Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Year Bike Resolutions....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I'm adding gaining the confidence to filter onto my list. Was sat in traffic for 15 minutes earlier because I didn't have the balls to try given I would have crossed the broken center line.

Be wary of pedestrians between vehicles, vehicles coming out of driveways, side streets/roads, vehicles doing u-turns with no warning, people opening doors without looking or throwing things out the window. Also, don't ever rely on oncoming traffic to move over to make room for you, most people do but you will be guaranteed to meet some arse who won't give you a bit of a gap despite having clearance on his side to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

1. Get more confident & comfortable on the bike.
    2. Use the bike as much as possible.
    3. Stop being scared to leave the bike places.
    4. Go on a long trip around Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

batman_oh wrote: »
    990_SMR.jpg

Dang, I really want one of them !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Pipz wrote: »
    1. Get more confident & comfortable on the bike.
    2. Use the bike as much as possible.
    3. Stop being scared to leave the bike places.
    4. Go on a long trip around Ireland.

In fairness, I've never seen anyone more at home and comfortable and confident on a bike!! So you only have to do nos. 2, 3 and 4. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

galwaytt wrote: »
    Dang, I really want one of them !

I love the things. Sure it might have a tiny 15 litre tank and be completely silly, but they are what bikes are all about - fun!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I'll take a 690 and be happy :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

As a few have already mentioned

1. Be more confident
    2. Find empty car park and practice slow maneuvers in preparation for test.
    3. Learn more about my bike and how to service/fix problems
    4. STOP buying bike related stuff online with credit card:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

O yeah, I would love to go and do an "off road" course. Just to get use to the bike moving around alot and be more comfortable out of my comfort zone....would deffo help you not panic if you own bike gave a wiggle on some back road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think it would be cool to do the Wicklow gap my Boards comrades. That would be something I'd make time for.

Reckon we can organise an outing at some stage in 2013?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

cantdecide wrote: »
    I think it would be cool to do the Wicklow gap my Boards comrades. That would be something I'd make time for.

Definitely! There's a petrol station in Kilmacanoge on the N11 that's a good meeting spot for the gap :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, wouldn't mind going on one. Sunday is taken for me, but I'm definitely going to make time for a boards spin. Might even wash the bike for it

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yeah, wouldn't mind going on one. Sunday is taken for me, but I'm definitely going to make time for a boards spin. Might even wash the bike for it

Ahhh here....LEAVE IT OUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!:D

A road I've done a bazillion times but always fun as it's a nice quick run with some madness thrown in. Plus theres some good breakfast to be had and random chats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

The Don wrote: »
    Definitely! There's a petrol station in Kilmacanoge on the N11 that's a good meeting spot for the gap :)
    cos I have good xp from kilmac ;)

batman_oh wrote: »
    A road I've done a bazillion times but always fun as it's a nice quick run with some madness thrown in. Plus theres some good breakfast to be had and random chats.

Yeah but I would say its a hundred times better on a sexy R1 ;)

you do have a sexy R1 or am I mistaken?

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yeah but I would say its a hundred times better on a sexy R1 ;)
    you do have a sexy R1 or am I mistaken?

This one is mine yeah - had to add all the stuff to distract attention away from the pink frame :pac:

2012-09-02047.jpg

Ahhh here leave it ouuuuuuu, you did not have to post a pic again just to make us all feel inferior ffs! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

I hope to apply for my full license and pass it 1st time all things going well :)

Then try get a bigger bike just in time for next summer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

nerrad1983 wrote: »
    I hope to apply for my full license and pass it 1st time all things going well :)

Then try get a bigger bike just in time for next summer :D

What bike are you interested in getting?

I bet he is after a CBR600RR the durty little fecker!

• Advertisement

I bet he is after a CBR600RR the durty little fecker!

Not to sure yet to be honest but it will be a 600 :D

Really liking the 06 onwards R6 :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I fancy a super sports of some kind. Have my eye on a sexy little red number :-)

nerrad1983 wrote: »
    Not to sure yet to be honest but it will be a 600 :D

Really liking the 06 onwards R6 :cool:

Ohhhh Nice....Id say you be well able for it also. ;)

Ohhhh Nice....Id say you be well able for it also. ;)

Yea hopefully all things go well and should have something new and shiny by the start of the summer

Whether it will be an R6 im not to sure yet but it will be a 600 super sports:cool:

Back out for the Sunday Spins then:D

They helped me so much this year by getting out and watching, practicing and gaining confidence and experience all mixed with having a laugh;)

They helped everyone, its great to see lads out the 1st day with us and then a few weeks later the difference in the riding. And as you say totally useless without the laughs. Big thanx has to go to lookbehindyou in fairness....one of the best in the business with bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Dont come off the bike :D One goal, if I can stay safe i'll be happy out

Doylers wrote: »
    Dont come off the bike :D One goal, if I can stay safe i'll be happy out

Yep, thats a given for every year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Just want to get out as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

In fairness, I've never seen anyone more at home and comfortable and confident on a bike!! So you only have to do nos. 2, 3 and 4. :D

You give me too much credit. haha. Was only my 3rd time on the bike, and felt like I was the worst one there on the day. Enjoyed that run all the same though. :)

I'm also going to try learn more about the bike. I can service it etc, but I'd like to get to know the finer points that people dont think about so often.

Also making it my mission to get to all the road races next year, as every time I tried to go to one this year something came up. Only managed to get to skerries.

• Advertisement

Thankfully, I managed to get to all the road races this year its not an easy ride to some of them I tell ya weather wise. I only got to the southern ones last year as I did not have my "pinkie" (had to wait the minimum 6mths) but I got it as soon as I was eligible.

But its great craic, and even better when the head honchos know you (or the lad you are with) and get the VIP treatment, best spots, doing the radios or flagging & free gear and laps of closed tracks.

Advertisement