Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Year Bike Resolutions....

• 13-12-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

As the heading says...what are you aiming for in 2013 bike wise...?

Any one planning on a short trip to mainland europe in the new year (like me) would love to get to the Italian or Spanish mountains. Maybe I need a bigger bike but I would say my FZ6 would get me there, she is a great little bike. Would also like to get a couple of novice trackdays under my belt see what its like to have no diesel spills and cages to worry about when out for a blast.

And to top it all off, try to get to the Isle Of Man TT :D

And ya never know, if the new laws lift the 2yr restriction in Jan for those of us that passed the test already I could be tempted to upgrade the crotch rocket!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I only have two - get the ZX9 rebuilt (I should be done by February hopefully) and get back on the road again, and get my dream bike (2004 ZX10) I'm aiming for that for July/August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

1. Do IBT Module 5 when I am eligable....
    2. Borrow a big bike and get my full licence
    3. Be unrestricted
    4. ????
    5. Profit

Actually pay off the loan on my bike before seeing if I can trade up.

Get out on the twisties more and gain some confidence in them.

Learn how to pop a wheelie :pac:

Overall improve my ability and confidence.

Once the bad weather has passed find an empty car part and practice my slow maneuvers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

My main resolution is to stop being fookin sh1t on the bike anymore... lol

I still cant lean it with any confidence without feeling like the back is gonna kick out which in turn makes me straighten the bike up and completely make a balls of any cornering...

So yeah its a simple as that. My resolution is to stop being sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

1)module 5
    2)test
    3)unrestricted
    4)look at getting a harely 48.... realize its a harley and buy a duke 690 instead
    5)smile a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

4)look at getting a harely 48.... realize its a harley and buy a duke 690 instead

LMFAO!!!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Feck all really except to stay safe and wish all my friends & brothers have a safe and fulfilling 2013 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Appreciate the honesty lads, Thanx fook I got my test outta the way the minute I was eligible so its one less thing to worry about.

@ goodlad you are not ****e on the bike m8. You changed a few bits and need to get used to them, dont be so hard on urself and get out more with us and you be rockin in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

And ya never know, if the new laws lift the 2yr restriction in Jan for those of us that passed the test already I could be tempted to upgrade the crotch rocket!

That would make my year....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Get the bike out more, say the same every year but still...

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I only have one and I've already started on it - go racing in 2013.

I've already got my membership & race number, now need to convert the blade to superstock spec, get my race licence etc in time for March 28th :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Would love to go to europe, but it's not going to happen for a few years.
    Wonda, an FZ6 would be well able for europe. Did you ever read the biker.ie thread about some lad whos taking a honda 50 from alaska right the way down to the tip of south america.
    Sure some guy on boards before was talking about a trip to eastern europe on a 50cc scooter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

goodlad wrote: »
    ..My resolution is to stop being sh1t.

Adding that to my list too... :D

Cienciano wrote: »
    Would love to go to europe, but it's not going to happen for a few years.
    Wonda, an FZ6 would be well able for europe. Did you ever read the biker.ie thread about some lad whos taking a honda 50 from alaska right the way down to the tip of south america.
    Sure some guy on boards before was talking about a trip to eastern europe on a 50cc scooter!

Ideally I would love to get a VFR1200 (new shape) I think it is a fabulous looking bike, Not sure If I would be ready for it all the same its a big step up. Shame the tank range is so small for a tourer (19L) its the same as my FZ6.

Will have a look at that thread on biker too. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Any one planning on a short trip to mainland europe in the new year (like me) would love to get to the Italian or Spanish mountains. Maybe I need a bigger bike but I would say my FZ6 would get me there, she is a great little bike.
    Wonda, an FZ6 would be well able for europe.
    Your FZ6 will be more than able for Europe. I did France, Spain, Africa and Portugal this year on my restricted FZS600 Foxeye. Kaimera did it on a 99 FSZ600 as well. It was 3000 miles and my good old Fazer never missed a beat! :D
    Faith+1 wrote: »
    That would make my year....
    That would be fantastic if it happened. I'd be getting a R1 or Fireblade a lot earlier than when my restriction is up next October. It'd be like Christmas again :D
    And to top it all off, try to get to the Isle Of Man TT :D
    Hope to see you there! ;):)

My list as it stands now
    1) Get out a lot at the weekends early next year
    2) Isle of Man TT
    3) Get another bike trip in somewhere. I'd use overlanders to deliver the bike somewhere this time. A few days on the twisties and a few days on the beach/drinking!
    4) Look into a R1 or Fireblade when my restriction is almost up. I'd hope the temptation isn't too great if I get one before I'm fully licenced! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

pass my unrestricted test in feb,
    do some more trials on the montesa,
    ride to mallory park in july for the festival of a 1000 bikes
    'bout it really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I picked up a Vespa PX200 about a year ago as a project bike; however, I have done little with it since. So I aim to get that process started at least this year. Apart from that it is just keeping the other bikes ticking over and in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Going back to the TT in '13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Odysseus wrote: »
    I picked up a Vespa PX200 about a year ago as a project bike; however, I have done little with it since. So I aim to get that process started at least this year. Apart from that it is just keeping the other bikes ticking over and in good nick.

That makes 2 of us so ! Already started on my PX125.....hope to have it ready for May. .....

..might revisit Manx GP this year.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

galwaytt wrote: »
    That makes 2 of us so ! Already started on my PX125.....hope to have it ready for May. .....

..might revisit Manx GP this year.......

Nice one, what have youbdone so far? It will take me a lot longer. Don't forget to post a few pics when your sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I will have my VT500 project finished within the next week or so. I'll use it for a short while and try to swap/ upgrade to a cheap sportsbike. I'm going to try a few track days and I'll go for my first Euro trip... to the Nurburgring for a lap.
    Once the bad weather has passed find an empty car part and practice my slow maneuvers.

I used to go to Eastgate in the evenings when I started. Lots of open space as well as other road conditions you can work on without the pressure of traffic. Defo make time for the slow stuff. When I was learning I considered there to be too halves to the equation; the slow stuff and everything else. We should nearly organise a Cork ride-out for the new year.

• Advertisement

The ride-out would be a good thing to do actually, and yeah, used Eastgate before, it's excellent, and extremely close to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

Would love to go to Europe take in the black forest, Austria -Dolmonites, Italy,france and home and take in most of the major passes along the way. 10 -12 days if possible.Not sure where to go for a guided tour or plan myself as it would be the first big trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

survive my first TT.

maybe step up to a sports bike from the fzs (or go FZ1)

couple of track days where it isnt pissing rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Might get to Bikeweek in Daytona yet. If not I'll change the bike at some stage.

My new years resolution is to wash my bike. Haven't done it in 6 months, looks like a couriers bike

My new years resolution is to wash my bike. Haven't done it in 6 months, looks like a couriers bike

Aim high m8 thats the way....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

1. Crack open an engine

Even if its just service the head with new stem seals and shims its about time I gave it a go.

2. Road observation(listen to inner voice more).

Probably because im a little rusty.
    Learn that if it feels wrong or you have any doubt/niggle about a car on the road stay away from them. Its not worth having to change your jocks, pick gravel out of your ass or worse.

Paranoia is good... Very useful on a bike

I'm adding gaining the confidence to filter onto my list. Was sat in traffic for 15 minutes earlier because I didn't have the balls to try given I would have crossed the broken center line.

I'm adding gaining the confidence to filter onto my list. Was sat in traffic for 15 minutes earlier because I didn't have the balls to try given I would have crossed the broken center line.
    Just keep an eye out if you're going past an entrance for a house or a laneway cos a a car might pull out or be waved out. If you're going past a van or truck take her handy in case a pedesterian is crossing.
    And if the road is narrow I usually pull in if cars are coming towards me. I've panniers on the bike, I don't like having to make cars swerve to get past me.
    Filtering is one of the best things about commuting on a bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Gonna be a quiet one for me as saving towards a house with herself. Might try to get to Scotland for a weekend away and do a couple of trackdays on the R1 here and there. As soon as the house stuff is sorted I'm gonna find me one of these ****ers and sell my 950SM to get it!
    990_SMR.jpg

Advertisement