Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

RonanP77 wrote: »
    How did they mistake you for a ghost? You have to tell the whole story now.
    Sorry, just seeing your request now...

It happened when I was about 12/13. I lived in a pretty rural seaside area and a group of us would swim in the sea every opportunity we got during the summer. There was one shore in particular we would go to that is a bit off the beaten track in the shadow of an old abandoned farmhouse with a little forest around it. You have to cut across fields to get there and until then I had never seen anyone else there but our group.
    Anyway, it was a cloudy day, but warm and I was feeling really clammy after walking there so even though no one else had arrived yet I headed on into the water. It wasn't really for the exercise, but more for the cooling off, so I was just kind of drifting there on my back. I'm the typical pasty faced redhead and at the time my hair reached about halfway down my back and I had left it loose so it was fanning out around me. I was wearing a plain black swimsuit with a baggy white T-shirt over it :)
    Never saw the three European fellas arrive or leave, and didn't know they had been there until I overheard them talking in the bar that night. They didn't see me since I was in the lounge area and they were at the other side in the bar area, but I could hear their full ghost story about myself complete with the barman and some locals telling the history of the farmhouse and some other local ghost stories. Gives me a laugh every time I think of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Even worse was the little creatures, they were everywhere. I'd see them running up the walls, sometimes a bulge in the paint, as if something was actually in the wall, sometimes little black things running about. Going to bed wasn't great because they were always in or on the blankets.

One of my other hallucinations was where my baby was covered in the little creatures crawling all over him. I've had worse ones, too. But only hallucinations, thankfully, and I was always very aware that it logically couldn't be real and I was always very aware that the problem was with me, a problem with my mind, and nothing to do with my child.

I think maybe it helps that I'm in no way religious and I have a scientific mind and I know these things aren't real and I know it's not normal to see or hear these things, and I was able to seek the help I needed.

But it has given me a new depth of understanding into cases where women with puerperal psychosis have done really awful things. You read comments after the fact where people say, "Couldn't she have just killed herself and left the children alive." But having seen the things I've seen, the awful things ...

I'm a reader, I'm an intelligent person, I'm interested in science, I'm interested in psychology and medicine, I was well aware of the condition even before I ever got pregnant, and recognised the symptoms when it happened.

When I started getting the hallucinations, again, after a recent ectopic (i.e. unsuccessful) pregnancy, I knew that this was beyond my control and needed treatment. I sought and (eventually am receiving the right treatment.

But say if I was a person who believed in god(s), or in the supernatural. Even last night. The auditory hallucination I had was frankly quite ... disturbing, it was the first one that was in any way sinister in nature. Even so, it was only vaguely sinister. Most of my auditory hallucinations are just garbled nonsense. And as I said, I just wrote it all down and handed it over to the staff (because I can never remember them afterwards, in fact I can't remember it even now, and I am going to have to ask the nursing staff to show me what I wrote because - while I've a vague idea - I would like to know the wording.)

My point being, say if I were religious, and say if I were less educated in this sort of disorder ... I can see how and why it comes about that these women occasionally do such terrible things. And I'm devastated by it, I truly am. Because it's treatable.

When I read those horrible news stories about mothers who kill themselves and take their babies with them, and read all the comments from posters about how the mother should have just killed herself and left the babies alone ...

I'm privileged. I have health insurance. I got the help I needed. I'm also privileged in that I am educated and objective about my condition and the care that I need right now.

Not every mother has that. Every mother should have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Yes. Some creepy sht happened just the other day.
    Can't believe I get to post here.

So very quick story.
    I was driving around aimlessly, thinking about what to eat, lovely sunny day.
    Drove into the McDonalds car park, behind the McD's itself.
    As can be expected theres always some crows hanging around looking for scraps.

But, as I drove into this partly secluded little area behind the McD's there was a grass patch with maybe 7 or 8 crows standing on the ground ... one of the crows had its wing extended and back to me, frozen in this weird pose, (I thought it must have been dead) with 1 or 2 other crows alongside it also motionless in weird poses looking directly at it, all the other crows had their beaks held open constantly, staring into the distance in various directions. They didn't scatter like normally, just held their pose, some moved a little but kept their beaks held wide open.

It was like some sort of bird funeral, with them looking on at their dead mate, his wings left in the weird position in which he died.

Anyway I sort of backed off to try to look at just what the actual fvck was happening and they started moving again, including the guy in the sort of crow version of some Marilyn Manson pose.

Best guess so far from a little research is that they were sunbathing, no seriously crows actually do this. But yeah that was some freaky sht.

A group of Crows is known as a Murder
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

DeclanRe wrote: »
    A group of Crows is known as a Murder

And two or three crows together is an attempted murder.

*leaves thread*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

A murder of crows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

A pride of lions, a gaggle of geese, and a murder of crows. In England in medieval times it was common to make up words for terms of venery based on their perceived qualities. A shrewdness of apes a swarm of wasps. Apes are clever so shrewdness was apt. Crows were thought to be thieving birds like magpies.

A pride of lions, a gaggle of geese, and a murder of crows. In England in medieval times it was common to make up words for terms of venery based on their perceived qualities. A shrewdness of apes a swarm of wasps. Apes are clever so shrewdness was apt. Crows were thought to be thieving birds like magpies.

Had a primary school teacher who, for a laugh, taught us that it was "flock of turf". Don't know how she kept a straight face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

And I won't be sleeping tonight after some of the posts I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I am a bit of an ape sometimes to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Just to get things back on track... My mother (not that religious) was outside the house one day pickin weeds or sumthin. She was about 20 feet away from the house and saw someone standing in the sitting room lookin out at her through them white lace curtains yokes. My father was away for the day so she thought i had come home early from school. So any way she came into the house to see that the door was still locked since my father left.... and i was still on the school bus at the time.

She told me what she saw as soon as I came home that day. She said it looked like me but as if i was about twenty years older.

I sleep above that room and never have had a strange experience.
    I did have sleep paralysis once, but i had read about it bout a year before so i knew when it was happening.
    Still the worst experiencd of my life.

The mother still swears there's "someone" in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

wilddarts wrote: »
    Just to get things back on track... My mother (not that religious) was outside the house one day pickin weeds or sumthin. She was about 20 feet away from the house and saw someone standing in the sitting room lookin out at her through them white lace curtains yokes. My father was away for the day so she thought i had come home early from school. So any way she came into the house to see that the door was still locked since my father left.... and i was still on the school bus at the time.

She told me what she saw as soon as I came home that day. She said it looked like me but as if i was about twenty years older.

I sleep above that room and never have had a strange experience.
    I did have sleep paralysis once, but i had read about it bout a year before so i knew when it was happening.
    Still the worst experiencd of my life.

The mother still swears there's "someone" in the house.

Reminds me of a story my mother told us. My uncle came to visit us one day and he says as he drove up the avenue, my mother was looking out of one of the upstairs windows waving down at him. When he drove around the back of the house, my mother was in the yard. When he got out of the car he said to her 'that was quick'. She asked him what he was talking about. He said how did she manage to get down the stairs and out through the house so quickly after waving out the window at him. She said she hadn't been upstairs since she came down that morning, so they both went into the house and searched and of course there was nobody there.

The particular room that he saw the figure at the window of, has had other strange occurrences. It is a fairly big bedroom and when we were children, the four girls used to sleep in it in two double beds. One night I was awoken by one of my sisters shouting that there was somebody at the end of her bed. I woke up and looked over and saw a silhouette of an old man wearing a hat leaning over the end of her bed. I just said to her calmly it's ok just go back to sleep. Of course when we got up the next morning and started talking about it, we weren't so calm! We think it was our late grandfather, he was 99 when he died and always wore a big black hat.

A few years later I was sleeping alone in that room. I had an awful night - a feeling of being woken up and tossed and turned in the bed all night long. I had to be up at 6.30 the next morning to get a train to work. i was absolutely exhausted. At about 2.00 pm in the afternoon my mother phoned to say my uncle, who had been born in that very room many years earlier, had died suddenly. I immediately thought that's why I had such a terrible night last night.

The house is vacant now, both my parents are dead. It's out in the country in the middle of nowhere. Every so often I stay over in the house, alone! But I never sleep in that room! I have never had any weird experiences, but these days out in the middle of nowhere in the dead of night, I'm far more afraid of the living than the dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

The house is vacant now, both my parents are dead. It's out in the country in the middle of nowhere. Every so often I stay over in the house, alone! But I never sleep in that room! I have never had any weird experiences, but these days out in the middle of nowhere in the dead of night, I'm far more afraid of the living than the dead

Ooooh. Spooky boardsie sleepover time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Kovu wrote: »
    Ooooh. Spooky boardsie sleepover time :D

Count me in :eek:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Someone will have to bring booze!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭biketard

wilddarts wrote: »

Will be even weirder if, in about 20 years, you are standing at your sitting room window and wave to who you think is your mum outside (who then, strangely, appears to be about 20 years younger).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

biketard wrote: »
    Will be even weirder if, in about 20 years, you are standing at your sitting room window and wave to who you think is your mum outside (who then, strangely, appears to be about 20 years younger).

dude, you just blew my mind!

The story with crows reminds me of one of my aunts creepy animal stories.

This happened when she was in her early teens and visiting her aunt +uncle who lived in the middle of nowhere. It was a bright warm day out and she'd been sent outside to play. The house was surrounded by trees and brambles at the back garden and she was sitting on a wall listening to the birds sing (which she says there were quite a few out), when suddenly all sound just stopped in the area. She got an eerie feeling like the hairs raising on the back of her neck. It was like for a little while she felt like she couldnt/ shouldnt move. Couldn't figure out where the feeling was coming from until from the side of the garden she saw movement.
    It was two weasels carrying a dead one between them with four weasels of different sizes following behind. They walked slowly across the garden and disappeared through the other side. Some time later (maybe 5minutes or so) the birds started singing again and the strange feeling she had went away so she could go back inside to tell her aunt + uncle. Her uncle told her it was a weasel funeral and that seeing them so close to the house was a bad omen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

redbel05 wrote: »
    The story with crows reminds me of one of my aunts creepy animal stories.

This happened when she was in her early teens and visiting her aunt +uncle who lived in the middle of nowhere. It was a bright warm day out and she'd been sent outside to play. The house was surrounded by trees and brambles at the back garden and she was sitting on a wall listening to the birds sing (which she says there were quite a few out), when suddenly all sound just stopped in the area. She got an eerie feeling like the hairs raising on the back of her neck. It was like for a little while she felt like she couldnt/ shouldnt move. Couldn't figure out where the feeling was coming from until from the side of the garden she saw movement.
    It was two weasels carrying a dead one between them with four weasels of different sizes following behind. They walked slowly across the garden and disappeared through the other side. Some time later (maybe 5minutes or so) the birds started singing again and the strange feeling she had went away so she could go back inside to tell her aunt + uncle. Her uncle told her it was a weasel funeral and that seeing them so close to the house was a bad omen.

You hear of weasel funerals a lot as a bit of a 'rural legend' but it's rare to meet anyone who has ever seen one so always been a bit sceptical.

redbel05 wrote: »

Weaseling out of going to funerals is important to learn. Its what separates us from animals...except the weasel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

You hear of weasel funerals a lot as a bit of a 'rural legend' but it's rare to meet anyone who has ever seen one so always been a bit sceptical.

http://www.all-about-ferrets.com/weasel-folklore.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/stewardess-survives-31-000-foot-fall-a-weasel-funeral-and-a-tax-on-gramophones-1.701331

Have to say I've never heard of weasel funerals before and am absolutely fascinated by this. A couple of links above I found on the internet. If anyone else can find a better description I'd love to see it. Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but we don't have weasels in ireland, stoats and minks but not weasels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

fryup wrote: »
    but we don't have weasels in ireland, stoats and minks but not weasels

Stoats are very often, albeit incorrectly, referred to as weasels in this country.

well do stoats have funerals ??

well do stoats have funerals ??

Probably not, but then I doubt if weasels do either. ;)

Best speculation I've heard is that when people see this, it's actually a stoat and its offspring taking some prey back home.

Best speculation I've heard is that when people see this, it's actually a stoat and its offspring taking some prey back home.

yes something rational

but in a country where people believe in fairy forts, moving statues and worship tree stumps, rationality goes out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

A Flange of Baboons is now a scientifically accepted term for a group of baboons after first being coined in a sketch on Not the Nine O Clock News

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

worship tree stumps

The Mary Stump?
    :D

Probably not, but then I doubt if weasels do either. ;)

Ah Max why'd ya have to be such a buzz kill, I loved that story of the Weasel Funeral, simple person that I am. Now I've had to go and apply your logic and it's just ruined it for me. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

http://www.all-about-ferrets.com/weasel-folklore.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/stewardess-survives-31-000-foot-fall-a-weasel-funeral-and-a-tax-on-gramophones-1.701331

Have to say I've never heard of weasel funerals before and am absolutely fascinated by this. A couple of links above I found on the internet. If anyone else can find a better description I'd love to see it. Thanks guys.

Very interesting. Try googling stoat funeral as well. Sadly, like all the best stories, it seems to be a myth. :(

• Advertisement

Ah Max why'd ya have to be such a buzz kill, I loved that story of the Weasel Funeral, simple person that I am. Now I've had to go and apply your logic and it's just ruined it for me. :p

Don't mind me, my logic could be stupid and the stoats might be laughing at us silly humans who keep underestimating them. ;)

I began tucking my 5 year old into bed and he tells me, “Daddy check for monsters under my bed.” I look underneath for his amusement and see him, another him, under the bed, staring back at me quivering and whispering, “Daddy there’s somebody on my bed.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Stoats are very often, albeit incorrectly, referred to as weasels in this country.

Reminds me of the old joke - What is the difference between a weasel and a stoat?

A weasel is weasily wecognised, but a stoat is stoatily different!

I'll see myself out. Although as a note on that, seeing four to six weasels in the open would very likely make all the birds in the area shut up for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Omackeral wrote: »
    I began tucking my 5 year old into bed and he tells me, “Daddy check for monsters under my bed.” I look underneath for his amusement and see him, another him, under the bed, staring back at me quivering and whispering, “Daddy there’s somebody on my bed.”

Credited to a Juan J Ruiz. Felicitationes!

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Wooo....that is very creepy....

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, the creepy thing is I don't even have any kids!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Realist2

one time i was sleeping on my own, in a pitch black room, i woke up seen a shadow that looked like the outline about the same size of a person, who shouted boo, i jumped out of bed and banged my head off the wall, turned on the light, nothing there, have slept with a lamp since, before that was sleeping in a room in my friends house, it was haunted, i was told by the person staying there that he woke up in the middle of the night and he seen the things on his shelf moving, when i stayed there, it was horrific, i kept the light on, didn't help, i heard screaming, kept the door open, still it was bad, a terrible feeling engulfed me that whole night, thats all for now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Given the amount of ghosts that are likely to actually yell "BOO!", I suspect you wuz had on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

Has anyone seen a King Rat? It's where their tails fuse together in the nest or something and you get a moving ball of rats going around doing rat things.

Has anyone seen a King Rat? It's where their tails fuse together in the nest or something and you get a moving ball of rats going around doing rat things.

First of all I thought you were talking about "Nidge" but then I read it in full and Jesus, what a sight, I hate Rats. :eek:

Edit: found this : https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/Ratking.jpg

https://f1.bcbits.com/img/a0591579875_10.jpg

Yeuch!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

You are Halo Jones and I claim my £5.

AHh..............The Rat Pack.....They were great in their day :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I was at a Stoat funeral but I got Stocious and Let myself down.

The Stoats weren't happy and put me under omertà but when I drink I am a liability………….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Only rats would come up with something so freaky.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Terry Pratchett wrote about a Rat King in 'Maurice and his Educated Rodents' very terrifying!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_king_(folklore)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

mud wrote: »
    Terry Pratchett wrote about a Rat King in 'Maurice and his Educated Rodents' very terrifying!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_king_(folklore)

and this.. (amazing books!)

http://www.thehorrorsection.com/2008/06/rat-trilogy.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I see things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭semionova

Yeah all on the internet from bullies who will not leave me alone. Leave me alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Creepy thing happened to me a couple of weeks back.

I went out for a few drinks with some mates and at around half 1, I decided to head home from the pub. There's a shortcut to my house where you can cut through a street of houses, go under an archway and it brings you out onto my road. I often took this route home as it's close to the pub and the tube station and this night was no different. I walked along the street by the houses, but when I came round the corner to nip under the archway I saw a man there, kneeling on the ground. He was rooting through a bag quite frantically, and I was a bit shocked at seeing him there on the ground that I stopped in my tracks. He sensed I was there and stopped what he was doing and just stared me out of it for a few seconds. I was feeling pretty nervous about all of this and didn't quite know what to do. He then got to his feet and started walking towards me while aggressively jabbering absolute nonsense and making weird noises. I was freaked and booked it out of there. I could hear him shouting after me, but I didn't stop to look if he was following me, just kept running the long way back to my house.

I reckon he was off his head on something, but I got a pretty intimidating vibe off him. I think he would have hurt me if I'd tried to pass him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement