She said that, while walking, she had come upon the ruins of Dun Lough - or Black Lake - Castle, and had sensed some kind of menace. According to legend, the lake next to the castle is home to a female ghost who, if glimpsed, is supposed to be a harbinger of death. Afterwards, Sophie decided to return to Paris on 24 December, a few days earlier than she'd originally intended. That Sunday, she called her husband at 11pm and had what he recalls was a 'convivial' conversation.

At 10 o'clock the next morning, a neighbour found Sophie's body in the lane leading to her house.

https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2000/mar/12/life1.lifemagazine10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I was binge-watching stranger things the other day and I'd say within 10 minutes of finishing it the lamp on the table started flickering just like lamps often do in the series before something bad happens and then the power went out completely. Was expecting to see a demogorgon coming out through the wall but thankfully he never showed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Something freaky is happening every night, maybe the past 2 weeks after about an hour of falling asleep I either wake to a feeling I'm being pushed or the noise of a lamp being dragged across my bed side locker :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Something freaky is happening every night, maybe the past 2 weeks after about an hour of falling asleep I either wake to a feeling I'm being pushed or the noise of a lamp being dragged across my bed side locker :confused:

The cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Originally Posted by razorblunt View Post
    The impression I got is that he's around 5 and she was of similar age when that was happening. I think it was a case that they'd forgotten it happened until just now.
    They also haven't ruled out their daughter telling her brother about her friend of course.

Any update on this about if the daughter told the wee fella about the red shirted boy?? Steve F

gozunda wrote: »

Nope I make sure they are kept out, plus wouldnt explain the pushing feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Isn't animals being able to pick up on incoming weather/geoligcal events like tsunamis and hurricanes a definite and proven phenomena? And dogs sensing illnesses? (not as sure about the latter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭jiltloop

wakka12 wrote: »
    Isn't animals being able to pick up on incoming weather/geoligcal events like tsunamis and hurricanes a definite and proven phenomena? And dogs sensing illnesses? (not as sure about the latter)

Apparently soon there could be dogs trained to smell cancer as part of regular checkups so that's definitely based in fact.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There are already working dogs trained to smell dangerous blood sugar levels (both high and low), and they are assigned to diabetic people to signal when they're about to run into trouble. I've seen documentaries of other dogs used to smell cancer in the breath of people, others who can do it by smelling their urine, and others "obsessed" by certain moles on their owners' bodies that turned out to be cancerous. Mind you, I read recently (here? I can't remember) of a lady who can smell Parkinson's, and in a test she identified 12 people with the disease; the doctors thought there were only 11 in the group she tested, but less than three months later another one was diagnosed, confirming what that lady said in the first place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Can you get up to look around to see what is? I was gonna say maybe its sleep paralysis but I'm not sure.

I've woken up before to having the covers being dragged off me or at least it feels that way, its like I'm battling with someone at the end of the bed.

Can you get up to look around to see what is? I was gonna say maybe its sleep paralysis but I'm not sure.

I've woken up before to having the covers being dragged off me or at least it feels that way, its like I'm battling with someone at the end of the bed.

I do look around and nothings there, last night I gave out a loud "will ye stop ffs" tired me is cranky :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Refresh

Had my own creepy experience at night last night so thought I'd share with you all. Went to sleep as normal, sleeping on my side, and woke up not too long afterwards with a feeling of a cold hand, gripping the back of my neck in an aggressive way.

Luckily I quickly realised that I was in that state between being awake and asleep and it wasn't real and it slowly faded away. Were it not for me being interested in threads like these and their explanations I might not have reacted to calmly and logically.

Was this a type of sleep paralysis? I didn't move, but I think I could if I wanted to. I'm fairly sure no spirit was trying to assault me last night.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Refresh wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure no spirit was trying to assault me last night.

That's what they want you to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭huddlejonny

Refresh wrote: »
    Had my own creepy experience at night last night so thought I'd share with you all. Went to sleep as normal, sleeping on my side, and woke up not too long afterwards with
    a feeling of a cold hand, gripping the back of my neck in an aggressive way.

Luckily I quickly realised that I was in that state between being awake and asleep and it wasn't real and it slowly faded away. Were it not for me being interested in threads like these and their explanations I might not have reacted to calmly and logically.

Was this a type of sleep paralysis? I didn't move, but I think I could if I wanted to. I'm fairly sure no spirit was trying to assault me last night.

Sleep paralysis no... It was Harvey....Shhhh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Thats not a known common symptom of SP - but could be - Could have also been a spirit trying to assault you too though, you should have reached back and grabbed it by the bollox!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

The other day I was leaving work and there was a big can parked out front with the driver sitting there staring me out of it. I thought take a picture why don't you. Anyways reversed out of the space with the van in full view across the way and pulled level with it to realise there was no driver in it and no one had exited the van either in the time I was in the car park. Weird. I could draw you a picture of what the guy looked like it was that real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

screamer wrote: »
    The other day I was leaving work and there was a big can parked out front with the driver sitting there staring me out of it.

This him??

car-photo-shelby-cobra-budwiser-beer-funny.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

The past few days in this house i have seen shadows out of the corner of my eye.Then the other night clear as day,i heard someone cough behind me.Really loud.I had no telly on,kids where in bed.Really freaked me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Her 'presence' lasted about five seconds as we stood face to face.
    I don't know which of us was the most shocked, and her expression changed suddenly from 'unhappy camper' to 'Thanks God....there you are!'
    That's pretty sad. She must have gone back to being unhappy camper when it ended for her. I'd hate to think that there's a coming to terms with dying period after kicking the bucket. I'd sooner believe there was nothing.
    Sure enough, there was an incident here in the distant past before we came here involving a clergyman. It made the papers at the time.

What sort of incident? Will you tell us?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Sorry, but can't disclose anything due to a Court Order placed on the case and I'd guess still active.
    It happened many years ago in the 50's, (during a time three or four owners of this house before me)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flo09

While on holiday in France a few years ago we were driving to a kids indoor play centre. We got a bit lost so pulled over to double check the sat nav. No sooner had we parked up when this man approached our car. I noticed he was pulled in ahead of us. He was american but spoke to us in french. We explained we didnt speak french and then he spoke in english. After explaining we were looking for such and such a place he offered to drive to our destination so we could follow him.

He brought us to our destination but once we got there he seemed reluctant to leave us. He noticed our 3 children in the car and he seemed to second guess himself. There was another man waiting in his car for him. He kept shaking my husbands hand and then would go to walk off but then walk back again with some more small talk. He eventually left and once he did we drove off too. Very unnerving. Gives me shivers thinking about it. He was def up to something but thought better of it after seeing our children in the car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement