Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Centre: what do you miss?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    Kiddies Korners in Harrys Cafe in the old Dunnes after doing the shopping. It was a big treat, and the best sausage, bean and chip I've ever had :)

The coleslaw chips were legendary in Harry's - at least in my family. My mum used to buy extra coleslaw in a tub to take home!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

sioda wrote: »
    Naughtons chipper aka Greasy Joes on edward st better than Donkeys

Remember being in there one night when someone came in, asked for "a fish and chip....and would you wrap the grease separately Joe" :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    Kiddies Korners in Harrys Cafe in the old Dunnes after doing the shopping. It was a big treat, and the best sausage, bean and chip I've ever had :)

now there is a memory...

wasn't there rooftop parking on that dunnes at one stage as well? or was that roches? i know roches had the office at the back gate where you could have your shopping kept and collect it later, in the big brown paper bags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Newsoms had the parking at the back too where they had their garden centre. I loved Newsoms.

mossym wrote: »
    now there is a memory...

wasn't there rooftop parking on that dunnes at one stage as well? or was that roches? i know roches had the office at the back gate where you could have your shopping kept and collect it later, in the big brown paper bags

No Spaights was the one with the rooftop parking, on Henry street, but close enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mullanys on bedford row.Scratch that - traffic on Bedford row

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Aglomerado wrote: »
    No Spaights was the one with the rooftop parking, on Henry street, but close enough!

no i remember spaights alright, and the little shack at the gate.

for some reason i though there was one on dunnes as well for a while

there was the one across the road where the park is now, remember beat on the street being on in there one year, with the 2fm roadcaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The Vic in Hartstonge Street back in the early 90's. They had the SNES, Megadrive and Neo Geo machines upstairs. I think it was £1 an hour for the SNES and MD and it was £2 for the Neo Geo as far as I know although I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was only thinking of that game club the other day. Couldn't remember how it worked when you couldn't save your game. It was handy though because consoles were so expensive back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

The Vic in Hartstonge Street back in the early 90's. They had the SNES, Megadrive and Neo Geo machines upstairs. I think it was £1 an hour for the SNES and MD and it was £2 for the Neo Geo as far as I know although I could be wrong.

Don't forget Quazar/Quasar...paint ball with lasers. Had a few birthdays in there over the years. :cool:

• Advertisement

The O'Connell Mall when malls were popular. I remember Leonidas in there. Way better than Thorntons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

Mike and Katies after a night in the Windmill or Souths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cossax wrote: »
    Don't forget Quazar/Quasar...paint ball with lasers. Had a few birthdays in there over the years. :cool:

Quazer was the best! Only was in there once, but was so cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Beer Baron wrote: »
    The O'Connell Mall when malls were popular. I remember Leonidas in there. Way better than Thorntons!

Was that the one with the maddens milk token collection place upstairs, or or was that in Williamscourt?

I remember counting and recounting those tokens to get a deck of cards or soccer ball (kids don't know they're born these days :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I miss Bewley's and having a choice of clothes shops.

Does anyone else remember when the old Dunnes stores at Jetland had a restaraunt upstairs?

I remember one year when we were kids, our parents had parked in the car park above Spaights, the Toy show was on that night and the car broke down. We were devestated.

Was that the one with the maddens milk token collection place upstairs, or or was that in Williamscourt?

Upstairs in William Street Mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johncarter

remember:
    The 5 star that was later quinnsworth in lower william street.
    duggans glass , opposite nancy blakes
    the cobble stones on lower mallow street.
    when o'connell street was two way.
    the railway bridge on careys road.
    double decker busses.
    when the fire station was in thomas street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Double decker busses. Them were the days!

Not that it's gone long, but...The Davin and go Karting where the Ennis Road Retail Park is now.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Upstairs in William Street Mall.

There was a lifetime's supply of tea towels from there in our house... I think Maddens moved from there to O'Callaghan Strand in the early 90s.

There used to be a home brew shop upstairs in Williamscourt as well if I remember correctly.

Also johncarter's comment about the cobbles on lower Mallow Street jogged my memory about some of those Georgian buildings with basements: there used to be grilles on the streets over the basement yards; Thomas Street and Roches street had them. Seemingly they were filled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

House of Pain played in Theatre Royal in 1995 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

L.T.P. wrote: »
    House of Pain played in Theatre Royal in 1995 :D

I'll go one better. Def Leppard playing in Limerick in the Savoy in 1986 as a warm up gig for the Hysteria tour:).

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Burgerland.

Tony's in O'Connell Mall

Woolworth's

Kiddies corner from Harry's beside the escalator downstairs in Dunnes Stores on Sarsfield Street.

Beat on the street in Arthurs Quay.

Downstairs in Neville's. They used to have guns on display.

Doner Kebab from Friar Tucks (best i've ever had) Sit back eating it on the steps of the church and watch the fights as they broke out.

Wiseguys, Sharkeys, Brennans (2 pool tables upstairs), Cheers, Tropics, 80's night, supper ticket at the nightclub :)

Kranks Club Burger or Snackbox Mmm

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I'll go one better. Def Leppard playing in Limerick in the Savoy in 1986 as a warm up gig for the Hysteria tour:).

No way!

I know Thin Lizzy and U2 played in Limerick in their early years, never knew about Def Leppard, bet it was a great gig!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Def Leppard played the Atlantic Hotel in Ballybunion in the 80's also ( was there on holidays - so either 86 or 87 ) .... was also a warm up for hysteria ?

I'm pretty sure they mention it on the sleeve of Hysteria album - but I don't have a copy of the album to confirm .....

Anyone able to check the sleeve ?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ecarg

Javas, newsoms, cassidy's, Ladakh (silver shop on rutland st), Fat Zoes, roches stores toy store, upstairs toy dept in todds, Next, Heirlooms on cruises st, Bewley's, O'sullivan's shoes...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ecarg wrote: »
    Ladakh (silver shop on rutland st)

Aw, I remember that place. Got a few lovely gifts for people in there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Bewleys - Great breakfasts & hot chocolates
    Mayflower Chinese, Thomas Street - Yummiest curry chip in town
    Kranks Korner - Club Burger & Garlic and Cheese Fries, had them brought to me every day while in the maternity on my first child
    Stricly Rhythem
    Termights
    Quins
    Paccinos - 4am breakfasts
    Route 66
    Javas
    Willie 3 toes
    Jim Kemmy on the Corbally bus most days
    80s night in the George
    Tropics
    Sunday afternoon in the Ark Tavern
    Tangos & Cheers on a weeknight
    Newtown Pery
    The Works
    Super cans for 65p
    Docs back to school party every September
    Modesty
    Lobster Pot - Garlic & Cheese chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Def Leppard played the Atlantic Hotel in Ballybunion in the 80's also ( was there on holidays - so either 86 or 87 ) .... was also a warm up for hysteria ?

I'm pretty sure they mention it on the sleeve of Hysteria album - but I don't have a copy of the album to confirm .....

Anyone able to check the sleeve ?

Was in 1986. They played warm up gigs in Cork , Limerick, Salthill, Ballybunion, Waterford, and Dublin.

Given how big a band they were at the time (Pyromania had sold something like 12 million albums by the time they got to Limerick), they really were a massive act to play in such a tiny venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Is anyone old enough (apart from myself) to remember Joe Malone's?
    I think it was up around where Quinn's was - around Ellen Street?

It was one of the coolest and eccentric pubs in Limerick in the 1970's.
    Patronised by the best musicians (and posers) of that day. A great establishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Some great memories on this. Cruises hotel is another one that I would miss.

Advertisement