Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Got into bed at around 1 this morning, I had been in deep conversation with one of my closer cousins for a number of hours, where we had been discussing both the merits and perils of Halloween and the involvement of our late grandmother, who always was attracted to the festival with a great enthusiasm. We were reminiscing about how in the old days Pumpkins were hard to get and how we use to carve heads out of turnip and our granny would make a mash of turnip, spud and cabbage and serve it with Roast Chicken or boiled ham. We would always get up to Enniskillen for shopping during half term and we would be hitting cold bottles of lilt and scoffing our face with flogs, jelly cola bottles and yorkie bars. Eating proper Irish úils, monkey nuts and mandarin oranges.

At bedtime our granny was fond of acting the bollox and she used to almost enter an advanced trance like state when she was tickling us early evening to help us have a laugh, generate some fear and basically get us knackered before we hit the nest. She was fond of jumping on the bed and bouncing it around, after we were out of the bath and getting dried off. These were lovely early evening memories of innocence mixed with the delights of Halloween, face stuffing with sweets and getting tucked in.

When I got to my bedroom last night the room was freezing cold, which surprised me, as I had left the heat on specifically as it was stormy enough and I wanted to be snug also. I checked the radiator and it was stone cold. Bemused I went for the hotpress and noticed the emersion was working fine and not satisfied with this ended up downstairs at the boiler checking if it was working, all seemed fine. I resigned myself to it being possibly a poorly bled radiator and I was getting tired so locked everything up again and hit the sack.

I couldn't get into my book and felt tired and so turned off the light and closed my eyes. I was just sinking in when I heard what sounded like a large plastic bottle of fizz being opened , I was not sure if I was dreaming or not. I then could feel a heaviness on my bed and it seemed as it someone was almost bouncing on it. However when I went to try to turn over and put on the light I couldn't move... at all. I was frozen solid in the bed, I could not even get out of the fetal position. I was stuck. The bed began bouncing more frantically and I despite my attempts to move I simply couldn't. This went on for a minute or so and I could also smell mashed turnip and hear hands rumbling in a plastic bag and could smell flogs. I then began to feel the room heating up intensely and I was almost beginning to panic when suddenly the bouncing stopped and I was able to move again. I sat for a while, slightly scared but not too bad. I got out of bed and turned on the light and felt the radiator, it was piping hot. I went to the toilet and had a leak and washed my face and hands. I was tired and went back into the room. There was a half pint glass on my bedside table filled with freezing cold lilt. I have no idea how it got there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hope you said "Thank you, Granny!". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Got into bed at around 1 this morning, I had been in deep conversation with one of my closer cousins for a number of hours, where we had been discussing both the merits and perils of Halloween and the involvement of our late grandmother, who always was attracted to the festival with a great enthusiasm. We were reminiscing about how in the old days Pumpkins were hard to get and how we use to carve heads out of turnip and our granny would make a mash of turnip, spud and cabbage and serve it with Roast Chicken or boiled ham. We would always get up to Enniskillen for shopping during half term and we would be hitting cold bottles of lilt and scoffing our face with flogs, jelly cola bottles and yorkie bars. Eating proper Irish úils, monkey nuts and mandarin oranges.

At bedtime our granny was fond of acting the bollox and she used to almost enter an advanced trance like state when she was tickling us early evening to help us have a laugh, generate some fear and basically get us knackered before we hit the nest. She was fond of jumping on the bed and bouncing it around, after we were out of the bath and getting dried off. These were lovely early evening memories of innocence mixed with the delights of Halloween, face stuffing with sweets and getting tucked in.

When I got to my bedroom last night the room was freezing cold, which surprised me, as I had left the heat on specifically as it was stormy enough and I wanted to be snug also. I checked the radiator and it was stone cold. Bemused I went for the hotpress and noticed the emersion was working fine and not satisfied with this ended up downstairs at the boiler checking if it was working, all seemed fine. I resigned myself to it being possibly a poorly bled radiator and I was getting tired so locked everything up again and hit the sack.

I couldn't get into my book and felt tired and so turned off the light and closed my eyes. I was just sinking in when I heard what sounded like a large plastic bottle of fizz being opened , I was not sure if I was dreaming or not. I then could feel a heaviness on my bed and it seemed as it someone was almost bouncing on it. However when I went to try to turn over and put on the light I couldn't move... at all. I was frozen solid in the bed, I could not even get out of the fetal position. I was stuck. The bed began bouncing more frantically and I despite my attempts to move I simply couldn't. This went on for a minute or so and I could also smell mashed turnip and hear hands rumbling in a plastic bag and could smell flogs. I then began to feel the room heating up intensely and I was almost beginning to panic when suddenly the bouncing stopped and I was able to move again. I sat for a while, slightly scared but not too bad. I got out of bed and turned on the light and felt the radiator, it was piping hot. I went to the toilet and had a leak and washed my face and hands. I was tired and went back into the room. There was a half pint glass on my bedside table filled with freezing cold lilt. I have no idea how it got there.
    Does it taste like the proper old Lilt or the horrible chemical soup that passes for Lilt nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

At bedtime our granny was fond of acting the bollox .

:D:D

I'm not sure why exactly, but i got a good giggle out of this line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That wasn't lilt.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

There was a half pint glass on my bedside table filled with freezing cold lilt.

I was with you till this bit. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Seems like someone come in and bled your rad into a pint glass and you thought it was lily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Quazzie wrote: »
    Seems like someone come in and bled your rad into a pint glass and you thought it was lily.

Was Lily his grandmother? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bibblybobbly

I feel half daft posting this however I said I would see what people think that have experiences with this type of thing

Basically I am living with my wife and daughter in our house for the past two years now, the house was originally my aunts whom i was very close with, she sadly passed away earlier in the year from coronavirus. The house we live in is not your typical house as it’s almost 200 years old.

Now onto whats been going on lately, in the last few weeks particularly, I have been in my own room working from home and have heard what can only be described as breathing which feels very close to me, last week I was particularly sick and went to bed early could not sleep and then again I hear this breathing really close to me, I was wide awake, I thought it was odd but shrugged it off. Now I should state I have on the odd occasion thought i heard this same sound last year also. I did not mention it to my wife as she is the last person in the world to believe anything supernatural, I’d be also sceptical but am more open minded ..

Now, onto this week, I went to bed at approximately 11.30, our daughter who is one and sleeps in our room was fast asleep, I drifted off and awoke to my wife screaming and shaking me, I woke choking and gasping for air, I felt like I had been asleep for hours however it was just after 12, I asked my wife what the hell was going on, she said that she was awake and about to go asleep when she saw a black shadow like figure standing over our bed which then moved towards me, she screamed and shook me to wake, I didn’t see anything just woke choking which was a very jarring sensation to say the least! I said you must of been dreaming but she is adamant that she was wide awake

Since then she’s been quite rattled, I’m not sure what to do here, I’m not a very religious person but should I get the house blessed?

Thanks for any input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I feel half daft posting this however I said I would see what people think that have experiences with this type of thing

Basically I am living with my wife and daughter in our house for the past two years now, the house was originally my aunts whom i was very close with, she sadly passed away earlier in the year from coronavirus. The house we live in is not your typical house as it’s almost 200 years old.

Now onto whats been going on lately, in the last few weeks particularly, I have been in my own room working from home and have heard what can only be described as breathing which feels very close to me, last week I was particularly sick and went to bed early could not sleep and then again I hear this breathing really close to me, I was wide awake, I thought it was odd but shrugged it off. Now I should state I have on the odd occasion thought i heard this same sound last year also. I did not mention it to my wife as she is the last person in the world to believe anything supernatural, I’d be also sceptical but am more open minded ..

Now, onto this week, I went to bed at approximately 11.30, our daughter who is one and sleeps in our room was fast asleep, I drifted off and awoke to my wife screaming and shaking me, I woke choking and gasping for air, I felt like I had been asleep for hours however it was just after 12, I asked my wife what the hell was going on, she said that she was awake and about to go asleep when she saw a black shadow like figure standing over our bed which then moved towards me, she screamed and shook me to wake, I didn’t see anything just woke choking which was a very jarring sensation to say the least! I said you must of been dreaming but she is adamant that she was wide awake

Since then she’s been quite rattled, I’m not sure what to do here, I’m not a very religious person but should I get the house blessed?

Thanks for any input

That's scary stuff, the first thing I would do is check your temperature and maybe get a test to see if you have anything wrong with your health.

this may be coming from within and is something that has stuck within your thoughts after your aunt died and playing tricks with your mind, also with non stop info coming from your computer, radio or TV it can be hard to get it out of your head...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I’m not a very religious person but should I get the house blessed?

I love this thread.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I love this thread.

I can see the irony in what i said alright, in the absence of having it blessed I’m not sure what else i can do!

I can see the irony in what i said alright, in the absence of having it blessed I’m not sure what else i can do!

Ah I'm only messing!

I don't think there is a need to do anything, just appreciate the interesting experience. Thanks for sharing!

jk23 wrote: »
    That's scary stuff, the first thing I would do is check your temperature and maybe get a test to see if you have anything wrong with your health.

this may be coming from within and is something that has stuck within your thoughts after your aunt died and playing tricks with your mind, also with non stop info coming from your computer, radio or TV it can be hard to get it out of your head...

Thanks for the reply, yeah I would put the other hearing breathing sounds down to well I don’t no not much, it has been a stressful year, but the other night was odd, never seen the missus like that in 10 years, it’s upset the whole house as she won’t sleep alone in the room now unless we go to bed at the same time, hopefully it’s a one off and it probably was her half dreaming without realising it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

When you hear the breathing close to you how does it make you feel?

I ask you this as the office I work in is haunted, now when I say haunted, randomly I get the smell of roses, it’s like someone just sprayed air freshener in front of my face. I always say Thank you and it’s a beautiful scent and they must be beautiful roses. I never feel scared.

Autosport wrote: »

I ask you this as the office I work in is haunted, now when I say haunted, randomly I get the smell of roses, it’s like someone just sprayed air freshener in front of my face. I always say Thank you and it’s a beautiful scent and they must be beautiful roses. I never feel scared.

Interesting, I don’t feel scared necessarily, more like am I actually hearing that, but it does play on my mind a bit as in wtf is that and question am I going a bit cuckoo but it’s not a threatening feeling, just odd

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭tamara25

There definitely is a presence/spirit in the house. I can understand how your wife feels, I would be terrified myself. Yes get the house blessed or I know of a person in Galway who could help clear the energy in the house. Hope you get it sorted

Interesting, I don’t feel scared necessarily, more like am I actually hearing that, but it does play on my mind a bit as in wtf is that and question am I going a bit cuckoo but it’s not a threatening feeling, just odd

Acknowledge it and ask if it’s your aunt and if it is ask for a sign.
    If not get the house blessed

I never had any experiences like the one mentioned above, but i would love to. I don't know what to make of it.

My twin died moments after his birth. My mam told me a while back about hearing a baby crying in the weeks that followed. It didn't frighten her, she just thought, ah yeah, that's Brian.

The mind is a funny thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

As your wife was seeing something too the cause may be external rather than just your mind. Have your ventilation heating system checked as poor ventilation or gas build up can be dangerous and cause something like this. Is the room damp or mouldy? By all means get a blessing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Alqua

auspicious wrote: »

Reminds me of this one - https://youtu.be/3Bf_bxfE5gw - really good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

There ya go, mystery solved

https://glade-uc1.azureedge.net/~/media/glade/2019-us-spring-19-update/product-story/large-automatic-spray-form.png?la=en&hash=A63451426537423F175462D5642C0321

Thanks for any input

Priority: get a carbon monoxide alarm, it is very important that you check the levels and what you describe could potentially be due to a dangerous build-up in CO. Ventilate the room in the meantime. CO takes over your red blood cell oxygen space and can render your perception very dysfunctional. I would advise anybody here with a similar type of story to eliminate the possibility of Carbon Monoxide build-up in the house, especially in rooms one may feel are haunted. Sounds of breathing close-by can be one's own lungs trying to compensate also, but can be per River as coming from outside.

If left to continue CO poisoning builds up serious disorientation to the point of unconsciousness and death. Some are more sensitive to it than others. If you buy a CO alarm and it goes off in the room, open the window immediately, get everyone out, turn off the heating, call the fire brigade who will advise further, and an ambulance to get treated in hospital. It can be as serious as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Alqua wrote: »
    Reminds me of this one - https://youtu.be/3Bf_bxfE5gw - really good!
    That first YouTube video is practically a word for word ripoff. I think that documentary was on Channel 4 and it interviewed those who had the experiences. It does make you wonder when you see people who seem very level headed recount what they saw.

Since when does CO poisoning cause hallucinations and strange smells of roses, of heaviness on beds, or strange noises?
    I’m all for CO awareness and I work in that area but I don’t see how it fits in with hauntings etc. Headaches, nausea and drowsiness would be more CO related

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Since when does CO poisoning cause hallucinations and strange smells of roses, of heaviness on beds, or strange noises?
    I’m all for CO awareness and I work in that area but I don’t see how it fits in with hauntings etc. Headaches, nausea and drowsiness would be more co related

It is becoming more common on board airlines, and currently is the greatest threat to air safety. There are increasingly documented reports of it happening, one relating to two British Airways pilots who nearly crashed their airplane full of passengers shortly before touchdown in Heathrow (or was it Gatwick). Likewise a very recent I
    occurence in South America where the cabin crew purser was required to supervise the pilots inputs on their request. Another very recent occurrence happened in Middle East when a passenger jet departed shortly after a Cessna Citation jet and the pilots were briefly overcome by fumes on the climb out. The footballer Sala died when his pilot became disorientated by CO fumes filling the fully- pressurised cabin from the engine compartment. Disorientation and distorted perception is a major symptom, and pilots are people who are trained to recognise very first symptoms of it and usually manage to don masks before a tragedy occurs. But an awful lot of people would not realise that some strange and distorted perceptions could be CO poisoning. It's just important to take the very simple measure of ruling it right out of the picture to start with, then explore all the other possibilities. CO Battery alarms are on sale in my local SuperValu, eg, so very easy to get and do a check. Of course I'm not remotely suggesting it accounts for everything, and especially not scents of roses.

Yea fair enough. No harm I suppose. Every bedroom or bedroom area should have one installed at sleeping height, regardless of spooky events happening.

Hmmm considering I’m 99% of the time in my own in the office and don’t have any plug in air fresheners I know it’s not that :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

What about your soap or your hand sanitiser?

New Home wrote: »
    What about your soap or your hand sanitiser?

No smell of the santiizer, it’s just random. I should also mention the building is built beside sacred grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I remember reading about Lourdes and people saying when they had the smell of roses, it's supposed to be the presence of the Virgin Mary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I remember reading about Lourdes and people saying when they had the smell of roses, it's supposed to be the presence of the Virgin Mary.

Or maybe there's actually roses growing nearby.

I wouldn't hold Lourdes up as some great example of a place where strange things happen.

I’m lucky in that I only get the smell of roses, In some of the other offices you can hear people talking and you open the door and there’s no one in there. Lights turning on and off, footsteps in the hallways. I was walking out the office door one day and heard footsteps so I stopped so I wouldn’t walk into them and when after a few seconds I peeped my head out there was no one there.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Or maybe there's actually roses growing nearby.

I wouldn't hold Lourdes up as some great example of a place where strange things happen.

Unless I hold them up I’m under my nose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Just another little thing that I remember. My grandad and I were very close. He died on my birthday. When he died, I asked my Gran if I could have a little musical Irish cottage he used to wind up and play for me as a child, she said no problem. It has pride of place in my mum’s glass cabinet. One year, when visiting my parents we were in the lounge talking about my grandad, and I was upset as it was my birthday, and out of nowhere, the little cottage starting playing in the glass press. It hasn’t happened ever again, but I took comfort out of it.

Could be some other gas other than CO best get it checked out at any rate. I remember working outside on a calm day in a semi enclosed area with the boiler on and the flue nearby. after a bit I felt really strange and perceptions were all off. Took a while to come to normal.

No smell of the santiizer, it’s just random. I should also mention the building is built beside sacred grounds.

What do you mean by sacred grounds? A cemetery or are you close by some real sacred grounds like Uluru or other indigenous people's sacred places?

What do you mean by sacred grounds? A cemetery or are you close by some real sacred grounds like Uluru or other indigenous people's sacred places?

Is a cemetery not considered sacred?

Some people are so anti religion they need to tell everyone always, it’s like when someone doesn’t have Facebook.

A cemetery is a sacred place for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes it is, It is consecrated ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

ive never understood why a ghost would hang around a cemetery. they would have died days before so if there are such things as ghosts, it would be away off being a ghost long before the remains got the the cemetery

Lost souls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

maccored wrote: »
    ive never understood why a ghost would hang around a cemetery. they would have died days before so if there are such things as ghosts, it would be away off being a ghost long before the remains got the the cemetery

There's a short story* which has a very humourous account of those who have died sitting on their respective graves - all giving out to each other, fighting and gossiping just as they had in real life. Bit like boards I suppose ,)

I think the tradition about ghosts is that they are tied to the vicinity of their earthly remains or sometimes the place where they passed away as their souls remain stuck there.

Edit: I'll post an overview of that story* below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

I've had unusual experiences,I remember being off my head on drink and drug's back in 2003 and I was walking home through the town park.
    Walked through a wooded area and I met all these people in their 20's sitting on benches in the wooded area.
    Anyhow I got chatting with them and they basically told me to get my act together and kick the hooch and chemicals.
    They told me they were all dead from drink and drug's, and are there to give me a wake up call.
    I had one more mad binge after that and didn't touch a drug or drink since.
    But I still remember all those good looking guys and women on those benches.

Another time I seen a pile of bone's in my grandmother's field in Kerry I was a kid, I ran into tell my dad and he came out with me...they were gone.
    Same happened a few days later and I didn't bother telling dad.

My grandmother's house was built on a ley line or fairy path in North Kerry.
    A bleak place beside the river Feale.
    She was afraid of nothing but she always told my parents to get rid of the house when she passes on, it's haunted and never sleep there with the kids when she's gone.
    She reckoned it was an old pagan entity which tried to torment her, she had her bedroom covered in holy pictures to keep it out, similar to the priest's room in the Omen covered in biblical pages.
    She never went to mass or believed in God but for some reason she put all her holy stuff on the walls of her bedroom.

There was a back room in the house we all felt unnerved walking by, and she always said leave the door open...
    The locals warned her and my grandfather not to build on that part of the acre.
    The old house was down by the road and they said knock the old house and build on top a bit further back from the road.

I'm sceptical about all this stuff but that house was definitely intriguing and will remain in my memory until the day I die.
    I go down there fly-fishing during the summer, and looking at the house from the river Feale it still looks errie.
    It's in Brosna Co Kerry...
    A bleak place Eddie Lenihan comes from there and he reckons there's a lot of activity in the area.

Another guy who's dead now, told me that the land around Brosna is full of sadness and all that's left is the old people.

I don't really bother arguing or debating with people about this stuff, because they're not interested in the Paranormal or feel it could be real.

There's a lot of explanation but there's a hell of a lot of people trying to undermine people's stories and experiences too.

As I said I'm sceptical but I'd prefer if it was true rather than not.
    Because I'd embrace a spooky experience rather than recoil from it.
    I walk old road's through Hazelwoods at night with a torch and spare batteries and listening to the sounds of the night is fascinating.
    Animals breaking twig's in the woods and owl's and bats fluttering by, I love rural living and emulate the old ways.
    Walking to these places in the dark isn't frightening but it sure is exciting...

Until next time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

"Cré na Cille"

I love the picture of this story by Máirtín Ó Cadhain who presents the dead and buried going on bickeing and giving out as they had in real life ...
    All of the characters in “Cré na Cille” are dead. . They are not ghosts or spirits but rather chattering, coffin-bound corpses, buried in a graveyard on Ireland’s west coast during the Second World War. They have left behind a world of rural hardship—a place where poor, Irish-speaking farmers eke out a living selling seaweed and periwinkles and coaxing potatoes out of rocky soil—only to find the bitter squabbles and petty pretensions of their villages continuing unabated in the ground. The book has no plot to speak of and unfolds entirely through dialogue. Dozens of voices make themselves known through a circuitous invocation of grievances and gossip: the Big Master, a haughty schoolteacher, declares his widow a “harlot” upon learning she quickly remarried after his death; Nora Johnny, a woman who once spent scandalous evenings with sailors in Galway nightclubs, insists she’s found “culture” in the grave; an insurance salesman brags about the villagers he swindled; an elderly woman insists she’d still be alive if she’d had the strength to lift herself out of the fire she fell into one day; someone repeatedly pledges allegiance to Hitler. Above all others rises the voice of Caitriona Paudeen, a viperous old woman who has long despised her (still-living) sister Nell, for marrying a man they both loved:

"I thought I’d live for another couple of years, and I’d bury her before me, the ****. She’s gone down a bit since her son got injured. She was going to the doctor for a good bit before that, of course. But there’s nothing wrong with her. Rheumatism. Sure, that wouldn’t kill her for years yet […] I nearly buried her. If I had lived just a tiny little bit more …"

The inhabitants of the graveyard are hopelessly self-involved, but the book transcends their narrow purview. Their quotidian fixations and pious self-posturing achieve a magnificently improbable universality: look past the talk of seaweed farming and pilgrimages to sacred wells, and you start to sense that the corpses’ gripes and tall-tales—about drunken excursions, sticky-fingered neighbors, scheming paramours—are the same ones heard at bars and bus stops from Baltimore to Beijing.

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/the-irish-novel-thats-so-good-people-were-scared-to-translate-it

Maybe we're all dead here too :pac:

Yes of course cemeteries and graveyards are but I've never heard people refer to them as sacred spaces. Consecrated or holy ground, yes. To me the term sacred space would be more the term used for the holy places belonging to the pagan/old religions rather than say the Christian spaces. I was interested to know if Autosport worked some place interesting. His signature mentions an elevator so mentally I placed him in the US.
    Some people are so anti religion they need to tell everyone always, it’s like when someone doesn’t have Facebook.

What are you waffling on about? Anti-religion and Facebook? Where di you get that? Assumptions are the mother of all ****-ups as I learned here just now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

maccored wrote: »

If you look at old graveyards a lot of them are planted with yew trees - I was told this was to keep the dead IN - they cannot pass yews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I rented an old cottage a while back - it was a few hundred years old and partnof a grand old estate - what they call ‘sympathetically restored’. Lovely sunlit spacious entrance way and staircase to the upstairs rooms with a window seat. I NEVER felt right coming through or using the suntrap there - and at night despite radiators a corner of the room was always freezing and had a really bad feel to it. I kept saying to myself it was all in my mind but even the dog would whine and refuse to sit there and would whimper and refuse to go upstairs past the spot. Chills me still to think about it.

I rented an old cottage a while back - it was a few hundred years old and partnof a grand old estate - what they call ‘sympathetically restored’. Lovely sunlit spacious entrance way and staircase to the upstairs rooms with a window seat. I NEVER felt right coming through or using the suntrap there - and at night despite radiators a corner of the room was always freezing and had a really bad feel to it. I kept saying to myself it was all in my mind but even the dog would whine and refuse to sit there and would whimper and refuse to go upstairs past the spot. Chills me still to think about it.

Did you know the history of the place?

• Advertisement
Advertisement