Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    My boss, who I used to work for. Stayed in a hotel in England.

Woken up by someone who grabbed his hand. Cold.

Told us this story. And was told later about similar experiences.

Weird. Don't know what to make of it.

I’ve had that experience very very occasionally. It is a lucid dreaming episode just prior to waking up. It is extraordinary what lucid dreaming can be like. I have eaten meals and tased e wry morsel from the plate, I have dialed on the old wheel telephones and feeling my fingertip in the hole and dialing every number, I have checked the texture of things around me to verify that my dream was real etc etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I’ve had that experience very very occasionally. It is a lucid dreaming episode just prior to waking up. It is extraordinary what lucid dreaming can be like. I have eaten meals and tased e wry morsel from the plate, I have dialed on the old wheel telephones and feeling my fingertip in the hole and dialing every number, I have checked the texture of things around me to verify that my dream was real etc etc etc.

Am I the only one here who is constantly trying to get INTO a state of sleep paralysis in order to easily get lucid! Managed it a few times but as soon as I realize and get excited I wake up :mad:

I posted a thread about this when it happened but its one of the creepiest things thats happened to me.
    A few years ago I was living in my parents house who were living out the country side in an isolated location, there were a few houses dotted around but they were mostly middle aged neighbours who kept to themselves.
    One morning at about 4 am I couldnt sleep and went down stairs, went to the back of the house when I suddenly hear someone run down the path that went between the back of the house and the back garden and stretched around to the side onto the patio, they ran past the gate, pushed it open and stopped outside the window of the room that I was standing in, I could hear them walking around a bit but I stood back from the window so they couldnt see me, I could hear my heart pounding. I had to get out of the room and the only way to do so was to open the door of the room I was in, the door was pretty loud and knew it would be heard from outside the window.
    Up until this I had been hearing noises outside at night for years, like someone hanging around the house at night, id hear footsteps, things being moved and I always felt that I was being watched at night in certain rooms with windows that faced the front and back of the house.
    I said it to my parents for years that someone is hanging around outside at night but they never took me seriously and I was beginning to think I was paranoid.
    Ever since that night I didnt hear anyone outside again, I suppose they knew they were caught as they would have heard me open the door form outside the window. Maybe they were a little more discreet about it after that but the noises mostly stopped.
    I never found out who it was but it still freaks me out when I think about it, all those nights of being down stairs in the kitchen feeling I was being watched but trying to convince myself I was just being paranoid when there likely was someone creeping around outside in the dark.

That's creepy in a couple of ways. I'd be pretty freaked out too, that's a horrible experience and realization. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Noo

I posted a thread about this when it happened but its one of the creepiest things thats happened to me.
    A few years ago I was living in my parents house who were living out the country side in an isolated location, there were a few houses dotted around but they were mostly middle aged neighbours who kept to themselves.
    One morning at about 4 am I couldnt sleep and went down stairs, went to the back of the house when I suddenly hear someone run down the path that went between the back of the house and the back garden and stretched around to the side onto the patio, they ran past the gate, pushed it open and stopped outside the window of the room that I was standing in, I could hear them walking around a bit but I stood back from the window so they couldnt see me, I could hear my heart pounding. I had to get out of the room and the only way to do so was to open the door of the room I was in, the door was pretty loud and knew it would be heard from outside the window.
    Up until this I had been hearing noises outside at night for years, like someone hanging around the house at night, id hear footsteps, things being moved and I always felt that I was being watched at night in certain rooms with windows that faced the front and back of the house.
    I said it to my parents for years that someone is hanging around outside at night but they never took me seriously and I was beginning to think I was paranoid.
    Ever since that night I didnt hear anyone outside again, I suppose they knew they were caught as they would have heard me open the door form outside the window. Maybe they were a little more discreet about it after that but the noises mostly stopped.
    I never found out who it was but it still freaks me out when I think about it, all those nights of being down stairs in the kitchen feeling I was being watched but trying to convince myself I was just being paranoid when there likely was someone creeping around outside in the dark.

I think I followed that thread, was that the one about the flower pots being moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrenMar

My brother had a troubled life and died in sad circumstances.
    We had his wake at home and the house was full of people, all talking away. I was in the room where his coffin was when there was an almighty noise from the kitchen which silenced everyone. A glass tumbler had flown off the table and landed on the floor with such force that we were still finding tiny particles days later. This thing looked like it had exploded, it was absolutely shattered to pieces, not shards.
    My cousin witnessed it and said nobody was near the table at the time, this glass launched itself.
    I will never forget the tremendous noise it made, it certainly got everyone's attention, which maybe was the intention?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

We stayed in the clarion hotel in Sligo last year.
    Went in..a big room..5 of us..
    The room was so cold and we had heard of the stories from there.
    While we were giving out that it was so cold
    A knock comes to the door...a girl, staff, with a heater says " ye rang down for a heater"
    It was so weird in that moment, no one had rang down.
    Next day taking a video of one of the kids going down the hall and looking back on it you could hear someone shout in the video.
    Wouldn't stay there again!

Ex mental institute I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

BrenMar wrote: »
    My brother had a troubled life and died in sad circumstances.
    We had his wake at home and the house was full of people, all talking away. I was in the room where his coffin was when there was an almighty noise from the kitchen which silenced everyone. A glass tumbler had flown off the table and landed on the floor with such force that we were still finding tiny particles days later. This thing looked like it had exploded, it was absolutely shattered to pieces, not shards.
    My cousin witnessed it and said nobody was near the table at the time, this glass launched itself.
    I will never forget the tremendous noise it made, it certainly got everyone's attention, which maybe was the intention?

Something like this happened me recently. I was washing dishes at home when an empty (partially broken) pint glass just exploded into pieces. I must say I got a fright!

But then worked through it logically in my head - I had earlier put it into boiling water and taken it out when a chip broke off of the top. Obviously the hot water, combined with the chip has caused the glass to shatter and then give the impression of exploding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

ardinn wrote: »
    Am I the only one here who is constantly trying to get INTO a state of sleep paralysis in order to easily get lucid! Managed it a few times but as soon as I realize and get excited I wake up :mad:

Trust me it's nothing you want, it only ever happened to me if I fell asleep on my back, j make sure now that I'm not on my back when I fall asleep

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Trust me it's nothing you want, it only ever happened to me if I fell asleep on my back, j make sure now that I'm not on my back when I fall asleep

I agree - I get sleep paralysis when I’m really tired. To try help myself I usually fall asleep on my side touching the bedpost. I figure that if I can feel the bedpost when it’s happening to me I’m ok and I’ll be able to wake up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KM792

A close relative of mine died when I was only 5 years old in a sudden accident.
    Because I was so young I only have 2/3 memories of this person but I am standing outside my home holding her hand and I look up and ask her are you going to die soon and she smiles back and says no don't be silly.

I have never discussed this with family and the memory is hazy almost like a dream.Down through the years I have wondered if it was indeed a dream but it has always stuck in my mind.

I do think young children experience things adults don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Yes indeed I stayed there year's ago when it opened first and I was perished in the middle of summer I was so freaked out that night!

It absolutely was.
    I remember it from my youth.
    Scary place just an unerving feeling and cold when you are there.
    There's a movie on Netflix based on the asylum for anyone that would like to see it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Scripture_(film)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Was a month ago I had gone to bed at about 11:30 pm, the alarm was set for early as my wife and I were due to travel the following morning. Was asleep for about 45 minutes and woke up as I could feel the sensation that someone was trying to pull me out of the bed to wake me up or something. Was a bit freaked as I never felt that sensation before or had such dream that I was aware of.

About 20 mins later my phone started to ring, it was my sister telling me to urgently get over to the family home as my mother was very unwell. Long story short, my mother unfortunately passed away and was being taken to the hospital just as I arrived there. Only now that the dust has settled over the past while I have been thinking of that night, I know it sounds stupid but it felt like someone was warning me to get up and go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Noo wrote: »
    I think I followed that thread, was that the one about the flower pots being moved?

Yeah thats the one

Another one for me springs to mind.
    Not very "scary" but freaks me out nonetheless..still does.
    So I use the library lots
    When I was about 21 I took out a book, when I opened it at home there was a piece of paper tucked in the middle, there was a small black and white cartoon on it, and handwritten on the back was my date of birth. Including the year.
    I still don't understand or know why that happened. So strange. I didn't think too much at the time(blissful youth), and didn't keep it unfortunately, book looking back I'm still confused about it. What are the chances!

• Advertisement

No, Sleep paralysis if fine, have got to it a good few times, once your aware you control "the demons" as it were and wait to get lucid, pulling yourself from your body to achieve either lucidity or astral projection. I projected once, but got stuck in the roof :pac:

If you listen to jody whitely on youtube she can help get you ready for SP and lucid dreaming. Its a state I try to achieve regularly and im getting better at it.

SP cant be dealt with easily if it becomes too much in many ways, trying to move a finger is the easiest, instead of trying to force your whole body out of bed! Think of uma therman......... Wiggle your big toe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Like methane release?
    Could have been animal eyes ?

these were big lights - started off like traffic lights in three, then went into two horizontal ... not too sure what way they went after that as I was too busy trying to take photos. Hard to guess the size but they looked big even from 20 feet away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I think that poster is getting confused with lucid dreaming rather than sleep paralysis.

I have experienced some pretty far out SP experiences a few times although it is a few years now.

Usually I am trying to get out of it by shouting at the wife next to me to wake her but I am not making any sound. I am desperately trying to wake up and scream but no sound.

The last which must be about 3 years ago as we have moved house since was very vivid. At this stage I am conscious of the fact I am dreaming in my dream. I was floating up toward the ceiling in the bedroom and low and behold the usual evil darkness in the corner but I was calm as I knew it was a dream but still I am paralysed but not being able to shout or wake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

I had sleep paralysis a few times. Once I hallucinated a freaky nun/demon/devil yoke reaching down and pulling my wire. It took me about 60 seconds to get out of it. Swear to god this happened me and I was so freaked out for days after it I left the lamp on in my bed room. I was awake but couldn’t move. Still freaks me out thinking about it

Freaked the crap out of me

• Advertisement

I think that poster is getting confused with lucid dreaming rather than sleep paralysis.

I am not

Learning to lucid dream in the quickest and easiest way is to put yourself into sleep paralysis. Once there, your brain thinks your asleep, therefore initiates the lockdown that is SP. After that, there are methods used for entering dream states fully conscious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

It absolutely was.
    I remember it from my youth.
    Scary place just an unerving feeling and cold when you are there.
    There's a movie on Netflix based on the asylum for anyone that would like to see it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Scripture_(film)

I was a college student in Sligo in early 90s we used to use rooms in it for lectures as the college expanded it was still in use as a hospital then. Met many a patient who landed into our lectures.

Stayed there in its hotel form years later and just didn't feel comfortable with all the long empty corridors but had no negative experiences in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

knockers84 wrote: »
    I had sleep paralysis a few times. Once I hallucinated a freaky nun/demon/devil yoke reaching down and pulling my wire. It took me about 60 seconds to get out of it. Swear to god this happened me and I was so freaked out for days after it I left the lamp on in my bed room. I was awake but couldn’t move. Still freaks me out thinking about it

So basically you had a wet dream about a demonic nun **** you off. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Casey78 wrote: »
    Sure all men have some variation of that :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was this the NuN by any chance ?

MV5BM2JlOTc3Y2QtNmI1Ni00OGUzLWExZGYtZmYwOTBkODU5NmNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQW1yb3NzZXI@._V1_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

That old chestnut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I had sleep paralysis a few times. Once I hallucinated a freaky nun/demon/devil yoke reaching down and pulling my wire. It took me about 60 seconds to get out of it.

It sounds like you were visited by a succubi. At least you didn't impregnate her. By the way, they don't give up their victims easily. Do you have many sex dreams? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

I was awake but sleep paralysis and yep!!

Strangest thing that ever happened to me!!!

It was ****ing wierd

I could live with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Was in a pub yesterday having dinner with family. Happened to look up at the bar and there was a guy, about 40 or so, leaning on the bar and he had the most unnerving expression I have ever seen in my life, and it was directed at me. He was grinning like a Cheshire cat from ear to ear, but what set this apart was the smile didn't go anywhere near his eyes. They were absolutely hate filled and malevolent and focused entirely on me. My neck hairs stood up, and before I could say anything to my family, its like a wire flipped back in his head, and his expression returned to normal, he paid for his pint and walked away...and gave me a little knowing glance as he did.

Any other day I would just put it down to some creep or weirdo who was either on meds or fancied me or something but his eyes shook me to the core. Never saw anything like that on a human face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I was awake but sleep paralysis and yep!!

Strangest thing that ever happened to me!!!

It was ****ing wierd

Was there any mysterious production of a sticky "ectoplasm" after this event?

Was in a pub yesterday having dinner with family. Happened to look up at the bar and there was a guy, about 40 or so, leaning on the bar and he had the most unnerving expression I have ever seen in my life, and it was directed at me. He was grinning like a Cheshire cat from ear to ear, but what set this apart was the smile didn't go anywhere near his eyes. They were absolutely hate filled and malevolent and focused entirely on me. My neck hairs stood up, and before I could say anything to my family, its like a wire flipped back in his head, and his expression returned to normal, he paid for his pint and walked away...and gave me a little knowing glance as he did.

Any other day I would just put it down to some creep or weirdo who was either on meds or fancied me or something but his eyes shook me to the core. Never saw anything like that on a human face.

He has a record of your internet browser history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

I’ve also experienced hyper-realistic waking dreams leading to sleep paralysis which involve visitation by succubi or other demons. In one example a malevolent entity with cruel empty eyes sat cross-legged on my chest, drawing sharp razors along my body as it leeched on my spirit energy. As I struggled frantically to escape I gained consciousness that I was dreaming, I could look around the room with my eyes but I could not move my body, all the while this monstrous and repugnant parasite was weighing down heavily on my chest so that I was struggling for air, actually coughing and spluttering but unable to move my limbs.Another time I was visited by a blonde succubus, very attractive face with pale skin, blue eyes, perky breasts (about 34DD), but with hind quarters and forearms of praying mantis. If she had not the insect limbs and gaze of utter hostility and contempt she would easily have been a ten. She pinned me to the bed with her sharp appendages and spines and as I was struggling it became apparent she was about to rape me with a large sexual appendage made of chitinous plates. How I struggled and struggled, but my body would not respond to ambition to move. This experience was extremely unpleasant. I did not ejaculate.

Andreas77 wrote: »
    I’ve also experienced hyper-realistic waking dreams leading to sleep paralysis which involve visitation by succubi or other demons. In one example a malevolent entity with cruel empty eyes sat cross-legged on my chest, drawing sharp razors along my body as it leeched on my spirit energy. As I struggled frantically to escape I gained consciousness that I was dreaming, I could look around the room with my eyes but I could not move my body, all the while this monstrous and repugnant parasite was weighing down heavily on my chest so that I was struggling for air, actually coughing and spluttering but unable to move my limbs.Another time I was visited by a blonde succubus, very attractive face with pale skin, blue eyes, perky breasts (about 34DD), but with hind quarters and forearms of praying mantis. If she had not the insect limbs and gaze of utter hostility and contempt she would easily have been a ten. She pinned me to the bed with her sharp appendages and spines and as I was struggling it became apparent she was about to rape me with a large sexual appendage made of chitinous plates. How I struggled and struggled, but my body would not respond to ambition to move. This experience was extremely unpleasant. I did not ejaculate.

Late night curry is never good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do you take drugs?

Or surf a lot of Internet porn?

Or both!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Used to have nightmares in an ex's house. Every single night I slept there. Then something from the nightmares appeared in his own nightmare and the next day, in real life.

Weird things kept happening until I decided to give things a nudge to split up. Like pricking my thumb three times in one day in three different geographical locations while doing completely different things .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Heh, you never disappoint in your adventures, mi amigo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Used to have nightmares in an ex's house. Every single night I slept there. Then something from the nightmares appeared in his own nightmare and the next day, in real life.

Weird things kept happening until I decided to give things a nudge to split up. Like pricking my thumb three times in one day in three different geographical locations while doing completely different things .

On 'pricking of thumbs - by definition - "an intuition or premonition about something; a sense of foreknowledge about a situation, condition, or set of circumstances."

The same also occurs in a line of Shakespeare's Macbeth: "By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes."

That kind of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

gozunda wrote: »
    On 'pricking of thumbs - by definition - "an intuition or premonition about something; a sense of foreknowledge about a situation, condition, or set of circumstances."

The same also occurs in a line of Shakespeare's Macbeth: "By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes."

