Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

kilkenny12 wrote: »
    Murica?

It was Kerry, where the &*%! are you getting an American connection, you know what this is my weird experience, a post on an Irish forum associates Tralee with America,fecks sake. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

It was Kerry, where the &*%! are you getting an American connection, you know what this is my weird experience, a post on an Irish forum associates Tralee with America,fecks sake. :D

*Shakes head*

Yup.

'murica.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I just remembered one from years ago, always kinda freaked me out.

I was about 12 I think. I remember the family and I went into Derry for the day and my parents ended up buying this fancy new stereo system. It had a minidisk player (modern! :P) and a cd player. The cd drive was on the front with a screen over it that was opened by running your finger over a sensor above it. It made a beeping sound a slid down. You did the same to close it again. I thought this was some fancy sh/t and when we got the system home I couldn't wait to try it out.

It was that evening that I pick out my favourite CD, probably The Corrs or the Spice Girls or something! I went walking into the living room and when I passed the door I heard a loud clap. I thought wtf, but continued on to the stereo in the corned of the room. I was about 4 foot away from the stereo when I heard the beeping noise and the disc cover opens. I froze on the spot, then I heard the beep again and the cover closes.

I bolt, dropping the CD (sorry Jim!) and as I get to the door I heard a loud clap again. I just ran to my room and never told anyone as I thought they would just think I was mental.

After that nothing like it happened again. We still have the stereo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Sounds like your father installed a clapper device ha.....

also sounds like that you tube vid of the dad that installed that program to scare the crap out of his kid cause he was using the laptop to much.
    I just remembered one from years ago, always kinda freaked me out.

I was about 12 I think. I remember the family and I went into Derry for the day and my parents ended up buying this fancy new stereo system. It had a minidisk player (modern! :P) and a cd player. The cd drive was on the front with a screen over it that was opened by running your finger over a sensor above it. It made a beeping sound a slid down. You did the same to close it again. I thought this was some fancy sh/t and when we got the system home I couldn't wait to try it out.

It was that evening that I pick out my favourite CD, probably The Corrs or the Spice Girls or something! I went walking into the living room and when I passed the door I heard a loud clap. I thought wtf, but continued on to the stereo in the corned of the room. I was about 4 foot away from the stereo when I heard the beeping noise and the disc cover opens. I froze on the spot, then I heard the beep again and the cover closes.

I bolt, dropping the CD (sorry Jim!) and as I get to the door I heard a loud clap again. I just ran to my room and never told anyone as I thought they would just think I was mental.

After that nothing like it happened again. We still have the stereo too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

This is not genuinely creepy but a little freaky in the coincidence.

Last Sunday I woke up really early, 5am and could not get back to sleep. I wasn't too tired so at 8am I decided I would get up, had breakfast, showered and headed off in my car to Blanchardstown Shopping Centre thinking I will do a bit of early shopping before it gets mental and go visit my parents afterwards (they live nearby). Did my shopping, had lunch, left the shopping centre as it was getting mentally busy and drove to my parents house. There was nobody home so I let myself in. I decided to call my mother to see if she had just popped out or was gone for the day.

"Oh hi miamee, guess where I am? I am on Thomas St. shopping since earlier, I was about to call you to come round to yours for a cup of tea before I go home!" I live about a 5 minute walk from Thomas Street.
    "Guess where I am, Mam? In your living room, I just called round for a cup of tea"
    "Oh."

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Typical Irish family in Irish family likes tea shocker? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

miamee wrote: »
    This is not genuinely creepy but a little freaky in the coincidence.

Last Sunday I woke up really early, 5am and could not get back to sleep. I wasn't too tired so at 8am I decided I would get up, had breakfast, showered and headed off in my car to Blanchardstown Shopping Centre thinking I will do a bit of early shopping before it gets mental and go visit my parents afterwards (they live nearby). Did my shopping, had lunch, left the shopping centre as it was getting mentally busy and drove to my parents house. There was nobody home so I let myself in. I decided to call my mother to see if she had just popped out or was gone for the day.

"Oh hi miamee, guess where I am? I am on Thomas St. shopping since earlier, I was about to call you to come round to yours for a cup of tea before I go home!" I live about a 5 minute walk from Thomas Street.
    "Guess where I am, Mam? In your living room, I just called round for a cup of tea"
    "Oh."

:D

Not sure how that is freaky at all? It's December, everyone is always going to shopping centres or into town for gifts. It's a coincidence at best.

Not sure how that is freaky at all? It's December, everyone is always going to shopping centres or into town for gifts. It's a coincidence at best.

At least she does know the difference between creepy/unnerving, and just plain coincidence. Too many don't seem to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Nothing supernatural exactly but it gave me the creeps.

A few years ago I went on a weekend away to Kerry. On route we went to a pub where we all had drinks and I had a coke.It was a warm night and I was munching away on ice cubes from the bottom of the glass but one just wouldn't melt.I was going to just swallow but instead decided to spit it back into the glass,very un characteristic for me as I used to be very self conscious. Turns out my ice cube was a big shard of glass and my tongue and lip were bleeding.So there was loud horror from the people I was with who thought I should go back to Tralee and go to hospital in case I'd swallowed any.if I'd swallowed that shard whole I think I'd certainly have killed myself and I had that repeated to me by several people in the pub .However we were in the middle of nowhere,at least 2 hrs outside of Tralee at night and I didn't think I'd swallowed any so decided to go on to find our B&B and go to a Dr if I felt unwell. I was feeling really unnerved after it though.
    Anyway, on we go but we can't find our B&B. Around 10 we stop into a shop and ask if there's one nearby and are given directions to a blue house on the next road. Turns out its called Hospital B&B and is on Hospital Road. So this seemed like a weird coincidence but maybe a sign we were in the right place.

Next morning we went down for breakfast and the owners were working in the kitchen and serving it. They come into the dining room and they're taking a great interest in us,pointing,whispering and looking it seemed at me. They came over for an awkward chat and left. Then they came back and said I bore a freakish resemblance to their niece who had died in an accident on the road outside the B&B the week before. So I offered my sympathies etc and we talked a little more,mostly about how uncannily like this girl I looked and they told me my mannerisms were very similar to hers . A few mins after that they came back and asked me if I would mind leaving. They'd rang over to another B&B to ask them to take me instead.So I was sent packing promptly.

I have to say seeing how freaked out they were really unnerved me and coupled with the glass incident and the weirdly named B&B I was left with a really creepy feeling all through the holiday,which I spent in the other B&B.

I think l know that b&b...its like in the middle of nowhere...pink/red? lonely and old looking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

This happened about 7 or 8 years ago, can't remember the story too well, but quiet freaky all the same....

A young teenage boy had hung himself...a few months later a group of lads, his friends did the ouija board (lm pretty sure it was) anyway they got in contact with him....he told them that several young people (from this town, named a few) were going to die young by sucide and some in an accident within the next few years....since then, there were at least 5 or 6 young people who had died by sucide and 3 had died in an accident....these lads were told all this before any of it happened...had competely forgotten about it, there certainly is life after death in some form!

no word of a lie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

King George two shillings
    I was working for an accountancy firm in Africa in the late 1970s on a two year contract. One night I heard a knock on the main door of my apartment (I and everyone else used the other door). It was the security guard. His shift was 6pm to 6am. He said his friend asked him to ask me for a King George two shillings as his child was sick. (For friend read healer/witchdoctor).
    After a year there I had no idea if I had any Irish or English change. I might have an Irish florin (two shillings) or a Queen Elizabeth two shillings (on the throne for 26 years at that stage since 1953). And decimal currency was introduced in 1971 so the shilling and two shilling coins were being withdrawn, although still in circulation. It was all five pence (one shilling) and ten pence (two shillings) now. A King George two shillings was not common.

I told him I would look, asked him to wait, and locked the door. I went into my bedroom - two dressing tables with about seven drawers, and a press.
    The first drawer I opened had a King George two shilling piece on top of some change in the corner.
    As one of our politicians would say - amazeyballs.
    I gave him the coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭xploderz

This happened about 7 or 8 years ago, can't remember the story too well, but quiet freaky all the same....

A young teenage boy had hung himself...a few months later a group of lads, his friends did the ouija board (lm pretty sure it was) anyway they got in contact with him....he told them that several young people (from this town, named a few) were going to die young by sucide and some in an accident within the next few years....since then, there were at least 5 or 6 young people who had died by sucide and 3 had died in an accident....these lads were told all this before any of it happened...had competely forgotten about it, there certainly is life after death in some form!

no word of a lie.

So not only do ghosts exist, they are also psychic. Interesting :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rebelinclare

About 12 years ago my family went to midnight mass at our parish church on Christmas eve. When mass ended and as my father was driving us home, he announced that the priest that said the mass was going to die soon. He said that during mass he could see the priests soul trying to leap out of his body.

The priest was found dead two days later.

My father has plenty of experiences, but this is the only one I witnessed in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Taken from YLYL.

Obituaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Was at my grandfather's funeral a good few years ago now and I saw this butterfly near his coffin. I was sitting beside my sister and two of my cousins, all of us under 12 at the time and I pointed it out to them. They were able to see it as well. The thing is when I tried to point it out to my mother she said she couldn't see anything. I kind of thought nothing of it but then it started flying up above the coffin, it was extremely bright and colourful but again she couldn't see anything. I was quite freaked out at the time but looking at it now years later I think it's a beautiful experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

I had a similar experience re. the butterfly. My Dad died some time ago, was expected. He had told me before he died that he was going to a beautiful place and had seen it. He described it as a garden with beautiful flowers of the most vivid colors you could imagine. He died, and all throughout the wake and funeral, this beautiful butterfly kept following me from room to room. It stayed with us throughout all this time, but when my dad was buried, we returned home to find it dead on the windowsill. I have no doubt this was my wonderful dad letting me know he was alive and well elsewhere, But unlike you, thelad95, we could all see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Our dog used to sit at the end of the stairs and shake in the mornings before my husband went to work. This started happening about 6 months or so after we moved into th house. My husband used to "joke" that he could see my husbands mother who had passed away before that.

One morning I was in our living room putting my make up on in the mirror. The same mirror I slot memorial cards into of my granny, Grandad etc
    My dog was sitting watching me and randomly my mother in laws memorial card just fell from the mirror. The dog legged it from the room. I followed shortly after. Terrified me.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I have heard the Butterfly story before its quite common.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

diomed wrote: »
    King George two shillings
    I gave him the coin.
    The old shilling would still have had real silver in it and be worth many times face value ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

This will seem mighty tame compared to some of the stories but I am sitting here shaking :o

I've been binge-watching The Walking Dead for the last few days. It's quite gory and violent.

At 1:45am someone came hammering on my door. I jumped about a foot I'd say. Paused the show and sat there wondering what the f I was going to do.

(some context, I live on my own in the countryside)

I checked my phone and FB to see if anyone had tried to contact me but nothing doing there.

They knocked 3 or 4 times then left I hope! Haven't had the courage to look out yet. (stupid aluminium door!)

The adrenaline is only just calming down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

mud wrote: »
    This will seem mighty tame compared to some of the stories but I am sitting here shaking :o

I've been binge-watching The Walking Dead for the last few days. It's quite gory and violent.

At 1:45am someone came hammering on my door. I jumped about a foot I'd say. Paused the show and sat there wondering what the f I was going to do.

(some context, I live on my own in the countryside)

I checked my phone and FB to see if anyone had tried to contact me but nothing doing there.

They knocked 3 or 4 times then left I hope! Haven't had the courage to look out yet. (stupid aluminium door!)

The adrenaline is only just calming down now.

Oh, you've been watching Walking Dead the whole night? So I suppose this is the first you're hearing about the deadly virus that has rapidly been spreading across the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Oh, you've been watching Walking Dead the whole night? So I suppose this is the first you're hearing about the deadly virus that has rapidly been spreading across the country...

:eek:

Braaaiiiiinnnnnz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Years ago, cant remember when, I had a dream every so often. I can't remember most of it but I was walking through a burning house and heard a gun shot and a distressed horse. It felt as if I was just watching it and wasn't in any danger myself. I was always walking down the same hallway with the white stairs on the left, eventually one night I see a man in the door.

After having this dream for a while I see on the news about someones house being burned down and their horses shot. Now I can't sleep, each time replaying it in my head, more and more of it is clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Reading the Butterfly stories made me think of my mother's experience with symbols following the death of somebody. On the day a close family member died, she found white feathers on the top of her car. To add to this, a few others also found the white feathers in various other places and as it turns out, the person mentioned that if they passed away, they'd leave a sign in the form of feathers. Can't explain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Reading the Butterfly stories made me think of my mother's experience with symbols following the death of somebody. On the day a close family member died, she found white feathers on the top of her car. To add to this, a few others also found the white feathers in various other places and as it turns out, the person mentioned that if they passed away, they'd leave a sign in the form of feathers. Can't explain it.

When I pass away im gonna spook people when they are on the toilet!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

A friend of mine used to have this really bizarre and vivid recurring dream in which a Nun without a face chased him on a skateboard. She used to hold an infant in her hand, and a knife in the other, and she'd make these kind of stabbing gesticulations towards the child as she chased him. He'd always wake up before something happened.

It was really weird how he used to describe it to me. We were only like seven or eight years old when he had this dream over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I keep seeing this thread die then come back to life...it's harrowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

i often have religious dreams quite strange actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

Not that strange and far from unnerving but it's the best I've got!
    I tend to have very vivid dreams and the night before I got my leaving cert results, I dreamed I got 3 As (English, art, dcg), a B for maths and Cs for German, Irish and Biology. Woke up in a foul mood thinking that after dreaming up such great results, I'd only be disappointed. Opened the envelope and to my surprise, I got my As in art, English and DCG, my B for maths and Cs for the other subjects. Considering I hadn't a notion of where my results would realistically fall, it was quite a weird coincidence.

More recently, I had a dream that someone saw me wearing a scarf I own with butterflies on it and accused me of stealing said scarf from them. In the dream it turned out we both had the same scarf and the problem resolved - end of dream. Next day I get on the bus to head into town, wearing the scarf that had featured in my dream. At the next bus stop a lady gets on a sits ahead of me, wearing the exact same scarf. Again, just coincidence.

Advertisement