Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly dodgy make up salesman going door to door... anyone else had this guy visit?

Options
  • 13-12-2012 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

Today I had a man claiming to be from "a well known store in town" come to the door asking me if I'd like to look at some make up and offering me a free gift & free samples if I did. He only had a small unbranded paper gift bag in his hand and no sign of a case or any larger bag. I immediately said no and he wasn't pushy but it struck me as very weird that any store in town would send a man door to door with makeup particularly as to look properly at and sample makeup you'd have to invite someone into the house. Also I'd expect he'd be carrying more than a very small paper bag

I was left feeling it was a bit dodgy. I wondered if anyone else had him around or if anyone knows if this was legit? If it wasn't legit I would feel very uncomfortable as to this persons aims.
    I'd be happy to hear it is a genuine (albeit misguided) promotion but if not I'd say people would want to take care and make sure no teenage girls in their homes would invite him in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Belle Morte

Sounds like a Victoria Jackson rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Sounds like a Victoria Jackson rep.

Do they use male make demo men usually ? Is that a store in town? It seemed odd in that he mentioned no brand and only had a paper gift bag that you'd put a cd in usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

makes a nice change though, offering free make up. usually its scrap metal they come knocking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Do they use male make demo men usually ? .

This time last year a bloke called to us from them. He was selling those mini ('transformer' as I call them) make up kits that fit 500 things into a small space.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Belle Morte

Yeah, I have head of men demonstrating the Victoria Jackson makeup range.

They normally give a big spiel how they're launching in Brown Thomas soon (which is patently untrue) but you can buy the stuff there and then on your doorstep.

It does seem strange however that he didn't mention the brand name or have any branded bags and merchandise etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

I had 2 girls come to my door last week selling make-up, i was like a crow looking into a crisp bag, hadnt a clue what they were on about.

Advertisement