Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Tonnes of stuff. Here's the most recent - I was just on Facebook, literally seconds ago, and noticed a group for fans of 'gonzo journalism and Hunter S. Thompson. I clicked on one of my tabs to check boards.ie and the first thing I saw was a link to this thread, created by Dr. Gonzo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Tonnes of stuff. Here's the most recent - I was just on Facebook, literally seconds ago, and noticed a group for fans of 'gonzo journalism and Hunter S. Thompson. I clicked on one of my tabs to check boards.ie and the first thing I saw was a link to this thread, created by Dr. Gonzo.

It's weird when coincidences like that happen. Last week I was browsing the online 1911 census, and found my great grandparents house etc on it. When I looked at the date the form was picked up from the house, it was 104 years to the very day that was in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

73Cat wrote: »
    It's weird when coincidences like that happen. Last week I was browsing the online 1911 census, and found my great grandparents house etc on it. When I looked at the date the form was picked up from the house, it was 104 years to the very day that was in it!

Like when you think of a phrase or word that you rarely hear and then turn on the telly a few hours later and someone uses it. I find that so weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

73Cat wrote: »

My mother passed away a few years ago and she had a friend who lived in another county who we stayed in contact with for a while then despite our best efforts, we didn't have contact for a while. One night I just got to thinking about her and wondering if she was dead or alive and I decided to look at the RIP website for the particularly county and at least that would tell me if she was dead.

She died that very day.

I nearly froze with the shock,just staring at the death notice and reading it over and over again to make sure it was the right person and it was. Not so much shock with the fact she was dead but that I had been thinking of her the day she died. I wonder if it was my late mother prompting me, so I could go to her funeral, otherwise I would never have known she had passed away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

There's a term for these type of incidents, synchronicity, myself and a friend encounter frequent cases of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

There's a term for these type of incidents, synchronicity, myself and a friend encounter frequent cases of it

yea id be thinking of a song and then that song is played on the radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

When I was a child about 8, which would have been early nineties my Dad and Uncle brought me and my cousin fishing. We were staying in a caravan park beside some lake, might have been Lough Arrow or something.

Anyway there was a little shop at the camping site and one morning my cousin and I went there to buy little polystyrene aeroplanes that they sold. When we got there it wasn't open yet so we sat outside it and waited.

A car pulled up on the road in front of the shop, and there was a woman and two men in it. The woman was dressed as a nurse and one of the men as a doctor, the other had bandages on his arms and head. Looking back now they were possibly in fancy dress.

The woman asked if we needed a lift and we were saying, No thanks we're waiting for the shop, but she kept asking us to get into the car but we were saying no thanks, we're staying in the campsite and it's back the way you came so you're going in the wrong direction etc. She was getting a bit more insistent and looked as though she was about to get out of the car. Just then the shopkeeper opened the door and we ran inside telling him about these people trying to get us into their car. The car sped off.

I often wonder whether that was a lucky escape from some weird peados or what might've happened if the shop didn't open just at that moment. Creepy as ****.

My mother passed away a few years ago and she had a friend who lived in another county who we stayed in contact with for a while then despite our best efforts, we didn't have contact for a while. One night I just got to thinking about her and wondering if she was dead or alive and I decided to look at the RIP website for the particularly county and at least that would tell me if she was dead.

She died that very day.

I nearly froze with the shock,just staring at the death notice and reading it over and over again to make sure it was the right person and it was. Not so much shock with the fact she was dead but that I had been thinking of her the day she died. I wonder if it was my late mother prompting me, so I could go to her funeral, otherwise I would never have known she had passed away.

Oh God I got goosebumps reading that !! I've possibly posted this before somewhere, so I may be repeating myself . When I was a child my grandparents and their neighbours used to joke with me that they were all going to die on the same day, and go up to heaven in a wardrobe. I used to think this was hilarious :). My Grandad died several years later, and when his coffin was overnight in the church , another coffin was there also, over to the side. When we went over it was Mrs Power, she had died on the very same day as him . I'd say he was raging, as he always said she yakked too much, and used try to avoid her :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I've only read the first few hundred posts but I'll get through them all eventually, some of them are really unnerving. I think when we're younger we expect to grow out of out fear of monsters, then as we grow older we realise monsters are real, they're just other people so the fear never really goes away.

I have a few stories to share but I'll not put them all up at once, I'm not a terribly talented story teller and I don't want to bore people. My favourites on here so far (from the first 28 pages or so) are The time traveller that met himself in the field and "The crutches". I like the idea of naming the story so I might name some of mine.

It may have been mentioned already but the stories about people getting lost in fields and not being able to find a way out......... they would have stepped on a stray sod. It's a patch of ground that was cursed by the faeries. Supposedly if you turn your jacket inside out you can find your way out. Local legends have it that there's one just up my road a fee mile and another in the woods where I do all my running.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

That time I got Stigmata I was freaking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

kilkenny12 wrote: »
    Like when you think of a phrase or word that you rarely hear and then turn on the telly a few hours later and someone uses it. I find that so weird.

This freaks me out and happens to me far too often.

Only earlier this week, out of nowhere a thought popped into my head: "I wonder what happened to Lee Byrne (Welsh rugby player)". I opened Facebook the next day, and top of my news feed was the Rugby Banter page with news that Lee Byrne was retiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

The first odd experience that springs to mind is about an Uncle of my Mother, let's call him Johnny here.

Uncle Johnny;

I only met Uncle Johnny once, I can't have been more than about 10, he called to our house one night and stayed for hours telling funny stories. We were mad about him straight away. He seemed really old at the time but he was probably only around 60. As far as I can remember he lived alone, his family had all grown up and moved out and his wife had either left him or died. We didn't know it at the time, because kids don't really understand these things, but Johnny was an alcoholic.

One night about 6 months after we met him he was doing his usual walk home from the pub, they say he had been in great form. I don't know what came over him but instead of passing the lake he walked out into it and drowned himself. We barely knew him but were devastated when we found out.

The river rescue people and a group of locals spent a few days trying to find him, with no luck. On the night of the second day I had a dream so clear I can still remember it perfectly over 25 years later. It was like I was in the lake, just at the surface of the water, I saw his body float to the surface and drift to the reeds at the lakes edge.

I got up the next morning and told my mother I knew where the body was and mentioned the dream. She basically told me to stop talking crap and got pretty upset because they had been close when she was younger.

I headed off to school and when I got home that evening my mother was very quiet. I figured I was still in trouble so I didn't say anything. It was only when dinner was over that she told me they had found Johnny that morning. His body was in the reeds at the bank of the lake. They had checked there before and said that the body had moved over night. He was probably moving at the exact time I was having the dream.

Now I'm not claiming it was anything more than a dream and a coincidence. It freaked me out at the time though and that dream is probably one of the clearest memories I'll ever have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

That's so weird, I just learned about Baader-Meinhof the other day and now it pops up here :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Mint Aero wrote: »
    That's so weird, I just learned about Baader-Meinhof the other day and now it pops up here :confused:

I saved a mint aero cake recipe the other day and then u posted here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

My friend was once walking down a fairly long lane towards his house when our mates were meant to be waiting for him. They had actually walked up towards his direction. He could see them at the bottom of the lane (about 300 metres away) and waved. They were pretty frantic and shouting. It wasn't until he got down to them that he found why. There was some lad running towards him and only turned back when he got rather near to my friend.

It could have been someone who was running for a train or whatever and remembered he forgot something but I'd still be freaked out if it happened to me.

Another one, that isn't that freaky, was when I was about 10 years old. My mam and dad had gone out and my brother wasn't in either. I was trying to sleep (I never could when on my own, I'd always just wait for my parents to come home) and heard a radio come on in the other room. I rang my dad and told him how freaked out I was and he understandably told me to stop worrying and turn it off. I ran into my brother's room as quick as I could, turned it off and bolted back to my bed. Turns out it had been on a timer, could my brother be that crued?! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I had completely forgotten about my weird/creepy experience until it was mentioned yesterday at home. In my family it's thought of as the "miracle" I was involved in, it still befuddles me a bit because I genuinely don't know what happened.

