Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I dont know if anyone on here has ever suffered from sleep parallysis, but i used to quiet a bit not so much anymore thank god because its one of the most terrifying things that can happen to you i think, for those who dont know about it its basically happens when you begin to fall asleep, your body is asleep but your brain is wide awake, its freaky **** let me tell ya, anyway during one of these episodes and this sounds nuts but i left my body, by force something was trying to pull me out of my bedroom, i was on the ceiling looking down on myself in bed, i was being pulled by some kind of force, i was desperatly trying to grab onto the lightshade and the wardrobe anything really,next thing i know i have come out of my sp and am in bed. Ill say one thing it scarred the bejaysus out of me, i went downstairs for the rest of the night and was terrified to go back to sleep again.
    i dont know to this day if it was real or some kind of dream all i remember was that at the time it felt 110% real

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Was driving home from work around 3am about two weeks ago,Road was quite enough,would pass another car every 5 minutes or so.
    About 30 minutes into the journey a bright light just went over the car,Happened so quick but the object was either very large or very close.
    Could have been a helicopter with a searchlight on but really doubt that or might have been a drone but given the brightness of the light it seems unlikely.
    The light was bright white like industrial floodlights and on a rural section of road with only a few houses in the area.
    It was not a figment of my imagination as i was not tired,Sure there is a logical explanation for it but it was unnerving at the time and i sped off at fair speed,Looked out back window and saw nothing.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I dont know if anyone on here has ever suffered from sleep parallysis, but i used to quiet a bit not so much anymore thank god because its one of the most terrifying things that can happen to you i think, for those who dont know about it its basically happens when you begin to fall asleep, your body is asleep but your brain is wide awake, its freaky **** let me tell ya, anyway during one of these episodes and this sounds nuts but i left my body, by force something was trying to pull me out of my bedroom, i was on the ceiling looking down on myself in bed, i was being pulled by some kind of force, i was desperatly trying to grab onto the lightshade and the wardrobe anything really,next thing i know i have come out of my sp and am in bed. Ill say one thing it scarred the bejaysus out of me, i went downstairs for the rest of the night and was terrified to go back to sleep again.
    i dont know to this day if it was real or some kind of dream all i remember was that at the time it felt 110% real

I had a very similar experience years ago. I was staying overnight at my parents house . I'd drifted off to sleep, the next thing I remember was the the feeling of being pulled violently out of the bed. I felt like I was face up at the ceiling, spinning really quickly. I had the sensation of slamming back into the bed, and then it happened twice again in quick succession. I was absolutely terrified, have never forgotten it, and it has never happened since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I read up to page 20 of this thread last night. Didn't help that the wind was howling and I kept glancing out the window thinking someone would be standing there to scare the shoite out of me.

Amazing thread...keep the stories coming, gonna read some more tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 nidgeweaseal

Any chance of a score until pay day?

I meant loner, in any case bugger off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

73Cat wrote: »
    I had a very similar experience years ago. I was staying overnight at my parents house . I'd drifted off to sleep, the next thing I remember was the the feeling of being pulled violently out of the bed. I felt like I was face up at the ceiling, spinning really quickly. I had the sensation of slamming back into the bed, and then it happened twice again in quick succession. I was absolutely terrified, have never forgotten it, and it has never happened since.

Its mad stuff tbh, its hard to know is it real or just a dream, ive never been dragged around the room since that night either but it still happens to me now and then but i can handle it much better now, its still pretty scarey though, a few times id be lying next to herself who would be asleep next thing the old sp would kick in, id be trying like anything to get her attention for her to wake me or get me out of it but you cant bloody move a muscle, you cant even shout out because nothing comes out your mouth, it really is the weirdest thing ever:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Its mad stuff tbh, its hard to know is it real or just a dream, ive never been dragged around the room since that night either but it still happens to me now and then but i can handle it much better now, its still pretty scarey though, a few times id be lying next to herself who would be asleep next thing the old sp would kick in, id be trying like anything to get her attention for her to wake me or get me out of it but you cant bloody move a muscle, you cant even shout out because nothing comes out your mouth, it really is the weirdest thing ever:D

I remember lying in bed once, completely paralysed and trying my damndest to even move my tongue. Completely impossible. Then i started floating feet first toward the bedroom door over the end of the bed. I knew there was something in the hall, did not know what it was. Door started to open as i move towards it. Then i snap out and am sweating like a train in bed. It really really is the weirdest thing ever. Only happened the once and was on a Bank Holiday monday night after a mental weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I used to suffer from sleep paralysis a lot as a child. I remember I used the lie there often for ten or fifteen minutes unable to speak or move. Absolutely terrifying to anyone who has had the misfortune of experiencing it.

Usually I didn't suffer from hallucinations with it but once when I was only ten I imagined this really ugly old woman standing at my door. The light from the kitchen was shining through and I could see her clearly. She was slightly transplant, dressed all in white and nearly bent double. I can't explain it but the aura she gave off was terrifying like pure evil or malice, I tried to scream or run or fight back somehow but I wasn't able to move. She slowly walked to the end of the bed, keeping eye contact the whole time. By this stage I was terrified, nearly insane with fear. It wasn't anything she did that frightened me, just the aura of pure malice she gave off I could tell she hated me and wanted me dead.

I know she was only a figment of my imagination but the thought of her frightens me to this day. The power of the human mind is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭baby_pebble

There is a section of road with a slight bend and trees on either side of the road 10mins from where I live that is well known to be haunted and many people have died in crashes and freak accidents there over the years. One night on the way home with an ex i was half asleep in the passenger seat when I noticed him slowing down, I didn't know where exactly we were but a car came flying past us easily doing 70mph he then came to a complete halt as there was an old man on the other side of the road just staring at the car, my ex freaked and put his foot down and took off not knowing if it was human or ghost!
    We were pretty convinced ghost as the car had just passed that side of the road at a very high speed passing us when we were slowing down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

There is a section of road with a slight bend and trees on either side of the road 10mins from where I live that is well known to be haunted and many people have died in crashes and freak accidents there over the years. One night on the way home with an ex i was half asleep in the passenger seat when I noticed him slowing down, I didn't know where exactly we were but a car came flying past us easily doing 70mph he then came to a complete halt as there was an old man on the other side of the road just staring at the car, my ex freaked and put his foot down and took off not knowing if it was human or ghost!
    We were pretty convinced ghost as the car had just passed that side of the road at a very high speed passing us when we were slowing down

did you phone ghost busters

• Advertisement

on the sleep paralysis thing. I once heard that when a person is in that state, just about to fall asleep, the mind becomes open and you're brain is at a point where you can see ghosts or have such experiences. Kinda like when you tune in an old radio and catch a cool song only to loose it by a fraction and then you can no longer find the station. Your brain becomes tunes and available to experience strange things in such a meditative state.

that's not fact, it's something I just heard on the discovery channel being explained by some famous ghost experts who were in that movie "the conjuring". well based on their experience the film was.

sorry it's early and I just had coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I used to have sleep paralysis all teh time when i was younger.If i get it now i know what it is and i just keep moving till i come out of it.The most frightening experience i had was when i was sleeping in my sons room.H e was only a baby and i knew i was awake but i kept seeing a witch coming towards me.It was horrible.Really terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Was driving home from work around 3am about two weeks ago,Road was quite enough,would pass another car every 5 minutes or so.
    About 30 minutes into the journey a bright light just went over the car,Happened so quick but the object was either very large or very close.
    Could have been a helicopter with a searchlight on but really doubt that or might have been a drone but given the brightness of the light it seems unlikely.
    The light was bright white like industrial floodlights and on a rural section of road with only a few houses in the area.
    It was not a figment of my imagination as i was not tired,Sure there is a logical explanation for it but it was unnerving at the time and i sped off at fair speed,Looked out back window and saw nothing.:confused:

There was lots of lightning about 2 weeks ago, maybe a flash went off over your car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

CB19Kevo wrote: »

I was driving to Madrid a few years back. 3 or 4 in the morning. There was a huge reddish flash right over the car, gave me a real jump. Looking out the windows and in the rearview mirror I saw nothing. I checked coming back a few days later as I thought it might have been a speed camera flash but their was none there where I'd seen the flash.

I forgot all about it but by pure chance it came up in a conversation with a fella I knew about a month later. He was talking about a lot unidentified red/white flashes seen to the north of Madrid a month before. Turns out it was the same night night I saw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

This one goes back a few years. To 1977, in fact. It happened to my mother, just after my grandfather (her father in law) died. She was in my grandparents with my baby sister (2 months old at the time), while everyone else was gone to the church or graveyard to say the rosary for my deceased grandad.

She decided to put on a bit of music on the record player. It was just a record player on its own, no radio attached or any other apparatus. So she puts on The Dubliners Greatest Hits or something like that. But instead of the sound of Luke Kelly's voice, as you might expect, the record player produced the sound of a mournful voice reciting the Hail Mary. Needless to say she took the needle off the record, grabbed my baby sister and ran into the next door neighbours until everyone else came home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Even if that guy was a total creep and you genuinely feared for your safety, turning around and randomly telling him you hope his son dies is terrible. Stop presenting this like you cursed him or something. All that happened was you said a truly reprehensible thing to a co-worker and years later his son happened to die.

I didn't tell him I hope his son dies. There were days I was in the canteen alone and this man would walk in, sit beside me for no reason, and start hassling me! I warned him he should stop as he's bringing bad luck on himself. He shouldn't go around hassling someone like that and get away with it. I warned him if something bad did happen to his family (e.g. his son got killed in an accident) and he wonders why it happened then this is the reason. It would be his own fault. He can't go around behaving like that, will only bring back luck on himself. I didn't curse him, he did that himself through his own behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

fiachr_a wrote: »
    I didn't tell him I hope his son dies. There were days I was in the canteen alone and this man would walk in, sit beside me for no reason, and start hassling me! I warned him he should stop as he's bringing bad luck on himself. He shouldn't go around hassling someone like that and get away with it. I warned him if something bad did happen to his family (e.g. his son got killed in an accident) and he wonders why it happened then this is the reason. It would be his own fault. He can't go around behaving like that, will only bring back luck on himself. I didn't curse him, he did that himself through his own behaviour.

That's a chilling post!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 nidgeweaseal

Just thought of another one. I was at the back of the IMC cinema there a few years ago you know the one next to the wool shed pub ? anyway there I was minding my own business when a guy came over and said are you Sean I said no and he said OK then, but continued to look me up and down for a good 30 seconds before he buggered off. I then decided I better be getting home as its quite late I started my long walk back to crumlin. I am halfway home and I look behind me and there is the chap me being a bit more confident than I was previously asked was he following me for a reason, he then proceeds to tell me how he was chatting to me on a site which can only be described as a place where men go to meet other men, He tells me he knows I am this Sean guy and he doesn't like being messed around. The guy grabbed my arm and started pulling me into him I pushed back as hard as I could and ran all the way or at least most of the way home. My name is not Sean by the way and I do not enjoy the company of other men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

This is not as unnerving as some of the stuff I've read here (I've got shivers now,thanks :p) but it definitely unnerved me at the time and it is pretty creepy!

I was doing some food shopping and decided to check my Facebook while I was in the queue. I had been online a few minutes when I noticed a new friend request.

It was from a girl with a name that I didn't recognise. I scrolled down the page, saw that they had 11 friends - one of whom was a girl I no longer spoke to but was still my friend on Facebook.

I scrolled back up the page and noticed that the girl had the same birthday as me. I hadn't looked properly at the profile picture so when I took a second look I was shocked to see that the picture was a years old picture of me..

The only person who could have made this fake profile was the friend I no longer wished to speak to. I remember the picture being taken. I don't know whether it was meant to unnerve me or if it was some weird attempt to get me to talk to her again or what. But it creeped me the hell out anyway. Psycho b1tch.

I told my sis about the profile and she said it was definitely me and reported it and got it banned. That is as far as I've taken it because I don't want to open another can of crazy on myself. I've had enough of her sh*t. Sorry for the long and possibly disappointing post!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

One of my sons in law was a security guard in a big old hospital in south London. These places are always scary, often ex-workhouse hospitals - grim and grey with endless corridors. The old hands knew that newcomers would be spooked already, and went out of their way to make sure that any new security guard would be frightened out of their wits by the end of their first week!

They'd be taken on a tour by a senior guard, in the dark of course, and brought into the pathology lab where the most horrible specimens were kept. The senior would turn on his torch when they got in - he'd shine it so that the first thing a new guard saw was a big glass jar with a head in it. Then there was the corridor lined with busts of famous doctors and surgeons. When the poor new chap was sent out to patrol alone, he'd have to walk this corridor with only his torch to guide him. It would be fine on the outward trip, but coming back he'd see red glowing lights all along the walk. These were lit cigarettes that his lovely colleagues had put in the mouths of the statues to frighten the wee out of him!

So plenty of fun and games to be hand there and most people soon wised up.

My son in law was out patrolling one night. He was on a main corridor, and part of the way along was a short side corridor running off at right angles, which sloped up to a ward. The sloping corridor had a hand rail all along its length. The ward had its own tea trolley with cups and saucers on it and this was left at the top of the slope. To make sure no-one moved it, it was always tied to the hand rail. As my son in law went past he checked up the slope - and saw the trolley hurtling down towards him at speed!

He ran.

Back at the control point, he explained what had happened. At this stage he thought maybe it was one of his colleagues having a laugh. His boss went back with him to the slope. They expected to see the cups and saucers all over the place and the trolley run into the wall. But it wasn't. It was up where it always had been, tied to the handrail.
    So what was that all about? If it was a hallucination, it was a pretty weird one...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

rusty cole wrote: »
    on the sleep paralysis thing. I once heard that when a person is in that state, just about to fall asleep, the mind becomes open and you're brain is at a point where you can see ghosts or have such experiences.

Also known as 'dreaming' :pac:

I get sleep paralysis regularly, too regularly for my liking but there's nothing supernatural about it.

buzzkillington.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

My grandfather had a lovely recliner chair in his living room that no one dared sit in, none of his grandchildren or children ever sat in it. When my grandfather passed away, we all went home with my grandmother after the funeral. One of my aunts was particularly upset and she sat in the chair for comfort I suppose. While sitting in the chair, she said out loud, 'oh Dad give us a sign that you are ok and with us'. Next thing we know the bulb from the wall light above his chair flew out!

At the time I was quite young and found it creepy and scary but now I think it was a lovely message from Grandad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rymfy

My most unnerving experience is the house I currently live in with my family, but that's not something I want to think about when it's already dark.

Other creepy situations for me would have to include meeting all sorts of creepy men on my own. I'm fairly baby faced and look much younger than I actually am, which makes it a whole lot creepier.
    One time I was on my way to meet a few friends, and had to walk through a small forest between housing areas. There are several paths and the main paths are lit up. I was listening to music and heard someone talking behind me. I paid no mind to it until they got closer behind me, so I had to take my earphones out. I turned around to see a man, about 35 or so, walking behind me. He said something incoherent. I asked what it was, and he said that we seem to have the same way.
    He then started walking beside me, trying to grab my arm or get my hat off my head. I dodged him and asked him not to do that, to which he said "yah, yah, sure", and kept trying anyway. He asked me where I was going and I gave him a street name I made up. He didn't know where it was but he'd find it with me. He wouldn't stop talking and I figured acting civil was the safest thing to do.
    Him: "I could teach you a lot."
    Me: "I'm going to study physics with friends so you can teach me that."
    Him: "I can teach you a lot about men."
    Me: "I think I'm a bit too young for you."
    Him: "Nobody's too young for me. How old are you?"
    Me: "16"
    Him: "Yeah, I've had younger. I can teach you a lot."
    I then resorted to yes/no replies. Couldn't run away because the path was icy. Then I heard talking and soon two middle-aged women showed up on the path. I tried to look miserable but didn't want to directly ask them for help in case it'd make the man mad. He went up to them to ask for directions to the made up street, and I tried to slip away while he was at it. Almost got to the stairs leading up and away from the path when he ran up to me and grabbed my arm.
    He said he wasn't going that way and neither should I. I said that my friends were there. I guess he thought that my friends were nearby, while in fact they were still a few streets away. He, still holding my arm, made it clear how much he wanted me to join him. He then tried to kiss me, and I dodged. He let go of me and went on his way, and I hurried up the stairs and onto the road. Luckily never saw him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Rymfy wrote: »
    soon two middle-aged women showed up on the path. I tried to look miserable but didn't want to directly ask them for help in case it'd make the man mad.

I have said this on another thread but not having a go at all because I was in similar situations as a teen and acted the exact same, but we really should be teaching teenagers that it's ok to make a fuss if they are scared and uncomfortable. The reason these creepazoids target the girls they do is because they get good at sussing people who will tell them **** off or will approach another person or call the guards or not. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm blaming victims because I'm not, no grown man should assault a 16 year old like that, but we need to tell girls to stop being so nice and polite and tell weirdos to **** off if needs be.

/off-topic :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Only a few nights ago, I was finishing off an essay at about 11.30pm and I was frazzled when I'd finally finished. My mind started wandering, and instead of heading to bed like I should have, I decided to look up the Wiccan religion for whatever strange reason. Came across a site on actual Wiccan spells, and flicked through one or two innocent looking enough, thinking they were kind of ridiculous, much like the fiction crap I used to read as a 10 year old. Fast forward to the day after, and I'm telling my roommate about the spells I'd found, and showed her how ridiculous I thought they were. She spotted one on exorcisms and wanted to click into it; it turned out to be a Latin prayer taken right from the Bible. We went about Google Translating it, to see if our knowledge of Latin was any way sound (it wasn't too bad!) and in the process we said a couple of non-consecutive lines out loud. Mid-speech, we suddenly hear this massive BANG on the door and the letterbox flapping. Startled us no end, but we laughed when we figured it must be our other housemate's sister, who we previously knew was due to pop over that evening with some clothes for our housemate. I go to answer the door for her...but there was nobody there. Nothing came in the letterbox, it wasn't any kids messing because we'd have heard footsteps running away, so you can imagine we were kind of freaked out.
    About 20 minutes later, the two of us were in the kitchen, just having tea. All of a sudden I start to get a strange, faint smell that seems familiar - to my horror, I realised it was the same stench of rotting bodies that I knew all too well from studying cadavers in college. It wasn't my imagination, my roommate could smell it too, and we started searching the cupboards for any dead mice that might have been hiding. Nada. This smell came intermittently for about an hour, then went away completely.

It might have been a hell of a coincidence, but it creeped us out no end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

A similar experience to the above poster. Many years ago wen I was much younger, I was staying with a cousin on their island holiday home which in years gone by had been a land stewards house. The story had it that the steward and his family had been deeply unpopular and the steward had evicted a number of families from the island. He later died and was buried on the island and his family left. The house in question also had previously a bit of a reputation for being haunted following the death of the land steward. Fast forward to one dark night when we were on our own and bored - we decided to play spin the bottle with letters - we would ask questions and spin a bottle which was surrounded by letters. The strange thing was we kept on getting articulate sentences that included the stewards family name. Eventually we had enough of it and went to bed. A little while later - I awoke to hear an almighty banging on the door as if the door was being violently kicked from the outside. Scared absolutely witless I went and woke my cousin but by that stage the noise had stopped. We were both fairly petrified. Asked a person with an interest in such matters about the incident who claimed we had awoken the memory / entity of whatever was still there but we were lucky in that we hadn't actually asked the thing in. It is of note that the house was in the middle of nowhere and the area outside was surrounded in gravel - we had never heard anyone walk away after the kicking of the door finished...

Right, now I dare to tell about my creepy house too.

I was keeping company to my brother one summer. We were in the living room watching TV when there was a massive BANG from the kitchen. We rushed there to see that the painting had fallen off the wall. Figuring it was best not to put it up in case it'd fall again, we left it resting against the wall. We went back to the living room only to hear another BANG from the kitchen. Now creeped out, we went to see. The ceiling lamp had fallen off and was now on the kitchen table, but somehow had remained intact. My brother and I joked about it and told our mother when she returned.
    We laughed about it and soon forgot the whole incident.

Few months later, on a weekend nearest to Halloween, I was home alone and had invited a bunch of close friends over. After watching the horror movie, we spent a good while chatting before everyone got sleepy. Three people slept downstairs, three upstairs, including myself. The downstairs people talked about the movie until early hours, so it wasn't until midday that we all gathered downstairs again to have breakfast. One of the girls who had slept upstairs in my mother's bed came to ask me, almost whispering, if anyone else had been upstairs. No, not that I know of. Soon after the other girl came up to me and asked who it was that crept into bed with them. Wasn't me. I asked one girl who had slept downstairs if anyone had gone upstairs, and she said that the only moving downstairs had been her moving from the mattress to the couch. The upstairs girls said that someone had, for sure, gone into bed between them and had put their arm over one of them. It had been longer than the other girl's arm, who also swore it wasn't her.

Not thinking much into the Halloween incident since one of the girls wasn't known for her honesty nor her modesty, I continued to be home alone every now and then.
    I was alone the following Easter weekend. Sitting on the downstairs couch, I could smell a perfume that for sure wasn't mine. It wasn't one of my mother's perfumes either, though I couldn't be sure. It was a nice flowery smell, and I made a mental note to buy some perfume like it.
    Late at night, I retreated upstairs and was switching off all the lights from the other rooms, thinking how creepy it would be to live alone and always have to close the lights, since darkness makes me uneasy. I switched the last light above the stairs off and hurried to my room like you do when you don't want to see anything in the dark.

I don't recall what I was dreaming about, but it probably wasn't anything too important. Then a screaming wail pierced into my dream, and I could tell it was coming from the real world. There's a road beside the house, which some people sometimes take on their way home from a bar, so I tried to ignore it and sleep. The scream was sort of howling, somewhat roaring, and incredibly loud. The closer I got to waking up, the closer the source of the sound seemed to be. At first it seemed to be coming from the road. Then downstairs. Then upstairs. My room. I snapped awake, the sound still echoing in my head. I looked around. There was nobody in the room. I could tell, since there was light shining under and around my door, which always sits poorly on its frames. After a few second of "glad I left that light on", I realised that I didn't. I had shut them all. It had creeped me out, I remember it.

I snapped on the lights in my room and peeked into the hallway. The light above the stairs was on. I switched lights on in my brother's room, nothing there. Same in my mother's room. There was nothing in the bathroom either, except the random things that don't fit anywhere else. I grabbed a long metal ladle and went to check the downstairs. I do own a knife, but didn't want to get to a stabbing distance. Switching on the lights as I went, I couldn't hear or see anything out of ordinary. No signs of anyone breaking in either. Both doors locked, all windows intact and we don't own a fireplace.
    Oddly enough I was able to get back to sleep just fine after checking the whole house, but the crutches story sure did keep me awake.

Since then, the light may have been switched on during the night once more, but that time I hadn't made any mental remarks about it, so I can't be sure. I might have just left it on since I was feeling weird, like my consciousness was being pushed down. That happens every now and then; I start feeling sleepy around 5 pm, and at 8 pm I'm struggling to function. Often when that happens, I see dark flickering at the edge of my vision, and after a long fight of trying to see and notice what I'm seeing, I manage to hunt down a moth. There have been five in my room since summer. They show up when no windows have been opened, and they're never anywhere else. Just in my room, flying around when I can't register what I'm sensing.

TL;DR: Things are falling off the walls, someone wanted to sleep with my friends, lights are switching on and moths are invading my living space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Again concerning things falling off walls. My mother inherited a number of portraits / paintings from her mother that had been in the family going way back. My mother then experienced finding various portraits / paintings fallen from the wall over the years. The bizarre thing is that each incident has been accompanied by a corresponding death in the family. She firmly believes that each incident predicts a death and woe betide anyone who tries to persuade her otherwise. The bizarre thing is that we have checked and paintings have fallen some days before family members have died. Coincidence? Who knows ...

And then there was an old estate house ...

Big house down the country - well known to have a supernatural reputation. Anyway myself and wife were away and stayed one night. Slept like a log. The next morning my wife commented that I had been trying to push her out of the bed and had woken up to find me on the far side of the bed, thinking I had turned over over she went back to sleep - only to find it happened again and again and each time we were both on our respective sides of the bed ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I had a totally weird experience lately. I was fast asleep, out to the world, having a great kip, very deep sleep, you get the picture. It was not an alcohol or drug induced kip but it was an unusually deep sleep. Anyway while I was asleep I thought I could feel someone come into the bedroom, I was sure someone was standing beside the bed so I tried to wake up but could not. It was not like a dream or nightmare, it was more a feeling but I was sure there was someone in the room. BTW there was nobody else in the house at the time. Normally if I am having a really bad nightmare I am able to wake myself up if the nightmare gets too much but with this even though I was trying I could not open my eyes and it felt like a weight had me stuck to the bed. Really weird experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I had a totally weird experience lately. I was fast asleep, out to the world, having a great kip, very deep sleep, you get the picture. It was not an alcohol or drug induced kip but it was an unusually deep sleep. Anyway while I was asleep I thought I could feel someone come into the bedroom, I was sure someone was standing beside the bed so I tried to wake up but could not. It was not like a dream or nightmare, it was more a feeling but I was sure there was someone in the room. BTW there was nobody else in the house at the time. Normally if I am having a really bad nightmare I am able to wake myself up if the nightmare gets too much but with this even though I was trying I could not open my eyes and it felt like a weight had me stuck to the bed. Really weird experience.
    Sleep paralysis. Common enough, I think there's even a few mentions of it on this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Last night when I was sleeping I heard a dog barking downstairs (I don't have a dog). I took the gun I keep under my bed and slowly crept downstairs. The barking got louder, it was coming from my living room which had its door closed. I opened the door and turned on the light, thrusting my gun out I shouted "freeze".

What happened next was beyond freaky.

There was a man dressed in dog suits braking, going down on a well dressed man in a suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Sleep paralysis. Common enough, I think there's even a few mentions of it on this page.

A few you say? I am so f**cking sick of reading about bloody sleep paralysis everytime I open this thread. I cannot describe the feeling of disappointment I get. It overwhelms my whole being.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

My grandparent's house had extremely weird stuff happen in it over the years. My Dad who was born and reared in it, was terrified of the house, till the day he died. Things moved around by themselves, stones rained down on the roof, the house would shake when the door leading to the bedrooms was opened at night. The house was blessed by a priest several times, but whatever it was always came back eventually. My mother woke one night to see a nun standing at the end of the bed. My Grandad who was stone deaf heard voices. This is just a handful of things that happened. The house still stands unoccupied since the late 80s, it's no longer in our family. My sister and I went for a snoop around it last year, it's totally derelict. We heard banging around the side, and went to investigate,but nothing there. The people that live in the house next door recently asked my cousin if he knew what the story could be. Late at night they hear shouting and roaring, like people are arguing in there,though it has been empty almost 30 yrs now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

I'm been stalked on this board by one poster in particular who follows me from thread to thread trolling my posts....
    That's a bit creepy and unnerving......:pac:

Few more things I can share about weird experiences:

The night my paternal grandmother's brother died, she says she saw him come to her and say that he's finally going where he belongs and that he's no longer alone. I was very young when he died, but I remember him as a lonely man with a lot of lava lamps. It's nice to think that he would be happier after life.
    I've inherited my grandmother's clairvoyant dreaming skills, and used to have a lot of dreams that came true a few years later. I can't remember the minor ones anymore, but I dreamed about the 2004 tsunami with creepily accurate details. In the dream my family was on vacation and there was weird chirping in my parents' room. I was indeed on vacation with my family when the earthquake and tsunami happened, and there was chirping in the bedroom.
    As a kid I knew which dreams would come true because it was always the ones I couldn't control. Only a few years ago I learned that people are actually putting effort into lucid dreaming! Most of my dreams are lucid dreams. Luckily the rest don't come true nowadays.

Someone once mentioned on this thread that she has a strange connection with her daughter, who would often say out loud what the mother was thinking. My mother and I have same kind of a connection. Often when a thought suddenly pops into my head, my mom mentions the same thing, or if I say it out loud, she goes "God, I was just thinking that!" It happens several times per day, and sometimes I can predict word for word what she's about to say. And no matter how weird a thought I may have, she can suddenly just blurt it out. When I was younger, it used to make me paranoid about mind readers! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The mysterious case of Alex from Tennessee.Was he lured into a trap by a serial killer?.The story is explained in the last picture.

http://imgur.com/a/QQA6g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

The mysterious case of Alex from Tennessee.Was he lured into a trap by a serial killer?.The story is explained in the last picture.

http://imgur.com/a/QQA6g

I'm too scared to click that link. Cam someone give me the jist of it? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

bnagrrl wrote: »

a collection of random bizzare pictures/writing

with a conclusion about as informative as people who've ever tried to try to explain to me what game of thrones is about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

This fúcking thread, I swear to Jesus...

I was reading it earlier tonight. I'm home alone, the place is quiet and all is right with the world.

The living room was woefully stuffy, so I opened the balcony door to let some air in (I live in an apartment, btw). There's a bit of a breeze out, but it is a lovely, cooling breeze for me. I was overheating to bits.

Anyway, I'm sat on the sofa, reading this thread. I'm reading about the ghost-like appearance of dead relatives and stuff like that. I have been reading for a while and I'm sufficiently creeped out. I'm also listening to Slayer with my headphones.

Without warning of anything, I suddenly feel something brushing violently off the back of my head and fluttering around my head.

I jump up from the couch like a Polaris missile, letting out a suitably girly, terrified shriek...

Architectural plans I had resting on a table behind the sofa... the breeze caught the covering page and sent it fluttering up around my head...

My heart palpitations have just subsided... and this happened about half an hour ago...

This fúcking thread... why do I read it at night?! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

DazMarz wrote: »

I was reading it earlier tonight. I'm home alone, the place is quiet and all is right with the world.

The living room was woefully stuffy, so I opened the balcony door to let some air in (I live in an apartment, btw). There's a bit of a breeze out, but it is a lovely, cooling breeze for me. I was overheating to bits.

Anyway, I'm sat on the sofa, reading this thread. I'm reading about the ghost-like appearance of dead relatives and stuff like that. I have been reading for a while and I'm sufficiently creeped out. I'm also listening to Slayer with my headphones.

Without warning of anything, I suddenly feel something brushing violently off the back of my head and fluttering around my head.

I jump up from the couch like a Polaris missile, letting out a suitably girly, terrified shriek...

Architectural plans I had resting on a table behind the sofa... the breeze caught the covering page and sent it fluttering up around my head...

My heart palpitations have just subsided... and this happened about half an hour ago...

Classic:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

bnagrrl wrote: »

I've clicked, but I can't make heads or tales with it. I just don't understand 4chan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Lucid Dreaming (knowing you are dreaming and enjoying the benefits) and Astral Projection (visiting other dimensions while lucid dreaming) are associated with sleep paralysis - The entities described by many here are what are known as shadow people.

I have been trying to Lucid dream recently, once I crack this properly i will move onto astral projection but for now my studies have taken me to a range of videos on youtube about how to protect yourself from shadow people.

I'm no expert im just passing on my early experiences and discoveries, but for anyone who suffers alot from sleep paralysis learning to control your sleep can be beneficial. I would recommend learning to Lucid dream, and to study how to protect yourself while doing so. There is a particular video I watched that I will find and post which explains alot about this.

Listening to Binaural beats at bedtime is great for drifting off and experiencing some madness, they are 2 frequencies played at odds which resonate during sleep (as different dimensions vibrate at different frequencies) (Apparently)

It all sounds a bit mad but im enjoying trying these different experiences, I have come close to Astrel projection and can now sometimes Lucid dream fairly easily, the freedom a lucid dream gives you is amazing! This video got me lucid first time! But yer man did my head in after a while so there are better videos out there but he explains things well for first timers.

Sorry if you all think im nuts im just into this atm :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

DazMarz wrote: »

So sorry for laughing at your terror but I giggled a bit at this! :D *offer cookie*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

kilkenny12 wrote: »
    A few you say? I am so f**cking sick of reading about bloody sleep paralysis everytime I open this thread. I cannot describe the feeling of disappointment I get. It overwhelms my whole being.

:mad:

But atleast the SP posts are somewhat believable. This is a fun thread and all, but such a load of horse **** you'd have to be a gobsh1te to actually believe any of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

But atleast the SP posts are somewhat believable. This is a fun thread and all, but such a load of horse **** you'd have to be a gobsh1te to actually believe any of it.

Go open a sleep paralysis thread so

*Hint at thread title* "Has anyone ever had....."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

On 15 June 1989,a woman in Port St.Joe,Florida pulled off route 98 into the parking lot of a Junior food store.She found this photo face down on the asphalt.

http://i.imgur.com/F209YKZ.jpg

This is what someone said in response.

[QUOTEThis is probably going to be lost in the comments, but that photo has haunted me for decades. I was working as a manager Egghead Software, and the police sent us a special packet containing that picture in our weekly managers mailings. The girl in the picture is wearing an Egghead Software tshirt. We sold those in all our stores. We were asked to look at her and see if we recognized her or the boy in the picture. The police were looking for any link or clue to help them id the children. None of us remembered anything or recognized them.
    Sometimes in life, something happens, and you immediately think "this just got burned into my memory - I'm going to remember this for the rest of my life." This was one of them. Sitting at my desk, in the back office. Looking at that picture of the girl in the Egghead T-shirt. The terrified look of the boy, and the resigned look of the girl. decades later - with kids of my own now, I still remember exactly where I was sitting, exactly what I was feeling. And now I know exactly what their parents must have been feeling - to feel so helpless and know there was nothing I could do to rescue my child.
    I'm going to go to my grave with that picture as clear in my head as the day I saw it][/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

That girl is suspected to be Tara Calico. There's no suggestion for the boy's identity. They really do look terrified, I wish we knew who they really were and if they're safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The Avenging Astronaut

Long time reader, first time poster in this thread. Been reading it over the Halloween period, put some genuine shivers down my back!

I was sat at home one afternoon a couple of years ago. It was a Saturday, and I was sat in the living room, working on my laptop. I was on my own in the house, and had no TV or radio on because I was editing a sound file. I was playing it through the laptop speakers because it wouldn't bother anyone else, so when I hadn't pressed play, the room and house were silent. It had been a couple of hours since there was anyone else in the house, and seeing as I had no distractions, I was happily working away.

After I'd finished, I went to just browsing the web, but I'd gotten used to the silence so I didn't think to turn on any music, radio, TV whatever. I was happy enough just reading in silence. Then, I heard a noise that sounded like it came from an upstairs bedroom...

It was a short series of tapping/scratching sounds, and I didn't think much of it at first really, it sounded a bit faint. I live in a bog standard three bed semi, and initially I put it down to the neighbours arsing around, doing some DIY on the weekend, and that their hammering or whatever it was was audible to me next door.

Then the sound came again a minute later, this time unmistakably in the room right above me. It sounded like someone was quickly moving around the bedroom upstairs. Tapping sounds, scuffing sounds, distinctly moving about up there. I was a bit shocked, as I was sure I was alone, but I reasoned that it was that one of my family upstairs, just getting up from a long lie-in in bed. Unusual for anyone in the house to stay in so long and not make a noise prior to this, but not impossible. The noises were still going on every few seconds, but had moved into the bedrooms at the front of the house. Rattling, scuffling, scratching.

I went to the bottom of the stairs, and just called out 'hello?'. The noises stopped dead, but nobody replied.

In that instant, I realised there was a good chance it could be a burglar upstairs, that he'd gotten in an upstairs window, and hearing nothing like a radio downstairs, was working on the assumption that the house was empty, and set about rifling through the rooms. Now I'd disturbed him with my stupidity, and he'd confront me.

I was rooted to the spot, not knowing what to do now. Dead silence from upstairs now. I'm not highly-strung, I tend to under-react rather than over-react, but in a few seconds, I'd convinced myself of this burglar theory, and now I was surfing a big wave of gut-wrenching adrenaline. This couId be the only reason why someone would go quiet and not acknowledge me. And now I'd discovered him and more or less trapped him upstairs. I looked back into the living room to see if I could find any kind of weapon, if it came to it. As quietly as I could, I found a box cutter / Stanley knife in a drawer, and I resumed my post at the bottom of the stairs. Then the noises started again. I'm a big guy and not normally given to panicking, but by now I was really bricking it. This guy upstairs was brazen, he'd heard and reacted to me, but now it sounded he'd decided to carry on.

Again, rattling and scuffling sounds, moving quickly back and forth across one bedroom. It sounded like somebody was quickly pacing the room. I called 'who's there?' up the stairs, though I imagine there was a fair shake in my voice by now. Again, the noises instantly stopped dead. Well, I'd established that whoever it was, they weren't deaf. So there I was, stuck at the bottom of the stairs, starting to quake a bit, fully convinced I had an intruder rummaging about in the bedrooms upstairs, but without a clue as to what to do. He knew I was there, and vice-versa. My big mouth had managed to get me into a standoff with some creep robbing the house.

As the noises resumed upstairs, I felt for my phone in my pocket. Good, at least I had that. Feeling a bit more in control armed with with a knife and a phone, I shouted 'I'm calling the cops' up the stairs. The noises stopped again. I was so tense by now. Who was this non-verbal bastard? He knew I knew he was there, he reacted to my voice every time. What if I offered to just let him go without confronting him? Will he try to beat the crap out of me? How quickly can I convey the situation over the phone before he throws something heavy down at me? All these thoughts were in my head as I looked up the stairs.

Then, a small black shape appeared around the corner at the top of the stairs. I nearly screamed at seeing actual movement, but within a split second, I realised what it was. It was our cat. The bloody cat! He sat down on the top stair and let out an inquisitive 'meow?', as if I was somehow wasting his valuable time with my inquiries. Rarely have I experienced such relief in my life. I went up the stairs, loudly told the cat that he was an utter bollocks, and just checked every room, to be sure. As I was doing so, the noises started again. The cat had resumed his sport in the next room, which was chasing a spool of thread around the floor. He'd started in one room, chased it around the landing and into another room. His paws, claws and the spool rattling around created all the noises that I'd heard.

My nerves frayed, I picked him and his new toy up and deposited both in the garden to continue out there. I was only happy that I hadn't actually dialled the cops, because I'd have felt so utterly stupid saying 'oh wait, actually it's just the cat' in the middle of the call...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Burkie94

A short enough one but one that used to have me bricking it whenever my Mam told me.

My parents lived in London for about 20 years before I was born and moved around a lot. One night my Mam was woken by a noise but said she listened for a while, assumed it was nothing and went back to sleep. She reckons it felt like she fell back to sleep for a good while but can't be sure, it might have only been minutes. She's woken again by a sound and lets out a scream when she sees a figure standing over her. The chap legs it immediately out of the room and Dad, woken by my Mam's scream, runs after him. (In the nip, I might add)

My Dad chases the fella down the road and into a park but lost him there and returned to the house. Mam hadn't moved from the bed at all and was in a bit of shock. When Dad's back and the police have been rung, he tells her to get up and he'll make her a cup of tea. She moved so she was sitting on the bed and then stood up. When she stands up she feels something hard and cold underfoot and, upon looking down, her heart sinks and she gets that hollow empty stomach feeling when she sees a large, shining kitchen knife sticking out under her foot.

Always gave me the chills when she told the story. She said she never really felt comfortable in the house after that and it probably helped speed up the next move they made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

On 15 June 1989,a woman in Port St.Joe,Florida pulled off route 98 into the parking lot of a Junior food store.She found this photo face down on the asphalt.

http://i.imgur.com/F209YKZ.jpg

This is what someone said in response.

[QUOTEThis is probably going to be lost in the comments, but that photo has haunted me for decades. I was working as a manager Egghead Software, and the police sent us a special packet containing that picture in our weekly managers mailings. The girl in the picture is wearing an Egghead Software tshirt. We sold those in all our stores. We were asked to look at her and see if we recognized her or the boy in the picture. The police were looking for any link or clue to help them id the children. None of us remembered anything or recognized them.
    Sometimes in life, something happens, and you immediately think "this just got burned into my memory - I'm going to remember this for the rest of my life." This was one of them. Sitting at my desk, in the back office. Looking at that picture of the girl in the Egghead T-shirt. The terrified look of the boy, and the resigned look of the girl. decades later - with kids of my own now, I still remember exactly where I was sitting, exactly what I was feeling. And now I know exactly what their parents must have been feeling - to feel so helpless and know there was nothing I could do to rescue my child.
    I'm going to go to my grave with that picture as clear in my head as the day I saw it]
    [/quote]

You really should have put NSFW in front of that link. I've just clicked on that in work and I really hope that doesn't get me in trouble.

Awful harrowing picture....

• Advertisement
Advertisement