Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's top ten google searches of 2012

Options
  • 14-12-2012 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

According to the Galway Advertiser Galways top ten google searches of 2012 were :

1 Enda Kenny
    2 Liam Neeson
    3 Hurricane Sandy
    4 Rosanna Davison
    5 Coldplay
    6 Michael Fassbender
    7 Muse
    8 Jill Meagher
    9 Whitney Houston
    10 Berlin
    http://www.google.com/zeitgeist/2012/#the-world

What happened in Berlin that was so interesting to you Coldplay fans this year?

Over all they seem pretty dull results. I would've expected Galway internet types to throw at least one offbeat thing into the mix. Are we slipping? :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The mobile midband searches all show up as Dublin searches nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Nothing dull about Berlin and there's a constant stream of people to-ing and fro-ing here to there all year round. Or maybe it just seems that way cos they are sure to let you know about it, guilty of this myself.

Whitney Houston died, hurricane sandy happened and i suppose there's no getting away from the fact that Enda Kenny is taoiseach.

As for everything else on that list, WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

What, no Argos opening hours?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

They left a very important word out of the Michael Fassbender search term.

And another one from the Rosanna Davidson entry.

I'm most surprised that Take Away Food has failed to chart.

Or roundabouts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This shows clearly that Galway people don't confine themselves to one search engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

no boards.ie?
    no volvo (ocean race)?
    and even no all ireland/galway hurling?

as someone else stated out, ya no 'argos opening times' cause people canted be arsed to google that, they come on here and start a new thread.
    same thing goes with, what the phone number to ...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm a bit sceptical about how good these sorts of stats are.

According to Google Analytics, GalwayTransport.info has had 70,000 visits in 2012. Of those, 60,000 were from Ireland: 29,000 from Dublin and 28,000 from Galway. Now I know Galway's a fantastic place, but I just don't believe that many Dubs are looking for stuff here. And it's an undercount, because others are from towns like "Tallaght" and "Dundrum".

FWIW, my most common search term among visitors from Ireland is "not provided" (12,700 visits) which is a long way ahead of the next contenders, "Galway bus timetable" (1090) and "galway city bus" (1073).

Extrapolating from that ... I reckon we have no idea what the most common search terms used by people from Galway really were.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Now I know Galway's a fantastic place, but I just don't believe that many Dubs are looking for stuff here.

MrsO you're forgetting that there's a large population of Galway natives living/working in Dublin - 13,187 as of the last census (42,726 in the rest of the country).

Advertisement