When I was 10 I went on a family holiday in Croatia and one Sunday evening was brought to mass by my mum in Medugorje a small town where our lady was said to have appeared. We were late and were ushered up into the third row down from the altar with me sitting on the aisle seat. There were several priests on the altar but it was all in another language so I wasn't paying any attention,just looking around at people and daydreaming etc as I usually did in mass .I remember there being a nice statue of our lady to the side of the altar that I was looking at.
    To me it was yet another ordinary mass until afterwards when lots of people starting swarming around us asking if I was ok, saying they'd prayed for me, telling me I was brave and great etc. I had no idea what they were talking about and my mum was not one bit happy and in a mad rush to get out of there as fast as possible, I asked what were these people talking but she said she didn't know. As far as I was concerned nothing had happened at all so I was happy to forget them.

Over the course of the next few days people from the hotel who'd been at mass were still coming up asking if I was ok etc. My mum asked me questions about it like "what did you think of that place the other night etc?" to try and prompt some conversation about it but I was just my usual self and mentioned nothing strange.
    Eventually she told me that at the end of the mass a priest had come off the altar to do a blessing with the host. When he did a woman right in front of me had got up and violently attacked him. There was lots of screaming and people running to get out of the front seats and it took several men to subdue this woman. I was probably 3 or 4 feet away from it but my mum said that during it I remained completely impassive, I was just looking over at the statue of our lady and she had tried to pull me away but I hadn't moved. She said to look at me it was as though it wasn't happening at all, my facial expression didn't change once during it but I didn't look like I was in a trance or anything.It lasted around 5 minutes she thought and she said herself she had never witnessed anything like the attack,the woman had a weapon and was walloping and biting the people trying to fend her off and making a very strange awful guttural kind screaming all through it. In the end she was carried out by 10 people,still screaming. I'm not sure whether the attack or me completely not reacting to it had weirded my mum out more. My mum told me not to talk to anyone over there about it and to anyone who asked to say I dont want to talk about it.

Anyway when we got home it turned out there had been articles in the papers over here about it that said the woman had been believed by locals to be possessed by the devil. People on holidays over there who'd witnessed it were on the radio (whatever the Joe duffy show was then) talking about it, very upset, saying the screaming was inhuman,that the woman was shouting satanic thing and that her seemingly super human strength had been terrifying. They also mentioned it taking ten people to subdue her and her being carried out.

Still to this day I remember absolutely nothing about it. I remember an ordinary boring mass. I was a very oversensitive child and if I'd seen such a thing I would've been terribly frightened and upset. My mum considers it a miracle, she said she prayed during it to protect me and when she went back to the hotel she'd been distraught thinking I was going to be traumatised for life. I cannot explain at all what happened myself but I'm grateful it happened as it did. I feel like it was some sort of protection that I just didn't experience it at all. Also I feel lucky I wasn't massively freaked out by it when I heard about it when I got home. I who had been terrified by Disneys Christmas Carol!

So my little miracle, the miracle where absolutely nothing at all happened. :)

Incidentally, I imagine the woman was mentally unwell, the possessed stuff was in papers over here and probably because she was shouting satanic things, I've no idea what people over there actually thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I had completely forgotten about my weird/creepy experience until it was mentioned yesterday at home. In my family it's thought of as the "miracle" I was involved in, it still befuddles me a bit because I genuinely don't know what happened.

When I was 10 I went on a family holiday in Croatia and one Sunday evening was brought to mass by my mum in Medugorje a small town where our lady was said to have appeared. We were late and were ushered up into the third row down from the altar with me sitting on the aisle seat. There were several priests on the altar but it was all in another language so I wasn't paying any attention,just looking around at people and daydreaming etc as I usually did in mass .I remember there being a nice statue of our lady to the side of the altar that I was looking at.
    To me it was yet another ordinary mass until afterwards when lots of people starting swarming around us asking if I was ok, saying they'd prayed for me, telling me I was brave and great etc. I had no idea what they were talking about and my mum was not one bit happy and in a mad rush to get out of there as fast as possible, I asked what were these people talking but she said she didn't know. As far as I was concerned nothing had happened at all so I was happy to forget them.

Over the course of the next few days people from the hotel who'd been at mass were still coming up asking if I was ok etc. My mum asked me questions about it like "what did you think of that place the other night etc?" to try and prompt some conversation about it but I was just my usual self and mentioned nothing strange.
    Eventually she told me that at the end of the mass a priest had come off the altar to do a blessing with the host. When he did a woman right in front of me had got up and violently attacked him. There was lots of screaming and people running to get out of the front seats and it took several men to subdue this woman. I was probably 3 or 4 feet away from it but my mum said that during it I remained completely impassive, I was just looking over at the statue of our lady and she had tried to pull me away but I hadn't moved. She said to look at me it was as though it wasn't happening at all, my facial expression didn't change once during it but I didn't look like I was in a trance or anything.It lasted around 5 minutes she thought and she said herself she had never witnessed anything like the attack,the woman had a weapon and was walloping and biting the people trying to fend her off and making a very strange awful guttural kind screaming all through it. In the end she was carried out by 10 people,still screaming. I'm not sure whether the attack or me completely not reacting to it had weirded my mum out more. My mum told me not to talk to anyone over there about it and to anyone who asked to say I dont want to talk about it.

Anyway when we got home it turned out there had been articles in the papers over here about it that said the woman had been believed by locals to be possessed by the devil. People on holidays over there who'd witnessed it were on the radio (whatever the Joe duffy show was then) talking about it, very upset, saying the screaming was inhuman,that the woman was shouting satanic thing and that her seemingly super human strength had been terrifying. They also mentioned it taking ten people to subdue her and her being carried out.

Still to this day I remember absolutely nothing about it. I remember an ordinary boring mass. I was a very oversensitive child and if I'd seen such a thing I would've been terribly frightened and upset. My mum considers it a miracle, she said she prayed during it to protect me and when she went back to the hotel she'd been distraught thinking I was going to be traumatised for life. I cannot explain at all what happened myself but I'm grateful it happened as it did. I feel like it was some sort of protection that I just didn't experience it at all. Also I feel lucky I wasn't massively freaked out by it when I heard about it when I got home. I who had been terrified by Disneys Christmas Carol!

So my little miracle, the miracle where absolutely nothing at all happened. :)

Incidentally, I imagine the woman was mentally unwell, the possessed stuff was in papers over here and probably because she was shouting satanic things, I've no idea what people over there actually thought.

Could have been a vocation. Have you ever thought of joining the priesthood? ;)

Could have been a vocation. Have you ever thought of joining the priesthood? ;)

Hehe I'm pretty sure it wasn't, I'm not male:)
    Religious life wouldn't be for me anyway but still, IF it was divine intervention it was appreciated.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

That was a good story :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Still to this day I remember absolutely nothing about it. I remember an ordinary boring mass. I was a very oversensitive child and if I'd seen such a thing I would've been terribly frightened and upset.

I think you might have repressed it. The brain of a child is an extraordinary thing. I had a medical procedure done as a 5 year old that is normally done under full anaesthetic , but they didn't have time and panicked. My mam said, the state I was in from it, there's no way I simply "don't remember" it, especially given the fact I remember tonnes of other stuff that was happening around that time. So we're assuming I repressed it! I'm ok with having no memory of it, incidentally :D

I think you might have repressed it. The brain of a child is an extraordinary thing. I had a medical procedure done as a 5 year old that is normally done under full anaesthetic , but they didn't have time and panicked. My mam said, the state I was in from it, there's no way I simply "don't remember" it, especially given the fact I remember tonnes of other stuff that was happening around that time. So we're assuming I repressed it! I'm ok with having no memory of it, incidentally :D

Yeah I've wondered that too sometimes but the fact that I was 10 and completely impassive during it and didn't react at all doesn't fit with it exactly I don't think. I guess I'll never know what happened but like yourself I'm glad it went as it did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sounds a bit like a petit mal seizure.

The phantom jogger.

This one's short and not at all scary to read about. It was a little on the scary side to experience it.

I keep fairly active, walking, running, cycling and swimming. Most of my walking, running and some cycling is done around various woods and lakes in the Cavan/Meath area.

It was around November 2014 and I was going for a late evening walk around the woods and castle lake outside of town, it was pretty dark when I got there and I didn't have a torch, it was very dark in amongst the trees.

I was about 1km in and I heard someone running behind me, I stepped off to one side and kept walking, they came along, spoke and went on their way. A few minutes later I heard another person coming along at a good enough pace, I could hear the gravel crunching under their feet. Again I kept to one side but kept walking. They didn't catch up so I stopped and looked back, there was a bit of a straight stretch behind me and it was bright enough that I could've easily made out an outline of someone but not features. The Sound of a runner came closer, it was right on the stretch of path I was looking at but there was no-one there. Nobody ever passed me and the sound just died away.

I was a little freaked out but kept going, just around the bend I saw, off to my left and above the path, set amongst the trees, a familiar low wall and on the opposite side of the path the sign pointing to it "The Brothers Graves"

I definitely increased my pace for the rest of the walk and haven't forgotten my torch since.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

A few weeks ago I went for a stay in Castle Leslie. After we had eaten we decided to take a walk around the grounds, so we headed up towards the old stables. As we approached a sign with a map of the grounds a jeep was coming towards us on the road so we stepped in out of its way to look at the map.

As we stood there my vision started to go funny but I thought I'd just push on with the walk because I thought it'll just pass. But as we set off along the trail again it seemed to be getting worse the further we went and I began to feel a bit drained. I was telling my boyfriend what I was experiencing because I felt it was intensifying, when suddenly I could see two small children dressed from a different era, a boy and a girl excitedly jumping around like they were happy to see me, but this 'vision' was happening in a sunny day and in reality it was actually drizzly and overcast. So at that point I said I need to turn back. The strangest thing was that as soon as I passed the sign with the map on it where I had began to feel this sensation suddenly I could see perfectly again and felt absolutely fine.

My boyfriend was trying to get me to ask in the hotel if anything weird happened there but I wasn't too keen on seeming like an oddball to a total stranger :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

shuffles88 wrote: »
    The strangest thing was that as soon as I passed the sign with the map on it where I had began to feel this sensation suddenly I could see perfectly again and felt absolutely fine.

You can't just leave it at that, Shuffles. That sounds amazing and two kids looking happy to see you is not that intimidating. Go back and give it another go, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease and come back and tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

You can't just leave it at that, Shuffles. That sounds amazing and two kids looking happy to see you is not that intimidating. Go back and give it another go, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease and come back and tell us.

If you want to pay for me to stay in Castle Leslie again, no problem!:P

It wasn't at all intimidating, nor was I frightened it just made me feel unwell like all my energy was being drained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

shuffles88 wrote: »
    If you want to pay for me to stay in Castle Leslie again, no problem!:P

It wasn't at all intimidating, nor was I frightened it just made me feel unwell like all my energy was being drained.

You'll get used to it, and it doesn't cost anything to trespass. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Bumping this thread in case anyone doesn't know about it but has a story to tell! Best thread ever!

I have more stories but I'm waiting for others to tell a few first so it doesn't look like I'm taking the place over.

One very quick and not terribly freaky one. I have a three year old daughter and she's told me a few times that she remembers being a big girl before she was a baby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sweetsugar

In 1991, l was going out with a boy named Sean. l used to have a terrble feeling that he was going to die young. We hads plans to go travelling, get engaged etc but l knew it was never going to happen. l never had that kind of feeling before and l even told my best friend about it and she told me not to worry about it. Always had that fear about when it was going to happen but l didn't let it takeover my life as l used to tell myself not to be so ridculous.
    After xmas in 1991, Sean's father was going to the hospital for a bypass. Before he went in, an old woman living next door to them had told him she had seen a black hearse driving up their lane, he said he was at home all day and saw no black hearse. Apparently it was a sign of death in the family.
    Of course Sean and his family was concern about this and were afraid that the father was going to die. l was concern about him but was worried that it could be Sean too. l only told my best friend about this
    Father had his operation and came out fine but the family were still concern about him. Until Feb 1992 Sean had an accident and died from it. l was with him when it happened and couldn't not believed it had happened.
    l knew he would die young but not that soon. And to this day, l'll always remember that terrible feeling and the old woman.

Now l'm married with kids and thankfully, l don't get that feeling for my family. l would get it about someone if they going to die, but that doesn't happens too often. l hated it when it happens. l would never say it to anybody about it as l was afraid they think l was a freak
    And also, if l see a stanger, l usually get the feeling that l will get to know them in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 amie lee

Just got into bed 1 night and felt something touching my leg on quilt cover jumped up but in dark checked if was baby in cot next to me it wasn't. I didn't get up still think of it every day have no answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

amie lee wrote: »
    Just got into bed 1 night and felt something touching my leg on quilt cover jumped up but in dark checked if was baby in cot next to me it wasn't. I didn't get up still think of it every day have no answer

So where was the baby?

My OH was up working on the roof of the shed, and I got this sudden, really strong feeling that he was going to fall. His phone rang, so I answered it and took it out to him. As he went to get on the ladder he lost his footing and fell off the shed, it was only lucky the wheelie bin broke his fall somewhat, or he would have hit his head off of a stone wall. He ended up in A&E, thankfully not too badly hurt. I laughed about it after as it reminded me of that priest off Father Ted who always gets a phone call at the wrong time :). It was really horrible how the thought came into my head though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Thankfully nothing really creepy has ever happened to me,

but my father told me a creepy story that happened to him when he was about 10 years old that I will share, that still has him puzzled to this day.

It was in the early 1960's, around Christmas time, my father and grand father both farmers living in rural co. Leitrim.

It was a snowy day and there was a few inches of snow on the ground.

Anyway one day a strange sight appeared in the distance from the back of their farm house, it turned out to be an oldish man carrying a bag, he came across the field at the back of the house.

My grandfather brought this man into his house and he had dinner with my dads family.

My grandfather being the inquisitive type tried to illicit information from the man, according to my aunt she said she can remember my grandfather asking the man 'and how was your Christmas?' To which the man replied 'it was great and he never had a better one', while at the same time eating the dinner my grandmother had made for him.

After dinner he left, this time he continued on down a farm lane of ours in front of the house this time, he would have come from a west direction and progressed East.

After the man had left my father told me, he when out down the road to see if he could see the man going down our farm lane which he did, he was just about going out of eyesight at this point, my father then noticed this man left no footprints in the snow.

Over the next few days that passed, my grand father asked every neighbour in the area did they see the man that called to our house after describing him to them. No one had reported any sightings of this man.

It gives me goosebumps sometimes I think about it and it is very hard to make logical sense of it,

I can only assume it was a spirit that called to my grandfathers house that day, maybe it was a previous owner of our farm. Anyway it was a strange incident that both my dad and aunt can re call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I can only assume it was a spirit that called to my grandfathers house that day, maybe it was a previous owner of our farm. Anyway it was a strange incident that both my dad and aunt can re call.

I didn't think spirits ate dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 amie lee

Baby was in cot sound asleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

It was summer 1987 and I was 6 years old.
    A group of us (6 or 7) were playing soccer in the local park, I remember I had the Everton kit on.

After an hour or so, it began to get misty, not quite raining yet.
    We decided to abandon the game.

On our way home, we noticed that the protective shield for a large lamp post had been vandalised with the wiring and electronics exposed, along with the yellow hazard warning signs too.

A friend dared me to touch a wire and I stupidly agreed.
    As I went to examine the wiring, I felt myself enveloped with a very bright blue light.
    I remember looking at my arms which glowed with this blue light.

Frightened, I backed away from the lamp post and ran home as quickly as possible.

It's something I can't explain.

Some would argue that it was a guardian angel preventing me from touching the wires but I don't believe that.

All I can say is that light blue has been my favourite colour ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

My grandfather being the inquisitive type tried to illicit information from the man, according to my aunt she said she can remember my grandfather asking the man 'and how was your Christmas?' To which the man replied 'it was great and he never had a better one', while at the same time eating the dinner my grandmother had made for him.

Your grandmother did the right thing for the poor old chap, whether he was from this world or another one. What a fantastic story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

May have shared this one, a lot, lot earlier in the thread, but I don't think I did as I was reminded of the story by my sister a few weeks back.

