Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Been having some intense sleep paralysis the last few weeks. Waking up with a racing heartbeat, drenched in sweat.

I was also making weird gurgling sounds a few nights back. :pac:

It's scary because you're fully aware of what's happening. Feels like my heart is going to burst if I don't wake up.

The dreams leading up to these episodes are unreal, like something out of Dante's Inferno. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Couldn’t sleep the other night so decided at about 3am I’d sleep out on the couch.

Lay there and drifted off after an hour or so.
    Then I got sleep paralysis. The kind where I could see the living room around me which was extremely dark I was shaking violently trying to wake myself up with my eyes open but my body asleep.
    I could see a figure just standing there staring at me which looked like a silhouette of my GF. Eventually I woke up and bam nobody in the room. I get this kind of thing especially after alcohol and lack of sleep. Weird but I kind of enjoy it sometimes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Been having some intense sleep paralysis the last few weeks. Waking up with a racing heartbeat, drenched in sweat.

I was also making weird gurgling sounds a few nights back. :pac:

It's scary because you're fully aware of what's happening. Feels like my heart is going to burst if I don't wake up.

The dreams leading up to these episodes are unreal, like something out of Dante's Inferno. :pac:

That doesn't sound like sleep paralysis, just night terrors

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

shamrock55 wrote: »
    That doesn't sound like sleep paralysis, just night terrors

No it is, I've had it for yrs. I become aware that I'm dreaming while still in the dream. My body is completely paralysed and mouth feels like it is sewn shut.

What happens then is I begin to struggle to fully wake up and regain normal breathing capacity, which in turn leads to panic and increased heart rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

joeguevara wrote: »
    Hold on a second...Trex live on the moon?

They got jealous of hopping kangaroos and wanted to hop too!

No it is, I've had it for yrs. I become aware that I'm dreaming while still in the dream. My body is completely paralysed and mouth feels like it is sewn shut.

What happens then is I begin to struggle to fully wake up and regain normal breathing capacity, which in turn leads to panic and increased heart rate.

Have had episodes of this on the past, especially one time I was on a certain antibiotic where the side effects listed “vivid dreaming” and “sleep disorders”. Terrifying, reminds me a bit of a recent inner panic experience of having a spinal block induction for knee operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

We both lived in the countryside at the time..
    So one night I was walking home from my gf house along a small country rd, the type of road were you would be scared walking at the best of times.. anyway this particular night as made my way along the road, kinda walking fast and jogging as I'd be nervous enough back then in the pure darkness and lonely rd.. I could hear what sounded like rattling of metal or something,this freaked me out and I started jogging faster and kinda singing or humming, I was really nervous, but as I sped up the rattling noise sped up and got louder as if it was following me and about to burst into my body and make me dead... I definitely sprinted it down the Rd, I still had a half mile to go but I was home in about 10min's, I had the key in my hand and straight into the door lock,it was really like the movies, it seemed I nearly broke the key as I bursted through the door still loudly nervously singing or humming I forget......
    Anyway I never said anything to anyone,.the next day I went up the Rd all brave and stuff,.it was then I seen a lovely horse looking over the hedge at me and following me along as I walked,he musta had a chain or rope or something on his leg because I could here the same noise as he walked along!?

Last summer I stopped along the Antrim Coast Road and stayed in a historic atmospheric hotel for the night. At check-in I asked the friendly receptionist if this hotel was haunted like a similar one (which boasts it is) located further along on the same route. She said playfully “your particular room is ok as far as I know”. I retired to my splendid little room for the night, decorated with four poster bed, finely carved old dark wooden wardrobe, wonderfully patterned period wallpaper, and a view out to sea through original old Georgian glass. An absolute gem of a place. To amuse myself I did a funny video blog thing on my Facebook profile, scanning the elaborately decorated and dimly lit room with my phone camera whilst using a fake-scary fun voiceover about the place being full of ghosts, and quickly posted itamong friends. Next thing I got feedback of friends (including elderly sensible types) seeing faces of ghosts overlooking my four-poster bed and being really freaked out, asking if I had placed them there. I looked at the video posting for myself, but didn’t see any faces, however during recording my finger had accidentally slipped on the “SLO-MO” button, this distorting the whole video with the creepiest sound effects, no doubt facilitating viewers into seeing what they imagined to be there! I was forced to think logically, I was sleeping in that room on my own that night and had made that video at risk of scaring myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

A few months ago, a friend texted a Whatsapp group telling us that her cat had died suddenly. Sent a message back saying how sorry I was to hear the news. Went back to reading, when the next thing I heard really loud meow, and it sounded like it was in the house. And then another. Now I have a cat myself, but she was sound asleep right beside me, and didn't stir with the noise. Freaked out and looked around, including outside, but no sign of another cat. Sometimes I still hear the meow, but am used to it at this stage

TL:DR, I have a ghost cat in my house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

bogwalrus wrote: »
    This is a long story but something that is still creeping me out and I have no answer for it.

A few weeks ago my wife and I booked a cottage on Airbnb outside caherciveen for a night. A relative was celebrating their birthday in the town and we just wanted a place to crash the night before because of the long commute.

All correspondence with the host was done on the app. A nice man who said he would be there to meet us when we arrived. On the drive down I got a very strange text message from an unknown number going on about leaving "the bags" in the shed at the back of the house. The message also said that a key would be left underneath a pot at the front of the house. My wife read out the text cause I was driving, figured it was a wrong number. Anyway we got to caherciveen around 9:30pm and turned on the Google maps to get the exact location of the Airbnb. I had an address and a fair idea of where about the Airbnb was but some accurate directions from Google is always nice. Pulled out the phone and zero signal. No signal in caherciveen with Tesco mobile I'm afraid.

The host was expecting us at around 8:30 and I didn't have a chance to message him on the app to say we were running late. I also didn't get a message from him so I figured it wasnt an issue.

Anyway to get directions I called a cousin that was attending the party and originally from the town and gave him the address. He gave me a good idea of how to get to the Airbnb and we eventually arrived at our destination.

It was around 10:30 when we arrived. There was only an outside porch light on and the host was not there to meet us. I spotted a potted plant right by the door and then it clicked. Maybe the message was for us and he was saying he was leaving a key out and maybe we were to put our bin bags in the shed. It all made sense now. There was indeed a key under the pot. We let ourselves in and there was a very strong smell of turf coming from the place. It was also very warm in there. My wife went into the sitting room and could see that the host had lit a fire for us which was pretty much gone out now but still quite hot. We thought it was a bit dangerous to leave an open fire like that.

We were both exhausted from the journey so we left our bags near the door and pretty much went straight to bed in the first room we could find. We were also still using our phones as torches because we had no idea where the bloody light switches were. We did find the bedroom light though.

I fell straight to sleep while my wife wandered off to find the bathroom to brush her teeth.

The next morning I was woken up by a car in the yard. I figured it was the host so got out of bed and walked to the front door. I could see a grey Corolla driving out of the yard and down the lane. I was a bit freaked out to he honest. I went in to my wife who was still in bed and said that the car drove off. She said it was probably the host checking to see if we arrived. He probably saw our car and figured it was too early or something. That's fair enough I thought. I asked the wife where the toilet was and she said it was in the ensuite next door. So I went into the ensuite and was instantly freaked out. The room was a mess with the blankets all undone, clothes on the floor and coming out of the drawers. The bathroom was also in a state. And guess what. The bloody window was open. This is where the doubt set in......

Maybe that message was not for me, maybe people leave keys under pots all the time, maybe my cousin gave us the wrong directions, maybe that wasnt the host in the Corolla in the yard, Maybe we stayed the night in someone else's house and maybe when my wife went to use the bathroom the owner was lying there in bed.......

Dude seriously, wtf happened next??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    Not sure if this qualifies but it has been on my mind all day. My eldest girl still lives at home but has been house hunting for about a year. She viewed a house last week and didn't really pass much comment to me about it, her Dad is the go to person for such stuff. This morning before I woke I had a vivid dream that she had bought the house and I was giving her the Christmas decoration with her photo in it that I hang on the tree every year so that she could put it on her own tree. I have felt a bit sad all day and didn't connect it to the dream at all. When she got home from work this evening she told me her offer on the house had been accepted. I had no idea she had even put an offer in. I am putting it down to Mammy instincts :)

I went to see the house with my daughter yesterday and the back garden was near enough identical to the one in my dream, a paved area and a raised lawn with wood edging. I nearly sh1t myself when I saw it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Last summer I stopped along the Antrim Coast Road and stayed in a historic atmospheric hotel for the night. At check-in I asked the friendly receptionist if this hotel was haunted like a similar one (which boasts it is) located further along on the same route. She said playfully “your particular room is ok as far as I know”. I retired to my splendid little room for the night, decorated with four poster bed, finely carved old dark wooden wardrobe, wonderfully patterned period wallpaper, and a view out to sea through original old Georgian glass. An absolute gem of a place. To amuse myself I did a funny video blog thing on my Facebook profile, scanning the elaborately decorated and dimly lit room with my phone camera whilst using a fake-scary fun voiceover about the place being full of ghosts, and quickly posted itamong friends. Next thing I got feedback of friends (including elderly sensible types) seeing faces of ghosts overlooking my four-poster bed and being really freaked out, asking if I had placed them there. I looked at the video posting for myself, but didn’t see any faces, however during recording my finger had accidentally slipped on the “SLO-MO” button, this distorting the whole video with the creepiest sound effects, no doubt facilitating viewers into seeing what they imagined to be there! I was forced to think logically, I was sleeping in that room on my own that night and had made that video at risk of scaring myself!

Where was that? The bushmills inn by any chance. Just so as I know never to stay there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I was sitting in the sitting room one summer day and was sort of drifting of and then I hear a hello.....
    Followed by another 3 or 4 hello.....

Turns out it was one of my cats but I could have sworn it was a person as the front door was open and he had come back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I was sitting in the sitting room one summer day and was sort of drifting of and then I hear a hello.....
    Followed by another 3 or 4 hello.....

Turns out it was one of my cats but I could have sworn it was a person as the front door was open and he had come back in.

Those pets are cleverer than you think.

My neighbours dog can talk!

I called over last week, neighbour said the dog drank half a bottle of beer the night before, jokingly I asked the dog how he felt...

I'll be f**ked if he didn't tell me he felt rough........

timthumbni wrote: »
    Where was that? The bushmills inn by any chance. Just so as I know never to stay there..

The historically named Londonderry Arms (named after Winston Churchill’s granny who founded the coaching inn) in lovely super-friendly Carnlough, which has beautiful easy walks into the hills behind. It’s far cheaper than tbe rivals on the Coast, and at risk of giving the utterly wrong inpression I have anything to do with the establishment, I absolutely highly recommend this place for value for money and first class hospitality. As a solo traveller they gave me genuine good value,something all too rare in Ireland and beyond. Absolutely terrific breakfast, during which I learned the life story of the lovely lady in charge, indeed standing at the bus stop back for Larne/Belfast I learned even more about the locals’ everyday issues. All very like Scotland across the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Regarding my long post about the Airbnb in caherciveen. Sorry for leaving yee hanging.

It was actually the right airbnb. The photos on the listing matched it. I checked the same day. I never got in touch with the host because the most likely story was that he waited for us and because we didn't arrive at the time he decided to stay there himself. Maybe he lived far away or something. That's my guess anyway. TBH the listing didn't actually say entire home but it also didn't suggest we would be staying with the owner. So I'm gonna leave this experience behind me and hope it doesn't happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

This is going to sound a bit mad.

A few weeks ago I was in the kitchen ironing....house was silent otherwise as everyone in bed.
    The only way I can describe what I heard is a mini person shouting "HELP" from behind the fridge, real squeaky quiet HELP. Really frieked me.
    I thought it was maybe a mouse firstly and pulled out the fridge to see but found nothing. I put fridge back in and heard it again.
    I guess it couldve been the fridge itself, something to do with gas or compressor etc....but it really did sound like a miniature person in trouble....I'm still thinking about it when I go to iron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

368100 wrote: »

A few weeks ago I was in the kitchen ironing....house was silent otherwise as everyone in bed.
    The only way I can describe what I heard is a mini person shouting "HELP" from behind the fridge, real squeaky quiet HELP. Really frieked me.
    I thought it was maybe a mouse firstly and pulled out the fridge to see but found nothing. I put fridge back in and heard it again.
    I guess it couldve been the fridge itself, something to do with gas or compressor etc....but it really did sound like a miniature person in trouble....I'm still thinking about it when I go to iron.

Borrowers? Very articulate spider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

368100 wrote: »

Sounds like you need to call the Ghostbusters :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Amazing stuff. There's a great book by Dr. Jeffrey Long, "Evidence of the Afterlife" where he investigates near death experiences. It seems many (if not all) experience similar feelings and situations such as your friend did. Being able to see all around you, in a full 360 degree. Knowing everything you could want to.

There was a recent scientific article on this. Doctors kept measuring the brainwaves of a person who was clinically dead and who did die (no resuscitation). They found that when the heart has stopped electrical impulses continue in the brain for another 5-6 minutes until fading away.

It is suggested that these lingering electrical impulses in the brain may very well explain near death experiences, lights, etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The historically named Londonderry Arms (named after Winston Churchill’s granny who founded the coaching inn) in lovely super-friendly Carnlough, which has beautiful easy walks into the hills behind. It’s far cheaper than tbe rivals on the Coast, and at risk of giving the utterly wrong inpression I have anything to do with the establishment, I absolutely highly recommend this place for value for money and first class hospitality. As a solo traveller they gave me genuine good value,something all too rare in Ireland and beyond. Absolutely terrific breakfast, during which I learned the life story of the lovely lady in charge, indeed standing at the bus stop back for Larne/Belfast I learned even more about the locals’ everyday issues. All very like Scotland across the water.
    Carnlough is lovely in fairness.....unlike Larne...speaking of creepy and unnerving :D
    I am from just round the coast originally.
    One hotel that is famously meant to be haunted in Country Antrim is Ballygally castle, they even have a "ghost room".
    I remember going many years ago and it definitely has an odd vibe.

Great story btw

There was a recent scientific article on this. Doctors kept measuring the brainwaves of a person who was clinically dead and who did die (no resuscitation). They found that when the heart has stopped electrical impulses continue in the brain for another 5-6 minutes until fading away.

It is suggested that these lingering electrical impulses in the brain may very well explain near death experiences, lights, etc etc.

...christ, that's just depressing, I'd rather believe in Narnia than contemplate a fade out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Jesus these stories are crazy. Ive never really had any mad spooky experience but now that i think of it this freaked me out big time.

My friend and I were walking back to my house about 7am after a night out. A quiet morning with no cars or people out walking. This old hunched woman that looked homeless or something walked past with this doll like pram (not a normal baby pram) like a proper old fashioned small one. And it was filled with stuff like from a charity shop. The woman was staring dead ahead just walking down the road not even acknowledging us and we walked right past on the same footpath.

I dunno why but it freaked me the **** out and i thought she was gonna turn around and crucify the both of us.

I can only presume she was real but i have serious doubts. There was just something so freaky about the way she was walking too

cazzer22 wrote: »
    I've had some spooky coinsidences lately that I can't explain and they've pretty much happened to me throughout my life. I dreamt quite recently that my boss had come into my classroom. I was correcting copies up by the window (I never correct copies there usually) and I had my phone hidden under my copies and was texting and she walked in (obviously phones aren't usually meant to be used in the classroom etc.) The very next day she walked up to me in the classroom and I was standing in the exact position from my dream correcting copies. It only hit me shortly after that I essentially predicted the scenario in my dream.
    I had another two experiences at home recently. I got out of the car with my family and in my head thought 'I'll bump into such and such here'' and sure enough as I was walking in, they walked right out. I can't explain it. I was having a drink on the 28th with my boyfriend and his friends and a guy walked up to the bar. In my head I thought ''There's Barry anyway'' and he turned around and it wasn't him at all, but two minutes later, in walks the actual guy I had thought of. I feel like I'm more connected to things than I realise.

Thats crazy. This happens me too. I sometimes have anxiety with bumping into people and i have a family friend who religously go to town on a thursday morning and no other day.

Today i was going into town after work cause of a half day and started to worry id bump into them and have to make conversation but i assured myself it wasnt thursday so that wouldnt be possible.

There they were at 2pm on a monday standing on the street i was walking down. Bear in mind ive never seen them in town on a monday in my life.

Same thing happened 2 weeks ago i havent seen my old friend in 3 months. I worried about bumping into him and sure enough i did straight away. But yet i wouldnt think of the person from one end of the month to the other but when i do they appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Jesus these stories are crazy. Ive never really had any mad spooky experience but now that i think of it this freaked me out big time.

My friend and I were walking back to my house about 7am after a night out. A quiet morning with no cars or people out walking. This old hunched woman that looked homeless or something walked past with this doll like pram (not a normal baby pram) like a proper old fashioned small one. And it was filled with stuff like from a charity shop. The woman was staring dead ahead just walking down the road not even acknowledging us and we walked right past on the same footpath.

I dunno why but it freaked me the **** out and i thought she was gonna turn around and crucify the both of us.

I can only presume she was real but i have serious doubts. There was just something so freaky about the way she was walking too

By any chance would this be around the Rathmines area. There's a woman I know from around there that fits that description. Very odd.

• Advertisement

Thats crazy. This happens me too. I sometimes have anxiety with bumping into people and i have a family friend who religously go to town on a thursday morning and no other day.

Today i was going into town after work cause of a half day and started to worry id bump into them and have to make conversation but i assured myself it wasnt thursday so that wouldnt be possible.

There they were at 2pm on a monday standing on the street i was walking down. Bear in mind ive never seen them in town on a monday in my life.

Same thing happened 2 weeks ago i havent seen my old friend in 3 months. I worried about bumping into him and sure enough i did straight away. But yet i wouldnt think of the person from one end of the month to the other but when i do they appear.

That's so weird. It's genuinely hard to find a logical explanation to it? There's coinsidence but I feel like there's more to it than that.
    I had another weird one recently where my boyfriend bought me a coffee cup and before he gave it to me, he said 'Better take the price off'.I replied to him 'just going to guess, 15.95' and he properly freaked out a bit. It was exactly 15.95. There's no possible way I could've seen the price as I wasn't there when he bought it and it was still in the packaging.
    We both kind of stood there in disbelief. It probably doesn't do it justice writing it down, but freaked us both out.

By any chance would this be around the Rathmines area. There's a woman I know from around there that fits that description. Very odd.

Nope waterford. Looking back now the image is quite blurry tbh but something tells me in the back of my mind there was something ghost like about her. And im the most non superstitious person youd meet!

gmisk wrote: »
    Carnlough is lovely in fairness.....unlike Larne...speaking of creepy and unnerving :D
    I am from just round the coast originally.
    One hotel that is famously meant to be haunted in Country Antrim is Ballygally castle, they even have a "ghost room".
    I remember going many years ago and it definitely has an odd vibe.

Great story btw

O was going to stay in Ballygally, but it was almost double the price, and extra to stay in the haunted rooms. There’s the haunted hotel in Bushmills (great reputation) and also the haunted Dobbyn Inn at Carrickfergus. It’s a wonderful part of the island, all too seldom visited by southerners.

That's so weird. It's genuinely hard to find a logical explanation to it? There's coinsidence but I feel like there's more to it than that.
    I had another weird one recently where my boyfriend bought me a coffee cup and before he gave it to me, he said 'Better take the price off'.I replied to him 'just going to guess, 15.95' and he properly freaked out a bit. It was exactly 15.95. There's no possible way I could've seen the price as I wasn't there when he bought it and it was still in the packaging.
    We both kind of stood there in disbelief. It probably doesn't do it justice writing it down, but freaked us both out.

My late mother could ALWAYS correctly guess the exact price of things. Likewise she could always pick a winning horse (at least first or second) but only ever put a tiny bet on for the Grand National. Before meeting my father her former boyfriend was a bookie but never took her tips on horses. However his friend did pay heed to my mother on one occasion after seeing her “form” and put a whacking big bet on what should have been a fairly hopeless nag and as a rank outsider it won him an enormous payout. Her boyfriend had put a similarly large amount on a favourite and lost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Nope waterford. Looking back now the image is quite blurry tbh but something tells me in the back of my mind there was something ghost like about her. And im the most non superstitious person youd meet!

There used to be an old woman like that in Navan years ago. Not sure if she's still about anymore. But she used to push around a pram with a doll in it. The story is that she had a baby that died when she was young and never got over it. Very sad if it's true!

• Advertisement

My grandmother whom I was very close to died in May 1985 when I was 6 going on 7.

A few months later I was in Cork City with the parents and younger sister. Now back then when my mother went into a shop to browse I rarely went in so I would stand by the door outside on the footpath until my mother came back out. Ok nobody would do that these days.

But anyway I was outside a particular shop just watching the world go by on a busy street (in fact to this day I know the exact location and the name of the street) I saw my dead grandmother walking purposely down the street past me among the other pedestrians. I followed her as she walked by. She didnt look at me but just walked briskly past. I was about to go in a tell my mother but thought better of it.

Now I just put it down to the fact all women in their mid 60s look the same and it was just someone who looked just like her me being 6/7 and all.

But to this day I remember it like it was yesterday in crystal clear HD. I can visualize the clothes she was wearing.

Not really creepy but just a little strange...

I moved abroad 10 years ago and married a local girl. But anyway for the first 6-12 months or so I was still getting my bearings geographically while looking for work in my chosen field. Spent a few months in menial jobs just to bring in some cash. Depended on the wife's car etc.

But anyway one day we were on a motorway driving past a particular non de script town you could say the town was bypassed and the first thing you notice is the local football stadium slightly under the motorway but it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I had no idea where I was exactly and I asked the missus the name of the and she said: 'Oh it's X I think.'

I don't know what it was that drew my attention to it but I just said: 'I am going to end up working there you know.' She just pulled a face and be like 'Wha??'. It was about 15 miles from home and neither of us had any connection with the place whatsoever.

About 15 months later, I ended up in that town for a job interview and got it. 6 years later I am still here and oh I visit the football stadium on a regular basis for work related conferences etc. In fact I was there last Thursday.

I still remember just being transfixed on the stadium and town as we drove past. I didn't even know it's name.

ps

I should add the town in question is a dump so it wasn't the beautiful parks, coffee shops and general bonne homme in the air.

Has anyone else tried this trick....

Basically if you have no way of telling the time and you need to wake up at a particular time just recite the time repeatedly in your head as you are falling off to sleep. Let's say you want to be up at 5am...just keep repeating it over and over as you nod off and hey presto you wake up at 5am on the dot.

Okay it might be a bit redundant now as everyone has phones. But I did this quite a bit back in the early 90s when I had no phone or clock in the bedroom. Always worked and on the exact dot.

My late mother could ALWAYS correctly guess the exact price of things. Likewise she could always pick a winning horse (at least first or second) but only ever put a tiny bet on for the Grand National. Before meeting my father her former boyfriend was a bookie but never took her tips on horses. However his friend did pay heed to my mother on one occasion after seeing her “form” and put a whacking big bet on what should have been a fairly hopeless nag and as a rank outsider it won him an enormous payout. Her boyfriend had put a similarly large amount on a favourite and lost!

Thanks for sharing. The thing with the price or situations like that haven't happened very often to me, but really interesting about your grandmother. Would've been nice to know the Euromillion numbers for Tuesday though :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

I work in the grounds of an old monastery, with lots of dormitories that were once used to accommodate students,and before that, monks would stay there. It's rumoured that one of the dorms is haunted by a monk from the 19th century, who died there.

Admittedly, I don't like being alone in this particular place, it has an 'uneasy' ambience, but I haven't ever heard or seen anything.

Today, one of the newest employees was sent up there to do some painting, minutes later he came running down to where I was working. He was as white as a sheet, and quite distressed. He said as he got to the top of the stairs 'someone' coughed right beside him,then he heard a moan and a door in front of him slammed shut. He refused to go back in there, so (brave me) went up there with two others. We didn't see or hear anything unusual, but it just didn't feel right.

To finish my kinda' boring story, I later asked my boss about the haunting rumours and she admitted she will not stay in the building alone after dark, and she will not enter that particular dorm unless there is somebody with her. TL/DR Dead monk not so dead :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I work in the grounds of an old monastery, with lots of dormitories that were once used to accommodate students,and before that, monks would stay there. It's rumoured that one of the dorms is haunted by a monk from the 19th century, who died there.

Admittedly, I don't like being alone in this particular place, it has an 'uneasy' ambience, but I haven't ever heard or seen anything.

Today, one of the newest employees was sent up there to do some painting, minutes later he came running down to where I was working. He was as white as a sheet, and quite distressed. He said as he got to the top of the stairs 'someone' coughed right beside him,then he heard a moan and a door in front of him slammed shut. He refused to go back in there, so (brave me) went up there with two others. We didn't see or hear anything unusual, but it just didn't feel right.

To finish my kinda' boring story, I later asked my boss about the haunting rumours and she admitted she will not stay in the building alone after dark, and she will not enter that particular dorm unless there is somebody with her. TL/DR Dead monk not so dead :D

:eek::eek:

Where's the monastery?

I did some security work a lot of years ago to make some funds to get me through formal education, one job was security of an old disused factory, I had lots of fun there. One job was security of an old three storey over basement estate type house. a huge old thing with broken windows, leaky roof and in very bad repair but still with some furniture. Paintings, chine, cutlery were all gone. Rugs, carpets, curtains, chairs, tables and a couple of piano's still there.

When it rained heavily the house groaned, rain water ran down the big old stairs, dripped through the ceilings and puddled on the mossy carpets before disappearing through to the floor below. We were always told it was haunted, to keep people away I imagine. I didn't mind, I had free rent for nearly a year.... :D

I slept in a hammock type bed on a tube frame which had it's own small canvas canopy, which came in handy in the rain. I had this set uo in one of the big rooms just off the main hall. About 4.00am one night I woke up thinking someone had put a hand on my shoulder and blown on the side of my face. I was freaked out for a while, I didn't sleep for the rest of that night. I ended up staying for another few months after that, so it didn't put me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Had a very unsettling experience recently. It was 3am the dead of night and I woke up suddenly. I realised it was the sound of voices downstairs, two people arguing, a man and his wife. I knew instantly it was my mother and father. I woke up bolt upright to "shake off" the remnants of this dream, expecting the voices to stop. They continued on for a few seconds later, as if going down a long dark tunnel. That's when my skin started crawling with cold Goosebumps. I definitely heard those voices for at least 10 seconds after I woke up, and this freaked the hell out of me.

The weird thing is, they often fought about money when I was growing up in the 80s, as their voices sound younger than they are now (60s). The weirder thing is I live alone and as you can imagine, the thought of an old argument replaying itself in my dark, empty living room like some kind of impossible traveling residual energy was enough to keep my awake the rest of the night. I don't know what the hell it was and they both laughed at me when I mentioned it but I do know it was very disquieting.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭wobatkicker23

Had a very unnerving and gross experience with a Garda in Salthill in 2007. I had just finished my Leaving Cert the previous week and was driving home from a friends house one night late after being at a house party ( not drinking) when I saw the lights of a Garda car in my rear-view mirror.
    I get skittish around Gardai for some unknown reason ( never broken a law in my life!) I pulled over sharpish.
    First of all the Guard took an age to get out of his car which made me even more nervous.
    He then walked slowly up to my window and knocked.
    Told me I was driving erratically even though I definitely wasn't.
    Asked me had I been drinking and would I take a breathalyzer.
    I told him I hadn't and of course.
    He told me to exit my car which I did and then things started to get weird.
    He started making weird comments saying I was very good-looking and weird comments about what I was wearing ( a short skirt and hoodie after the party) He kept asking me about myself, where I went to school, friends etc.
    He finally crossed the line by touching my leg and trying to put his hand on my ass, I was pretty shell-shocked and didn't resist. (Big regret.)He said he wouldn't report my driving if I was ' a nice girl'.

This is what really made me snap out of the sense of shock. I told him he had no right to do any of this and I quickly walked back to my car and took off. He didn't attempt to stop me which was really telling.

I never really followed up on it which is a major regret of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Basically if you have no way of telling the time and you need to wake up at a particular time just recite the time repeatedly in your head as you are falling off to sleep. Let's say you want to be up at 5am...just keep repeating it over and over as you nod off and hey presto you wake up at 5am on the dot.

Okay it might be a bit redundant now as everyone has phones. But I did this quite a bit back in the early 90s when I had no phone or clock in the bedroom. Always worked and on the exact dot.

Not creepy or anything, maybe a bit wierd, just related to your post re time. If I wake up in the middle of the night I always know what time it is. Usually exactly, sometimes at most a minute either side of the right time.

And not just during the night. At any given moment of the day I just know what time it is without checking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭the14thwarrior

About six weeks ago I was woken up in the middle of the night by three loud knocks on my bedroom door. I sleep through anything so this was unusual. i sat bolt up right in bed, and turned on the light, opened my door but there was no one there. no one else in the house heard it the next morning.

now i've heard the "three knocks of death" but my mother is dead for about 10 months and I was very close to her. I crept down the stairs to check on my father, but he was fast asleep.

the knocks were so real to me but perhaps i dreamt them. Sharp, loud, consistent with someone knocking on my bedroom door, like my father does when I over sleep.

so they say someone close to you dies....... and for a week or so all was well till my boyfriends brother died, the next door neighbour and the third (always the third) my best friends mother. Probably a coincidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Had a very unnerving and gross experience with a Garda in Salthill in 2007. I had just finished my Leaving Cert the previous week and was driving home from a friends house one night late after being at a house party ( not drinking) when I saw the lights of a Garda car in my rear-view mirror.
    I get skittish around Gardai for some unknown reason ( never broken a law in my life!) I pulled over sharpish.
    First of all the Guard took an age to get out of his car which made me even more nervous.
    He then walked slowly up to my window and knocked.
    Told me I was driving erratically even though I definitely wasn't.
    Asked me had I been drinking and would I take a breathalyzer.
    I told him I hadn't and of course.
    He told me to exit my car which I did and then things started to get weird.
    He started making weird comments saying I was very good-looking and weird comments about what I was wearing ( a short skirt and hoodie after the party) He kept asking me about myself, where I went to school, friends etc.
    He finally crossed the line by touching my leg and trying to put his hand on my ass, I was pretty shell-shocked and didn't resist. (Big regret.)He said he wouldn't report my driving if I was ' a nice girl'.

This is what really made me snap out of the sense of shock. I told him he had no right to do any of this and I quickly walked back to my car and took off. He didn't attempt to stop me which was really telling.

I never really followed up on it which is a major regret of mine.

Thats creepy for sure, never too late to follow it up is it? He might be still at that kinda stuff to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I walked past Ryan Tubridy on Dun Laoghaire Pier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Can’t sleep so will post this. The usual disclaimers, I don’t believe in ghosts etc etc.

So moved into a flat in London along with 4 others back in 2010. The flat was far too nice for us, one of three in this converted old home. The house was over a hundred years old, had held foreign dignitaries back in the day and had a lot of history to it. Anyway any time I was in the house I always felt someone else was there. Nothing creepy went on in the house though now when we look back it did. So things like glasses clinking when we never touched them, the lights flickering the odd time. We always had an excuse for them, must be dodgy wiring etc. We started to cop on to things once there was more knocking or lights anytime we opened up the attic.

In the living room we had two couches, both facing the tv. The arms of them were curved but on the left couch, the left arm must have been particularly curved because our phone or the remote would always fall off it. Without fail you’d leave the phone on the arm and it would fall and you assumed you’d knocked it yourself or it was on a bad angle.

One day a lad and I are playing the PlayStation and without saying anything we just both stopped and looked over at the other couch. There was a bag for life lying beside the arm of the couch, the handles of it were stood straight up in the air and started waving and moving side to side. This went on for about 5 seconds or more, then they just dropped and that was it. Needless to say it freaked the crap out of us.

Fast forward a few weeks later and everyone is away on holiday bar me and same chap. He goes to work for the day and I am lying in bed. I never slept well in my room as it was intensely cold, like I mean absolutely freezing. So I decide to make my bed, read a book for a bit and head down to the newsagents for an ice cream. I was gone about half an hour all in all and got home and went back to my room. When I got to my room I froze in my tracks. On the bed was a photograph face down. I lifted the photograph and it was three young lads, maybe 17 on what looked like a warm destination (Spain at night). The middle lad has a plastic bag over his head and tied at the neck. I had never seen the photograph or the lads before in my life. Needless to say I filled the togs. My first impression was that I had disturbed someone (still slow to pick up on the ghost vibes wasn’t I?) and so went around the house with scissors checking behind doors looking for an assailant but place was empty.

Estate agent a few weeks later visited and I told her the story. She’d been looking after the house for years and said she hates it, could never wait to get out of it. So that’s my story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Good story Bobby,

Is that all the estate agent said? she didn't elude to any other happenings in it?
    Any ideas where the photograph came from that was on your bed? thats an odd one.

Hmmm im feeling cold now reading that as my lights flicker alot even though theres no wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Good story Bobby,

Is that all the estate agent said? she didn't elude to any other happenings in it?
    Any ideas where the photograph came from that was on your bed? thats an odd one.

Hmmm im feeling cold now reading that as my lights flicker alot even though theres no wind.

That’s all she said. When we got the house she informed us Charles De Gaulle has stayed there when he was in exile though I never looked into that. I was a young lad just moved to London and so wasn’t high on my priorities!

No idea, my only suggestion was that it was from the book I was reading that was a library book and maybe was used as a bookmark by someone? Only thing is I’d had the book for quite a while and never spotted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

About 6 years ago I was home from college for the Easter mid term break, my parents live in a 300 year old farmhouse out the country side. It was about half 3 in the morning, I was in the sitting room working on projects for college that were due in for final assessments after the break, as the house is so old the doors upstairs are easily 100 years old, theyre not level, get caught in the floor as the bottom of them are jagged with cracks and holes, they have to be pulled and pushed hard to open and close, my bedroom door in particular is very loud when being opened and closed, it squeaks, the door knob makes a loud noise and the door drags across the floor - theres no mistaking my door being opened or closed.

So im down stairs, my bedroom is right above the sitting room, everyone else is in bed asleep and suddenly I hear my bedroom door open, like someone has pushed it very hard, I ignore it thinking its someone awake going into my room, I then hear the door violently shut, again I ignore it. A few minutes later I hear it open again, at this point im thinking who is in my room but I ignore it, door slams again, , It happens a third time so I go upstairs to check who keeps going into my room, my bedroom door is wide open and the light is on, I check to see if my parents are awake and ask them if they where in my room - no response, theyre both asleep so I check my brothers room - hes also alseep. I turn off the light and close the door, go back down stairs.
    A couple of minutes later the door is banged open again, then slammed shut, it then happens again, and a third time. I thought its my brother being a d!ck so I ignore it but I am starting to feel that something isnt right, I would have heard someone walking around and my brothers room is the other end of the house, door opens again, I run upstairs, no sign of anyone but my bedroom light is on and my door is wide open again. I go back down stairs, this happens a third time, everyone in the house was asleep, it eventually stops. The next day I asked my family if they heard the banging the night before but none of them heard it, it was so loud, the ceiling was shaking but no one else heard it. I never figured out what it was but it still freaks me out when I think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

My Dad is adamant this worked for him in the 60s 70s etc

I wonder how the monk died. He must have been sick with that cough and moaning

• Advertisement

My Dad is adamant this worked for him in the 60s 70s etc

Yeah, if I have an early flight, and early Taxi calling, I always seem to wake up just minutes ahead of the alarms, like my sleeping mind is monitoring the clock.

Advertisement