Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

The talk of dreams reminded me of this. 15 years ago I was pregnant with my second child, and unfortunately found out my baby had a disability. The degree to which the disability would effect her would only be evident after birth. It could be very severe, possibly with the baby not surviving at all at the worst end of the scale, as it's a disability that can have varying outcomes on individuals. Several times I dreamt of a baby girl, kicking her legs, and I heard her voice in my head. It spoke gibberish but I knew she was telling me she was going to be OK. I felt a sense of calm after these dreams, and knew the outcome would not be as bad as predicted. I hadn't found out the sex of the baby, but gave birth to a baby girl. She has had problems along the way but is highly functioning thank God. I really believe that dreams are not just dreams at times. It probably sounds mental but I believe it was in some way her way of connecting with me before birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

I was working night shifts a few years ago, and sometimes I would be exhausted driving home.

Your mind plays tricks on you when you're that tired... but one night I pulled the car over to rest for a bit because I was starting to nod off.

I got out of the car and walked around a bit trying to wake myself up. It was a very quiet country area, no traffic, no street lights but also not somewhere you would be scared to be at that time... (I thought anyway)

So I'm basically staring into darkness, just empty fields everywhere. Then I look through a gap in a hedge in the field right next to me. There was a man staring right at me from the field.... middle of the night 3am(ish)... winter time so it was cold and wet out too. Didn't look like he had a torch or anything either, which I thought was odd.

So I said hello, and he didn't say anything back... nothing... just kept his eyes fixed on me. I couldn't see him very well because there was only low level moon light. The only noise he made was a sniffle - like he had a cold or something. Scared the sh*t out of me!

So I got back in the car and drove home, fully awake now because of the shock. Couldn't sleep that night even though I was exhausted.

Because I was so tired, I'm not entirely sure if it was real or some illusion from my tired mind. lol

I also had to drive by that same spot every night for the next 6 months... hairs stood up every time. I don't believe in ghosts... but it does make me wonder sometimes.

(sorry ppl this got really long - haha)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Laoislion8383

Have had a few strange or unexplainable experiences, what are your ghost stories?? I know it's 29th of May and not 31st October

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I took a phantom dump before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

I have one

It was years ago.
    I was staying with my great aunt in Connemara.
    It was a big house, miles from anywhere.
    During the Great Famine, a cruel landlord and his beautiful daughter lived there.
    The story is he forbade the daughter from marrying a young soldier.
    It broke her heart.
    In her despair, she hung herself in her bedroom.
    The room that I was staying in was that very bedroom.
    I remember it was icy cold lit by a single candle.
    I was drifting off to sleep when suddenly, I heard a strange creaking noise.
    - Was it a ghost? - No.
    So, no, I've never seen a ghost.

One experience I had was years ago I was about 12 or 13 and I was walking home from town and noticed this girl walking on the other side of the road in the same direction as me about 6 feet in front of me, it was weird as I didn't know who she was and as a 12/13 year old boy I would have know all the girls that age in my town but didn't reconise Her, anyhow I contunied walking but kept an eye on here as I got a strange feeling, when it came to the my turn to take for my house she kept walking and this is no joke she disappeared into a wall that surrounded a small stud farm. Told my mam when I got home and of course she laughed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Seeing ghosts means you're hallucinating. If you are fully awake and not on drugs then you should talk to a doctor about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

There's already a thread about this, it's been running for 2 years and has almost 3k posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

This really freked me out

A friend had her grandson stay over for the night, Hearing voices and laughter coming from the bedroom my friend went to investigate.
    She went in and saw no one except her grandson and asked him what was all the chatting and laughing was about Oh he says and him not a bit bothered that was me and Joe Soap we were having great fun until you came in.
    It turns out Joe Soap was the man that owned the land that my friends house was built on and had been dead over 40 years
    The grandson went on to say that every time he comes to the house he always sees Joe Soap

It sends shivers through me every time I think of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

RonanP77 wrote: »
    There's already a thread about this, it's been running for 2 years and has almost 3k posts.

