Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student/FETAC Level 5

Options
  • 13-12-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Well Lads, Just have a couple of queries which I'm hoping someone could help with.

Here is some quick background info for more of an insight on my situation. In 2009 I attended WIT for an undergraduate course, which i passed the first semester and failed the second (mainly through lack of interest, going out etc.) Soon after I went to Australia for roughly 20 months, and through my experiences working abroad & at home, I have now returned home with the absolute determination of completing a college degree in the coming years.

I am currently 22 years of age and wont be 23 until September 2013. So I will be looking to start college in 2014. With the option of applying through the CAO not plausible, as I do not have a strong LC (260 points) and the course I wish to do is Humanities in St.Patricks Drumcondra, which roughly has a cut off of 390-400 each year, I am currently looking into the mature student or FETAC option.

These are some of my questions:

Has the level of Mature student applications increased in the last couple of years?

Would the course I failed to complete in WIT botch any chance I would have of gaining a mature student spot?

There are only up to 5 spaces available for FETAC applicants, Does anyone have any experience on how hard one of these are to obtain?

As all of my work experience is physical work, Would it help to do a FETAC even if I am applying via the Mature student route? Would it stand to my application?

Generally, how long does a level 5 FETAC take to complete? and what months of the year would they commence/terminate?

And finally, Can you apply for multiple mature student positions in different colleges? I.e, contact different colleges directly and do multiple interviews? (I do understand the complexity and organization in a MT application)

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Evan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Kinda in the same situation as yourself Evan.

I'm 23 at the moment, doing a Fetac level 5 course that has nothing to do with the 3rd level course I want next year.

My Fetac course started early September and is supposed to finish late May.

I got offered a course after my LC but didn't take it up. That course is not the course I'm after now.

Also I got 220 points in my LC 'IIRC' and the course I want is around 460 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭evan2509

Kinda in the same situation as yourself Evan.

I'm 23 at the moment, doing a Fetac level 5 course that has nothing to do with the 3rd level course I want next year.

My Fetac course started early September and is supposed to finish late May.

I got offered a course after my LC but didn't take it up. That course is not the course I'm after now.

Also I got 220 points in my LC 'IIRC' and the course I want is around 460 points.

Very good. Will you be applying for the mature student position or through the CAO?

I've heard it's difficult to obtain a mature student position, that was 2 years ago. I assume it has got harder.

Times like these I wish I bothered studying for the LC!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

I believe you apply through the CAO if your Mature or Fetac.
    My LC points won't get me the course I want.

I would agree that it will be alot harder to get in the mature route as more educated people are jobless and returning to education.

Have to agree with you Evan on the more studying for the LC!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

evan2509 wrote: »
    Well Lads, Just have a couple of queries which I'm hoping someone could help with.
    These are some of my questions:

Has the level of Mature student applications increased in the last couple of years?

In general yes :)
    However this year has seen a slight drop in Mature applicants to 3rd level and after the recent budget changes to education funding there will probably be another slight reducation in 2013 and possibly 2014.

Would the course I failed to complete in WIT botch any chance I would have of gaining a mature student spot?
    Not really to be honest. Colleges are used to dealing with students who dropped out of courses straight after school and then come back as Matures. If you are able to offer a relatively valid reason for not completing the course, e.g illness, it was the wrong course for you, family issues, etc, you should be ok.
    One thing just to check out is whether the time spent in WIT will affect your free fees or other education funding for your new course. St Pats should be able to tell you that.

There are only up to 5 spaces available for FETAC applicants, Does anyone have any experience on how hard one of these are to obtain?

For most courses there are usually more qualified FETAC applicants than there are places. The CAO can then use a lottery system to determine who gets those places. So even if you do a level 5 FETAC and get distinctions across all modules you aren't guaranteed a place on the course. Under the new common awards system, CAS, 8 distinctions in a FETAC level 5 course gives you a FETAC points score of 400. I'm not sure if this would enable you to complete for places with LC students as this is a new FETAC scoring system. FETAC could tell you more.
    As all of my work experience is physical work, Would it help to do a FETAC even if I am applying via the Mature student route? Would it stand to my application?

If it has been a significant while since you were in education and if you are hoping to do a course that is very different to your work or life experience then doing a preparatory course next year is a good idea. It underlines your commitment to learning and shows you have tried to prepare for re-entering third level education as an adult. It also strengthens your application.

Generally, how long does a level 5 FETAC take to complete? and what months of the year would they commence/terminate?

A FETAC level 5 course usually comprises 8 individual modules. Many are full-time over one academic year and would start in September and run until May. Some adult ed centers offer part-time courses but these will take longer to complete.

You can look up most courses in Ireland on the national courses website http://www.qualifax.ie
    And finally, Can you apply for multiple mature student positions in different colleges? I.e, contact different colleges directly and do multiple interviews? (I do understand the complexity and organization in a MT application)

Yes, you can apply for up to 20 third level courses across the IOT and University/ College sector. Most mature applications are through the CAO, i.e one application form to CAO who then forward it to all the colleges you are applying for.

NUI Maynooth, Trinity, DCU and the Pontifical Uni at Maynooth require you to apply both to the CAO and directly to them as well.

And some further colleges require you to apply directly to them and not through CAO at all. A list of these colleges are found on page 7 of this years CAO handbook http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index.php

Hope this helps somewhat.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭evan2509

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Hope this helps somewhat.
    :)

Thank you very much for taking the time to write that, yes it did help quite a bit. Some good info in there.

The course I am looking to do has 5 compatible FETAC course which make you eligable if you achieve a certain amount of distinctions etc.

I have been told some colleges are harder that others to get in via the mature route. There is a course in Mater Dei which I would like to do but the website says and Irish oral has to be completed along with the interview, even though the course (History & Religion) does not have any Irish in it. Does this happen often?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I have been told some colleges are harder that others to get in via the mature route. There is a course in Mater Dei which I would like to do but the website says and Irish oral has to be completed along with the interview, even though the course (History & Religion) does not have any Irish in it. Does this happen often?

Are you sure the Mater Dei course you mention has an oral in Irish? I had a look through the site and didn't see any mention of one in relation to this course.:confused:

You could contact the student liaison officer in the college to check.

Advertisement