Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn has sore throat.

Options
  • 13-12-2012 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

My little boy is only six weeks on Saturday and has picked up a virus and sore throat. had doctor out and he advised a small amount of calpol 4 times a day. His temperature went up to nearly 39 but is now staying around 37. I'm so worried it's going to develop into More serious. Has anyone else experienced this with their baby this young?

I'm so worried about him :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

sleepytrees I think it's quite normal for babies around this age to get colds etc. my son got sick around that stage and I've since spoken to other mums and read posts on here and other forums where mums have said the same thing.

I suppose it's their immune system getting going. They get a cold and start building up their immunity.

If you're breastfeeding keep at it as you'll pass some of your antibodies to your baby which will help.

Give the calpol as per your docs advise and monitor the temp regularly. A good way to regulate your babies temp is to do skin to skin so your body temp will help regulate his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

sleepytrees I think it's quite normal for babies around this age to get colds etc. my son got sick around that stage and I've since spoken to other mums and read posts on here and other forums where mums have said the same thing.

I suppose it's their immune system getting going. They get a cold and start building up their immunity.

If you're breastfeeding keep at it as you'll pass some of your antibodies to your baby which will help.

Give the calpol as per your docs advise and monitor the temp regularly. A good way to regulate your babies temp is to do skin to skin so your body temp will help regulate his.

Good to know it's normal! It's just so difficult seeing him being sick :(

Great tip about the skin to skin!

constantly monitoring temp. it was back up to 38 but he was due the calpol.

Can't wait for him to be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Keep calm chick, he'll get over it soon. Lots of cuddles from mammy will help too. You know where I am if you need anything,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

January wrote: »
    Keep calm chick, he'll get over it soon. Lots of cuddles from mammy will help too. You know where I am if you need anything,

Sure do :) Thanks January :D

Must resist urge to check his temperature every second :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

We had the sane thing at about ten weeks - sore throat is awful as they can find it hard to feed :( keep up the Calpol to prevent that becoming an issue and as the others say - nothing beats their mammies cuddles and reassurance!! A couple if days and hopefully it'll be a distant memory!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

our little guy had a cough at 6 weeks that would beat any old man cough who smoked 80 fags a day his whole life lol. I remember bringing him out for fresh air and I'm felt everyone must be thinking I was the worst mum from the looks I got when he coughed.I was when he got chicken pox at 8 weeks that that paranoia really kicked in though lol.

hope he's better soon....and youre alright xxx

ps the worry that it will turn into somethin more serious never goes away ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sure do :) Thanks January :D

Must resist urge to check his temperature every second :P

Know that feeling... thankfully, it goes away after the third child. You get a bit more calm and know when to panic. Trust your instincts though, if you feel he's not right don't hesitate to call the doc back out.

Advertisement