Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA use Goal-Line Technology at a club tournament for the first time ever.

• 13-12-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭

Fifa have used goal line technology for the first time ever in a official tournament. FIFA are trialling two goal-line technology systems, GoalRef and Hawk-Eye. I don't know if they switch systems between games or they have one in place on each goal during a match but obviously its going to be massive contract to roll out the systems to club football for the makers of which system they deem to be the best.

On a basic level it works like this. The ball is carrying a computer chip and the goal-frame is surrounded by a laser guard and when the ball crosses the line, the ref who is wearing a special watch will get an alert like we see in the picture below, so the good thing is that it is instantaneous and there should be no need for long consultations with extra officials.

The game between Chelsea and Monterrey was a non event in terms of "did it cross the line" incidents and FIFA haven't as yet released any information or evaluations on how they think the technology preformed and the ease of which the officials interacted with it but hopefully once the tournament is over they will release their impressions.

I was taken back by how clunky it looks in place on the goal frame but it may be a sight we will have to get used to at the top level very soon.

15373855.jpg

A-referee-demonstrates-th-008.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Then people will complain about bribing the ref and all that..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Fifa have used goal line technology for the first time ever in a official tournament. FIFA are trialling two goal-line technology systems, GoalRef and Hawk-Eye. I don't know if they switch systems between games or they have one in place on each goal during a match but obviously its going to be massive contract to roll out the systems to club football for the makers of which system they deem to be the best.

On a basic level it works like this. The ball is carrying a computer chip and the goal-frame is surrounded by a laser guard and when the ball crosses the line, the ref who is wearing a special watch will get an alert like we see in the picture below, so the good thing is that it is instantaneous and there should be no need for long consultations with extra officials.

The game between Chelsea and Monterrey was a non event in terms of "did it cross the line" incidents and FIFA haven't as yet released any information or evaluations on how they think the technology preformed and the ease of which the officials interacted with it but hopefully once the tournament is over they will release their impressions.

I was taken back by how clunky it looks in place on the goal frame but it may be a sight we will have to get used to at the top level very soon.

15373855.jpg

A-referee-demonstrates-th-008.jpg

Each game will alternate which system is on trial.

So that game was trialling GoalRef. Next game will trial Hawk-Eye.

Hawk-Eye is the better system IMO as it doesn't require any modification of the ball or the goal line.

What happens if a player gets pushed into those pieces of kit on the post? Will it take such abuse? Hard to believe it can be that sturdy with such little surface area to attach on to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,258 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What if the ball hits it (inside the goal)?
    1) does it break and thus involve a lengthy gap in play
    2) Does the ball rebound back out?
    3) Both?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Hawk-Eye's been a great addition to Tennis,It's entertaining as well as conclusive.

It's about time soccer started using this stuff,****ing dark ages in comparison to other sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

The first stadium used was trialing Hawk-Eye: there was no incidents where it was needed.
    The second stadium (Yokohama I think) is trialing GoalRef: no incidents so far.

So there will essentially have been nothing tested unless something happens on Sunday!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The first stadium used was trialing Hawk-Eye: there was no incidents where it was needed.
    The second stadium (Yokohama I think) is trialing GoalRef: no incidents so far.

So there will essentially have been nothing tested unless something happens on Sunday!!

They still get to test for false positives, which would also be a possible issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't see the need for goal-line technology at all. I think a replay system would be fine where an official gets to look at replays to determine if there was a goal or not just like the NFL. What they do in that sport is make a decision which stands pending replay. If the replay clearly shows that the decision was wrong the it is overturned, to overturn there must be incontrovertible visual evidence.

I prefer this system because its still about seeing it, its just slowed down and you have other angles to see it from. Also the game doesn't lose the argument fully because people can still say it was a goal even if its not clear which can happen with instant replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't see the need for goal-line technology at all. I think a replay system would be fine where an official gets to look at replays to determine if there was a goal or not just like the NFL. What they do in that sport is make a decision which stands pending replay. If the replay clearly shows that the decision was wrong the it is overturned, to overturn there must be incontrovertible visual evidence.

I prefer this system because its still about seeing it, its just slowed down and you have other angles to see it from. Also the game doesn't lose the argument fully because people can still say it was a goal even if its not clear which can happen with instant replay.

This.

Add Challenges too, and then we can finally take Football out of the Dark Ages and minimize Human Error.

so what happens with a ball cleared off the line up to a striker who then scores?
    when do you review the first "goal"?

i think a system that immediately indicates the ball has crossed the line avoid all this.
    otherwise it's up to the reef to decide when to check the replay and if the ball is still in play he is potentially affecting the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

GreeBo wrote: »
    so what happens with a ball cleared off the line up to a striker who then scores?

i think a system that immediately indicates the ball has crossed the line avoid all this.
    otherwise it's up to the reef to decide when to check the replay and if the ball is still in play he is potentially affecting the game.

The Fourth Official does. Or if you want a 5th Official, solely in charge of replays.

As long as he doesn't notify the Ref, if a Goal has been made, then play continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

GreeBo wrote: »

The be honest there is no way the ball is going to move quick enough from goal to goal before the referee decides so that won't be an issue.

Regarding the chip in the ball, where in the ball is it located?...if it's in the middle what happens if it goes off and not all the ball crosses the line?....or are there several chips located around the ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭bren2001

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The be honest there is no way the ball is going to move quick enough from goal to goal before the referee decides so that won't be an issue.

Regarding the chip in the ball, where in the ball is it located?...if it's in the middle what happens if it goes off and not all the ball crosses the line?....or are there several chips located around the ball?

Well with Hawk Eye there is no chip in the ball. It uses a series of cameras (ten in tennis I think) to track the movement of the ball. From that it can determine the exact location.

If it works as well and as quickly as we have seen it in tennis or cricket then I see absolutely no reason not to introduce it.

challenges and replays require the game to be stopped though, i think the technology alerting the ref immediately is far superior. agreed however that replays etc allow for far more than just checking the ball crossing the line...

I'm assuming the chip is in the middle of ball and the technology allows for this

Advertisement