My mother, unfortunately passed away the January before my Leaving Cert years ago. The orals started in March I believe and I didn't hold up any great hope for getting decent results, I was concentrating on English, Irish and German and resitting the rest the following year when my head was clearer. Needless to say I was nervous going into the Orals anyway and Irish was first up (I think?!).
    The room being used was the Vice Prinicpal's office which was up a flight of stairs, after being called I turned to go up and felt a little push on my lower back as if someone was guiding/reassuring me. Didnt think much about it, just instantly felt calm and relaxed.

I like to think it was her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

valoren wrote: »
    It was summer 1987 and I was 6 years old.
    A group of us (6 or 7) were playing soccer in the local park, I remember I had the Everton kit on.

After an hour or so, it began to get misty, not quite raining yet.
    We decided to abandon the game.

On our way home, we noticed that the protective shield for a large lamp post had been vandalised with the wiring and electronics exposed, along with the yellow hazard warning signs too.

A friend dared me to touch a wire and I stupidly agreed.
    As I went to examine the wiring, I felt myself enveloped with a very bright blue light.
    I remember looking at my arms which glowed with this blue light.

Frightened, I backed away from the lamp post and ran home as quickly as possible.

It's something I can't explain.

Some would argue that it was a guardian angel preventing me from touching the wires but I don't believe that.

All I can say is that light blue has been my favourite colour ever since.
    It sounds like it could have been St. Elmo's Fire - luminous plasma being created by a high electrical discharge, possibly created by the mixing of electricity from the wires with the moisture in the air. Sailors considered it a sign of protection from their patron saint in stormy weather.

valoren wrote: »
    I remember I had the Everton kit on.
    I remember looking at my arms which glowed with this blue light...

By any chance, was it a long sleeved Everton top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

By any chance, was it a long sleeved Everton top?

Short Sleeve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

kilkenny12 wrote: »

Many years ago, whilst lying on a morrocan beach happily basking in the sunshine under the influence of LSD a word popped into my head. I had no idea what it meant, infact it was French (I don't speak a word of French) the word was "ennui". I liked how it sounded and basically repeated it silently in my head for hours (lsd is funny like that:D)
    Holiday ended and home we went, got in to work the following Monday and opened my emails only to be greeted by a weeks worth of "word of the day" emails - word for one of the days was "ennui -a feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement".
    Now that is a very weird coincidence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I'm not sure what suddenly reminded me of this, but I do have another one!

When I was in scouts at the age of 13-14 we were camping down on Powerscourt estate as we did a few times a year (and still do, great spot). There were maybe 5-6 groups from the county down and we were all sitting around the campfire broken off into smaller groups having the chats. As we didn't know the other groups that well yet everyone just assumed that one guy in his late 30s was a leader from one of the other groups. He was chatting away happily, sharing the snacks being passed around and I'm sure he had a mug of wine when the bottle was covertly passed to him by another leader. Eventually someone he was talking to twigged it and asked a couple of the other leaders about him - it obviously didn't take them long to work out that none of us knew this guy. They approached him discretely and asked which group he was with... he just said he wasn't with any group but he'd been out for a walk and saw we were all sitting around a warm fire so he thought he'd join us. The guys asked him to leave because you can't have strangers wandering around near children, which he did with no complaints or fuss, and nothing else happened or came of it.

You have to understand that where we were camping isn't really a public thoroughfare; Powerscourt gardens is accessible to the public but the estate is private property only available for use by the scouts and those local residents with passes. You CERTAINLY wouldn't expect to run into anyone else in the wee hours of the morning unless they were also from a scout group camping on the estate. We were camping here which is pretty remote. My point is that this guy had almost no reason to be out wandering the woods at 1am and definitely no reason to be approaching big groups of kids.

I'm 27 now and a leader with the group myself, we still talk about that. I remember someone telling me afterwards that he was a local from Powerscourt who'd killed his wife and was hiding out on the estate, and was later caught, but I can't find anything to support that.

We've also found shallow dug graves in the forest proper before, as recently as 2 years ago, but because they weren't far from another group's camping spot we reckoned it was someone taking the piss. Still, creepy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

kylith wrote: »
    It sounds like it could have been St. Elmo's Fire - luminous plasma being created by a high electrical discharge, possibly created by the mixing of electricity from the wires with the moisture in the air. Sailors considered it a sign of protection from their patron saint in stormy weather.

Thanks! Now I have this in my head...

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I have more stories but I'm waiting for others to tell a few first so it doesn't look like I'm taking the place over.

One very quick and not terribly freaky one. I have a three year old daughter and she's told me a few times that she remembers being a big girl before she was a baby.

Ah go on

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Your grandmother did the right thing for the poor old chap, whether he was from this world or another one. What a fantastic story.

Thanks, in my opinion it sums up rural Ireland in the 1960's, a completely different world to today,

No one in their right mind would do such a thing today imo.

Here's one that scared the crap out of us at the time but wasn't supernatural.

I used to go camping by the side of a local lake,the same lake was mentioned very early on in the thread as having someone's skull found in it years ago but I've been living around here for 37 years and never heard of that. It's very deep and the water in it is very dark, something to do with the boggy soil in the surrounding area. Back in the late 80s there was a big thing about a monster in it, I think it even made the local paper, but the river feeding it is way too shallow for anything of significant size to make its way into the lake. All that is kind of irrelevant though.

The only real way of getting to the area we camped was to walk along the railway line, then down a short path to a clearing in the trees about 20' from the lakes edge. It was the eary 90s so I was in my early teens, I went camping with my cousin, who was a similar age. We spent the evening fishing but caught nothing. We started a small fire, as always, and threw some sausages wrapped in tinfoil on the fire, that's what we always ate when we went camping and at the time I thought they tasted far far better than cooked in any other way.

We turned in when it got dark, it was summer so that was fairly late, stayed awake for another hour or so trying to scare each other with ghost stories and finally drifted off to sleep. I wish I knew as many freaky family stories now as I did back then, I'd fill an entire thread on my own. About two in the morning we both woke up at the same time. There was someone walking around outside. This is a fairly remote area and not one people happen to be walking around at any time of day let alone the middle of the night.

We could hear them out by the campfire, then getting closer and closer to the tent, right up to the flap/zipper at the front. I don't mind admitting I almost crapped my pants. We both panicked and started shouting some bull that people in their early teens think is macho. We didn't hear what the person outside was up to because we were screaming and shouting so loud. When we eventually stopped everything was quiet outside.

It took about 15 minutes before we built up the courage to open the tent and go out for a look around. There was nobody there but we didn't look all that hard before going back inside. It took ages to get back to sleep but we managed it. A few hours later I woke up to the sound of an incredibly loud horn. I didn't know if I had dreamed it or actually heard it. It went off again and we both went out to see what it was. It was the train, the driver had spotted the tent through the trees and decided to pull up for a laugh and scare us. He sounded the horn again, we waved and he drove off.

We had a look around and there were fresh man-sized tracks in the clay around the tent so we knew we had actually had a visitor in the middle of the night. Kids don't think much of these things though so we just restarted the fire, had more sausages, spent a few more hours fishing and headed for home. We weren't allowed to camp there any more after telling our parents what had happened.

I still don't know what in the hell anyone was doing wandering around there in the middle of the night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

12 years ago my cousin married an American guy and I met a friend of his at their wedding. We had a nice couple of days together and when he headed off to Europe we said our goodbyes and didn't exchanges numbers / emails etc. Around 6 months later I was going to stay with a friend in NYC (where he lives) and he heard, via his friend, that I was coming over and he contacted me to meet up and go out on a date / sight seeing etc. We arranged to meet the night I arrived but when I arrived we had been delayed and I was wrecked so I called him to explain. that was fine and we agreed that I would contact him the next morning. I texted him about meeting up and heard nothing back so I went off shopping and didn't think anything of it. I walked up a random street (which I didn't know was 2 blocks from his apartment) and bumped into him!!! He hadn't received my text. How random to meet him in NYC of all places. So we had some fab times and one of the nights, he asked me to come to his place and we would order in food rather than eat out every night. I bought a bottle of wine to bring with me. It would be quite rare and expensive and when I arrived he had the exact same one open for us!!! A lot of small things like this happened with him. It didn't work out but we still mail from time to time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement