Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first mobile for 11 year old boy

• 13-12-2012 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Folks, Thinking of getting a mobile phone for my 11 year old boy. Prob vodafone account ready to go.

It would be mainly for texting and us being able to ring him if he's up in his freinds house. Can't imagine that he would need internet access

would be grateful for any suggestions on what type we should get

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ours gets a temp loaner phone when needed. A very basic Samsung Cobble (E1150i)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

moved to its own thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

If he's not looking for one I would'nt yet get him one. As said above give him the loan of one if he's heading out and you need to get in touch with him, or ring whoever is supervising him when he's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

you can get a nokia N 100 for about 35 euro or a Nokia 113 for around the same price. They are simple call and text phones with no real access to the internet. Also if they get lost, or destroyed, which can happen with 11 year olds, then it is not a large hit to the pocket!

I dont like it when people buy young children smart phones...even if you disable it kids are smart enough to figure out how to get around parental locks! Also I find that when parents buy younger children/early teens smart phones they tend to get destroyed, lost, stolen, locked a lot. Leave the touch screens for a treat when they are older!

(i work with mobile phones so i see a lot of parents with the same query as yourself! :D)

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

BostonB wrote: »
    Ours gets a temp loaner phone when needed. A very basic Samsung Cobble (E1150i)

this would also be a very good basic phone...around the 20 euro mark there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Good think about it is amazing battery life so when you pull it out of a drawer and its not been used for ages it has loads of battery left. No games either so they don't use it for that. Throw it in a bag for scouts trip or similar. The other phones mentioned are good alternatives too. Unfortunately very few of the cheaper phones are micro USB charger's.

• Site Banned Posts: 14 myparenting101

A simple phone will do as she still young to have high end phone.. text or call is essential especially during emergency.

• Site Banned Posts: 14 myparenting101

Basic mobile phone with call & text will good for her. Call & text is necessary especially during emergency situations.

Advertisement