Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I sometimes get sleep paralysis. It used to freak me out when I was a kid, not being able to move, or scream and no sound comes out.

I had my first hallucination though, one Stephen's night in or around ten years ago. I hadn't slept in a week due to the fact that I had the worst flu I had ever had in my life. I was on the mend so I went out to my boyfriend's family home and stayed the night on the sofa. I was resigned to not sleeping due to my cough, but I lay down anyway as there was literally nothing better to do.

At some point I did in fact fall asleep for a little while. And when I woke up it was still the middle of the night. Across the room, crouched by the door, were what appeared to be two skin-heads. I remained very rational, stared at them until my eyes could make sense of what I was actually seeing. Some light through the curtain casting oddly on something.

And I continued to stare at them as they both stood up, with the most menacing expressions on their faces and crossed the room to me on the sofa. I woke up fully, screaming my already raw lungs out.

Worst thing was not one fcuker in the house stirred in spite of my own ears ringing from my screams. Bastards.

--

The other time I hallucinated was when my kid was a newborn and there was no sleep to be had. I was zonked on the sofa and was relatively sure I was awake until I became aware of a little boy standing next to the telly staring at me.

I think the worst thing was that being paralysed, I couldn't drag my eyes away from the the frigging One Show to take a good look at him. *shakes fist* Bleakly!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

Well....
    I was in the bed 2 days ago and i left my desktop on sleep and all of a sudden it turned on in pitch dark lol i was ****ting my self
    It has happened 3 times already in the past 4 months
    I mean like a desktop does not turn on by itself you probably know in order to wake a desptop up from its sleep you either have to move the mouse around or hit the on/off button
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Well....
    I was in the bed 2 days ago and i left my desktop on sleep and all of a sudden it turned on in pitch dark lol i was ****ting my self
    I mean like a desktop does not turn on by itself you probably know in order to wake a desptop up from its sleep you either have to move the mouse around or hit the on/off button

Maybe there is a ghost using your laptop during the night... :eek: I won't be to worried as long as it isn't using redtube or the like..

Maybe there is a ghost using your laptop during the night... :eek: I won't be to worried as long as it isn't using redtube or the like..

I am serious I don't know why you are taking this as a joke but like yeah maybe there is need ah call the Ghost Busters ;)

I am serious I don't know why you are taking this as a joke but like yeah maybe there is need ah call the Ghost Busters ;)

I am taking this serious, I was asleep one night their a while ago and I was dosing off to sleep and then moved about 2 feet and then fell over.. :eek:

I am taking this serious, I was asleep one night their a while ago and I was dosing off to sleep and then moved about 2 feet and then fell over.. :eek:

De Ja Vu :o
    Yeah that is natural that happens to me all the time you gotta live with it
    I know you think i am fooling around but i am actually serious
    And ill tell you why you moved 2 feet its because when you are asleep your body moves around well thats what mine does anyways

De Ja Vu :o
    Yeah that is natural that happens to me all the time you gotta live with it
    I know you think i am fooling around but i am actually serious
    And ill tell you why you moved 2 feet its because when you are asleep your body moves around well thats what mine does anyways

Oh wait, I mean a chair moved 2 feet and fell over not me. :D

Oh wait, I mean a chair moved 2 feet and fell over not me. :D

I swear to God yeah
    I have this similar situation but instead of the chair falling down i hear chairs moving downstairs in the kitchen i do not know if its the noise of the neighbours(I highly doubt it as i live in a 2 story house)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

When hubby and I moved into present house, I used to get a strange feeling in the kitchen, just beside the window. When I was cooking I used to feel like someone was beside me or watching me, I would get goose bumps on my neck. Got a friend of the family who was a priest to come and bless the house, I told him about the strange feeling I got, he had a crystal something on the end of a string and he was able to identify the spot exactly where I had these feelings without me telling him, the crystal thing started swinging from side to side. He said some prayers, used holy water and it stopped. I never had the sensation again after that, although it was not sinister feeling just a bit unnerving when in the house on my own.

When on honeymoon in the beautiful hills of Tuscany, we stayed in a converted country farmhouse from the 1800's. On the 3rd night, I woke up with the sensation of someone standing over me, pushing a hand on my chest, I got the fright of my life. For the next few nights, we slept with the lights on, to be honest I barely slept and I would not stay in the room on my own even during the day, it just freaked me out. I was so happy when we left a few days later to another location.

cassid wrote: »
    When hubby and I moved into present house, I used to get a strange feeling in the kitchen, just beside the window. When I was cooking I used to feel like someone was beside me or watching me, I would get goose bumps on my neck. Got a friend of the family who was a priest to come and bless the house, I told him about the strange feeling I got, he had a crystal something on the end of a string and he was able to identify the spot exactly where I had these feelings without me telling him, the crystal thing started swinging from side to side. He said some prayers, used holy water and it stopped. I never had the sensation again after that, although it was not sinister feeling just a bit unnerving when in the house on my own.

When on honeymoon in the beautiful hills of Tuscany, we stayed in a converted country farmhouse from the 1800's. On the 3rd night, I woke up with the sensation of someone standing over me, pushing a hand on my chest, I got the fright of my life. For the next few nights, we slept with the lights on, to be honest I barely slept and I would not stay in the room on my own even during the day, it just freaked me out. I was so happy when we left a few days later to another location.

Lol that would make me sleep sound and asleep
    But the thing i do not get yeah is when you see this situation like you had and much worser in movies those people who are affected by it incline to stay in the house i mean what idiots for example ever watches paranormal activity 4 those people stay in the house Now if i was in your case lol the day i felt the thing forget about calling the priest i would had made the run out the back window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

On the 3rd night, I woke up with the sensation of someone standing over me, pushing a hand on my chest, I got the fright of my life. For the next few nights, we slept with the lights on, to be honest I barely slept and I would not stay in the room on my own even during the day, it just freaked me out. I was so happy when we left a few days later to another location.
    Most likely sleep paralysis. The sensation you described, of feeling like someone is pushing down extremely hard on your chest to stop you breathing, is one of the most common experiences. Very scary when it happens but nothing supernatural to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

I had sleep paralysis for the first time 6 months ago. It was horrendous! I felt like I was in a light sleep in the middle of the night, aware but not fully awake, and I became aware that there was something on the bed, a heavy warm weight near my feet that shifted from time to time. My rational brain kinda went "oh, it's just the dog" and I tried to get back to sleep properly, but was becoming horribly conscious that I wasn't in the family home and there was no dog in my house! However, I drifted into a deeper sleep rather than waking. I then came back into the lighter stage of sleep with a jump and a feeling of absolute terror, but couldn't move. I was sleeping on my stomach and it felt like there was a man kneeling on the back of my legs, with one hand in the middle of my back and the other on the side of my face, forcing me down. It wasn't like any dream I've ever had-I was aware, I could feel and sense everything rather than just imagining it, but my body just wouldn't move. I felt myself drifting into a deeper sleep again but was trying to fight it as the weight of the man on my back was making breathing incredibly difficult and I felt sure that if I let myself pass out I'd suffocate! It felt like I was struggling against him for hours but then suddenly I was awake in daylight with no sense of intervening time having passed.

I kinda knew what it was while it was happening, but that knowledge seemed detached from what I was feeling and wasn't particularly comforting. The sense of terror was like a physical presence in the room. Shudder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭positron

Not dismissing your experience, but this can be explained really easy, since everything happened inside your own imagination. You assumed there's something there that's watching you, and you got the priest in and somehow / unknowingly you guided him to that spot (which happens a lot, you just don't remember that part - look up James Randy video of debunking mediums etc) , and then the priest did the oldest trick in the book - which is very effective to you - to your mind - to convince you that all is well now - and so it turned out to be! :)

My scariest experience was sleep paralysis too.

It happened about 6 months ago - I remember waking up or not waking up - not sure if I was dreaming there for a while - I was waking up early morning, lying in the bed just inches away from the other half, and I have this strange sensation of air bubbles rising from the back of my head to the front - as if I fell into a big bottle of Coke I suppose - it's that sensation, sound and feeling, except that it's happening inside your brain, and your brain is falling thru Coke / Pepsi. And then I realised I can't breath. Something is wrong. This is not right. I need to wake up wifey. She's right there, but I can't open my mouth. I can't move my arms. I can't exhale even. I was able to roll my eyes and look around the room but I can not move, I can not roll over, I can not get up, I can not turn my head, and then it comes back to me - I can not breath - I need air - I need to open my mouth - but I can't.... and the fizzy feeling goes thru the brain again..

It's hard to tell how long it lasted - probably a few seconds, may be 15 - it eventually disappeared and all was back to normal and I remember shaking as if I had seen a ghost for next 30 mins of so. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

This great thread brings to mind an incident that happened to me and my friend waaay back when we were 14 or 15 years old, in the 80’s
    I grew up at a crossroads, so small, not even a village really, with a couple of houses dotted around each road, a few miles from a midlands town.

Most summer evenings with not much to do my friend and I used to go for a cycle ‘around the roads’ as we called it…we started at the crossroads and take one road off it and do a circle and come home back down another road, usually it was the same route and it would take us over two railway bridges.
    On the second bridge we would always stop awhile for a chat or wait to wave at the passing train if it was around that time.

Anyway this particular summer’s evening we had stopped as usual and were chatting when some man came up over the bridge on a bike, unusually we didn’t know him, but really didn’t think anything of it as there were a lot of farms in the area and we presumed he might have been doing some casual labour on one of them. We didn’t speak to him or he to us.

Anyhow, about 10 mins later we were about to go when I walked over to the other side of the bridge and glanced down onto the railway tracks below when here was yer man who had passed us minutes before climbing up the side of the bridge up to where we were – I ran to my bike calling to my friend to follow, which she did even though she had no clue what was going on, and we sped off down the bridge to a safe distance before stopping and turning around to see this man on the bridge jumping up and down and shaking his fists at us in rage.

No idea what was going on really, or why, it may have been all very innocent – but to this day I have never forgotten the fear of seeing him climbing up the side of the bridge and the memory of it is as clear today as back then .
    (still creeps me out).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

last night as i was heading to bed i suddenly got a strong feeling that my late grandfather was around me. i was standing outside the hall door having a smoke when i looked up and saw him on the landing for a split second, as i was going up i saw a small light move from the moddle of the wall and go down and vanish into the carpet.
    i was stone cold awake and not the slightest bit afraid ad he meant a lot to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

last night as i was heading to bed i suddenly got a strong feeling that my late grandfather was around me. i was standing outside the hall door having a smoke when i looked up and saw him on the landing for a split second, as i was going up i saw a small light move from the moddle of the wall and go down and vanish into the carpet.
    i was stone cold awake and not the slightest bit afraid ad he meant a lot to me.
    That must be a lovely feeling, that someone you loved is watching over you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Roisy7 wrote: »
    Sounds like maybe sleep paralysis or a waking dream. Thankfully I've never experienced it, but it's supposed to be absolutely terrifying!
    I had it once when I was a kid. Had been reading a Michael Scott book and the fscking scare crow bastard from it was coming down the hall for me, I was trapped in the bed not able to move or call out, woke up terrified. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

HeirToWoe wrote: »
    Long time lurker, first time poster. Fantastic thread.

My granddad used to work as a porter and cellar hand for a few bars in South Dublin, particularly Crumlin in his early years, this would be the 1940's .

He was making the rounds one morning, around 5am he said, when he passed a tall man in a black trench coat and top hat down the lane were the tradesmen;s entrance was. He thought nothing of it as many a man would be stumbling home at this late hour after a lock in in that particular pub, he wished him good morning but apparently the gentleman made no remark.

So he paid no heed and he knocked on the back door but there was no reply. Strange considering the man he had passed had surely just exited through that door. He knocked again and said what came were three unnaturally loud knocks that made him jump back.

He knocked again but there was no reply. He yelled who it was, and to open up but there was still no reply so he went on his merry way and made note for the boss that the delivery could not be made and went on to complete his other deliveries.

The following afternoon he was told that there was a body found in the bar, the night porter had a heart attack and had died the night before. My granddad had terrible dreams about the gentleman in the lane afterwards, he said he dreamed of his long nails but couldn't for the life of him picture the gentleman's face. Swore it was death incarnate until his dying day!

Great thread. I'm a bit cynical about this though... so..

Sorry but did your granddad report a figure leaving the premises where a man was found dead? It doesn't take much brains to put on a coat and a hat for a disguise and you're not going to want to stop and chat, you're going to want to leave the scene with the least bit of notice.
    If he didn't imagine the loud knocks then I imagine they were the dying man hammering on the door opposite shortly before he passed. He could have been drugged/poisoned just before by the assailant.
    I don't see anything supernatural here, just potential murder and the murderer hopping passed your granddad and into the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Remembered another...

My brother was living in Brisbane a few years ago and has three little girls. They were around 4, 7 and 8 at the time and told my brother that there was a little boy in the house that they sometimes played games with. I can't remember the name they called the boy(I'll call him Patrick), but my brother thought it was just an imaginary friend.

That was until one day they were all watching a TV show and the programme showed children from the early 1900s. My nieces all said that the children on the tv show were wearing clothes just like Patrick wore.

Freaked my brother out no end...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Myself and the brother both experience sleep paralysis, for me it occurs around every 6 months or so.

Nothing too scary with me, I 'wake' and cannot move other than move my eyes, at this stage I know when it happens and I know I'm asleep. The only way I can get out is to try to shake myself out of it if that makes any sense!

The brothers experiences are weirder, there is always a girl in the room floating, she wears a long white gown. She then moves over him suddenly and hovers directly in from of him staring into his eyes. Finally she disappears into his chest at which point he awakes with a jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Some of these stories are pretty scary. Read at your own risk!

I hate you !

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gemma188

Not exactly creepy but I've lost count of the amount of times its happened to me that I'd randomly think of a scene/episode of the Simpsons or Friends etc and when I'd turn on the TV later that evening the exact episode would be on! Always freaks me out a little!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Saw this in CVPL. Even though it's probably fake it's still kinda creepy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Tisserand wrote: »
    My parents are both dead but their house (in which they both died), our old family home is vacant and the family use it from time to time for weekends away or holidays. This weekend just gone, my sister and I decided to spend Saturday and Sunday there for old times sake as we were both going to other relatives' houses for Christmas. We arrived there on Saturday and lit two stoves to heat up the place. About 5.00 p.m. on Saturday two of our nieces had joined us and a smoke alarm up on the landing started to go off. We checked all of the rooms etc. but found no smoke,fires, draughts etc. We took the smoke alarm outside and left it outside on a bench but 15 minutes later it was still going off so we took out the battery, decided the whole thing was faulty and put it and the battery in the bin outside. We recalled that a similar thing had happened one Sunday a few months earlier during the summer when we hadn't lit the fires and we had to do the same. We had another brand new smoke alarm and new battery in a box so we opened them both and put it up on the landing to replace the old one. Anyway, we went to bed that night and were in separate rooms and I dreamt that I turned around in my bed and that my mother was lying beside me and that I ran into my sister's room and my mother followed me and we were asking her what it was like being dead but she wasn't answering and that my other sisters and brother joined us. I woke up petrified and couldn't go back to sleep. The next night I decided to sleep in another room however, we were both woken up at 6.20 a.m. by the new smoke alarm going off. We checked all around the house again, but no fire, smoke or draughts or anything that might set it off. It was going bananas so we had to take the battery out. We were both scared and convinced that my mother's spirit was in the house. I had intended staying in the house on my own the following night but needless to say I didn't.

Excuse the off-topic posts but if that alarm was also a carbon-monoxide alarm that isn't something you want to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Some of these stories are pretty scary. Read at your own risk!

Well...awake at 5.40 a.m. one day overdue with my first child wondering when this baby is gonna make an appearance...I think that may have just done it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

This might seem tame compared to a lot of these, but I've never really told many people about it in detail. I also find it kind of funny looking back, and it's very explainable, but I remember the sheer fear/confusion I felt at the time as being one of the strongest things I've ever felt.

A bit of background - about 10 years ago (aged 16) I had a seizure due to being sick at home. Ambulance, 5 days in hospital, every test under the sun and fears of epilepsy but given the all-clear at the end, with the proviso that if it ever happens again I would be on medication for life. It's something that genuinely scares me.

Anyway, I was away for a few months a couple of years ago. Was seeing this girl and one night we were back in my place and were asleep. I woke up having a seizure, and have a vivid memory of grabbing her breast and saying "it's ok, just hold me, it'll pass." I remember being terrified, but trying not to panic her. She was panicked but calmed down a bit. It did pass and I started to tell her that I was ok, only for her to wake up and ask what the hell I was talking about. The seizure thing never happened. It had been the single most vivid dream I ever had. I remember my thought processes clearly, I remember being worried about being on medication and knowing the implications of it (driving etc.), I remember her being scared and trying to calm her down.

It's hard to explain the pure terror I was feeling, and then the confusion after when I realised it hadn't happened - when I was 100% sure it had!

Anyway, how I can laugh it off: I was working as a barman in a ski resort and was drinking almost every night, along with working hard, snowboarding a lot and generally burning the candle at both ends. I put it down to my mind going a bit mad from the hectic lifestyle. (I hadn't drank a lot that particular night as we had left early knowing my housemate wasn't going to be home til late.)

It stays with me as the strangest thing I have ever experienced. I've had my fair share of weird dreams, scary stuff, dodgy situations and the rest, but this was just freaky. Without having done any reading into either phenomenon, I think it's something similar to lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis maybe. Whatever it was, I don't think I'll ever forget it!

Like I said, nothing remarkable in comparison to most stories here, but I find it fascinating how the mind works at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Freakiest thing that has ever happened me in recent memory is about 4 years ago I was falling asleep in bed and got to that stage of half in half out when I realised I couldn't move any part of my body.

It was like all my limbs where weighed down and there was nothing I could do about it. It was the most frightening thing that has ever happened to me and has happened twice more since then. Once about a year after and once about a year ago.

I don't know if it was a dream where I was conscious of what was happening or what but let me tell you it was not nice. Terrifying.

Edit: Just read the post above me and noticed you mentioned sleep paralysis. Looked it up on wiki and that's probably what it was happening to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Firstly, this happened to my mother not me
    When my mother was a child roughly 8 or 9, her and her two cousins(similar ages) were playing in a countryside lane near a barn
    Suddenly a massive light "went up" on the barn,they paused briefly and continued playing
    15 seconds later, out of no where a bearded man in a brown robe with two other men in robes were appeared about 70yards in front of them
    My mother and "one" of her cousins started screaming frantically,they turned in the opposite direction and started belting it
    Upon running a short distance of 10yards,they met a gate. As mum climbed the gate and turned around
    The man in the brown rob was a yard from her face,he said "pray my child"
    Mum and "one" of her cousins ran in to the house roaring and crying, they explained what happened
    Her parents were worried asking where her other cousin was and left to look for her immediatey, as they left the house she came in to street humming and skipping asking why did they run away screaming like that??
    It's impossible that she couldn't have seen "them",reason being they were all beside one another and they had to pass her to get to mum and her cousin at the gate. Mum say's they decided not to appear to her and that's why
    Her and her boy cousin were freaked for ages after that, totally unrelated but they moved from that house a month later much to mums delight. She said looking back she's disappointed with her parents for not taking her to a priest at the time.
    She remembers telling them too. My mums not one for stories which makes this all the more harrowingly scary

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

seklly wrote: »
    Myself and the brother both experience sleep paralysis, for me it occurs around every 6 months or so.

Nothing too scary with me, I 'wake' and cannot move other than move my eyes, at this stage I know when it happens and I know I'm asleep. The only way I can get out is to try to shake myself out of it if that makes any sense!

The brothers experiences are weirder, there is always a girl in the room floating, she wears a long white gown. She then moves over him suddenly and hovers directly in from of him staring into his eyes. Finally she disappears into his chest at which point he awakes with a jump.

Being visited by 'The Hag' used to be an old name for sleep paralysis in the States, it sounds like your brother's experience's.

I've a thing where I become aware that I'm dreaming while I still in the dream. I begin to struggle to move and have to fight to wake up fully and breath normally, my eyes remain closed during it though. It can become scary at times because I've trouble getting air in, it feels like my mouth is sewn shut and my nasal passages are blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

gemma188 wrote: »
    Not exactly creepy but I've lost count of the amount of times its happened to me that I'd randomly think of a scene/episode of the Simpsons or Friends etc and when I'd turn on the TV later that evening the exact episode would be on! Always freaks me out a little!

THat says more about the extent of the repeat showing of Simpsons/Friends that anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

both my wife and myself spent chrismas day at my sons with his 7 month year old baby,as i am a sensitive [every so often i see ghosts] he asked me to check the babies bedroom to see if there was a ghost visitation,because every so often a shadow would slide across his monitor,his home [a stone cottage] was built in 1855,and the last person who lived there[ all her life] died in her late 90s,as i walked into the babies bedroom i felt a feeling of happyness,so all i could tell him is that he has nothing to worry about,his ghost is pleased that a baby is living in the house, no problem for me,but i can understand why it would be unnerving for him

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Five years ago i was living with my friend in a house in irish city i wont name, About a week before christmas i came home from work and went to head up the stairs to drop off my laptop and other stuff in my room. As i glanced up the stairs i could see him hanging from the attic hatch on the ceiling. It felt like hours but was only seconds i stood there looking at him in compleat shock and horror!

I ran back down the few steps i had taken to the kitchen grabed a kitchen knife, went back up and cut him down which was not easy due to the thickness of the rope and panic. I eventually got him down he was not breathing no pulse. i called 999 then as i kneled over him and tried cpr but i didnt know how to right just kept trying. about 15mins later ambulance and garda got to the house. Its a bit of blur after that i guess the shock took over just remember sitting in the kitchen with a gard asking me questions.

He didnt survive, no idea why he did it. seemed to have everything he wanted from life and was a good person.

I still think if i had called the ambulance before i tried to cut him down and try cpr would it have made a diffrence? That day will allways be burnt into my mind and will never forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

gemma188 wrote: »

That happened to me last year! I was thinking about the chowder and large rice crispi episode on the bus home and when I got home and turned on the tv this scene just begun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

imurdaddy wrote: »
    I still think if i had called the ambulance before i tried to cut him down and try cpr would it have made a diffrence? That day will allways be burnt into my mind and will never forget.

He probably died instantly. Sorry to hear that you had to go through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

imurdaddy wrote: »
    Five years ago i was living with my friend in a house in irish city i wont name, About a week before christmas i came home from work and went to head up the stairs to drop off my laptop and other stuff in my room. As i glanced up the stairs i could see him hanging from the attic hatch on the ceiling. It felt like hours but was only seconds i stood there looking at him in compleat shock and horror!

I ran back down the few steps i had taken to the kitchen grabed a kitchen knife, went back up and cut him down which was not easy due to the thickness of the rope and panic. I eventually got him down he was not breathing no pulse. i called 999 then as i kneled over him and tried cpr but i didnt know how to right just kept trying. about 15mins later ambulance and garda got to the house. Its a bit of blur after that i guess the shock took over just remember sitting in the kitchen with a gard asking me questions.

He didnt survive, no idea why he did it. seemed to have everything he wanted from life and was a good person.

Thats a real hard thing to deal with very tragic.

My dad died suddenly a number of years ago. The grief was terrible in fact i was in denial and told everyone it was lies that he was dead I could not cope that i did not get to say goodbye, anyway one night i had dream....all he did was turn towards me a gave a very happy smile, I asked him was he coming back, no answer but smiled again and turned and walked away. For some reason, i do think this was the goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Thespoofer wrote: »
    I had an elderly grand Aunt whom moved to the UK long before I was born many decades ago eventually end up in a nursing home there in her old age with an illness. I only met her the once when she came here to visit her childhood home so it would be fair to say that we were not very close, nice and all as she was.

Anyway as night follows day I received a phone call from my mother to say that such and such ( grand aunt ) had died yesterday at the home and to be honest, didn't really bother me. She then went on to say that the aunts son told her that the staff at the nursing home were fairly shook, "how do you mean"? I asked, " well, they were lifting her from the chair into her bed and it was at this moment she died and also at this time the picture of the saint on the wall flew off the wall "... all of the English staff were adamant that no-one was next or near to the picture..

A few months later while speaking about the same event with another elderly member about this, which I to be honest thought was a load of bollox, was told "oh yes thats right, its not the first time that has happened in our family, when such and such died ( here in Ireland ) a few years back, the mirror on the wall fell off at the moment of death"....

My mother and grandmother have more than once said they experienced specific paintings falling from the wall just before the death of a family member.

I witnessed this happening a couple of times hen I was younger. Whether coincidence or otherwise I don't really know.

I am now reluctant to hang pictures etc tbh....:-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

gozunda wrote: »
    My mother and grandmother have more than once said they experienced specific paintings falling from the wall just before the death of a family member.

I witnessed this happening a couple of times hen I was younger. Whether coincidence or otherwise I don't really know.

I am now reluctant to hang pictures etc tbh....:-/

This has often happened in our family also , just before a death.

Happened last year, a stone Welcome plaque my Mam had , fell and broke, around the same time as my Mam died.

The cord it was hanging from was still intact..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭LucyLouLou

Last year we were having my son baptised on my mothers fifth anniversary. The night before I put him and his sister to bed and went downstairs. A little while later I thought I heard him crying so I went up to see but he was sound asleep. I was going back downstairs when I noticed the tv was on in my older daughters bedroom, she was at a sleepover at a friends, so I went in to turn it off. When I went in tg4 was on and it was Daniel O Donnell talking, my mother was a big fan so feeling a bit sentimental I sat down on the bed to watch. He was talking for a few minutes and then they showed him in concert, the camera was scanning the audience and then stopped , on the screen were my mother and father (who had died a few months after my mother) staring back at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭positron

Just remembered this one - hadn't thought of this in decades, but true story and personal experience.

My paternal grandma died aged 86, I was 12 or 13 then, and this is a rural village in India; imagine huge traditional house surrounded by hundreds of acres of paddy fields etc - beautiful beautiful place. She was the head of the family and was completely responsible for running the farms and at least six families of workers depended on her farm land for work.

She had developed jaundice, and the doctors decided she was beyond treatment and my uncles took her back to the house where she lived (and led the household) for over 70 years. The news had gone out and dozens of relatives had gathered in the house. She was lying on this straw mattress (over a layer of plantain leaves, all tradition) and she was just lying there literally taking her last few breaths - it was erratic to say the least, and 5-10 second gaps between a few breaths. Everyone had accepted the inevitable at this stage, and knew it was going to happen in next few hours. I was just outside the front door, looking in. All of a sudden, her the two dogs outside the house starts barking and howling in a very unusual way. Few of us try to calm them down and they are having none of it. It's as if the dogs were afraid of something is trying to break away from their leash/chain. One of the dogs did eventually break the chain leash, and ran straight into the house to where my grandma was lying. She did not breath after the dog ran into the house.

I don't know what dogs sensed there, but they sensed something unusual and reacted to it. I am sure there's a very clear rational explanation to this, but I just don't know it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Well....

That happened me too last night but first about half two I had just turned off the Skybox and then turned off the Saorview box so the TV was just white fuzzy screen.
    Then I noticed the Saorview box came back on, I thought it was odd but I only bought it yesterday anyway.

I put the laptop on Sleep and went to the sink and then I heard the computer make a noise and noticed the Log In had appeared. And I wasn't at it since I had put it on Sleep.

Then a few minutes later in bed I heard the water pipes rattling bat**** crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

This what happened to me i was sitting upstairs on the bed feeding the baby.I had a clear view out on the landing.My son comes out of the bathroom and in to his bedroom which is straight across.Now im still looking out and up the stairs the same son comes.He didnt have time to go down and go back up,it was literally seconds.Thats always freaked me out.And it wasnt anybody else either my son was big at this stage and nobody resembles him here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭goingpostal1

A woman tried to strongarm me into marrying her once. That was both creepy AND unnerving.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭LoopyLolly88

Only creepy things to happen to me are seeing things that arent really there, like the sleep paralysis others have been on about but i can move & talk so not sure what it is tbh.

First time it happened i woke up to a man walking into my room & picking up a chair & throwing it at me,i **** myself sat up & turned on the light but nothing there my heart thumping. Next time i woke up & my oh was laying on my legs i called him & ask him whats he at,i felt him move so called him again & poked him getting annoyed i lay back down then felt him move look back & hes gone again i **** myself. The last few times it happened i waking up seeing like spiders or random shapes or a half rat half bird thing lol once it disappears i get a fright,my oh gets freaked out cos of it lol

Also last month the family cat aged 12 died on the 4th anniversary of my dads death, thought it was odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Last week my manager asked me to pick her up at ome after we'd locked up as she had to come back to the shop to do some stuff. so we close up at 2 clear out all the drunks and i manage to leave to pick her up. I've dropped her home before but didnt know which house along the row was hers as i usually drop her off and leave before she gets to her gate. I ring her but the phone is off. I decide i'll knock on tye house directly in front of me i see a woman early twenties, not my manager but i assumed it was the managers son's gf as manager had mentioned thatthey were visiting. i stare in the window then go up to the door but no answer, i walk out the and realise that the next house is my managers, we walk out of the house to go to the car and see the house i'd knocked on in darkness. It was then that i replayed the scene in my head from the girls point of view.

It's half two in the morning in the dead of winter.
    you look out the window and see a figure dressed in a black leather jacket. you can't make out his face because his hood is up and its dark. he stares in at you before walking to your door and knocking. surprised i didnt hear screams from inside.

i'm sorry miss, i wasn't going to rape/murder you. i was just trying to find my bosses house!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jingler

I was sitting at the kitchen table with 2 family members. I was sitting at the head of the table with a person to the left and right of me and I was facing the stove and sink area. Anyway, we were discussing supernatural happenings that we had either experienced personally or been told about from our previous house. Natter, natter, natter.....then suddenly, a glass flew off the draining board and smashed in the middle of the floor. I saw it and one other girl saw it too. There was no logical explanation for it- nothing else on the draining board. Our hearts were in our mouths- we thought about the subject we had been discussing and whether was there a connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Not me, but i always remember when my friends went to Amsterdam when they would have been about 17. They stayed in a shared youth hostel in bunk beds. My friend woke up in the middle of the night to find a strange guy standing at the end of his bed staring at him and constantly spitting on the ground..He was terrified but the guy went away. Eventually my friend got off to sleep but woke up early the next day and there was pools of spit at the end of his bed...

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Can't really account for creepy but who hasn't felt unnerved? Anxious, or more than just a passing moment of intense insecurity

never will I laugh at a person in genuine distress again, within themselves regardless of the true severity. not a nice feeling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

When my mother was a child roughly 8 or 9, her and her two cousins(similar ages) were playing in a countryside lane near a barn
    Suddenly a massive light "went up" on the barn,they paused briefly and continued playing
    15 seconds later, out of no where a bearded man in a brown robe with two other men in robes were appeared about 70yards in front of them
    My mother and "one" of her cousins started screaming frantically,they turned in the opposite direction and started belting it
    Upon running a short distance of 10yards,they met a gate. As mum climbed the gate and turned around
    Mum and "one" of her cousins ran in to the house roaring and crying, they explained what happened
    Her parents were worried asking where her other cousin was and left to look for her immediatey, as they left the house she came in to street humming and skipping asking why did they run away screaming like that??
    It's impossible that she couldn't have seen "them",reason being they were all beside one another and they had to pass her to get to mum and her cousin at the gate. Mum say's they decided not to appear to her and that's why
    Her and her boy cousin were freaked for ages after that, totally unrelated but they moved from that house a month later much to mums delight. She said looking back she's disappointed with her parents for not taking her to a priest at the time.
    She remembers telling them too. My mums not one for stories which makes this all the more harrowingly scary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Weathering wrote: »
    Weathering wrote: »

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Quazzie wrote: »
    :confused:
    Déjà vu...slightly creepy and unnerving.....

Advertisement