Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

That girl is suspected to be Tara Calico. There's no suggestion for the boy's identity. They really do look terrified, I wish we knew who they really were and if they're safe.

Had never heard of that case, very scary, was reading up on the area and came across a forum where a woman detailed what happened to her on the same stretch of road as where Tara went missing. Scary mary, have posted it below:

lived in Eastern New Mexico for several years before recently moving to the Midwest. My friend and I would spend many weekends exploring the remote corners of New Mexico, discovering abandoned ghost towns and enjoying the quiet desolate beauty of the desert.

One weekend we were traveling from Ruidoso to Albuquerque. Always up for exploring, we took a back road rather than traveling the more direct highway.

One leg of our journey had us on NM55. It was a remote, teeny, tiny two lane highway. We loved these types of roads- up until that day.

We were going to be on NM55 for 20 miles before getting to NM60 which would take us to I25. About 5 miles into the highway, we saw a white pickup truck ahead of us. He was going the same direction we were. We started paying more attention when he stopped his truck sideways in the middle of the highway, blocking both lanes. After a minute, he pulled over and parked off on the left side of the highway- but with his truck facing the direction we were going- he was parked on the wrong side of the road. At the time he pulled over, he was about a mile ahead of us. As we came up on him, we looked over and he stared the whole time we passed by. We thought it was weird and started getting a little nervous. We realized how alone we really were. We had seen no other traffic on that road and we hadn't told our husbands about our 'great idea' to take a detour. We checked our cell phones and neither one had signal- typical for remote New Mexico, but scary given our present situation.

A minute after we passed the truck, he pulled back onto the highway and started following us. He never got too close. He would get to within a few car lengths and then drop back about a mile and then speed up again get close and then drop back. He did this over and over. We were really starting to get nervous. My friend was driving, and increasing our speed, while I frantically checked the map, hoping to find a road that would have more traffic. There was no other road. We had to travel this road to get to the next one.

After about 5 minutes, we saw another pickup truck coming towards us in the opposite lane. He was going very very slowly- maybe 20mph- if that. This pickup was old, beat up and filthy whereas the one behind us was newer looking.

My friend wasn't slowing down for anything. She kept our speed up to almost 80mph (which wasn't typical for us on a 55mph highway). And we blew by the slow, old pick up truck, but not without noticing that he also stared at us the whole time. And he was talking into what had to be a walkie-talkie.

And then he did a U-turn and pulled in behind the white pickup truck.
    No doubt these two knew each other. We were being deliberately followed. And for the first- and only time- in my life, I felt 'hunted'.

They stayed behind us. We started watching out for obstacles in the road. We truly thought 'old beat-up pickup guy' had set up a trap in the road and our vehicle would be disabled somehow. We actually talked about driving into the fields (we were in an SUV). But this was obviously 'their territory' and we were afraid of what would happen if we did go 'off road'- and then got stuck somewhere. So, we stayed on the highway.

As we topped a hill, we nearly barreled into another vehicle going our direction. We saw the plates and they said 'US Park Service'. Not sure what to think, we looked behind us. Both pickup trucks did u-turns and went the other way. We followed the park service truck to NM60. We took it to I25 (South of Belen) and went on to Albuquerque.

I don't know exactly what those guys intentions were, but they weren't good. There is something seriously wrong there. I notified the State police, but there was no crime to report. They said they would keep an eye on things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

was reading the daily mail and came across a story about fred and rose west's nanny. I had heard of the infamy of fred west but never knew exactly what it was about. Am kind of regretting reading the wiki page now. Brace yourselves people, this is proper ****ed up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_West

was reading the daily mail and came across a story about fred and rose west's nanny. I had heard of the infamy of fred west but never knew exactly what it was about. Am kind of regretting reading the wiki page now. Brace yourselves people, this is proper ****ed up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_West

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gravity9.81

Two weeks ago on a Thursday night i was at home sitting watching tv
    I heard my 2 and 1/2 year old call me dada dada
    Up i go she is there hands out dada there's a monster not a usual thing for her to say but after some resistance she goes back to sleep

Back down stairs ten mins later big bang up stairs

I fly up and her lamp had fallen off the wall the other side of the room to her cot she is clung to the bed screaming dada my light jumped off the wall.

She was so frighted i had to bring her downstairs, lamp never fell off before or since, by the way live about 50 yards from a military grave yard in new houses in cork city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

jiltloop wrote: »

You really should have put NSFW in front of that link. I've just clicked on that in work and I really hope that doesn't get me in trouble.

Awful harrowing picture....[/QUOTE]

What is the picture of? I'm so wary of clicking on links in this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

gg2 wrote: »

What is the picture of? I'm so wary of clicking on links in this thread!

It's of a young woman and a boy tied up with tape on their mouths. Both of them look absolutely terrified :(

Kovu wrote: »
    It's of a young woman and a boy tied up with tape on their mouths. Both of them look absolutely terrified :(

its kind of scary (the photo that is) but the website gives a story of what happened when they went missing

Kovu wrote: »

I couldn't look at that I find it difficult to erase pictures like that from my mind...
    Roquentin wrote: »
    its kind of scary (the photo that is) but the website gives a story of what happened when they went missing

Can anyone copy and paste the story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tara_Calico

Also linked a few posts back

• Advertisement

allym wrote: »
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tara_Calico

Also linked a few posts back

But is the picture also in the link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

But is the picture also in the link?

In a drop down section(on the mobile site anyway) labeled the photograph.

I, personally, don't think the photo is that bad. A little upsetting, but not something that you'd never forget I don't think.

But anyway, the gist of the story from
    Wiki:

On September 20, 1988, Calico left her home at about 9:30 in the morning to go on her customary bike ride. She told her mother, Patty Doel, to come and get her if she was not home by noon. Doel went searching for her daughter along her usual bike route, but could not find her and contacted the police. Pieces of her Sony Walkman and a cassette tape were discovered along the route and Doel believed that Calico might have dropped them in an attempt to mark her trail. Several people saw Calico riding her bicycle, which has never been found. No one witnessed her presumed abduction, although several witnesses observed a 1953 or 1954 Ford pickup following her. It is not known if this vehicle was connected to her disappearance. All efforts to locate the pickup have failed.

On June 15, 1989, a Polaroid photo of an unidentified young woman and a boy, both gagged and seemingly bound, was found in the parking lot of a convenience store in Port St. Joe, Florida. It was theorized that the woman in the photo was Calico and that the boy was Michael Henley, also of New Mexico, who had disappeared in April 1988. According to investigators, the picture had to have been taken after May 1989 because the particular film used in the photograph was not available until then. Despite much conjecture, the identification of the boy in the photograph as Henley seems unlikely because his remains were discovered in 1990 in the Zuni Mountains, about 7 miles from his family's campsite where he had disappeared, and 75 miles from where Calico disappeared. Police believe that Henley wandered off and died of exposure.[1]

Her mother believed the woman in the photo was indeed her daughter due in part to what appeared to be a scar on the woman's leg, similar to one Calico had received in a car accident. In addition, a paperback copy of V.C. Andrews' My Sweet Audrina, said to be one of Calico's favorite books, can be seen lying next to the woman. Scotland Yard analysed the photo and concluded that the woman was Calico, but a second analysis by the Los Alamos National Laboratory disagreed.[2] An FBI analysis of the photo was inconclusive.[3]

Two other Polaroid photographs, possibly of Calico, have surfaced over the years, but they have yet to be released to the public.[4]

There were several reported sightings of her in 1988 and 1989, mostly in the southern half of the United States, but none of these sightings could be confirmed.[5]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

There is another thread for strange stories knocking around somewhere. The Calico story belongs in that and not in here along with the discussion about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

There is another thread for strange stories knocking around somewhere. The Calico story belongs in that and not in here along with the discussion about it.

I thought you were up for anything ?! Puzzled :S

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I have one of those old tube tele's on top of my wardrobe and sometimes before I get into bed I look up at it to see it's glowing!

Just like it was on for a while and switched off, that sort of faint glow.

Now I'm sure there's a logical explanation for it but it just creeps me the feck out! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

I have one of those old tube tele's on top of my wardrobe and sometimes before I get into bed I look up at it to see it's glowing!

Just like it was on for a while and switched off, that sort of faint glow.

Now I'm sure there's a logical explanation for it but it just creeps me the feck out! :pac:

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/computers-technology/old-haunted-television-set/t.66986163_1/

Don't worry it seems to happen to other people too!

• Advertisement

whoops sorry didn't see the guidelines you had set out for what does and doesn't belong in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

whoops sorry didn't see the guidelines you had set out for what does and doesn't belong in this thread

I set out no guidelines but I did read the thread title. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Was just looking at my tablet one evening last week, around half 11. The screen became unresponsive, which can happen it's not always reliable. It can also occasionally have delayed reaction to presses. So initially when both these things started happening I didn't think too much of it.

Then after a couple of minutes, different parts of the screen acted like they had been touched, pages and apps loading on their. That spooked me a bit, was definitely odd, but the last thing that happened sh*t me up completely.

An excerpt from poltergeist began to play, where the little girl with blond hair is watching TV, while her parents are in bed. It would not turn off.

Now I've never watched that film, downloaded it, streamed it or anything, so why the feck did it play on my tablet. None of the onscreen buttons would stop it, and the physical button at side of the tablet did nothing, the only thing that stopped it was closing the cover I have for it, and opening it. And then it let me turn the whole tablet off. Mother in law suggested sprinkling it with holy water, and I was half considering it.

Was just looking at my tablet one evening last week, around half 11. The screen became unresponsive, which can happen it's not always reliable. It can also occasionally have delayed reaction to presses. So initially when both these things started happening I didn't think too much of it.

Then after a couple of minutes, different parts of the screen acted like they had been touched, pages and apps loading on their. That spooked me a bit, was definitely odd, but the last thing that happened sh*t me up completely.

An excerpt from poltergeist began to play, where the little girl with blond hair is watching TV, while her parents are in bed. It would not turn off.

Now I've never watched that film, downloaded it, streamed it or anything, so why the feck did it play on my tablet. None of the onscreen buttons would stop it, and the physical button at side of the tablet did nothing, the only thing that stopped it was closing the cover I have for it, and opening it. And then it let me turn the whole tablet off. Mother in law suggested sprinkling it with holy water, and I was half considering it.

Honestly, I would never be able to use the tablet again!!! Kind of scared of my own phone now incase it starts to act the (haunted) eejit ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Could have been worse could have played The Ring where she gets out of the telly and comes towards you.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

When I was a child , my grandparents and their next door neighbours used to joke with me that they were all going to die on the same day, and go up to heaven in a wardrobe:). When my Grandad died and his coffin was in the church, we noticed another coffin over to the side. When we went over to have a look, it was Mrs. Power, she had died on the same day:(

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

I remember when we lived in our old house, myself and the other half were in the sitting room talking and we both happened to look over at the window at the same time. There was a black mass/shadow just standing there looking in, although it had no features whatsoever-it was just a large black hump, almost liquid-like. It started moving upward and then downward until it disappeared out of sight. We both looked at each other and then went out through the back door thinking that it may have been a black bag blowing in the wind or something (although honestly, it was too large to be a bag) but there was nothing there. There was no way in or out of our back yard (we hadn't even got a side entrance at the time), so that gave me the heebie jeebies for a while!

I remember when we lived in our old house, myself and the other half were in the sitting room talking and we both happened to look over at the window at the same time. There was a black mass/shadow just standing there looking in, although it had no features whatsoever-it was just a large black hump, almost liquid-like. It started moving upward and then downward until it disappeared out of sight. We both looked at each other and then went out through the back door thinking that it may have been a black bag blowing in the wind or something (although honestly, it was too large to be a bag) but there was nothing there. There was no way in or out of our back yard (we hadn't even got a side entrance at the time), so it couldn't have been a neighbour messing. That sure gave me the heebie jeebies for a while!

Sorry for the double post, can't seem to delete it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Sapphire3 wrote: »
    Sorry for the double post, can't seem to delete it!!!

Creepy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

dubstarr wrote: »
    Could have been worse could have played The Ring where she gets out of the telly and comes towards you.:D

Or worse again ... Fair City!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Loosely been following this thread, haven't had anything significantly creepy or unnerving happen to myself.

Thought I would share one that happened to my wife's friend the other day.

This lady is a mother of a 3 year old girl that was sitting at the dinner table. The child whispered in her mothers ear

"I loved you when you were a child"

Mother: "Really did you know me when I was a child?"

Child: "Yes I have been here before, I'm your grandmother!"

Mother was slightly distressed over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Well I finally have something to add to this!

I'm currently in Thailand at the moment.

Last night, I woke up at 3am to a rattling sound and when i moved my sleep mask up to look around I saw this woman standing by the window, she had her arms crossed and was just staring at me.

I freaked out! But then she slowly started to dissolve. I was 100% awake and it wasn't too hot in the room because I had the air conditioning on.

It's the first time anything like that has ever happened to me.

It was very scary! I hope i'm not losing my mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Angry_Mammarys

Well I finally have something to add to this!

I'm currently in Thailand at the moment.

Last night, I woke up at 3am to a rattling sound and when i moved my sleep mask up to look around I saw this woman standing by the window, she had her arms crossed and was just staring at me.

I freaked out! But then she slowly started to dissolve. I was 100% awake and it wasn't too hot in the room because I had the air conditioning on.

It's the first time anything like that has ever happened to me.

It was very scary! I hope i'm not losing my mind!

Sleep mask????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Sleep mask????

I don't know what they are actually called. Like what you get on a plane, to block out light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I don't know what they are actually called. Like what you get on a plane, to block out light.

A blindfold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Lads I dont know if it has been mentioned in this thread, but from the OP's reddit thread, the last story is seriously mindblowing and seriously f'ed up!

Link to the website for more of the Holders stories: http://theholders.org/
    In any city, in any country, go to any mental institution or halfway house in you can get yourself to. When you reach the front desk, ask to visit someone who calls himself "The Holder of the End". Should a look of child-like fear come over the workers face, you will then be taken to a cell in the building. It will be in a deep hidden section of the building. All you will hear is the sound of someone talking to themselves echo the halls. It is in a language that you will not understand, but your very soul will feel unspeakable fear.
    Should the talking stop at any time, STOP and QUICKLY say aloud "I'm just passing through, I wish to talk." If you still hear silence, flee. Leave, do not stop for anything, do not go home, don't stay at an inn, just keep moving, sleep where your body drops. You will know in the morning if you've escaped.
    If the voice in the hall comes back after you utter those words continue on. Upon reaching the cell all you will see is a windowless room with a person in the corner, speaking an unknown language, and cradling something. The person will only respond to one question. "What happens when they all come together?"
    The person will then stare into your eyes and answer your question in horrifying detail. Many go mad in that very cell, some disappear soon after the meeting, a few end their lives. But most do the worst thing, and look upon the object in the person's hands. You will want to as well. Be warned that if you do, your death will be one of cruelty and unrelenting horror.
    Your death will be in that room, by that person's hands.
    That object is 1 of 2538. They must never come together. Never.
    If you ever find Dargaia's nectar, you'll probably be one of the ones who have been looking for it all their lives, and thus won't need any instructions on what to do with it.
    Just the same, it's pretty simple, at least to start with. Make sure your affairs are in order (in case you have a bad reaction), and then? Bottoms up.
    The coming months are the least pleasant part. You'll find yourself unable to keep food down long before you're far enough along to stop needing it. Same with sleep. The color of your blood will be off, and your veins will consequently stand out more. Expect a few ingrown body parts; little things, just fingers and ears and teeth, usually pressing up against the skin. Make sure you're caught up on your booster shots because you're never going in for a checkup again. Or wearing anything more revealing than a trenchcoat in public, most likely.
    Eventually, a little cut on your belly will start 'unhealing', becoming a pus-filled wound in a few days. Over the coming week, three things will emerge from this.
    The first object resembles a greasy black beechnut with maybe a tooth or two growing from it. When you're dead someone will eventually find it and use it to make a new batch of Dargaia's nectar. Hide it well, make things fun for future generations.
    The second object basically looks like a softball-sized cluster of veins, many of them broken and leaking oily black stuff, all wrapped around something. Then it'll squirm and you'll notice the twisted little skinless fetus in the middle. It will only survive for about twenty seconds. Burn the remains.
    The third object will.. well, let's just call it "Object 448." It's easier that way.
    You can plant it anywhere you want. I advise some place where you don't mind spending all your time and no one else would go. Your back yard or under your cellar works if you don't have any roommates; as long as there's fertile soil. Dig at least five feet down. It won't want to be buried, but just keep piling dirt onto it (if you can still hear it when you're finished you didn't go deep enough).
    Its veins (or roots, I guess) will eventually spread in all directions about a foot and a half for every year of your life. Grass and weeds will grow stiff and bony, or black and oily, or take on the color and texture of a spider bite, or rice paper. Wood will be infected too; you'll hear the arteries in your walls pulsing on quiet nights. The ground will rot with dead insect and animal life. Don't mow your lawn; it bleeds like hell.
    This is your sanctuary.
    No matter what threats or injuries beset you outside, here you will be safe and healthy. Well, what passes as 'healthy' for you now. And if you really hate someone, bring them here. Trick them into coming. They'll get infected, one way or another; a lungful of spore, a thorn prick, a bit of residue on their hand. They will vomit blood with tiny centipedes in it. They will excrete their own spinal fluids. Their eyes will milk over and hatch; small spines, brambles and various other creatures will grow from the sockets. They'll survive for months or years, doctors will be baffled, it will be completely ****ing great.
    That's all for starters. You'll learn more as you go. Much more. But if I told you everything now you might not do it.
    Whatever you do, just guard it with your life, with your very soul. If you think you're in danger of losing it, dig it up, kill it with a silver needle, let someone else make a new one some day. You'll feel as if you've pierced your own heart, but it's better than letting it fall into the wrong hands.
    Because you're a Holder now.
    And you'd better not let them come together.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Lads I dont know if it has been mentioned in this thread, but from the OP's reddit thread, the last story is seriously mindblowing and seriously f'ed up!

DAFUQ!!!

Ah i googled it (took me a while of serious thought tho after reading that :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There's a bit more of the story left out from the first one.

There's a bit more of the story left out from the first one.

I know I have read a few now!

For some reason as it was posted in here (things that have happened to "you")
    I was wondering was there some legend I hadnt heard about ha!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

A woman heard her name being whispered "NAA-TASH-SHAA".She looked at the baby monitor to find her son like this.

http://i.imgur.com/Nn9R1nL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

A woman heard her name being whispered "NAA-TASH-SHAA".She looked at the baby monitor to find her son like this.

http://i.imgur.com/Nn9R1nL.jpg

I'm afraid to click that link...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I'm afraid to click that link...

Aah go on.You know you want to.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

Aah go on.You know you want to.;)

In the morning when it's bright and I'm not awake alone! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

dr gonzo wrote: »
    I was browsing Reddit and came across a thread like this that had some interesting stories. Obviously, as this is After Hours, and not Paranormal, they dont have be ghost infested stories but I'm sure many boardsies have interesting stories of their own? (or this thread will be buried in half an hour...)

Bit of a cop-out but until I can think of some of my own I've included some from the Reddit page. Obviously it goes without saying that they may be entirely untrue, but good reads nonetheless.

I thought marines never leave someone behind, hoorah and all that craic :D:D

****ed up story tho if its true!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Yeah but what happens if they nuke the hall? i always wonder about these storys lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Loosely been following this thread, haven't had anything significantly creepy or unnerving happen to myself.

Thought I would share one that happened to my wife's friend the other day.

This lady is a mother of a 3 year old girl that was sitting at the dinner table. The child whispered in her mothers ear

"I loved you when you were a child"

Mother: "Really did you know me when I was a child?"

Child: "Yes I have been here before, I'm your grandmother!"

Mother was slightly distressed over this.

I've heard this story any number of times going back years now. It's like the default spooky kid story that everyone's friend or relative has had happen. Not buying it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dorado

I’ve been reading this thread through, am on page 100 now, thinking it’s the best thread ever.... and thought I’d bump it up with some stories of my own, so that there will be more for me to read by the time I get to the current last page!

This isn’t paranormal, unless you read something else into it, but it shook me up and is a lasting memory.

In 1991 I was eleven. It was a bright Sunday morning in August, and I was at Mass in my small rural village, up the top of the church to get Communion like everyone else there.

I stood at the altar in between other people, and watched as the priest came down the line of people towards where I was.

Next thing I knew, I was admiring all the colours, the reds and blues and greens and yellows that were swirling around the church and everything was suddenly very colourful indeed. Oddly so.

I noticed then that there were three priests instead of one, and all serving Communion, and headed slowly towards me.
    I remember being very cold all of a sudden, and my one panicked thought was this:
    Which one do I receive Communion from? I didn’t want to be rude. What if they all came at me at the same time? Which one to look at? Surely there was a right and a wrong way to do it, and I was a bit of a shy, nervous youngster, always sure that I’d get it wrong. To this day I can see those three priests as clear as anything, slowly making their way down the line.

Luckily for me, next thing I knew I was outside in the sun, being propped up by two villagers who’d caught me before I fell, and thanks to them I didn’t hit the stone floor of the church with my young head.

I fainted, that was all, and I suppose my moment with the three priests was a weird precursor warning that I wasn’t quite right, but I didn’t know that. I’d never fainted before, and I haven’t since that day, in front of a few hundred people.

I always think of the way it happened, not as an ordinary blacking out, but as a dilemma of which priest to look at? What should I do, what should I do?

Of course, you could see it this way: what if the passing out was just the best way to stop me seeing the three priests, who I wasn’t supposed to see in the first place? I saw something I shouldn’t have... I wasn’t a bit dizzy or anything I’d associate with what I know of fainting. Maybe the fainting was a result of the seeing the priests and not, as I’ve thought for twenty odd years, the other way around...
    this thread has got me thinking.....

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

Didn't read this thread in a while and it always brings back memories when I do. A few years ago I was asleep in bed with my girlfriend, I was half dreaming and sitting up on my elbow looking up at the window next to the bed. The blind was down but a little bit lit up as there is a street light right outside the house.
    To me I was dreaming I was inside a shop and looking up at the window and seeing siloetts of people pass by.

My girlfriend woke up and asked why I was sitting up and I said " I'm just letting them pass", she said letting who pass? I replied " the shadow people", she immediately shook me and I woke up and just told me what I said. It freaked us both out. Apparently the shadow people are an actual thing that can be evil or nice, I like to think the ones I saw were the nice ones. Not really creepy but scary at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The inner pane of glass in the bathroom window smashed on Sunday night. Woke everyone up. I've since googled it and it can happen with temperature changes between the inner and outer panes but it was creepy enough at 3am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 dorado

I hope this won't be too much to read, but this too has stayed with me.

In the late 90s, I was eighteen or nineteen years old. I was waitressing at a family restaurant on the outskirts of a big city.

Just a little background: I had been working there for a couple of years by that time. It was the sort of high quality establishment that had a bar attached, a big lobby, and so on; it could seat about one hundred people when full. Traditional food, full meals, and for the most part, traditional customers. On All-Ireland match days, we’d be mad busy, and it might get a bit rowdy and whatnot, but other than that it was a place you’d come to to have candles on the tables, starters, main course, dessert, coffee, wine, and generally stay a while.

One particular Saturday night, I was the only one serving meals at about 10 pm or so; the dining room was more or less empty so I wasn’t rushed off my feet. I did have a couple of supervisors working with me but they were not out on the floor serving/cleaning/seating people like I was.

I was wiping a table in one corner, and three people walked in. A couple, and who I guessed was their daughter, not much older than me. So maybe they were in their forties or fifties. Nicely dressed up for the evening. I stopped wiping, walked over, asked them if they wanted a smoking or non smoking table, seated them, put menus in front of them. As you do.

Went and fetched them a jug of water. Went back to my cleaning.

Soon the couple looked ready to order (they were making eye contact with me) and even though the girl had gone to the ladies’, I went over with my little notebook and pen. Scribbled down his order, her order. Everything was normal.

There was a pause.
    I said, and I’ll never forget this, “do you want to wait for her to come back, or do you already know what she wants to order?”
    I thought it was a perfectly reasonable thing to ask, but I got a puzzled look from both of them.

I think it was the man who asked me to repeat.
    I did, and they brushed me off, “ah, no, no, it’s just us tonight.”
    Now, the thing to do would have been to listen to them, and walk away into the kitchen and put their order through and forget it.

Instead, stubborn me stood there, wanting to be sure they understood what I was asking, to avoid confusion later.
    I said something like, “is she not eating, then?” or similar.
    “No, no, we’re by ourselves, thanks.”
    And then I was getting annoyed that even if she didn’t want to eat, with them they could at least acknowledge my acknowledgment of her presence!
    I said (and I was never, before or after, so brisk with a customer; in that place you could get into awful trouble for being cheeky) “okay then, but I was only asking about the person who was with you. That’s fine, though.”

Then they looked at me properly for the first time, and asked me what I was talking about.
    So I said about the person who was with them when they came in, but at that point I took the order and went away, deciding not to spend an evening discussing it and looking silly or whatever. (Too late, I think!)

I spent the next ten minutes silently putting bread rolls on their table, wiping other tables, serving the few customers we had at other tables, and generally not engaging too much with the couple.

The daughter did not return so I shrugged it off. I had to.
    Before I brought their meals out, they called me over. They were both looking a little bit troubled, and he was definitely pale now.

The woman was telling him not to tell me, just to leave it. But he insisted.
    (Then as he was telling me, she cut in ;) to tell the whole thing.)
    Apparently, they regularly went out to a restaurant every Saturday night and since their daughter was born, she had always been with them.
    This night, for the first ever, she was out with friends instead, and they were missing her terribly.
    They said that: “we’re missing her a lot tonight.”

I didn’t know what to say to that, but they told me that what convinced them I saw her, it was my absolute insistence, that I wouldn’t leave it alone, to the point I was nearly rude.
    Because I’d seen her, knew she was a young woman, likely to be their daughter etc. I didn’t just get a vague idea of three people.
    The couple had seemed like the type that would stay for dessert, the works.
    He got up and went quickly out to the lobby to make a phone call halfway or so through their meal.

I got busy and when I looked again, they had paid and left right after the main course. They never said goodbye ;) or said what the outcome of the phone call was... but to this day, I have always wondered if she was all right, and in any case, how did I see her come in and sit with them as real as both of them?

I was not scared, I should add that. At no point. I wasn’t threatened, wasn’t chilled or anything. I just wondered... how. All these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

dorado wrote:
    The woman was telling him not to tell me, just to leave it. But he insisted. (Then as he was telling me, she cut in  to tell the whole thing.) Apparently, they regularly went out to a restaurant every Saturday night and since their daughter was born, she had always been with them. This night, for the first ever, she was out with friends instead, and they were missing her terribly. They said that: “we’re missing her a lot tonight.â€[/quote

my guess is likely that the girl died and you saw her ghost. it would explain the man going pale and as for the "out with her mates" line, I think that was a lie so as not to make you feel terrible for asking about and reminding them of their daughter. perhaps they were in denial about her death and made am excuse so as to avoid acknowledging she was gone for good, instead simply gone out for the night. what a story though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

I posted this in the Ghosts thread but figured it applies here too! I'm forever trying to come up with logical explanations for things but sometimes there just isn't one.

We have two cats and have litter trays for them indoors. One of the litter trays is kept half way up the stairs where there's a small landing area (where the stairs4u.com text is in the image below). One night my mam, my sister and her boyfriend who were all asleep, woke up to the sound of something large thudding down the stairs and crashing against the living room door at around 3:15am. They all came out onto the main landing to see what had happened, assuming the cats had knocked something over. Instead, they found a fair amount of clean cat litter scattered across the bottom part of the stairs with nothing at the end to account for the noise they heard. The litter tray was in the same spot as always with litter inside. Whatever they heard falling fell with such a force that it carried some of the litter all the way across the living room even with the door closed. They were all half asleep and didn't really know what to make of it at the time but the more we tried to figure out what made the noise and how the litter got out of the box, the more baffled we were. Any ideas?

open-ustairs.jpg

A few weeks back, there was just myself and my mam in the house. I was drying my hair in my room which is at the front of the house, and I also had the radio on in the background. I could hear my mam calling me from downstairs presumably about dinner but figured she'd realize I couldn't hear her properly with the hair dryer and music going so I didn't answer. I finished drying my hair about a minute or so later and turned off the radio only to hear my mam opening the bathroom door which is upstairs at the back of the house. Surprised she was upstairs, I was about to ask her what she was calling me for when she said "Were you calling me?". She then said she'd just finished having a bath and was letting the water drain so she didn't answer because she thought I'd realize she was in the bath and mightn't hear me (I know, like mother like daughter in terms of not replying!). I heard my mams voice calling me and she heard my voice shouting "mam" from downstairs. All the windows and doors were locked - no one else home.

A good few months ago I had a horrible nightmare about an older scraggly looking woman who was wearing black and had grey hair but I couldn't properly make out her face. I do remember she looked angry though. I can't remember exactly what happened in the dream but she grabbed my arm and I woke up. I screamed and was in my bed with my arm out but she was still there grabbing onto my wrist. I was trying to convince myself that I was still dreaming and slowly she let go and kind of drifted away while fading into the corner of my room. Even writing this I know it sounds so ridiculous but I was absolutely terrified and it felt so real. Definitely my imagination merging the nightmare and real life but bloody hell, frightening all the same.

My aunt had a similar experience to my nightmare actually while staying in an old hotel/bnb and she'd be the least likely person to exaggerate a story like this. She said she went to bed and woke up in the middle of the night to see a man in a military uniform and a woman in old fashioned clothes at the end of her bed. She thought she was dreaming etc and sat up to wake herself up properly but they were still there. They eventually faded away and she was just frozen in shock. In the morning she talked to someone who worked there and asked what the history of the place was and of course it was used for the lads in the local army barracks back in the day (I'll have to find out exactly what but pretty weird considering she didn't know this before she stayed - it's just some normal place in the countryside).

I'm sure I'll remember more odd things if I talk to my sister as she's convinced we've a ghost but that's off the top of my head anyway. Any suggestions about the cat thing are more than welcome! I've gone over every scenario that I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

scdublin wrote: »
    A good few months ago I had a horrible nightmare about an older scraggly looking woman who was wearing black and had grey hair but I couldn't properly make out her face. I do remember she looked angry though. I can't remember exactly what happened in the dream but she grabbed my arm and I woke up. I screamed and was in my bed with my arm out but she was still there grabbing onto my wrist. I was trying to convince myself that I was still dreaming and slowly she let go and kind of drifted away while fading into the corner of my room. Even writing this I know it sounds so ridiculous but I was absolutely terrified and it felt so real. Definitely my imagination merging the nightmare and real life but bloody hell, frightening all the same.

My aunt had a similar experience to my nightmare actually while staying in an old hotel/bnb and she'd be the least likely person to exaggerate a story like this. She said she went to bed and woke up in the middle of the night to see a man in a military uniform and a woman in old fashioned clothes at the end of her bed. She thought she was dreaming etc and sat up to wake herself up properly but they were still there. They eventually faded away and she was just frozen in shock. In the morning she talked to someone who worked there and asked what the history of the place was and of course it was used for the lads in the local army barracks back in the day (I'll have to find out exactly what but pretty weird considering she didn't know this before she stayed - it's just some normal place in the countryside).
    These are textbook sleep paralysis descriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

kylith wrote: »
    These are textbook sleep paralysis descriptions.

I imagined it was something along those lines but I could move and she sat up in the bed so she could too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement