Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Centre: what do you miss?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

There were petrol pumps on Shannon St opposite the Stella and on Upr William St, near Future Sound and Vision and a petrol station on the corner near Sarsfield House, on the Dunnes Site.

Video clubs around the city - there was a time you had to pay to be a member :eek:

Genelles shops on William St and O'Connell St.

The Galleon restaurant on O'Connell St

The Lyric cinema and Thomond Cinema and there was a cinema complex up where Tesco are now in Roxboro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Tony wards sports store

Neil cusacks sports store.

All the people fishing from the bridges late at night, not sure if anybody fishes there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hermione* wrote: »
    Was that on William St?! I was thinking of it the other day for some reason and couldn't quite place it.

Irwin's is one I really miss. All my jewellery presents as a child came from there.

I miss the old Todd's. The new BT doesn't do it for me.

Loads of great memories here! :)

It's where Boots are now.

tumblr_m04hbjXpaM1qa7qnao1_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The grocery section in the back of Roches Stores.

Big mahoosive brown bags. Massive brown bags and they would keep them in the shed thing out the back in the "car park" that held about 10 cars and you could collect them later and a guy in a long brown coat would be there to help you. Old School :cool:

I think they used to cordon off a few spaces for Christmas tree sales at Christmas as well.

Memories of the Car Park where Arthurs Quay Park is now but it was smaller because they actually backfilled soil/aggregate/concrete into the river to make the area bigger. I suppose also reminds me of the car park where the Revenue is now on the Quays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

It is quite easy to figure out everyone's age range from this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's where Boots are now.
    Thank! I seem to remember that they had some sort of meal deal for £3 or £4, as that's what we always got!
    Beer Baron wrote: »
    Big mahoosive brown bags. Massive brown bags and they would keep them in the shed thing out the back in the "car park" that held about 10 cars and you could collect them later and a guy in a long brown coat would be there to help you. Old School :cool:
    OMG, yes, this! So many of my childhood Saturdays involved this! The back of Debenhams ground floor kinda freaks me out a little tbh. It always feels like it should be a grocery store.
    I've just remembered buying my veil for my Holy Communion in Roches Stores :o

I remember all the fuss when Cruises Street opened. It seemed like the most exciting thing ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the Savoy on a Saturday, playing Street fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat in the arcade then paying to see one movie and trying to sneak into another one :pac: felt like a proper old cinema (cos it was) instead of the souless multiplexes we have now.

If I ever won the euromillions I'd build an art-deco style old cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Pamdemonium on shannon street for taxis after nightclubs on a saturday night, and can anyone remember Francis stading outside the 313131 base keeping a lisphy order on the queue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

And one I actually miss is the Todds/Brown thomas window at christmas, used to be a winter wonderland of fun/music but sadly now is fashion based, and the market as it was years ago, trailing from high street right around the milk market to Denmark st with all the members of a certain ethnic minority trading, worked down there for my teenage years in a chip shop and the community feeling was amazing.

These days it is more confined, refined and boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Pamdemonium on shannon street for taxis after nightclubs on a saturday night, and can anyone remember Francis stading outside the 313131 base keeping a lisphy order on the queue

Definitely one of the best things after being in a club - the hilarity of the whole situation was brilliant. The crowds would nearly be out covering the whole road only for Francis to drive us all back in and out umpteen times while waiting!

TAXI for Knocknagoshel! :D

• Advertisement

Francis eh'

Walk around the corner and see the ONE MILLION people and walk straight up to him and say "I'm here at least 20 minutes waiting on XX to be called". "Right, you're going next". SUCKER!

Missus tells me about a chipper in Spaights Called "Stick Fingers". She remembers grabbing sausage and chips and getting on the bus home only to drop them before getting on and the woman ran out with the scoop full of chips and topped her back up. Wouldn't happen now. :rolleyes:

Not just because the place doesn't exist of course. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

some already mentioned, therapy in the TR, the proper termights. the car park at spaights. burgerking

kranks when they used to do the special cups at xmas

when did o'connell st change to one way, i seem to remember it being two way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

mossym wrote: »

Really showing your age -wasnt it called George's street back in your day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭redrums

The high stool , great spot ,
    Really miss sibin and 80s nite some craic
    Lapellos :))

the lobster pot lovely prawn cheese chips

Hmm great nites out

Mc Love wrote: »
    Really showing your age -wasnt it called George's street back in your day?

it's not that far back i'm pretty sure:) that's why i asked, see if it's a real memory. i'm pretty sure it is.

i'm only mid thirties...not that old...

tropics in the george. having to be in there drinking before 8pm cause that's when the bouncers started, and if you were in the door before they got there you were okay to get up to the nightlcub

docs bar with the girls dancing on the tables pouring tequila down your throat

upstairs in bewleys on a friday evening after school, when every table was filled with groups in school uniforms. one person down at a time for a cup of tea and easily stretch out 2 hours in bewleys trying to chat up laurel hill girls

Hah bewleys at 4am eating breakfast. It didnt last long open at night mind you. For those of you who don't know it was where new look is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

one person down at a time for a cup of team and easily stretch out 2 hours in bewleys trying to chat up laurel hill girls

My gang did that in Route 66, it's no wonder why it closed. They had the black lights going down to the loo.

some already mentioned, therapy in the TR, the proper termights. the car park at spaights. burgerking

kranks when they used to do the special cups at xmas

I remember when you turn left from Sarsfield St towards Patrick St at Roches Stores.

Also, they tried 3 lane traffic on Sarsfield bridge, two inbound in the morning and two outbound in the evening.

Nightmare traffic.

• Advertisement

The Autodine out near Coonagh Cross, possibly the only chinese restaurant in Limerick at the time.

phog wrote: »
    I remember when you turn left from Sarsfield St towards Patrick St at Roches Stores.

Also, they tried 3 lane traffic on Sarsfield bridge, two inbound in the morning and two outbound in the evening.

Nightmare traffic.

maybe that is what i am remembering, that does sound very familiar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

phog wrote: »
    The Autodine out near Coonagh Cross, possibly the only chinese restaurant in Limerick at the time.

Hong Kong beat them too it

So much to miss bout the old days Danes bakery doughtnuts 8 for a pound

Being dry waiting for a bus outside spaights

Naughtons chipper aka Greasy Joes on edward st better than Donkeys

Old Fine wines on Roches St just dont like the new place

Nevada Smiths when it opened first class spot free aftershock sundays ah the memories or lack there of

Balcony in the Carlton

Carpet in costelloes nope thats still there :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Naughton's Chipper in Parnell Street, used to get a great Saturday treat.

The Hogan Stand, green beer on Paddy's Day. (Too young to drink it though)

Copolla's (not sure about spelling) chipper next door.

Cake and Coffee Shop where TSB Bank on Sarsfield St, anyone know the name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Naughton's Chipper in Parnell Street, used to get a great Saturday treat.

The Hogan Stand, green beer on Paddy's Day. (Too young to drink it though)

Copolla's (not sure about spelling) chipper next door.

Cake and Coffee Shop where TSB Bank on Sarsfield St, anyone know the name?

Imperial Bakery they used to bake all their stuff up on a bakery off nicolas street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

I seem to remember they had a coffee/tea shop upstairs, it was always a stop off when shopping with the Mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Marys of Limerick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

bazkennedy wrote: »
    Javas!

Captain Jack's was where it was at, Javas was but a pale imitation of a coffee house/cool place to hang out for a secondary school student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Kiddies Korners in Harrys Cafe in the old Dunnes after doing the shopping. It was a big treat, and the best sausage, bean and chip I've ever had :)

The Green Onion restaurant on Rutland St. Really miss this place :( Many great meals were had there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Anyone here go to CBS Sexton Street in the 70's ?
    We used to go out the back entrance of the school onto Parnell st - across to Naughtons or the Parnell grill for chips .... and then eat em up in the Peoples Park.

Advertisement