Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Large(ish)/Reliable Car

• 13-12-2012 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭

Car is in the garage again; third time in the last couple of month. Seems to be €400/500 each time regardless of the issue mainly due to labour and expensive parts.

Also with tax having gone up to €710 now a year I have decided that I need to change it.

I don't do a lot of mileage a year 10K km or less, need a fairly big boot and am looking for something that will be reliable and cheap to repair/ service.

I was looking at 08/09 Mondeos however the 1.6 seems to be under powered and the 2.0 will be expensive to run and tax.

Looking for something in the 9/10K mark.

Also am I better to try and so something this side of X-mas or wait till the New Year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

TRS30 wrote: »
    Car is in the garage again; third time in the last couple of month. Seems to be €400/500 each time regardless of the issue mainly due to labour and expensive parts.

Also with tax having gone up to €710 now a year I have decided that I need to change it.

I don't do a lot of mileage a year 10K km or less, need a fairly big boot and am looking for something that will be reliable and cheap to repair/ service.

I was looking at 08/09 Mondeos however the 1.6 seems to be under powered and the 2.0 will be expensive to run and tax.

Looking for something in the 9/10K mark.

Also am I better to try and so something this side of X-mas or wait till the New Year?

A 2.0 2008/2009 Mondeo expensive tax? How much is it 220 euros?
    Mondeos are usually cheap to run anyway/fix anyway.

What car do you have currently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Ford Focus!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Octavia,has to be an octavia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

It's hard to suggest something until I know what your driving currently.
    Anyway here's somethings to bear in mind. As you do low mileage I would go with a petrol over a diesel, stay above '08 for the O2 based tax system, go small to medium engine, up to 1.6ish for better fuel economy and go small unless you genuinely need a big car. good cars in with these characteristics would be a Golf, Focus, Tiida, Note,Corolla or similar. Larger cars will be heavier on fuel especially if you go for a 1.4 or 1.6 Octavia hence suggesting something mid range.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Octavia,has to be an octavia.
    Superb, Superb Avant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Not cheap to tax, nor especially fuel effecient, but an Accord 2.0i VTEC has to be one of the most reliable cars available. Oil change every year and it will probably last longer than you OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bazz26 wrote: »

To be honest, if I had ten grand to spend I'd be on my way to Dublin to look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Currently drive a Saab 93 1.8T.

I didn't realise the tax on a 2.0l Mondeo was only €220. Is that definitely right?

The boot in the Focus is not big enough. I have heard some bad things about Passats and reliability. The Mazada 6 looks nice, how reliable are these in general, cost to repair/ service etc?

I have heard good things about Accords however are expensive and dont think I could afford a 08/09 one and older ones will be high tax.

Currently drive a Saab 93 1.8T.

I didn't realise the tax on a 2.0l Mondeo was only €220. Is that definitely right?

I think he is referring to the diesel Mondeo, the 1.6/2.0 litre petrol Mondeos were killed off in late 2008 as their Co2 emmissions put them in a very high tax bracket which made them saleproof. Anything registered in 2008 would have still been on the old tax system.
    The boot in the Focus is not big enough. I have heard some bad things about Passats and reliability. The Mazada 6 looks nice, how reliable are these in general, cost to repair/ service etc?

That model Passat had a bad reputation for reliability when it was first launched in 2005, however most of the issues should have been rectified by 2008, also despite being only 1.4 litre it has a turbo charger and well able to get around.

The Mazda 6 petrols are very reliable and give very little trouble but spare parts can be on the expensive side compared to other more popular brands, in the event something does need replacing. The 2008 onward petrols are actually slightly cheaper to tax too.
    I have heard good things about Accords however are expensive and dont think I could afford a 08/09 one and older ones will be high tax.

2008 onward petrol Accords cost around the same to tax as the pre 2008 models, again they are about as reliable as you can get.

OP, while you are concerned about motor tax remember this, anything that is cheap to tax usually costs alot more to buy, hence the high cost of used 2008 onwards diesel cars versus the lower cost price of petrol cars like the Mazda 6. The best value is in buying something that is not popular with the masses, ie petrol cars that cost more than €400 to tax per year. The difference in purchanse price will buy a fair chunk of motor tax.

• Advertisement

OP, while you are concerned about motor tax remember this, anything that is cheap to tax usually costs alot more to buy, hence the high cost of used 2008 onwards diesel cars versus the lower cost price of petrol cars like the Mazda 6. The best value is in buying something that is not popular with the masses, ie petrol cars that cost more than €400 to tax per year. The difference in purchanse price will buy a fair chunk of motor tax.

Good logical thinking.

Any suggestions?

Good logical thinking.

Any suggestions?

See my earlier posts around the Mazda 6 and Passat.

See my earlier posts around the Mazda 6 and Passat.

Apologies, didn't see that post was from you.

Do really like the Mondeos however seems the 2.0 is required because of the size of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

It's hard to suggest something until I know what your driving currently.
    Anyway here's somethings to bear in mind. As you do low mileage I would go with a petrol over a diesel, stay above '08 for the O2 based tax system, go small to medium engine, up to 1.6ish for better fuel economy and go small unless you genuinely need a big car. good cars in with these characteristics would be a Golf, Focus, Tiida, Note,Corolla or similar. Larger cars will be heavier on fuel especially if you go for a 1.4 or 1.6 Octavia hence suggesting something mid range.
    Best of luck.
    Feck all difference between the weight of an Octavia and Focus or Golf. And in fairness, a Tiida should never, ever be recommended to anyone unless it's free.
    Bazz's suggestions are fairly on the money alright, the Mazda will be very reliable.
    Mondeo 2 litre diesel is good too but more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Apologies, didn't see that post was from you.

Do really like the Mondeos however seems the 2.0 is required because of the size of the car.

And even then there isn't much go, the diesel doesn't feel as bad as the petrol but that's the way with any diesel - mid range gives a decent turn of speed but it dies off by 4k revs. I'd be willing to wager that the 2 litre petrol would not be noticable less economical than the 1.6 due to the weight of the car. They are a very heavy car and can take some getting used to at the start. Make sure it has rear sensors, especially in the saloon as rearward visibility is very poor.

And even then there isn't much go, the diesel doesn't feel as bad as the petrol but that's the way with any diesel - mid range gives a decent turn of speed but it dies off by 4k revs. I'd be willing to wager that the 2 litre petrol would not be noticable less economical than the 1.6 due to the weight of the car. They are a very heavy car and can take some getting used to at the start. Make sure it has rear sensors, especially in the saloon as rearward visibility is very poor.

Seems to be very few 2 L petrol Mondeos around with decent mileage. Just been looking on Carzone.

Agree about the rear sensors as my Dad has the hatchback and says it would be very difficult to park without them.

Seems to be very few 2 L petrol Mondeos around with decent mileage. Just been looking on Carzone.

Agree about the rear sensors as my Dad has the hatchback and says it would be very difficult to park without them.

But do you realistically need a car the size of the Mondeo?

But do you realistically need a car the size of the Mondeo?

Not necessarily; just need something with a large boot that that is reliable and cheap enough to tax and repair etc.

Am looking at Mazada 6 and Passats as bazz26 suggested.

Does anyone know if the Passat 1.4 is taxed at the 1.4 rate as it has a turbo?

Having a turbo fitted has no direct impact on the rate of motor tax.

So whats the indirect impact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

The one in the ad is 2008, so it should be based on emissions?

wonski wrote: »
    The one in the ad is 2008, so it should be based on emissions?

Just looking at one on carzone and was 08- D - 62K something and the tax disc said €481!!

Just looking at one on carzone and was 08- D - 62K something and the tax disc said €481!!

I bet it wasn't 1.4TSI. More likely 2.0 petrol?

Probably if it is on the emmissions based system. The early 2008 Passat 1.4 TSi did not have as low emmissions as the later models so a 2008 1.4TSi could have had similar a similar motor tax rate on either system.

€481 would be correct for a 2008 1.4 TSi on the new system. I think they got revised lower emmissions in late 2009 or early 2010 where the motor tax would have been €330 afaik.

Again though motor tax should not be the single deciding factor when buying a car as it is not the most expensive cost of car ownership.

€481 would be correct for a 2008 1.4 TSi on the new system. I think they got revised lower emmissions in late 2009 or early 2010 where the motor tax would have been €330 afaik.

Again though motor tax should not be the single deciding factor when buying a car as it is not the most expensive cost of car ownership.

True, but i can see some of those taxed for 358?
    It seems that all models registered between Jan-July are still on the cc based system, and have not been moved to the new one. If one bought it after July, he would have to pay 481.
    Not a big difference anyway.

I was wrong, bazz26 made it clear now. They had higher emissions back then.
    Models registered before July 2008 are cheaper as it is based on cc, not on emissions.

Completely agree and dont want to focus too much on this, it is only one factor.

For me reliabiality is most important and then when something does go wrong that it doesnt cost the earth to get it fixed. It is for this reason why i was keen on the Mondeo.

Also is it better to try do a deal this side of the New Year or not? Are dealer more willing to sell?

Also what are peoples thoughts on private v dealers?

• Advertisement

View2-16243032.jpeg
    Smashing car!

I had the older version, in lower spec, but with the same engine.

Bought with 96,000km traded with 177,000km. Had to replace a couple of bulbs, front brake pads and service it every 20,000km or thereabouts. Eventually had to put a new battery in, but that's only because it spent a good few months lying up and the phone kit wasn't fitted right so drained the battery.

Never let me down (had a booster pack for the days it wouldn't start under its own power), very comfy, decent low down torque for pottering around & better high end power than most other N/A 2.0i engines. The EX is top spec for Ireland and that model is much better to drive than my model, although I've only even driven the diesel in the new model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

How about a Chevrolet Lacetti? People who have driven Lacetti's befre include, Simon Cowell, Jay Leno, Jay Kay, Mark Wahlberg, Usain Bolt......

flazio wrote: »
    How about a Chevrolet Lacetti? People who have driven Lacetti's befre include, Simon Cowell, Jay Leno, Jay Kay, Mark Wahlberg, Usain Bolt......

Haha I get it..

flazio wrote: »

Bolt was faster on foot than Lacetti on track...

• Advertisement

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/Mazda6/4Dr-1.8-/31113553954294590/advert?channel=CARS

Might go have a look at this in the morning as they are right beside me.

Look quite nice, any thing to look out for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It reduces your motor tax compared to a non-turbo car of equivalent* power.

*A turbocharger forces more air into the engine turning your 1.4l engine into the power equivalent of a 1.6 or 1.7.

If you are happy to go 2.0 litre then that would be my first choice over the Mazda 6 or VW Passat. Those Accords petrols giver very little trouble and that is alot of car for the money. They are not that bad on fuel either and the engine is mechanically straight forward with no complex setup. The EX model will have all you need in toys too. If I remember correctly that particular car has been on sale for a while so there should be some good wiggle room on that price.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/Mazda6/4Dr-1.8-/31113553954294590/advert?channel=CARS

Might go have a look at this in the morning as they are right beside me.

Look quite nice, any thing to look out for?

That seems like a very basic model. Bit of shopping around and you should find a decent spec example, and at 3-4 years old the price difference won't be much if any.

• Advertisement

If you are happy to go 2.0 litre then that would be my first choice over the Mazda 6 or VW Passat. Those Accords petrols giver very little trouble and that is alot of car for the money. They are not that bad on fuel either and the engine is mechanically straight forward with no complex setup. The EX model will have all you need in toys too. If I remember correctly that particular car has been on sale for a while so there should be some good wiggle room on that price.

This is very tempting especially if I could get it for say €11K.

Any idea what the tax on this is?

Would an AA check be worth the money?

Still the same spec as far as I can see. I think Executive SE is the better one or else Sport.

Tax should be 750/year from January, if 172g/km is correct...
    But it looks nice.

Emissions on an 09 Accord Petrol seem to be 189g, which will be €750 per year next time it's taxed.

No wonder it's been for sale a while - so much for cheaper tax post 08, would only (ha) have been €710 on CC.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Emissions on an 09 Accord Petrol seem to be 189g, which will be €750 per year next time it's taxed.

No wonder it's been for sale a while - so much for cheaper tax post 08, would only (ha) have been €710 on CC.

It couldn't last to long anyway. In few years most of the cars will be post 08.

Still the same spec as far as I can see. I think Executive SE is the better one or else Sport.

The chepest Sport spec I could see was €14.5K for a '08.

I could nearly live with that amount of tax if I knew it would be trouble free motoring!!

Anyone know how much AA checks are? Don't want to have to fill out the form just to get an idea.

I could nearly live with that amount of tax if I knew it would be trouble free motoring!!

Anyone know how much AA checks are? Don't want to have to fill out the form just to get an idea.

The AA are very expensive for this sort of thing, think it is upwards of €200.

The blue car shown earlier - €8450, 08 1.8, 64k miles.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4305149

Silver Saloon, priced high though. - €10k, 08 1.8, 112k km

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4294313

Similar to the above but lowe miles and €9.5k

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4272343

2009 Mondeo 2 litre petrol - I'd imagine the motor tax is pretty steep though.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4284922

I could nearly live with that amount of tax is i knew it would be trouble free motoring!!

Think the AA is roughly €300, which is a bit on the pricey side in my opinion.

With it being a Honda, which looks like it has a stamped book, I'd take the chance if it checks out on a test drive, and the garages listed in the book confirm the history. Worth getting a Motorcheck / cartell check done to make sure there is no finance outstanding.

In fairness back in 2008 manufactuers were not overly concerned about the Irish market, especially Honda who don't have a huge market share here anyway. I doubt Honda were going to dramatically change the emmissions on the petrol Accord because of the small Irish market. Any petrol Accords sold here after 2008 where probably already in the country at that stage before being deleted from the line up. A 2009 1.4 Ford Focus and 1.6 Toyota Avensis cost over €500 to tax under the new system also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement