Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

thelad95 wrote: »
    This thread is full of sleep paralysis stories. I've experienced it twice, both triggered by heavy nights on booze.

Yeah there have been over 100 mentions of it in this thread already http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=2056831498&query=paralysis

NSAman wrote: »
    Have just bought a new house. Everything has been great and had it painted and moved in. Live alone now so was happy to have the place decorated and my things around me.

One night about 2am, one of the dogs who sleep with me, went ballistic barking, I woke up and a light switched on in the kitchen. I thought someone was there but nothing. Tried the switch it seemed very "light" so put it down to that. Went back to sleep.

Some evenings the dog grows at the same area, but when I check, there is nothing there.

ANYHOW, I have an old radio on the kitchen counter which is close to this area also. Rarely use it because it is so difficult to tune in and the CD is crap. Was watching TV and the Radio started all by itself. Again the Dog went mad just prior to this. Have to say at this stage I was freaked out.

Last week I was in bed. Dog on the bed again. Dozing, dog started barking again and the shower in the ensuite turned on. Now the ensuite is on the first floor, Only access is beside me and no one was there.....

At this stage the Holy Water has been thrown everywhere....

Sounds like the first half of every "family moves into a new house" horror film ever :-/

and let me tell ye.... you do NOT want to know what happens next!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

DareGod wrote: »
    Sounds like the first half of every "family moves into a new house" horror film ever :-/

It turns out the dog turned on the shower.... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

I am worried myself at this stage. Believe me. It is funny the house was empty for a long time. While it was being done up, I always had the feeling that someone had been inside at night time. Nothing concrete but just a feeling.

If anything else happens the priest is gonna be called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I am worried myself at this stage. Believe me. It is funny the house was empty for a long time. While it was being done up, I always had the feeling that someone had been inside at night time. Nothing concrete but just a feeling.

If anything else happens the priest is gonna be called.

Is it a new build or an old house?.Any info on previous tenants etc?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Moved into our home around 8 yrs ago, its a 100 yrs old Edwardian. Anyhoo, not long into it I woke up one night to see an oldish lady looking at me from the doorway of the room. I didn't feel threatened or frightened and fell back to sleep. I can still vividly remember it and I'm not someone who ever remembers my dreams. May have been my brain but it felt very real to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

Have just bought a new house. Everything has been great and had it painted and moved in. Live alone now so was happy to have the place decorated and my things around me.

One night about 2am, one of the dogs who sleep with me, went ballistic barking, I woke up and a light switched on in the kitchen. I thought someone was there but nothing. Tried the switch it seemed very "light" so put it down to that. Went back to sleep.

Some evenings the dog growls at the same area, but when I check, there is nothing there.

ANYHOW, I have an old radio on the kitchen counter which is close to this area also. Rarely use it because it is so difficult to tune in and the CD is crap. Was watching TV and the Radio started all by itself. Again the Dog went mad just prior to this. Have to say at this stage I was freaked out.

Last week I was in bed. Dog on the bed again. Dozing, dog started barking again and the shower in the ensuite turned on. Now the ensuite is on the first floor, Only access is beside me and no one was there.....

I would be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

NSAman wrote:

When I bought my first house my sister moved in with me. One of the first things she did was bless every room in the house with holy water, all except my bedroom. I'm not Catholic so wouldn't be into that sort of thing.

There were a lot of freaky experiences in my room over the next 8 years or so until I moved to a bigger place. I'd wake up at night and there'd be someone standing over me at the head of the bed. I couldn't open my eyes but I could make out the fact that they were there. I could feel pure evil off them and knew they meant me serious harm. I couldn't move a muscle or make a sound at all, it was horrible, one of the worst things I ever experienced. It happened maybe a dozen times over the 8 years.

It wasn't until years later that I learned about sleep paralysis. When you don't believe in ghosts or an afterlife, something like that can be really hard to accept and seriously freaky so I'm glad I know what it was now.

Everyone here has had sleep paralysis except me!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

jungleman wrote:
    Everyone here has had sleep paralysis except me!!!

Trust me, you don't want it, it's terrifying.

jungleman wrote: »
    Everyone here has had sleep paralysis except me!!! :mad:

You know when you wake up and your arm feels dead because you've been sleeping on it all night, and so you can't move it? It's like that but it happens soon after you drift off to sleep at night. And instead of just being your arm it's your entire body from head to toe. May or may not be accompanied by hallucinations of or the sensation that there are evil forces nearby. Seriously. I've experienced it in various forms. I don't believe in the supernatural at all (I am totally open to the possibility of it though, so this thread scares the sh*te outta me.) For different people it's brought on by different causes - for me it's brought on by anxiety and lack of sleep. Some medications have brought it on for me too. The first time was terrifying but the more it happened the less it bothered me.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Trust me, you don't want it, it's terrifying.
    You know when you wake up and your arm feels dead because you've been sleeping on it all night, and so you can't move it? It's like that but it happens soon after you drift off to sleep at night. And instead of just being your arm it's your entire body from head to toe. May or may not be accompanied by hallucinations of or the sensation that there are evil forces nearby. Seriously. I've experienced it in various forms. I don't believe in the supernatural at all (I am totally open to the possibility of it though, so this thread scares the sh*te outta me.)

I wouldn't mind getting it just once... Just to see what it's like. You guys have me all curious now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I wouldn't mind getting it just once... Just to see what it's like. You guys have me all curious now!

Nah the first time is the worst time. So you don't just want it the once ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

I got sleep paralysis quite a bit when I worked shift work. The first time it happened I genuinely thought I had died or something. The fact that you are so aware but unable to do anything is terrifying.

Nearest thing I get to it is when my right hand "accidentally" goes to sleep :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

My father has loads of stories sort of religious in nature. My father is quite pious man. During 1985 there were apparitions all around Ireland as many might know. It was in mount Mellary where he claims to have seen an apparition of the virgin mary, Padre pio and Jesus Christ.Now it could of been his mind playing tricks on him, but he is not alone in his claims. It is an interesting phenomenon nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Free Hat

FalconGirl wrote: »
    I got sleep paralysis quite a bit when I worked shift work. The first time it happened I genuinely thought I had died or something. The fact that you are so aware but unable to do anything is terrifying.

I get that a lot. It scared the living daylights out of me the first time I got it. I thought someone was in the room with me and I had been drugged. Creepy.

I get up early in the morning, perhaps thats why I get it. Difficult to breathe at times and you have to force yourself to wake up, usually by trying to shout or murmur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

On a couple of occasions when family members have passed during the night I have woke up just before the phone rings. You always know that 3am phone call is never a good one.

When my grandmother died she was weak but sitting up in the living room a robin flew into the house and perched on her shoulder a few days before she passed. My uncle died 10 years later and a few days before he passed a robin flew into the house and just perched on top of the tv for a hour or so.

Another one that I've heard from other family members is the three knocks on the door that have been heard prior to the deaths. Truly creepy stuff. Shudder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I thought this belonged in here. I'm sure some people in here will be able to relate to some of the scenes in this. Apologies for that, but it might give those who aren't sure what it is exactly a bit of an idea. I don't get it myself and I'm glad. I can imagine it doesn't make going to bed at night too easy.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I thought this belonged in here. I'm sure some people in here will be able to relate to some of the scenes in this. Apologies for that, but it might give those who aren't sure what it is exactly a bit of an idea. I don't get it myself and I'm glad. I can imagine it doesn't make going to bed at night too easy.

Jeeze, I didn't think it was interesting enough of a topic to make a film about. I mean yeah, sure it was terrifying at first, but the more it happens the less horrible it felt. Although, when it's the occasions where the dark figures appear... yeah that never gets any easier. :-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

The first episode of sleep paralysis I ever got left me too afraid to sleep again for the longest time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I've mentioned this here before but you can control your SP - I have been trying so very hard to get into it as it's the gateway to astrel projection and lucid dreams (im just experimenting - it's fun)

Here's a video that takes me close, gets me to lucid dream, but never gives me SP - and its supposed to - there are alot of videos on the subject which help people overcome it and step by step instructions on how to get out of it!

Paul santisi is another that you could look into

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

A rape, I'm guessing. Sounds like you had a VERY lucky escape! :(

And I am male! It was the standing next to me at the phone thing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

I get sleep paralysis a lot also. Usually happens just after I fall asleep with loud buzzing noises, distant voices and a strong feeling of being pulled out of bed and up towards the ceiling. Usually I wake up a few minutes with my heart pounding but it can be a while (seconds, minutes I don't know exactly) before I can actually move. If I'm hungover it can happen five or six times in a row before I finally get to sleep. Freaked the living shít out of me for ages until I came across sleep paralysis in Wikipedia.

False awakenings are another story and if I'm really unlucky I can get them after a sleep paralysis episode.

I should really stop reading this thread late at night.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamrock55 View Post
    I dont know if anyone on here has ever suffered from sleep parallysis, but i used to quiet a bit not so much anymore thank god because its one of the most terrifying things that can happen to you i think, for those who dont know about it its basically happens when you begin to fall asleep, your body is asleep but your brain is wide awake, its freaky **** let me tell ya, anyway during one of these episodes and this sounds nuts but i left my body, by force something was trying to pull me out of my bedroom, i was on the ceiling looking down on myself in bed, i was being pulled by some kind of force, i was desperatly trying to grab onto the lightshade and the wardrobe anything really,next thing i know i have come out of my sp and am in bed. Ill say one thing it scarred the bejaysus out of me, i went downstairs for the rest of the night and was terrified to go back to sleep again.
    i dont know to this day if it was real or some kind of dream all i remember was that at the time it felt 110% real
    I had a very similar experience years ago. I was staying overnight at my parents house . I'd drifted off to sleep, the next thing I remember was the the feeling of being pulled violently out of the bed. I felt like I was face up at the ceiling, spinning really quickly. I had the sensation of slamming back into the bed, and then it happened twice again in quick succession. I was absolutely terrified, have never forgotten it, and it has never happened since.
    73Cat wrote: »
    I had a very similar experience years ago. I was staying overnight at my parents house . I'd drifted off to sleep, the next thing I remember was the the feeling of being pulled violently out of the bed. I felt like I was face up at the ceiling, spinning really quickly. I had the sensation of slamming back into the bed, and then it happened twice again in quick succession. I was absolutely terrified, have never forgotten it, and it has never happened since.

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

lizzyman wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamrock55 View Post
    I dont know if anyone on here has ever suffered from sleep parallysis, but i used to quiet a bit not so much anymore thank god because its one of the most terrifying things that can happen to you i think, for those who dont know about it its basically happens when you begin to fall asleep, your body is asleep but your brain is wide awake, its freaky **** let me tell ya, anyway during one of these episodes and this sounds nuts but i left my body, by force something was trying to pull me out of my bedroom, i was on the ceiling looking down on myself in bed, i was being pulled by some kind of force, i was desperatly trying to grab onto the lightshade and the wardrobe anything really,next thing i know i have come out of my sp and am in bed. Ill say one thing it scarred the bejaysus out of me, i went downstairs for the rest of the night and was terrified to go back to sleep again.
    i dont know to this day if it was real or some kind of dream all i remember was that at the time it felt 110% real
    I had a very similar experience years ago. I was staying overnight at my parents house . I'd drifted off to sleep, the next thing I remember was the the feeling of being pulled violently out of the bed. I felt like I was face up at the ceiling, spinning really quickly. I had the sensation of slamming back into the bed, and then it happened twice again in quick succession. I was absolutely terrified, have never forgotten it, and it has never happened since

Sleep paralysis happens to everybody every night. Its the bodys way of making sure you don't act out your dreams. Just normally you are asleep before it happens.

I welcome it when it happens because if you can remain calm during it, its one of the gateways into lucid dreaming. Nothing to be afraid of in the slightest.

Exactly like you describe. I get a roaring, rushing noise in my head. Feel like i'm being lifted off the bed and spun around and tumbling down forever. If i can stay awake for it I enter a lucid dream, if not I just fall asleep. I do techniques to get into this state not least being afraid of it !

Heckler wrote: »
    Sleep paralysis happens to everybody every night. Its the bodys way of making sure you don't act out your dreams. Just normally you are asleep before it happens.

I welcome it when it happens because if you can remain calm during it, its one of the gateways into lucid dreaming. Nothing to be afraid of in the slightest.

Exactly like you describe. I get a roaring, rushing noise in my head. Feel like i'm being lifted off the bed and spun around and tumbling down forever. If i can stay awake for it I enter a lucid dream, if not I just fall asleep. I do techniques to get into this state not least being afraid of it !

I'm pretty used to it now. I've tried "going with it" a few times and the lifting off the bed towards the ceiling usually ends with me me flying, usually over my old primary school for some reason.

What used to really get to me is not just the noise and physical sensations but the feeling of something really malevolent happening during the whole experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Never got the bad feeling. The first time it happened I thought i had a brain tumour or something ! Felt like my head was gonna explode. Happens about twice a month now and I look forward to it.

Even the feeling of spinning in the bed is great.

Lucid dreams are incredible.

Is it a new build or an old house?.Any info on previous tenants etc?.

Two previous owners, the guy who built it lost his wife to cancer, then two lazy good for nothings divorced couple who I bought it off. House is 90s constuction.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    There were a lot of freaky experiences in my room over the next 8 years or so until I moved to a bigger place. I'd wake up at night and there'd be someone standing over me at the head of the bed. I couldn't open my eyes but I could make out the fact that they were there. I could feel pure evil off them and knew they meant me serious harm. I couldn't move a muscle or make a sound at all, it was horrible, one of the worst things I ever experienced. .

8 years??

If I had been living there it would have been put up on Daft in 8 seconds and I'd be living in a hotel until it was sold. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Some evenings the dog growls at the same area, but when I check, there is nothing there.

You've called an electrician as well as a priest, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Heckler
    "Exactly like you describe. I get a roaring, rushing noise in my head. Feel like i'm being lifted off the bed and spun around and tumbling down forever. If i can stay awake for it I enter a lucid dream, if not I just fall asleep. I do techniques to get into this state not least being afraid of it !"

Is a lucid dream those dreams where you know you are asleep?
    I have had good and bad experiences. The good are relaxed and I can levitate within the room I'm in, very cool, but I'm aware its a dream.

The bad is when I'm having a scary experience, very surreal but I know I'm dreaming and I try to wake myself up.. sometimes I can, but often I can go back into the same bloody dream again.. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Mines not creepy more weird. My Dad died when i was 15. I woke up 5 mins before i heard my Mam shouting the house down, dont know what woke me up as th house was silent when i woke up. My sister also died and i woke up 10 mins before i got the call to say she had a turn. It was 3.10am when i got the call. I knew she was gone and didnt have a turn so still rushed to her side to feel her warmth one last time (that probably sounds really weird).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I have two stories that both relate to my cousin Conor who sadly died in the early 1970's at the age of 4 after being hit by a car outside his house.

About a month before, his mam had been walking up Grafton St in Dublin, and apparently there is / was a church nearby. An old woman approached her near the church and made small talk about Conor. When they were finished the chat, the woman moved in close to my aunt and whispered words to the effect of , "you're not to worry about him, God is going to look after him well"

And then even more freaky....

On the day he died which was a Saturday, my uncle was in watching TV when Conor ran in and was all worked up, shouting " Dad! Dad! The girl! Come quick, she's been knocked down!"
    My uncle said he sprinted out onto the road and there was no accident or girl hurt. He gave out to Conor and told him not to telling such lies.
    At the hospital after he had died, he was talking to a nun who was there to support the family and mentioned his guilt at giving out to Conor over what he had said. The nun said that there was another girl in the hospital, who had been knocked down that day about 4 miles away, and when she came out of unconsciousness, he first words had been, " is the little boy who got knocked down ok?"

I get chills even typing this, but my family swear this is true - and to be fair, the incident is not one you'd be making things up about.

RIP Conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Tilly wrote: »
    Mines not creepy more weird. My Dad died when i was 15. I woke up 5 mins before i heard my Mam shouting the house down, dont know what woke me up as th house was silent when i woke up. My sister also died and i woke up 10 mins before i got the call to say she had a turn. It was 3.10am when i got the call. I knew she was gone and didnt have a turn so still rushed to her side to feel her warmth one last time (that probably sounds really weird).

One of the worst feelings in the world. Feeling the life and warmth drain away from someone

kylith wrote: »
    You've called an electrician as well as a priest, yeah?

changed the switch .... not sure if the priest would be any good at changing the switch though..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

Is it possible that she had some kind of night terrors? I've heard of people taking off their clothes because they're fevered with said terrors.

She never had night terrors before or after though. From what little reading I have done on night terrors, they are very rare in adults, tend to be recurring and associated with certain mental disorders or medications. Neither of which she ever had. In saying that there are some similarities- lack of memory of the night and fever as you said.

Just a small one, it's not even really a story, but anyway...

One dark Saturday night when I was 10, my older sister and I were home alone, and we rented Scream on video. As a 10 year old who had never seen a horror film before, I was sh**ing myself before it had even started. We turned off all the lights in the living room, got under a duvet on the couch, and started the film. 10 minutes into it (by which point I was already terrified) and our house phone which was out in the hall started ringing. (If you've seen Scream, you'll know why that in itself was unnerving enough.) We both paused, and my sister reluctantly went out to answer it. It turned out to be a family friend calling us to inform us that someone had died. :eek:

:pac:

I love Scream.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

When I was about 11, I went with my father to help my uncle gather hay on his farm after a threshing. My uncle at the time was a middle-aged man who lived alone in a rural farm. Anyways, after our work was done, I wandered back to the farmhouse passing some of my uncles sheds. As I past one of them, I heard muffled groaning, like someone was inside.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Paid my water bill last Monday but it still says unpaid on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

When I was about 11, I went with my father to help my uncle gather hay on his farm after a threshing. My uncle at the time was a middle-aged man who lived alone in a rural farm. Anyways, after our work was done, I wandered back to the farmhouse passing some of my uncles sheds. As I past one of them, I heard muffled groaning, like someone was inside.

This.

Ok. Now I am scared! Did anything else weird happen up at the farm?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and......................??????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Does anyone notice anything unusual about this picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

That was the first thing I said when it was shown to me.:):):). Have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Not really. It just looks like there's a reflection in the window of whatever vehicle it was taken from.

Not really. It just looks like there's a reflection in the window of whatever vehicle it was taken from.

My sister took the picture with her phone. She was looking out the back of the bus. It looks like there is a face in the bottom right corner. I thought it looked strange. Not scary but just strange.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

reminds me of bishop brennans face appearing on the skirty board:D

Roquentin wrote: »
    reminds me of bishop brennans face appearing on the skirty board:D

:D:D:DIts a holy terror alright:D:D:D. We were trying to see could we recognise it, but we don't. I still think it looks like the face of a middle aged man. Or maybe I've finally lost the plot.:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

:D:D:DIts a holy terror alright:D:D:D. We were trying to see could we recognise it, but we don't. I still think it looks like the face of a middle aged man. Or maybe I've finally lost the plot.:D:D

:eek: Is this what you spotted?

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
Advertisement