Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Bambi wrote: »
    So this fella was standing in your garden at night snapping away through a window on a f***king polaroid? was he waving the photo around to develop the pictures as well?

Gerrrupourofityechancer :pac:

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I would agree with the people on this thread who have either explained logically, or called BS on the stories told. I went to bed last night having read all but the last 2 pages, and had a great sleep, same as I will have tonight. It is this innocence that I love about us Irish, but find very funny.. look at the 2013 car registration debate ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Nobody came on and told their story to be called innocent. Some people even stated it was hard for them to tell it because it was so personal.

If you don't believe it, that's your choice

Remember some if these stories are told through the eyes and fear of a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

hada wrote: »
    By way of example, if any of you have visited the concentration camps in Germany or Austria, it's a well established fact that the birds simply DO NOT fly in or around the camp (despite being in their hundreds in the relatively close proximity). The minute you walk in, it's as if the mute button is pressed and you go from hearing the loud chirping of the birds to silence. Regardless of the wildlife, the place actually reeks of death.

Come on now that's well known as a myth. Fewer birds ? Possibly, but that is very easy to explain. Look at Auschwitz for example it's a big open space with little or no trees not exactly ideal habit or corridor for many species. As you said yourself "hundreds in the relatively close proximity" and what do we have here ? Wooded areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

Bambi wrote: »
    So this fella was standing in your garden at night snapping away through a window on a f***king polaroid? was he waving the photo around to develop the pictures as well?

Gerrrupourofityechancer :pac:

Well if you think about it, no such thing as digital cameras back then and all photos would have been developed by the local pharmacy which would have raised suspicions over what this guy was doing.

Polaroid was instant and untraceable so I disagree with your 'Gerrrupourofityechancer' remark.... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Holy f*ck!!!

Now that's not something you'd see every day. Glad the kid is ok.

On second thought, it does remind me a little of Foghorn Leghorn and the Henery Hawk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

But I don't actually get why she was in danger. Makes no sense to me
    face1990 wrote: »
    There's a few bits of that don't make sense! I suppose the implication is that the men were going to kill her too?
    But how the doctor knew that, and how he could tell the woman was definitely dead and not just drunk requires a little suspension of disbelief.
    Also why a doctor in Paris would speak in English to a stranger instead of French seems just a little suspicious.

Haha I know, there's more holes in that story than Swiss Cheese, that's the way it was told to me tho :D
    L0ui5e wrote: »
    That story reminds me a little bit of Dunmharu ar An Dart.. anyone who did the Junior Cert circa 1996 knows what I'm talking about

Ooh elaborate? What is it with Irish an creepy stories? Our Irish teacher told us she had this "hilarious" story for the JC, turns out three kids drown at the end of it! :eek:
    yesno1234 wrote: »
    Paris story is definately not true, when I started reading this thread I remembered being told an almost exact story in primary school and thinking that's one for this thread. Difference in my story being that the woman had to get off at the next train station where the police were waiting for the twp men/

That actually makes more sense!
    It's incredibly disconcerting to see such an amount of stories detailing encounters with predators, chiefly due to their similarities to my most unsettling memory... a memory which I'm sure will be most vivid until my dying day.

I grew up in Meath, in a small bungalow on a hill that overlooked Trim. Though it faced directly onto a relatively well travelled road, as it had no street lamps when our home was in darkness so too was that entire hill.

As a child I would often leave my bed during the early hours for ten to twenty-minute periods, sleepwalking, yet sessions where I remained highly functioning. Usually I would trounce across our hall to the kitchen and pour myself some cereal, I could even ready myself some toast at times... my mother even told me that on one such occasion she found me sweeping the floor in the living room for reasons unknown. The memories of all these moments are not my own however, their recollections formed from what my mother recalled the mornings following.

She told me that at times she would often hear me from her bed, mumbling nonsensically down the hall. Usually, she would leave me to my own devices, I never hurt myself nor threaten to set our home alight, and on the occasions she did try to wake me I became agitated, belligerent. Yes, usually she left me alone to wander, that was until the night that changed how we treated my sleepwalking.

It wasn't long after 1pm, and my mother's bed had yet to be warmed by her body, as she stared at the ceiling from beyond the wall which separated our rooms she heard my usual indistinct mutterings, white noise ushering her to a sleep. That was until she heard a more clear utterance, a voice that was not mine, a man's voice that caused her to bolt from her bed. Sprinting along the hall she burst into my room to find me standing by my bedroom window, curtains pulled wide, one hand resting on the latch. Outside my window, silent, motionless, stood a tall and narrow silhouette, a man whose features came to life as she flicked the room's light switch.

He wasn't your stereotypical boogie man, bearded and scraggy, he was clean shaven, hair neatly cropped, and though it was dark my mother later told the Gardai that there was nothing about his clothing to make him appear destitute. Seeing my mother he didn't stay by my window for long, rushing for the end of the garden never to again be seen, all that he left behind was a leather satchel that got caught in the hedges.

I't wasn't until my late teens when my mother believed I was adult enough to hear what was found in that satchel, what the Gardai brought her to the station to see. Dozens upon dozens of Polaroid pictures bound in an elastic band, photos of me. Taken over a period of some months judging by my changing pyjamas and lengthening hair, they were all taken of me as I sleepwalked, eyes half open, head hanging forward. They were taken from behind the glass of my bedroom window, from the same spot where the silhouette had stood. It took me a while to register the absolute horror of the situation, of just how close I had come to... well, thankfully I'll now never know.

I asked her what it was she had heard him say to me, she almost chocked, swept the tears from her eyes, then said, she heard him say, "That's right, just turn the latch a little more to your right!"

HOLY S**T!! Did he get arrested?!!

I've a cute little co-incidence too. When I was in NUIG I had to do a photography project, and I spotted a mint green vintage car driving up past UHG. Very cute little car, so I snapped a pic of it and photoshopped the background into black and white and left the car in colour.

A month later I was in Cobh for all the Titanic stuff and had my camera with me (project still not finished lol). So we were walking up past St Colman's Cathedral and there was another mint green Hillman (I think, can't rem the make). So I take more photos of it thinking how cute it was and not even making the connection. Check it against the other photo from Galway and it had the same reg- same car, must be following me around! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

RainyDay wrote: »
    That's one helluva taxi driver - one who collects injured waifs and strays, supplies and gives copious amounts of morphine, and does facial surgery on the side.

he knows were the moneys ah ;):pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

this was very unnerving to me,a few years ago my sister died i travelled down to her funeral and stayed over for a couple of days,when i arrived back home i noticed my answer phone blinking,when i turned on the message ,it was my sister asking me to get in touch,the message was dated a day after she died,when i pulled myself together i realized i had set the date wrong on the machine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just back to our Parisian doctor friend. Maybe the doctor was an English tourist and knowing what a corpse looks like thought he might advise the girl to hop off at the next stop.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Roisy7 wrote: »

I've a cute little co-incidence too. When I was in NUIG I had to do a photography project, and I spotted a mint green vintage car driving up past UHG. Very cute little car, so I snapped a pic of it and photoshopped the background into black and white and left the car in colour.

A month later I was in Cobh for all the Titanic stuff and had my camera with me (project still not finished lol). So we were walking up past St Colman's Cathedral and there was another mint green Hillman (I think, can't rem the make). So I take more photos of it thinking how cute it was and not even making the connection. Check it against the other photo from Galway and it had the same reg- same car, must be following me around! :D

I live in Cobh, and I think I know which car you mean, a mint-green, two-seater with hinges on the boot an the frame of one headlight missing?
    I never knew what make it was, it's got no badge, but I would usually see it parked on the hill near the cathedral when I'm walking home from the train station.

They must have taken a trip to Galway where you saw it, because most of the time they'd be parked up in Cobh. :)

Just back to our Parisian doctor friend. Maybe the doctor was an English tourist and knowing what a corpse looks like thought he might advise the girl to hop off at the next stop.

But how would he have know that she speaks English rather than French?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Shenshen wrote: »
    I live in Cobh, and I think I know which car you mean, a mint-green, two-seater with hinges on the boot an the frame of one headlight missing?
    I never knew what make it was, it's got no badge, but I would usually see it parked on the hill near the cathedral when I'm walking home from the train station.

They must have taken a trip to Galway where you saw it, because most of the time they'd be parked up in Cobh. :)

I think it is a Nissan Figaro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

That's the one! Ireland's such a small country. Such a cute car, I want it! :)

Apparently doctors are supposed to know by looking at someone whether they're dead or not. Or so my friend who told me the story says! I think more than she was in danger that the men were obvious covering up the girl's death/capable of murder hence the reason he told her to get off.

Idk Shenshen- maybe there was some clue or maybe she was wearing an Irish jersey?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

In relation to the train in paris story, I heard it slightly differently, Girl gets on the Dart late at night, two guys get on carrying what looks like a drunk girl sitting across from her only them on the train, next thing a guy hops on at dalkey sits behind your one, next thing she hears the guy behind her saying, you need to get off at the next stop, she says why secretly, he tells her he's a guard and the girl their carrying has just been murdered. Next stop she gets off, while a few guards jump on the train and arrest the two chaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

OK this didn't happen to me (thank goodness) but a pretty unnerving story nonetheless!! :eek:

http://www.japanprobe.com/2008/05/30/woman-found-living-in-mans-closet/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Merkin wrote: »
    OK this didn't happen to me (thank goodness) but a pretty unnerving story nonetheless!! :eek:

http://www.japanprobe.com/2008/05/30/woman-found-living-in-mans-closet/
    I heard one before about an old man who lived in someone roofspace in Japan. He was the previous tenant who hadnt paid the rent and was evicted... Or so they thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

My colleague is reading this thread now and just asked me have I ever seen a ghost.

It was years ago, I was staying with my great aunt in her house in Connemara. It was a big house miles from anywhere. Apparently during the great famine a cruel landlord and his beautiful daughter used to live there. The story is, he forbade the daughter from marrying a young soldier, it broke her heart and in her despair she hung herself in her bedroom. The room that I was staying in was that very bedroom, I remember it was icy cold and lit by a single candle. I was drifting off asleep when suddenly I heard a strange creaking noise from the far corner of the room.

Was it a ghost? Asked Dougle, No I said and No Ive never seen a ghost.

• Advertisement

Yep, that's him all right.
    Cute little thing.
    My husband always thought it was a kit car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I just remembered something from when I was probably about 15. Over at a friend's house hanging out and we decide to see how well we can guess cards without seeing them. I think we messed around for a while with no weird results, and then we try it this way: I pick a card at random, and hold it up so he can see the back of it. I try to 'send' what card it is and he tries to guess. The cards weren't in any way transparent and there was nothing reflective behind me - to the best of my recollection there was no way he could see the face. Out of approximate 30 guesses he got about 25 perfect, including number and suit, and the ones he got wrong was usually the right number or suit. I keep getting more and more excited and he becomes more and more awkward about the whole thing. Another friend calls to the door and I'm the one who runs up to him going "You have to see this!", the other guy was getting more and more reserved and didn't want to keep going, but we did it a few more times and he got it right again a whole bunch of times. Eventually he really insists we stop doing it and keeps trying to make out that it's not a big deal. Kind of forgot about it afterwards and never brought it up again.

This is the same guy who claims on another occasion he and a friend left his bedroom and when they came back a minute later all the drawers were open and stuff had been flung all around the room as if someone had ransacked it. He seem genuinely upset about it too.

I am a skeptical person and if I had to make a bet I would say there was a perfectly reasonable explanation, but it does make me wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Roisy7 wrote: »

Haha I know, there's more holes in that story than Swiss Cheese, that's the way it was told to me tho :D

Ooh elaborate? What is it with Irish an creepy stories? Our Irish teacher told us she had this "hilarious" story for the JC, turns out three kids drown at the end of it! :eek:

That actually makes more sense!

HOLY S**T!! Did he get arrested?!!

Maybe you were stalking them and taking photos....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Lima Golf wrote: »
    I don't know how many "a man in a van tried to kidnap me" stories I've read in this thread so far. Kids have a way of exaggerating stories in their minds, which over time they can begin to believe the exaggerated version.

You hear so many of these stories but how many children have been kidnaped in Ireland in the last, say, 20 years (other than by a parent). These men in vans are either really **** at what they're trying to do or children have over active imaginations. My bet is on the latter.

Anyway sorry for the rant. I just think people have been scared by various urban legends into believing every strange van in their area is out to kidnap them.

http://www.ispcc.ie/services/information-advice/2554

http://m.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/oct/02/child-abduction-cases-stranger-research

A child goes missing every three minutes in the UK. While the number is significantly lower over here I imagine that is largely due to a lower population and hence fewer predators.

More than one child is abducted per week over here. While some of these are carried out by parents, a large amount aren't. In the UK half of attempted abductions are carried out by strangers. It is not a stretch then to imagine that a similar percentage of the abductions over here are the same. For every successful abduction in the UK there are over three attempted abductions.

The number of reported abductions in Ireland, the UK and America is woefully low. Sadly, usually unless the child is white, female and middle-class, their abduction is likely to go unreported by the media. This is known as http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome. People just haven't heard of all the cases that do exist so their perception of how common this is is distorted.

I was one of the people who wrote a story like this in the thread and I can assure you I did not exaggerate or imagine anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Not much of a story. Just makes me feel a bit uncomfortable if I think about it.

As a kid, my granny used to mind me and my sisters after school until my parents got off work. She'd have the occasional visitor and you'd sit in the room with them feeling a bit shy as most kids do.

Every once in a while a priest would come round. Most of the time my granny would pretend she wasn't home. I just presumed she didn't want to entertain him despite being a friend of the family. When he did come in, I always felt weird sitting beside him. As a kid you put it down to being shy/awkward and him being a priest, which was a bit unusual.

When I was older, I saw his name in the news.
    Father Tony Walsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

This story has ALWAYS creeped me out.
    This happened a number of years ago to my sister who was about 15 at the time.
    She was going for a walk. We live down the country and there's a ring road that goes around our house (steep, isolated)
    She was crossing the road to meet the main road when she saw a car pulling up on the left and stopping. She saw a man staring at her from the rear view mirror and got really creeped out. She said she got the feeling she needed to run. She started running down the beach and the man was chasing her. She ran for ages and ages until she found a boulder and hid behind it. She waited for almost an hour. She then plucked up the courage to go back to where the car had been. She found the car with the driver's door still wide open.
    So so strange!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What a great thread. Scary stuff.

Never thought there was so many dangerous people out there though.

In Spain when I was around 12 we were in one of those typical touristy shops with fake football jerseys and BB guns. I was playing about with the guns and this man who worked there was trying to talk me into buying a football jersey, I humoured him but had no money anyway... then he motioned to me to come round to the store room, "Come look, come look".
    It may have been totally innocent but I felt really uneasy and left the shop. There was just something not right about his body language, he looked quite effeminate and maybe that's all it was but stuck in my head for years that I should have told someone.
    Not sure what I could have told or what could have been done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

In Spain when I was around 12 we were in one of those typical touristy shops with fake football jerseys and BB guns. I was playing about with the guns and this man who worked there was trying to talk me into buying a football jersey, I humoured him but had no money anyway... then he motioned to me to come round to the store room, "Come look, come look".
    It may have been totally innocent but I felt really uneasy and left the shop. There was just something not right about his body language, he looked quite effeminate and maybe that's all it was but stuck in my head for years that I should have told someone.
    Not sure what I could have told or what could have been done!

I once saw a guy and he was all like, hey, but I was all like, no way...anyway I called the police and it turned out he was gay...close call...

While nothing actually happened to me, I still wonder about this night, not believing in a sixth sense or premonition or anything like it.

Was 14, in my grandparents house with my mother and brother too. I couldn't sleep that night which wasn't like me at the time. I had a new Swatch watch and was looking at it every half hour, watching it go from about ten when I went to bed, till about half three. I suddenly wanted to go downstairs, so I walked down, saw a light shining through the window in the hallway, and got the heebie jeebies so ran back up the stairs. Didn't think of saying anything to anyone in the house, being half three, and not really being familiar with my grandparents place thought I was imagining and over reacting to nothing. Got back into bed, heard a car revving and speeding off, shut my eyes, and went to sleep.

Next morning we found our car had been nicked from the driveway by joyriders. Still baffled as to why I had such problems sleeping that night, right up until I'd heard (though unknown at the time) the car being stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I saw the american remake of The Ring when it was initially released in cinemas. I'm more or less desensatised (sp) to horror nowadays, but that movie really creeped me out.

Anyway, I went home and got into bed. At the end of my bed was a dresser with a TV on top of it. When I was in bed I reached forward to grab a book and the TV suddenly switched on "by itself" with the infamous static on the screen.

For a second the hairs stood on the back of my neck until I realised that I actually pressed up against the remote as I leaned foward.

TBH...even more unnerving than that is the image of 20 people emerging from the long grass in the OP. JESUS!!

• Advertisement

I just came accross the best set of creepy stories ever!

Start with this link then continue to the others at the end of each story:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/k8ktr/footsteps/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I think it was my brother in law who told me that he was in the local pub and there was a big crowd in there celebrating a GAA win by the local team. The cup they won was filled up and passed around for everyone to take a a sip from, as part of the celebrations. When the cup was nearly empty, they found a set of false teeth sitting in the bottom of it :D
    One of the aul lads propped up at the bar, with a few too many on him, had apparantly let them slip in when taking a sip. Cue half the bar running outside to throw their guts up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Because she was wearing a twin set, tweed skirt, pearls and flat brogues. Not a sniff of parisienne style about her. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Duvetdays wrote: »
    Many years ago when I was 16 I was meeting some friends in my local town in south dublin. As luck would have it for me one of there dads dropped them at my house instead of me meeting them in the town as was originally planned the 3 of us girls set off on the 15/20min walk we took a short cut that at times is isolated if I was on my own I probably would've wałked it as it was quicker then going the long way but occasionally I wouldn't as like I said it was a bit isolated and I'm easily unnerved. As we started walking were it gets lonely we passed a man just standing there and he creeped me out a bit as there was no logical reason for him to just be standing there. We kept on walking and when I looked over my shoulder he appeared to be following us and stepped back against bushes against the wall when he seen I was looking over my shoulder at him. We continued walking and as I looked back again he did the same again but this time there was something shiny glint in his hand. The 3 of us got completely freaked and ran and when we got to where it was more open and populated we started walking again and we guessed the man was gone and we went on to enjoy our day and forgot about it. A couple of weeks later there was a stabbing murder not 500m from where we saw the man that is well known and still unsolved.

First off WOW what a thread secondly have you reported this to the Guards in Dun Laoghaire.

Bruce7 wrote: »
    When I was about 8 or 10 a group of us were forced to play roles in the mass at Christmas. The three wise men, Mary and Jesus and all that. There was something weird about the parish priest and it was strongly suspected that he was 'one of them', shall we say, so we all made sure never to be on our own with him (I can't remember his name but we called him Father Mickey Dodger).

We had to go to the church after school to rehearse for a week or so before Christmas day. He was always trying to get kids to come back to his house under various pretexts, but we'd always find a way of avoiding it. Then Christmas Eve came when the costumes were being handed out. He gave most of the costumes out at the last rehearsal, but said that the last few were back in his house, and myself and two other boys, Michael and Dara would have to go back with him to get them. There was no way to refuse, so we went back, whispering to each other to stay near the door and not to allow him to separate us.

So we went into his living room, and it was dark and grotty. The furniture was all ancient and in terrible condition, and there were dirty ashtrays and bottles of drink everywhere. He had a big table with a candle in a holder on it and there were piles of old books on the table. We crept over to the table to look at the book that was lying open but it was in some script we couldn't read. There was something very weird about it. It didn't look like a Bible or anything like that.

The priest came into the room with the costumes, and must have seen that we were a bit freaked out, so he was as friendly and reassuring as he could be. He started giving us our costumes and we began to relax a bit, but then the phone rang, one of those big old black bakelite things. He answered normally, and listened for a minute; then his eyes kind of glazed over and he said "Yes. At once" in this really weird voice. He walked out of the room as if he hadn't seen us and went upstairs. He had left the phone off the hook and Dara went over and picked it up.

"Who's there?" he said, trying to sound brave. Then his face went white and he froze completely. Michael had had enough. He grabbed Dara and me and we ran out of there. As we passed through the hall, the priest was coming down the stairs carrying a roll of black bags and a rope. We ran like Hell and didn't look back until we were back on our road.

We asked Dara what he had heard on the other end of the phone, but he was completely white; he just shook his head, and wouldn't say a single word. We went home, and after that we simply never saw him again. He wasn't there at mass the next day, and when we went to call for him after Christmas, his house was completely empty. When school started again, his desk was left empty for a few days and then just taken away. Another family moved into his house a few months later and that was that.

That is the most terrifying story I have ever read.

Bruce7 wrote: »
    Nobody knows, but I firmly believe SATAN was on the line, calling from HELL.

That reply would give King a run for his money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

Duvetdays wrote: »
    Many years ago when I was 16 I was meeting some friends in my local town in south dublin. As luck would have it for me one of there dads dropped them at my house instead of me meeting them in the town as was originally planned the 3 of us girls set off on the 15/20min walk we took a short cut that at times is isolated if I was on my own I probably would've wałked it as it was quicker then going the long way but occasionally I wouldn't as like I said it was a bit isolated and I'm easily unnerved. As we started walking were it gets lonely we passed a man just standing there and he creeped me out a bit as there was no logical reason for him to just be standing there. We kept on walking and when I looked over my shoulder he appeared to be following us and stepped back against bushes against the wall when he seen I was looking over my shoulder at him. We continued walking and as I looked back again he did the same again but this time there was something shiny glint in his hand. The 3 of us got completely freaked and ran and when we got to where it was more open and populated we started walking again and we guessed the man was gone and we went on to enjoy our day and forgot about it. A couple of weeks later there was a stabbing murder not 500m from where we saw the man that is well known and still unsolved.

Hold up a minute, that wasn't in the metals in Glenageary was it?! They're still trying to solve that, you should definitely tell the Gardai!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I posted this in the "flasher" thread the other day but sure here goes. It's not supernatural but creepy all the same.

I was walking home from Cork City to Bishopstown on a Monday night about 12am. I had been at a friend's house watching a dvd, it was a nice night and I had runners on so was looking forward to a nice walk. It's a lit up walk, and generally good few vehicles and people around.

I was walking out Western Road, there were a few people around passing against me. A guy passed me out from behind and walked on, turning down the passage way that leads to the Mardyke Arena area. I noted that he was small enough, black jacket and black trousers.

As I walked past the entrance to the alley, I looked into it and saw him a few feet away facing a tree and furiously **** with a really angry expression on his face, shouting "look at it, look at my cock". I got a fright but just thought "perv", told him to fck off and crossed the street. He shouted "I'll kill you, you bitch" after me. He was foreign, Eastern European sounding.

Now it gets freaky. The whole footpath across the road was dug up and blocked off, so I had to cross back unless I wanted to walk on the road with my back to the traffic. Crossed back diagonally, trying to get ahead as quickly as possible. I kept looking back and could see he had run from the alley out into the main street and was slowly coming after me, still exposed and still with this awful expression on his face. Now there are houses all along that stretch of road with gated entrances and he was slipping in and out of them, trying to stay half concealed. I looked around and there was not another soul on the street, not even a car on the road. Just silence. It was like there was nothing on the earth only him and me. Stubbornly, I would not run, would not scream, I did not want to give him the satisfaction of frightening me. My heart was thumping out of my chest though.

I walked on and kept looking back and forward. I looked back again and he had gone. Stood there for a while, scanning the whole area to make sure that he wasn't hiding anywhere, walked back onto the road to get a better look and was positive that he was gone...somewhere. Kept walking and then it occurred to me that if he slipped down the back road past the Mardyke, he could meet me at the end of the road. So I stood where I was and thank fck the next car to come was a taxi, which I hailed and got home.

To my embarrassment, I never actually reported it to the Gardaí. I was so relieved to get home, that a few weeks actually passed before the thought ever occurred to me. I haven't heard any similar stories thankfully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Here's another one...
    Me and my daughter who was 4yrs at the time, were in a bedroom upstairs ( it was day time) I thought I seen something like a black shadow look in the door from the corner of my eye, I put it down to nothing.......until my daughter said "Dad, what was that looking in the door? :eek:

Look up shadow people on Wikipedia.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Slighty off topic, but I remember two occasions were I was actually the cause of someone being creeped out.

Firstly, I was walking home fairly late at night on a road that is usually very busy during the day but was dead at night. It was the middle of winter and the freezing wind was blowing right into me so I had my head tilted down so soften the blow. This meant that I couldn't see what was more than a few feet in front of me. So I came to this big puddle that was covering the entire width of the footpath. It was quite big but I was just about able to clear it with a powerful jump. So I leapt over this puddle at which point I heard a scream and it turned out a girl was walking towards me (who I didn't see because my head was down) and was right in front of me when I jumped. It must of seemed like I was about to attack her. I immediately realised what I did and apologised profusely. Thankfully we both just laughted it off.

Secondly, I saw Mick Lally in a production of The Field in my local theatre one night. When I got home it must of been about 11:45. I then realised I needed to get something from the local 24 shop which was just a 5 minute walk though the estate. So I left my house and started walking up the road. The place was deserted apart from me and an elderly women on the path ahead of me. My normal walking pace was faster than the women's so she started to become closer and closer. When we were about half a block apart she turned and looked at me. She kept walking and about a minute later she turned and looked at me again. Then she started running for dear life towards the main road. She was only running for about 5 seconds when she tripped, fell and rolled off the path into the road. At this point I realised I must of terrified this poor women. I walked over to her and helped her on her feet. I asked if she was OK and she said she was fine. At this point I was at the shop which was actually full of people. I felt awful for inadvertently scarring the hell out of her and I offered to call her a taxi and she could wait in the shop with the other people. She declined and continued walking. I have by no means an intimidating appearence but this women must have felt very vulnerable alone late at night in a deserted estate with a strange man approaching her.

Clearly my purpose in life is to accidently terrify women walking alone at night :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Ah stop I know Ireland is small but that car is familiar to me as well .! I see it up the north side they must wrk up there . Not many if those around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

In the 90's my friend walking along western road - part between UCC and the traffic lights said that a man inside a window flashed her as well . It could be the same guy ... Yuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    Ah stop I know Ireland is small but that car is familiar to me as well .! I see it up the north side they must wrk up there . Not many if those around
    Theres actually quite a few of them around, they were fairly popular when they came out in the early nineties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Well this was just a unnerving..... Was in college and living in digs on campus. One night I decided to stay in but offered to give the others a lift to the pub. On the way home I had a cigarette and the top fell off it and I was stamping around to put it out but appeared all fine. I parked up in the college car park and headed in to bed. All night i lay awake with this stupid thought that after I left my car would go up in flames and that the cars on either side of mine would be destroyed because of me. Irrational I know. I imagined that an announcement came over the colleges intercom thingy asking the owners of the cars, including me, to attend he scene of the fire.... Ridiculous!

Anyways the next morning I was getting dressed and over the intercom thingy came the caretaker reading out the reg plates of about 6 cars in the car park and could the owners report to his office. My car was one of them. My heart EXPLODED! I ran all the way there. Turns out all of the cars called out were broken into overnight. Never was I soooo relieved to have my car broken into (knew there was nowt in it anyways) I just thought it was pretty freaky!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I remember someone posted this a few months ago or maybe longer about a piss dungeon that was discovered in a pub in London. I would consider this quite a creepy kind of story. The description this guy gives of when he first copped on that he was being watched taking a piss from below creeped the bejaysus out of me.
    Customer: “Listen mate, this is gonna sound totally insane, but I’ve just gone for a piss in the urinal and I could’ve sworn I saw an eyeball looking up from the hole.”

Barman: “I'm sorry?” my mate replies.

Customer: “Not just an eyeball, but like, an eyebrow as well. And the eye was looking around.”

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/deep-inside-the-chain-pub-piss-dungeon

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Thanks guys, despite being the best thread I have possibly ever read my heart is now racing and there is no way I'm waking up at 9am ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Secondly, I saw Mick Lally in a production of The Field in my local theatre one night. When I got home it must of been about 11:45. I then realised I needed to get something from the local 24 shop which was just a 5 minute walk though the estate. So I left my house and started walking up the road. The place was deserted apart from me and an elderly women on the path ahead of me. My normal walking pace was faster than the women's so she started to become closer and closer. When we were about half a block apart she turned and looked at me. She kept walking and about a minute later she turned and looked at me again. Then she started running for dear life towards the main road. She was only running for about 5 seconds when she tripped, fell and rolled off the path into the road. At this point I realised I must of terrified this poor women. I walked over to her and helped her on her feet. I asked if she was OK and she said she was fine. At this point I was at the shop which was actually full of people. I felt awful for inadvertently scarring the hell out of her and I offered to call her a taxi and she could wait in the shop with the other people. She declined and continued walking. I have by no means an intimidating appearence but this women must have felt very vulnerable alone late at night in a deserted estate with a strange man approaching her.

Clearly my purpose in life is to accidently terrify women walking alone at night :o

I have to admit I was once walking after a girl in suburbia at night. Once she realised I was following her (not intentionally I must add :P ) I sped up as well until I had to take a turn. I got a giggle out of it but not really a nice thing to do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

I have to admit I was once walking after a girl in suburbia at night. Once she realised I was following her (not intentionally I must add :P ) I sped up as well until I had to take a turn. I got a giggle out of it but not really a nice thing to do...

Eh, understatement!

I was walking home one day and there was a young girl in school uniform in front of me. We were on a narrow path and she was walking so slow that i had to slow down to because i couldn't pass her. Anyway. As I neared my street I turned the corner and she was gone. Instead of going in my front door I walked up the alleyway at the back to check the oil tank level. There she was, now running knocking frantically on her back door looking back at me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You took pleasure in making a woman feel afraid of you, alone at night, and behaved threateningly to increase her fear.

You're creepy, congratulations. The fact that you didn't attack her doesn't change that.

Advertisement