And its a fantastic read

lulu1 wrote: »
    This really freked me out

A friend had her grandson stay over for the night, Hearing voices and laughter coming from the bedroom my friend went to investigate.
    She went in and saw no one except her grandson and asked him what was all the chatting and laughing was about Oh he says and him not a bit bothered that was me and Joe Soap we were having great fun until you came in.
    It turns out Joe Soap was the man that owned the land that my friends house was built on and had been dead over 40 years
    The grandson went on to say that every time he comes to the house he always sees Joe Soap

It sends shivers through me every time I think of it

That's a freaky one, my wife's nephew has had some experiences one of the worst happened when my daughter was in the room, the sky remote flew of the sofa and hit him in the face he was about 12 feet away from it playing on the floor with the child, it terrified both of them.....

Fran1985 wrote: »
    And its a fantastic read

How do I find it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How do I find it???

You don't .......

It finds you.....

Bit like chuck Norris I suppose.

This is years ago, I was about 15/16

I was coming home one winters night after being in a mates house watching champions league, this is before mobile phones or text messaging, the match finished up and I walked home about 5 min walk my parents live in an estate which is my childhood home, our house is the second for last and as I turned the corner I looked up at the front room window and saw this figure that was becking me in as if something was wrong i immediately thought it was my sister so I hurryed in but when I did I found there was nobody in the house my parents left a note saying they were gone to my grandparents, upon reading this I turned around walked out and ran back to my mates house I told them I forgot my key so as not to look insane..... It freaked me out but I am 100% convinced my childhood homes is haunted even my mam is coming around to the idea something happened her one night but she refuses to say what it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I took a phantom dump before

Ghost Wipe Too ?

21/25

• Advertisement

uch wrote: »
    Ghost Wipe Too ?

Teflon coated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Have had a few strange or unexplainable experiences, what are your ghost stories?? I know it's 29th of May and not 31st October

31st of October is right in the middle of magic mushroom season and its Halloween so it's no coincidence that 'experiences" spike at that time of the year

31st of October is right in the middle of magic mushroom season and its Halloween so it's no coincidence that 'experiences" spike at that time of the year

Mushies on Halloween night is quite an experience alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD: Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Another oddity I had was years ago, when I was a kid. I must have been under the age of ten, anyway. I woke up, hearing voices downstairs, sounds of distant laughter and footsteps going from the dining room into the kitchen. Pretty normal noises. I figured it was some friends of my siblings' over and they were playing board games, which wasn't uncommon. I was bored at being left out of the fun, so I lurked downstairs to see what was going on, only to find the place dead quiet, lights off, and everyone'd gone to bed. It was 1.20AM by the kitchen clock.

I scarpered.

Funny thing was, once I got back up into my room, I could still hear the footsteps going too and fro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

This is years ago, I was about 15/16

I was coming home one winters night after being in a mates house watching champions league, this is before mobile phones or text messaging, the match finished up and I walked home about 5 min walk my parents live in an estate which is my childhood home, our house is the second for last and as I turned the corner I looked up at the front room window and saw this figure that was becking me in as if something was wrong i immediately thought it was my sister so I hurryed in but when I did I found there was nobody in the house my parents left a note saying they were gone to my grandparents, upon reading this I turned around walked out and ran back to my mates house I told them I forgot my key so as not to look insane..... It freaked me out but I am 100% convinced my childhood homes is haunted even my mam is coming around to the idea something happened her one night but she refuses to say what it was

Read this while I was wide awake last night....didn't help me trying to get back to sleep that's for sure!!
    Any other things happen there?

Blingy wrote: »
    Read this while I was wide awake last night....didn't help me trying to get back to sleep that's for sure!!
    Any other things happen there?

A few things, remember being a child about 7/8 and going to the bathroom one nite and heard the kettle boil and switch itself off woke my dad who got up and off down stairs we went into the kitchen and he felt the kettle he didn't say it but I just knew it had just booked he said it was cold but I knew by his face he was freaked out, that same thing happened to my sister too, I woke up another night and there was a woman dressing me bed tucking in the quilt cover and I could feel it but it wasn't really a frightening experience I felt safe if that makes sense, my youngest brother used to have a pretend friend called George and one night he woke my father and said George wants a sandwich this is at like 4 in the morning. Loads of other stuff but can't think of them now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

The building I work in is a very old institutional building in Dublin.

I received mixed reports from the night shift security guys on occasion of hearing children laughing/running through the building late at night, they started refusing to work the night shift.

We eventually went with hi-tec automated PIR/red zone tech to secure the building at night, negating the need for a body on-site.

I was called at 5am one morning by the alarm monitoring company about an alarm activation & I arrived on location to find access doors that can only be opened from the inside, wide open & alarm bells ringing.

After a quick search of the building & ascertaining there was no intrusion or access points tampered with, other than the obvious, I checked the CCTV footage to find the cause of the breach.

To this day I cannot explain what I saw...

I could clearly see these heavy doors that had been secured by the SO on duty the previous evening (confirmed via CCTV footage) were bellowing out intermittently as if a great force was trying to open them from the inside.

Suddenly the doors burst open violently causing the alarm activation.

PIR records show they were not activated, eliminating the prospect of an intruder.

Weather conditions that night were calm, no high winds etc.

Locks etc., were all checked & functioning perfectly.

Definately a case for Scooby Doo & the crew to investigate :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

:eek:

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    The building I work in is a very old institutional building in Dublin.

I received mixed reports from the night shift security guys on occasion of hearing children laughing/running through the building late at night, they started refusing to work the night shift.

We eventually went with hi-tec automated PIR/red zone tech to secure the building at night, negating the need for a body on-site.

I was called at 5am one morning by the alarm monitoring company about an alarm activation & I arrived on location to find access doors that can only be opened from the inside, wide open & alarm bells ringing.

After a quick search of the building & ascertaining there was no intrusion or access points tampered with, other than the obvious, I checked the CCTV footage to find the cause of the breach.

To this day I cannot explain what I saw...

I could clearly see these heavy doors that had been secured by the SO on duty the previous evening (confirmed via CCTV footage) were bellowing out intermittently as if a great force was trying to open them from the inside.

Suddenly the doors burst open violently causing the alarm activation.

PIR records show they were not activated, eliminating the prospect of an intruder.

Weather conditions that night were calm, no high winds etc.

Locks etc., were all checked & functioning perfectly.

Definately a case for Scooby Doo & the crew to investigate :confused:

That is a good one, still have the CCTV footage? Ever post it on you tube or send it in to one of those paranormal TV shows??

That is a good one, still have the CCTV footage? Ever post it on you tube or send it in to one of those paranormal TV shows??
    No unfortunately, I'm contractually bound by the data protection act re., CCTV footage :(

I do still have the recording though.

No unfortunately, I'm contractually bound by the data protection act re., CCTV footage :(

Aww right fair enough, can't say I blame the night watch men now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

I was living in a rented house with a few mates while in college. One day I came home early from college and there was nobody else home... so I went up stairs and was just messing around on my laptop.

Then I heard the hall door close... It was very difficult to close it without making noise, so it was unmistakable from any other sound. Anyway I just assumed it was one of my mates coming in the door... so I shouted down to ask who it was.

But nobody answered. I stood at the top of the stairs listening and then asked again, but nothing... I stood there frozen, not knowing what to do next. Then I heard a van door close and drive away.

It only then hit me that it might have been someone leaving instead of entering the house... I was totally freaked out. But still not 100% sure to go down the stairs. I rang the gaurds, but they took so long to come... I ended up going down to investigate.

There was no forced entry at the back or front of the house, meaning they probably had a key. The only things missing were a small tv and some other small electricals.

The creepiest thing though, was the large kitchen knife that was sitting on the counter top... I asked everyone else did they leave it there and they said no! So this person(s) was hiding ready to stab me if I walked into that part of the house... still freaks me out now when I think about that.

Left that house in a hurry less than one week later!

I just wish I had looked out one of the windows fast enough, I might have got the reg plate of the van... but I totally thought it was someone entering the house! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm kinda glad I've nothing to add to this thread but its been my favourite on boards for a looooong time.
    Been reading for hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Upload it!

• Advertisement

Upload it!

;)

I probably would end up sleeping with the light on for a week after anyway.

My dear auld Nan always said, 'Ye have nothing to fear from the dead, tis the living ye need to worry about'

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭identer

Use to believe someone is always following me whenever during night time walk....I got a dog cos of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

identer wrote: »
    Use to believe someone is always following me whenever during night time walk....I got a dog cos of this.

I hate that dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My grandfather died when I was 14 and any time I stayed away from home after that I always felt his presence just before I went to sleep as if he was checking I was ok. I never mentioned it to anyone as I actually found it comforting.
    When I was in college I went off working in Germany for the summer. One night the girl I was sharing a room with was freaked out saying that she could see a tall, old man with white hair, wearing a brown suit and dark rimmed glasses standing next to my bed. That is what I always think of my grandfather wearing anytime I think of him. The poor girl was even more freaked out when I told her it was just my grandfather checking on me. She would never have seen a picture of him so she couldn't have guessed.

Strangely enough once I moved in with my boyfriend he stopped checking on me. It was like he knew I'd be ok just like when I was living at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

This happened about 10 years ago, we had just moved into our newly built house, I shared a room with my brother at the time and during the middle of the night I'm woken to my mother sneaking into the room and locking the door behind her.

Her face was white and I was about to ask what the matter was when I myself listened. As clear as day we could hear a man and a woman talking down stairs, one of them was pacing up and down, I can't really remember exactly what they said but I think it was something like we've to go now.

Frightened the absolute shíte out of me, it was so clear but then it just stopped, went totally quiet, there was a hammer at the top of the stairs so my Mam grabbed that and we snuck downstairs me hiding behind her to find the house empty. The kitchen door was closed, nothing had been touch, no doors open or anything like that.

To this day no one can explain it and in my mind I can still hear them talking, a few other things have happened since but nothing recently thankfully.

It makes us laugh to think my brother slept through it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

Once the hospital couldn't do anything more for my Granda he was brought back to my parents house for his last few days. Because he needed a special bed and quite a bit of equipment, I gave up my bedroom for him and moved on to the sofa. He lasted a few days as expected before passing away. At the time I was working nights, and it was while I was at work that he died. Before leaving for work that day I leaned over and whispered into his ear for him to let go and to go be with my Granny. Everyone else got to say goodbye but I was at work.

A few days passed before all the equipment was taken away and I got my room back. At 2am on the first night I moved back into my bedroom the radio on my hifi came on. It had never done so before and has not done so in the 14 years since.

As an atheist I am sceptical of ghosts / spirits etc, but as soon as I mentioned my mum reckoned it was him saying goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Niemoj wrote: »
    This happened about 10 years ago, we had just moved into our newly built house, I shared a room with my brother at the time and during the middle of the night I'm woken to my mother sneaking into the room and locking the door behind her.

Her face was white and I was about to ask what the matter was when I myself listened. As clear as day we could hear a man and a woman talking down stairs, one of them was pacing up and down, I can't really remember exactly what they said but I think it was something like we've to go now.

Frightened the absolute shíte out of me, it was so clear but then it just stopped, went totally quiet, there was a hammer at the top of the stairs so my Mam grabbed that and we snuck downstairs me hiding behind her to find the house empty. The kitchen door was closed, nothing had been touch, no doors open or anything like that.

To this day no one can explain it and in my mind I can still hear them talking, a few other things have happened since but nothing recently thankfully.

It makes us laugh to think my brother slept through it all!

Is it a detached house?.Any history on the site that its built?.

I heard one years ago from a lad regarding his grandparents detached cottage in the middle of the country.Basically they would hear a baby crying coming from the bottom bedroom.It was as plain as day,would start up sporadically, and went on for months maybe even years to the point they got used to it and took no notice.They had relations call to them one day when it started up,suffice to say,they ran out the door of the house.
    The grandparents then died off and last I heard,the place is now derelict and all overgrown.

• Advertisement

My grandfather died about fifteen years ago after a battle with cancer. Nearing the end, our house was full of my aunties, uncles and cousins coming and going as we were minutes away from the hospital and everyone wanted to be with him before he passed away. The house is your typical three bed semi D. As you walked up our stairway there were individual portrait photographs of me, my sister, my ma, then my granny and grandad. Anyway, there were about fifteen of us in the house one lunchtime for soup and sambos when his portrait fell off the wall and came flying down the stairs. A couple of minutes later the housephone rang and that was that. He passed away. It could have been a gust of wind coming up through the front door(this was December so most likely) or could have been one of my cousins running by and accidentally bumping the photograph after using the upstairs bathroom(likely again,in a house full of hyper youngsters). I'd like to think it was him giving us the heads up and saying one last goodbye! It gave my ma some comfort anyway as she was upset that she wasn't with him right up until the end and I guess that's the main thing.

Spooky coincidence and it weirded me out at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Xdancer wrote: »
    My grandfather died when I was 14 and any time I stayed away from home after that I always felt his presence just before I went to sleep as if he was checking I was ok. I never mentioned it to anyone as I actually found it comforting.
    When I was in college I went off working in Germany for the summer. One night the girl I was sharing a room with was freaked out saying that she could see a tall, old man with white hair, wearing a brown suit and dark rimmed glasses standing next to my bed. That is what I always think of my grandfather wearing anytime I think of him. The poor girl was even more freaked out when I told her it was just my grandfather checking on me. She would never have seen a picture of him so she couldn't have guessed.

Strangely enough once I moved in with my boyfriend he stopped checking on me. It was like he knew I'd be ok just like when I was living at home.

I hope Grandad gave you a bit of alone time to yourself.;)(cough cough)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Is it a detached house?.Any history on the site that its built?.

I heard one years ago from a lad regarding his grandparents detached cottage in the middle of the country.Basically they would hear a baby crying coming from the bottom bedroom.It was as plain as day,would start up sporadically, and went on for months maybe even years to the point they got used to it and took no notice.They had relations call to them one day when it started up,suffice to say,they ran out the door of the house.
    The grandparents then died off and last I heard,the place is now derelict and all overgrown.

It's a semi detached house in an estate, we were one of the first in it though so we'd no neighbours at the time.

It's a square with houses in a row all along and then a little green area in the middle.

On the grounds of the estate there used to be the remains of an old house and years ago these boys were walking home from school and I guess cut through the house for a shortcut and the chimney from the house fell down. To save his younger brothers one of the lads tried to hold it up but it fell on him and he died.

That's a true story, now whether it has any connection to what I've encountered I doubt but it could be. I've a few weird things that have happened in that house that I just can't explain.

Whoo, have just read this entire thread from start to finish! Brilliant thread. I have mostly learned that SKELETON DRIVES CAR, crutches are terrifying, attempted child abduction was rife long before we all started panicking about it and the amount of people that get sleep paralysis is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

Samaris wrote: »
    Whoo, have just read this entire thread from start to finish! Brilliant thread. I have mostly learned that SKELETON DRIVES CAR, crutches are terrifying, attempted child abduction was rife long before we all started panicking about it and the amount of people that get sleep paralysis is amazing.
    Sums it up pretty well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Whyyyyy do I read this thread so late (early?) when I know I'm gonna be too scared to go to sleep. :(

I've read most of the stories but I can't remember the deal with the crutches? Can someone link to the post? Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Whyyyyy do I read this thread so late (early?) when I know I'm gonna be too scared to go to sleep. :(

I've read most of the stories but I can't remember the deal with the crutches? Can someone link to the post? Ta.
    LINK

Haha, The Crutches gets linked every forty pages or so :D Here, have another classic from the early days of the thread.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/247/b/7/scary_stories_by_thegendra-d2y056f.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭darlenmol

Samaris wrote: »
    Haha, The Crutches gets linked every forty pages or so :D Here, have another classic from the early days of the thread.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/247/b/7/scary_stories_by_thegendra-d2y056f.gif

thats evil :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

Niemoj wrote: »
    It's a semi detached house in an estate, we were one of the first in it though so we'd no neighbours at the time.

It's a square with houses in a row all along and then a little green area in the middle.

On the grounds of the estate there used to be the remains of an old house and years ago these boys were walking home from school and I guess cut through the house for a shortcut and the chimney from the house fell down. To save his younger brothers one of the lads tried to hold it up but it fell on him and he died.

That's a true story, now whether it has any connection to what I've encountered I doubt but it could be. I've a few weird things that have happened in that house that I just can't explain.

Do tell..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Lying in bed this morning and could here this drip drip drip noise coming from somewhere in the room, i couldnt for the life of me figure out where it was com7ng from, i then got the image from one of the stories in here about the dog hanging in the wardrobe, anyway i narrowed it down to the ceiling or room above me, up i went only to discover i had let the bloody velux window open in the room above me overnight and it was pissing rain, phew!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement