Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    My nexus 4 skin arrived today (there's a sentence you wouldn't want to say too loudly in the office!)

Gives my n4 a new lease of life if nothing else.

nexus_4_back_carbon_red.jpg

Enjoy it, loving mine so far :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ooter

My nexus has been acting strange lately,the screen is going very dull at times,almost looks like it's changing to black and white,chrome browser is closing down a lot and apps are disappearing from the home screen.also,sometimes when I'm going from one web page to another a load of little black and white lines and dots appear suddenly at the bottom of the screen and then the new page comes up.:confused:
    anyone know what the problem might be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

ooter wrote: »
    My nexus has been acting strange lately,the screen is going very dull at times,almost looks like it's changing to black and white,chrome browser is closing down a lot and apps are disappearing from the home screen.also,sometimes when I'm going from one web page to another a load of little black and white lines and dots appear suddenly at the bottom of the screen and then the new page comes up.:confused:
    anyone know what the problem might be?
    Stock or custom ROM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ooter

advertsfox wrote: »
    Stock or custom ROM?

Stock,haven't done anything with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Right, I'm close to throwing my beloved Nexus 4 out the window so any help would be appreciated here.

I was previously on 4.4 when my phone started bootlooping when I started it up the other day. I used the Nexus Root Toolkit to go back to 4.2. That worked fine. However, after I updated to 4.3 (via the standard OTA option) the phone starts boot looping again.

Weirdly, the same thing happens when I try CyanogenMod. Version 10.0 works fine. But 11.0 boot loops.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Mezcita wrote: »
    Right, I'm close to throwing my beloved Nexus 4 out the window so any help would be appreciated here.

I was previously on 4.4 when my phone started bootlooping when I started it up the other day. I used the Nexus Root Toolkit to go back to 4.2. That worked fine. However, after I updated to 4.3 (via the standard OTA option) the phone starts boot looping again.

Weirdly, the same thing happens when I try CyanogenMod. Version 10.0 works fine. But 11.0 boot loops.

Any ideas?

Probably something to do with the fact you downgraded alright, what did you not like about 4.4?

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Probably something to do with the fact you downgraded alright, what did you not like about 4.4?

Sorry, should have mentioned that. After it started boot looping I couldn't get either 4.3 or 4.4 versions to work without them also borking the phone. The only one which would worked ok was 4.2.

Sorry, should have mentioned that. After it started boot looping I couldn't get either 4.3 or 4.4 versions to work without them also borking the phone. The only one which would worked ok was 4.2.
    Are you using the correct version of Gapps? That's vital as each version of CM has a different collection.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Are you using the correct version of Gapps? That's vital as each version of CM has a different collection.

Ah. From memory I downloaded the Gapps for CM10 when I was trying CM11 as I couldn't see any CM11 version on the site I was on. Should I therefore try the CM11 version mentioned here?

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps#Downloads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Anyone got 4g up and running on their Nexus 4 and on the Three network?

I haven't been able to get it working myself but here is the guide anyway...
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2211618

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Raoul wrote: »
    Anyone got 4g up and running on their Nexus 4 and on the Three network?

I haven't been able to get it working myself but here is the guide anyway...
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2211618

I don't think you will manage to get it working either. LTE on the Nexus 4 will not work in Ireland on any network.
    It doesn't support the LTE bands licensed in Ireland.

There is a longer answer but that's the summary

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I don't think you will manage to get it working either. LTE on the Nexus 4 will not work in Ireland on any network.

Cheers.

Can I get the long answer as well please?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

that summary is pretty much it! hardware isn't present to get European LTE.

Slevster wrote: »
    that summary is pretty much it! hardware isn't present to get European LTE.

Yeah just had a quick look. That isn't really a summary. That's all there is to it. Think in Ireland the LTE will operate at 1.8mhz and the nexus doesn't operate at that.

Well it's a summary because I didn't mention anything technical.

I can't remember which bands the Nexus 4 supports and the one's that are licensable in Ireland but basically there is no overlap at all.
    And another poster pointed out, even if we could get LTE here, there isn't actually an LTE antenna in the Nexus 4, it just contains the radio software to support it so if we could get LTE the reception would be terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

I posted some technical details earlier in this thread.

Ah. From memory I downloaded the Gapps for CM10 when I was trying CM11 as I couldn't see any CM11 version on the site I was on. Should I therefore try the CM11 version mentioned here?

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps#Downloads
    Exactly, there's only 1 option to download for CM11 now. Wipe cache, flash Gapps and reboot.

Hey, by any chance has anyone tried this case out?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-COVER-Google-Nexus-kwmobile/dp/B00FEIY4YQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390849691&sr=8-3&keywords=Nexus+4+Case

Looks the business but the reviews aren't great, would love to hear comments from anyone here that has it.
    Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nataspy

My Nexus 4 needs a new screen :(

I found this post earlier in the thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84792828&postcount=447

So I'm going to replace the screen myself.

I've had a look, but can't seem to find where to get T5 screwdriver? Doesn't mention the size of the Phillips one on the video.

Just wondering if you anyone has any ideas?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

nataspy wrote: »
    My Nexus 4 needs a new screen :(

I found this post earlier in the thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84792828&postcount=447

So I'm going to replace the screen myself.

I've had a look, but can't seem to find where to get T5 screwdriver? Doesn't mention the size of the Phillips one on the video.

Just wondering if you anyone has any ideas?

Cheers.

I bought one off of ebay last week for €2 to replace the back cover of my N4. There's lots available from many vendors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hey, by any chance has anyone tried this case out?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-COVER-Google-Nexus-kwmobile/dp/B00FEIY4YQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390849691&sr=8-3&keywords=Nexus+4+Case

Looks the business but the reviews aren't great, would love to hear comments from anyone here that has it.
    Thanks in advance!

I haven't tried it, but since it's less than £5, I wouldn't expect anything too spectacular! :)
    You'd probably be better off going for a higher priced case with a similar design that has good reviews in my experience.

I haven't tried it, but since it's less than £5, I wouldn't expect anything too spectacular! :)
    You'd probably be better off going for a higher priced case with a similar design that has good reviews in my experience.

Yeah, it'd be nice to get a proper case like this one. That case looks to be modelled on the official one for the Nexus 5 but I didn't manage to find an official flip cover like that for the 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alansteno

i use this one. it comes in 2 parts. i'd strongly recomend it
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/275-6580980-7496962?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Nexus%204%20acare

i have a group created that i send the one text to.
    now however i need to delete some of the names in the group....can you help me do this?

also, i have to create new groups every so often-which takes time btw, i'm disappointed there isnt an easy way to do this with a smart phone or is there? even with the new group created, when i select it there is no function that allows me to write a text. am i missing a trick here?
    surely this should be a basic function on a smart phone. if you can help me i'd be v grateful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Has anyone here had the issue where your WiFi drops or cuts out when streaming music over Bluetooth to a speaker? Its infuriating as I'm trying to stream off Google music and it keeps dropping.

Running carbon rom 4.3 final.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Tinie wrote: »
    Has anyone here had the issue where your WiFi drops or cuts out when streaming music over Bluetooth to a speaker? Its infuriating as I'm trying to stream off Google music and it keeps dropping.

Running carbon rom 4.3 final.

Yup and I have this problem on a Nexus 7 (2013) too, both on stock 4.4.2, very annoying.

i'm having charging issues since xmas.

eg today at 5pm i started charging my phone. it was c55percent.....now at 10:30pm its 33 percent!!!

sometimes it comes up as usb sometimes ac....sometimes it flicks between them....whats going on?

i'm not feeling the love of the phone much now tbh...i wrote to google itself today re the issues i had earlier in this thread-you'll see some of it at the top of this page!

left my phone charging overnight..it was about 30percent. woke up this morning and the phone had dwindled down to 3 percent.
    wifi and bluetooth and data were all turned off. i turn data on for about 2 hours in the evening and off for the nest 22 hours.

so disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Have you tried a different USB cable/plug?
    Have you tried the charger on a different device?

Have you tried a factory reset?
    (Ensure all data/photos backed up first)

• Advertisement

no, i havent got another appropriate cable. but surely the phone shouldnt drain overnight should it. i'm not a real phone person, i bought this because of the great reviews but i feel i cnat trust it.

if i was to do a reset what should i do first to back up stuff.
    will my contacts and their info like birthdays, profile pictures etc be affected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Make sure you have your contacts synced with your gmail, you should be able to check this online. To be safe export them and copy them from the phone to the pc.

For sms I've used sms backup & restore, there seems to be a kitkat version and another version, I've not used it on kitkat.

From my own experience, apps have auto downloaded after factory reset but there's an option for this in the menu's somewhere... Possibly automatic restore in the backup menu.

For whatsapp I always copy the folder to the pc and then put it back once installed again. I'm not sure on the procedure for other apps.

Profile pictures might be lots unless they are backedup somewhere, birthdays I don;t know, check if it's a calendar thing?

I may be missing something but it's a good start at backing up your data before a reset.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It can easily drain fully in 24 hours depending on how hard it's working to maintain a signal, or if background apps are running etc. It's a handheld computer with a phone app rather than a phone after all.

First thing to do is to check that your charger is working. No point being disappointed in the device if you've got a wonky cable or charger. (You'll need a USB micro). Use the cable to connect the phone to the USB of your computer and see if it takes a charge. Then repeat with the supplied charger.

I use this to monitor my battery usage. It gives me a nice graph on one of my home screens.
    You can also get the graph in Settings>Battery without the app.

Here is a particularly busy day for me:
    292543.png
    The vertical cliff resulted from using the phone as a GPS with the screen on all the time. The lower rate of drain was with the phone sitting idle - sometimes this rate is nearly flat, but usually I get about a 50% drain over a 12 hour period.

thanks folks
    i have it charging now on the same cable as i've always used.
    its up to 43percent after 4 hours.

maybe it is the cable. i'll check to see if i can get another cable. carphone warehouse? tesco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Micro usb is probably the most common charger type, see if you can use a friend's/family members.
    Have you checked whether it charges OK when turned off? You could have a dodgy app running that is draining the battery as fast as you're charging.
    Can you check battery usage and see what's consuming the battery? (Settings, battery)

Turn the phone off and plug in the charger and see if it makes a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Can anyone recommend a good place for Nexus 4 repair in Dublin? Dropped phone, screen badly cracked and unlock button seems to be jammed somehow.

EDIT: Any places in Cork would be helpful also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good place for Nexus 4 repair in Dublin? Dropped phone, screen badly cracked and unlock button seems to be jammed somehow.

EDIT: Any places in Cork would be helpful also!

DIY?

http://www.spareslg.com/telemoveis/telemoveis/nexus/nexus-4-e960.html

http://www.nexus4forum.com/forum/nexus-4-help/830-broken-screen-replacement.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

A Neurotic wrote: »

Fonemenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Has anyone else had problems with the power button becoming unresponsive meaning you have to press increasingly harder to get the device to unlock? I've already replaced the power switch on my device with this and now the wife's power button is starting to have the same problem!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Looking to purchase a few apps from the play store went to pay with my phone credit (3) but no option anywhere that I can see for enabling carrier billing. When I click to buy an app and click for the drop down menu I've only got two options card and redeem. I'm connecting through 3G so that's not the problem.

Fired off a quick question to 3 too see what was the problem they couldn't help passed me off to Google which is also no help.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/167794?hl=en&ref_topic=3365267

Thought I'd try here before I go wasting credit ringing Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

user2011 wrote: »
    Looking to purchase a few apps from the play store went to pay with my phone credit (3) but no option anywhere that I can see for enabling carrier billing. When I click to buy an app and click for the drop down menu I've only got two options card and redeem. I'm connecting through 3G so that's not the problem.

Fired off a quick question to 3 too see what was the problem they couldn't help passed me off to Google which is also no help.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/167794?hl=en&ref_topic=3365267

Thought I'd try here before I go wasting credit ringing Google.

You might get a better response over in the talk to 3 forum. Link

I'm with 3 and I'm not having this problem so its not everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Don't know if this is the place to ask but does anyone know of a place to buy a new (or like-new) nexus 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

delta214 wrote: »
    Don't know if this is the place to ask but does anyone know of a place to buy a new (or like-new) nexus 4?

I got mine on adverts last year and it was basically like new cos the guy that had it didn't like it. I'm sure there will be a few for sale on it now

delta214 wrote: »

I got mine on SCAN UK when they were €170 new for the 16GB. They still have them but they're €230. (£190).
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/lg-nexus-4-e960-16gb-google-smartphone-black-wifi-47-ips-hd-screen-2xcamera-bt-nfc-sim-free-open-box?ProductId=89395

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone know a cheap place to get a replacement battery but not cheap enough that it might explode? Thanks. Phone takes a whole day plugged in to charge fully, might as well be a landline. Tried a different cable and same thing.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Anyone know a cheap place to get a replacement battery but not cheap enough that it might explode? Thanks. Phone takes a whole day plugged in to charge fully, might as well be a landline. Tried a different cable and same thing.

Official battery here.
    http://www.spareslg.com/bateria-lg-e960-nexus-4-lg-optimus-g-e975-eac61898601.html

12 quid that couldn't be right :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Are you charging it from a PC/laptop USB or a cable plugged into a socket? Mine usually charges quickly enough when plugged in as oppose to connection via USB, it just drags!

robo wrote: »
    Are you charging it from a PC/laptop USB or a cable plugged into a socket? Mine usually charges quickly enough when plugged in as oppose to connection via USB, it just drags!

Cable in socket. I replaced the screen on it and bent the battery a small bit trying to get it out, might have affecting the life and charge of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Is anyone else's phone battery life being drained severely by YouTube? My phone says that my current battery usage is set at 50% by YouTube. The app is killed and I've tried forced it to stop but nothing has changed. My phone is on charge all and seems to be only losing battery life. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

to whomever recomended 2048 and quizup, i've calculated the cost due to lost hours of work and you owe me a lot of money.
    (tip: in 2048 never slide the tiles to the left, only up down and right)

• Advertisement
Advertisement