Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

about PhD viva

Options
  • 14-12-2012 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys, I'm going to have my PhD viva next week. I'm not confident enough about my knowledge and thesis. I'm always feeling there are countless weak points can be attacked. Even more, i'm not a native English speaker, so I'm afraid that I can not properly and precisely express my thoughts. The only good thing is that I have 2 publications (not the top journals but quite decent). So I want to ask have you guys heard of a PhD candidate have publications but failed at the final viva stage? Because in my home country, if have publications, even deaf-mute can still get the PhD . Thanks for your time and any replies will be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Roccat wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm going to have my PhD viva next week. I'm not confident enough about my knowledge and thesis. I'm always feeling there are countless weak points can be attacked. Even more, i'm not a native English speaker, so I'm afraid that I can not properly and precisely express my thoughts. The only good thing is that I have 2 publications (not the top journals but quite decent). So I want to ask have you guys heard of a PhD candidate have publications but failed at the final viva stage? Because in my home country, if have publications, even deaf-mute can still get the PhD . Thanks for your time and any replies will be really appreciated.

Not too sure about the deaf- mute reference - you might wish to remove that tbh.

As long as you can defend your methodology and findings you shouldn't have a problem.

Have you had someone else objectively go over your PhD?

If not do so now

Make sure you know the theory behind your approach to your PhD

Vivas are fairly rigorous here. Have your supervisor advise you and even perhaps do a mock viva with them if they are sympathetic
    Ask them for their opinion.

Your publication will not harm your standing but its your PhD and you that will be examined on the day

You may be failed at this stage - but a more usual route is for the examiners to ask you to rewrite / resubmit parts or sections of your PhD

Don't worry this is not unusual.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Hi guys, I'm going to have my PhD viva next week. I'm not confident enough about my knowledge and thesis. I'm always feeling there are countless weak points can be attacked.
    Sounds like a classic case of imposter syndrome. Don't worry, it's not uncommon - a lot of scientists are very self-critical.
    Even more, i'm not a native English speaker, so I'm afraid that I can not properly and precisely express my thoughts.
    There are a lot of non-native English speakers in my institute and, honestly, yes, it can sometimes take them a little longer to get their point across, but they get there. People are only too aware that it's difficult enough to communicate science in your native language, so they will be patient with those communicating in a non-native language - don't worry about it.
    So I want to ask have you guys heard of a PhD candidate have publications but failed at the final viva stage?
    I have only ever heard of one viva resulting in "failure", but even in that case, it just resulted in extensive re-writing of the thesis.

At the end of the day, if your supervisor is doing their job properly, all should be well. Most institutes have enough checks and balances in place to ensure that vivas don't end in disaster. If your viva is next week, I'm assuming at least 3-4 people have read your thesis by now. If none of them have waved a red flag, then what are you so worried about? You just make sure you know your thesis inside out and you're familiar with the "story" behind your work.

Besides, the fact that you have two publications under your belt should definitely give you confidence in your work - your peers have endorsed what you're doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

So I want to ask have you guys heard of a PhD candidate have publications but failed at the final viva stage?
    You sure can, publications strenghtne your position, but if your position is weak...
    It really depends on the quality of the publications and peer review board etc.

If you only have a week, you should wing it and hope for the best... do a trial run. Shame you couldnt forsee this? let us know how it goes.

Advertisement