Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP

Options
  • 14-12-2012 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hello Everyone :)
    I have a bit of a problem, i have juust moved back in with my mom after living in lanzarote the last three years, i am 25 26 in january and am claiming the dole! my mther has a ne BF and she just does not want me here! i have a deposit for an apt as my aunt says she will lend it to me but the prob is i will not afford the rent on the dole! will i be entitled to rent allowance? or any help at all after moving in somewhere? Thank you very much for any replys xxx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Normally you have to be renting privately for at least six months before you can claim Rent Allowance. Are you on the Local Authority housing list? You have to be assessed as being in need of housing before you can apply.

I would go and see your CWO, and explain your circumstances. They might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 laurlaur

thank you!! But i really need to get out of here and will be no matter what! so i will move some where with one months deposit and rent paid by me, they surely have to help me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

rather than rent an apartment on your own which is dear, why not go for a room in a house, so that the bills will also be shared, like heating, and leccy, at least if you can start there, you will have some bit of comfort, and by not signing a lease also, dont trap yourself, if you do a house share, it will be easire to get the leg on the ladder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

More importantly a lot of landlords won't take someone on rent allowance. So you might have to consider that before picking a place to put a deposit down

but if i do just go put a deposit down, and obviously will not be able to afford rent, will i be able to claim a rent allowance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

laurlaur wrote: »
    but if i do just go put a deposit down, and obviously will not be able to afford rent, will i be able to claim a rent allowance?

no you wont as was said earlier you must be renting for six months before you can claim rent allowance

What, so they would just leave me on the streets then???
    How do foreign nationals come in and get handed everything???
    Tomorrow i shall be homeless but will have a deposit and month up front rent to pay and am willing to pay as much rent as i can afford to out of my swb!!!
    This surely can not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you're living on the streets then they will give you emergency help but not while you are living at home or are renting a place. If you sign a lease knowing that you cannot pay the rent then it will be largely your own problem; its not as if your situation will have changed from the time you signed the lease.

As others have said maybe consider renting a room somewhere which should make your deposit and money you have saved go further while you look for a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

They don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I'm sorry, but your only options seem to be to find a place you can afford on your SW payment, making sure it is under the threshold, stay where you are and save, or move in with other family.

Everyone, including foreign nationals are subject to the 6 month restriction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

See below. This is good advice, which is also what goat2 told you.
    djimi wrote: »
    If you're living on the streets then they will give you emergency help.

As others have said maybe consider renting a room somewhere which should make your deposit and money you have saved go further while you look for a job?

I am a foreign national. (English to be exact) I find that insulting. I've worked and paid taxes both here as well as in the UK. I certainly wasn't handed everything! Did you know that if you claim here you have to provide proof to Welfare that you've been paying stamp in the EU? In other words, a P60.
    I would go and see your CWO, and explain your circumstances. They might be able to help.

I would get up now, and go and see the CWO. They might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Tomorrow i shall be homeless but will have a deposit and month up front rent to pay and am willing to pay as much rent as i can afford to out of my swb!!!
    This surely can not be.

Why are you coming back into Ireland and expecting everything handed on a plate to you?

You can't afford to live on your own so look for a room to rent and a job and hopefully you can get started from there, and in time have enough of an income to have a place of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How were you supporting yourself in Lanzerote?

I understand why you don't want to go to your CWO ... without habitual residency, are you even eligible for the dole? (Maybe you are, 'cos Spain is in the EU .. be thankful you didn't just come back from Australia!)

Anyways ... you are currently free to move anywhere in the country ... no, Europe to find a job. Get busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Hang on a minute, you posted a different story in the State Benefits forum

"I am a 25 year old irish girl and have just returned from lanzarote as i have lived there the last year. i am recieving social welfare allowance of 188 a week and am staying on a friends couch as i had a fallen out with my mother! am i entitled to rent allowance and how do i go about it??"

Which is it? At home or at a friends house?

Either way you've some cheek expecting everything to be handed to you on a plate just because you don't want to live at home any more. You've posted elsewhere that you got a job interview with Ryanair but don't want to work there as it doesn't sound nice. So what, take the damn job, use it to extract every thing you can that helps you - pay, travel, future education, use the money to get the flat you want (you seem to not want to talk about house sharing) and then move on to a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Info here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

You have to be renting six months, and you have to show you have intent in staying in the area. You may be questioned on whether or not you plan on moving back to Lanzarote. Also, even with Rent Supplement, you still have to cover €30 towards the rent. Also, once you start working over 30 hours a week and/or enter full time education, you lose your entitlement to Rent Supplement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As you've already started a thread in State Benefits- I am closing this one. Please read the charters relating to both fora, if you intend to post in them.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement