Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Centre: what do you miss?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not exactly city center but it was in the city limits: The Hard Rock cafe across from Punches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mc Love wrote: »
    Not exactly city center but it was in the city limits: The Hard Rock cafe across from Punches

Was a pretty cool little Esso station on that site once upon a time as well, before Chawkes' Esso moved into the old Dan Ryans site next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I went to a birthday party there when was 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Not trying to be a pedantic ass but was it not called Hot Rock Cafe?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

The HI Hamburger Inn in the Crescent. They did a bacon double cheese burger that was absolutely scrumptious!

Sorry! Just realised this was a city centre thread! I also miss Burgerland. Their club burger was the biz :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Was there an arcade right next to The O'Connell Grill back in the early to mid 90s, I think it was called The Buzz or something equally scummy.
    It was fairly rough too, I got a headbutt off a girl in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The Buzz, yeah it was a right sh*thole. :D Full of heads. Wrecked the place. :rolleyes: Then it became Eircell with crazy looking crap phones(by our standards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I forgot to mention, I don't miss the place.:D

Was there another arcade/snooker/pool place on Upper Hartstonge St. aswell? I vaguely remember being in it a couple of times and both times having to ring a bell to get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was there another arcade/snooker/pool place on Upper Hartstonge St. aswell? I vaguely remember being in it a couple of times and both times having to ring a bell to get in.

That was the Vic (Victoria Club) your probably thinking of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Newsom's. Quin's. Racing at Green Park (OK, not really city centre, but I always thought it was cool it was just a short hop from the city centre). Tea at Cruise's Hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

How about King Canutes - it was on Thomas Street first - moved to the Williamscourt Mall - then burnt down.
    We cycled into town - and watched the exploding inventory on the shelves. twas great.
    Every generation should have a city center department store fire - my dad saw Todds go up in flames in the 50's.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What was the name of the garage where you could leave your bike in for 20p. You could also park cars in there. It used to be REALLY dirty dusty, filthy, but two auld lads in brown coats looked after it. I think it might have been where Clohessys is now, or the new Dunnes?

Used to cycle into town when I was 16 on a Saturday, park up the bike, go for 1 pint of Murphys in "PJs Place", I think it was called, where the religious book shop is now. Maybe toddle up to modesty to look at the leather jackets, or down to the army store for a pair of combats. Pity you can't get the same combats you used to be able to get there before....

Or parking in Spaights... or "spades" as I called it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The bedford garage, it was the next block up.

I remember going to the circus with a friend and his family and parking there. His ma had him dressed up to the 9's and of course he slipped on oil and ruined his white chino's, we'd to go back home and change and thus miss the circus.

I miss the todd's cristmas windows, going into the roches toystore and planning out what i wanted for christmas, santa in speights or todds, queueing around the corner by the henry cecil for the carlton with fruit gums from mullanys and a supercan of cherry coke with perry supercrisps from dunnes all hidden in my jacket.

Oh and i dreamed of 1 day of paying the 2.75 to sit on the big fancy sits at the back of the central, i really miss the balcony in the carlton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

That garage was on the block of clohessys albeit it it was on the Henry street side of it. I remember bringing the boat up to the steps and dragging up the Jerry can for a bit of fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

That's the Vic. They used to have an arcade and laser tag there too in the 90's. That was a bit mental.

I miss Kranks Korner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I don't remember the arcade in the Vic, but I do remember the Quasar thing in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

gotasmoke wrote: »

I miss Kranks Korner!

I don't got food poisoning from there it's something I'll never forget :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

John The Man on Radio Luimní in the mornings telling us kids to "éirígí as bhuar leabas!" and doing the roll call on air :)

Margaret, Walter, Foxy, The Galloping Maggot and "all you meeces!" :D

And his ads for "Noel O' Connor - Happy Butcher!" and "Walters, Walters, coal and gas at Walters!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

boomerang wrote: »
    John The Man on Radio Luimní in the mornings telling us kids to "éirígí as bhuar leabas!" and doing the roll call on air :)

Margaret, Walter, Foxy, The Galloping Maggot and "all you meeces!" :D

And his ads for "Noel O' Connor - Happy Butcher!" and "Walters, Walters, coal and gas at Walters!"

Ah what a legend! Dressing Gown Brigade (DGB) and playing Crystal Gayle at 9am every morning. He was fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I used love his weather report, you'd hear him opening the window to check it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

This :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Scar001

Showing my age here but I remember "The Whimpy" in a basement in O'Connell Street. Think it was below where Bank of Ireland is now. Was the Eddie Rockets of the 70s.

The Pink Elephant in the Savoy.
    Pizza Cabin on Patrick Street.
    Cafe in Cannocks

At Christmas, Tots to Teens used have a train set in the window with a switch mounted thru the window allwoing kids to drive the train.

Not in the centre but rememer sitting at the railings of St Munchins College eating ice cream and wafers from Lahiffs shop. Used be run by three elderly sisters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Pat Graces fried chicken on Rutland street

Advertisement