That kind of thing?

That kind of thing.

The universe couldn't have made it much more obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

If she had not the insect limbs and gaze of utter hostility and contempt she would easily have been a ten. .

I'm sure I've said this exact line to my mates after a couple of one nighters;)

I'm sure I've said this exact line to my mates after a couple of one nighters;)

Amen to that.

Creative writing forum that way >>>>>>

Love the way you give the bra size... really, is it necessary? Marks & Spencer have an advertisement on their website for bra fitters. You should apply.

I have a sneaking feeling that you did ejaculate and not just the once. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Creative writing forum that way >>>>>>

Love the way you give the bra size... really, is it necessary? Marks & Spencer have an advertisement on their website for bra fitters. You should apply.

I have a sneaking feeling that you did ejaculate and not just the once. :D

My creepy story is I read a post on boards.ie where one poster imagined another poster **** while telling a story.....

Very creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

Not creepy or unnerving but my Dad passed away early summer this year and we miss him desperately. My sister came back to Ireland for a visit with her young kids during the summer whom Dad adored and they adored him.

The night before they were due to arrive, I had the most vivid dream, Dad was standing at the kitchen door smiling at the my sister's eldest boy as he sat at the kitchen table but he couldn't see my Dad. I kept saying to mum, my sister look, look, its Dad, he's back. I felt so real (I can still see him) that a wave of relief came over me. It was the first and only time since his passing that I have dreamt of him.

A few weeks after Dad passed, my sister's youngest (3) said to her 'why does Granddad keep following me around'. He adored those kids. I like to think he is still nearby us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 LMC7

Ok I'm finding this weird...
    Yesterday I was in my bedroom and randomly started thinking of a local lad in my town and imagined if he were to have a baby with his gf(we would barely say hello to each other so I do not know him well and this was a v.random thought lol)
    Anyway today I was again in my bedroom and hanging clothes up when the hook on the back of my door did a 360 and the clothes hanging on it fell to the floor,I joked to myself there must be bad news on the way.Here's where it gets weird..

This evening on fb..local lad had a pregnancy announcement and I found myself on a rip.ie page(that I've never visited before) to see someone I knew briefly died today.
    So strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

LMC7 wrote: »
    Ok I'm finding this weird...
    Yesterday I was in my bedroom and randomly started thinking of a local lad in my town and imagined if he were to have a baby with his gf(we would barely say hello to each other so I do not know him well and this was a v.random thought lol)
    Anyway today I was again in my bedroom and hanging clothes up when the hook on the back of my door did a 360 and the clothes hanging on it fell to the floor,I joked to myself there must be bad news on the way.Here's where it gets weird..

This evening on fb..local lad had a pregnancy announcement and I found myself on a rip.ie page(that I've never visited before) to see someone I knew briefly died today.
    So strange.

Am I reading that right. You thought of him yesterday and a thought of his gf being pregnant.
    Then today you hear that nsws is true and he's listed on rip.ie?

That is freaky if it's the case

My creepy story is I read a post on boards.ie where one poster imagined another poster **** while telling a story.....

Very creepy.

:D:D:D

To be fair I often have that feeling when I read posts on boards. Note I said feeling. I don't imagine - THAT would be weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

my son was about 9 and visiting my brothers house. he had to go upstairs to the toilet and casual as anything when he came down he asked who was the lady that was on the landing.
    the only female in the house at the time was me and i had remained in the kitchen.
    it didnt bother him and he still remembers it.

my brother has often mentioned sensing someone in his bedroom standing at the foot of the bed where he and his wife sleep.

me, ive never experienced anything unnerving or otherwise:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Be right back

I was recently in a WW2 museum where in one part of it, there's a large room with a balcony overlooking it. I could hear footsteps like someone was walking in heels but couldn't see anyone. It was quiet at the time and the other women visiting it were wearing flats. Probably simple explanation but thought it was strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just reading your post about footsteps, walking home in the country after a night out you would hear footsteps/ noises like people behind you or in the fields. Scared me when was younger. I used to put it down to animals etc.
    It wasn't till a particular incident when I saw soldier it hit home that growing up on the border in the 80's there were loads of people crawling around those fields. Both Irish and British and inbetweeners

• Advertisement
Advertisement