Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Just popped my Nexus 4 up on Adverts as I can obtain an Xperia Z1 for €25 as an upgrade this evening (mate owns the shop, should be a lot more if you get me). Lets hope it sells quick since I've had it in a bumper and Dbrand vinyl since day 1. Looking forward to converting the Z1 to either Play Edition rooted or CM11, gorgeous phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

advertsfox wrote: »
    Just popped my Nexus 4 up on Adverts as I can obtain an Xperia Z1 for €25 as an upgrade this evening (mate owns the shop, should be a lot more if you get me). Lets hope it sells quick since I've had it in a bumper and Dbrand vinyl since day 1. Looking forward to converting the Z1 to either Play Edition rooted or CM11, gorgeous phone!

Whatever you do get rid of the Sony software its junk - bane of my life with some Sony phones over the last few years and I really like stock Android now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Whatever you do get rid of the Sony software its junk - bane of my life with some Sony phones over the last few years and I really like stock Android now
    I would never buy a Sony if I didn't have that option. I've had Android phones since the G1 and have put CM on every phone I've had. I'm only considering the Play Edition ROM if the camera app is designed for the Sony (much like the PE HTC One etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Anyone else get reboots from time to time when using snapchat?

I also just noticed that I can't do screen shots and holding the power button doesn't turn of the phone, just locks the screen. I've had this before and it seemed to happen after a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Quote="jozi;89852263"]Anyone else get reboots from time to time when using snapchat?

I also just noticed that I can't do screen shots and holding the power button doesn't turn of the phone, just locks the screen. I've had this before and it seemed to happen after a few days.[/quote]

I'm guessing you already know , put will put it out there anyway, its volume down + power button at the same time for screenshot .
    Other than that, are all the buttons functioning correctly?

Slevster wrote: »
    Quote="jozi;89852263"]

I'm guessing you already know , put will put it out there anyway, its volume down + power button at the same time for screenshot .
    Other than that, are all the buttons functioning correctly?

Thats the thing that doesn't work, it just lowers the volume or locks the phone. Buttons kinda work, holding power won't reboot, it just locks, or hold it long enough it does a hard power off. Rebooting it fixes it though it will happen again eventually :confused:

jozi wrote: »
    Thats the thing that doesn't work, it just lowers the volume or locks the phone. Buttons kinda work, holding power won't reboot, it just locks, or hold it long enough it does a hard power off. Rebooting it fixes it though it will happen again eventually :confused:

Are you rooted? I seem to recall having an similar issue for a while with some ROM. Reflashing solved it.
    Other than that , or factory reset, don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Yes, also having that Snapchat issue. Non rooted and on Stock KitKat.

Quite annoying too.

Yes, also having that Snapchat issue. Non rooted and on Stock KitKat.

Quite annoying too.

Isn't that the idea of snapchat? Having a message that disappears! ( but perhaps shutting down the phone isn't the most popular or convienent method!)

• Advertisement

Stock android 4.4 but rooted. I only did a factory reset a month ago.

As for Snapchat, when it crashes the phone I get to see the msg again once rebooted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ya I also get the snapchat bug. I saw once in the play store that the app itself there was a known issue for the Nexus 4.

The worst is when you have a big artistic one drawn out & sending it to people and the app then crashes. No consistency with the crashes at all.

I suppose the only one positive from it is you can re-view your last opened snap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

I use "3 like home" a lot in northern ireland.
    Is there any settings i can change so my phone will only connect to three while roaming as its irks me when i get charged for using o2 or vodaphone ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I don't get that Snapchat reset bug.

Using carbon ROM 1st April nightly rooted iirc with xposed module.

Best mako ROM around for 4.4 hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

donegal. wrote: »
    I use "3 like home" a lot in northern ireland.
    Is there any settings i can change so my phone will only connect to three while roaming as its irks me when i get charged for using o2 or vodaphone ?

AFAIK there are no setting to connect only to 3 and not to O2 or Vodafone.

I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.insadco.roamingcontrol when travelling to England. The full version costs a few euro but nothing compared to data roaming charges.

Works fine on stock N4

Edit: A trial version for 7 days at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.insadco.roamingcontroltrial

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Wifi not working at the moment, as of yesterday evening. Play Store, RTE and BBC apps, etc - no go. Told it to forget the network, found it again, entered password - said it's connected, but nothing doing, at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Wifi not working at the moment, as of yesterday evening. Play Store, RTE and BBC apps, etc - no go. Told it to forget the network, found it again, entered password - said it's connected, but nothing doing, at all.

Tried rebooting your router?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I can try, but where I'm posting from is fine, so I don't think it's that.

ETA, tried that - news apps are back, clearing the Play store app data helped, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Anyone know where I can the screen replaced in Dublin? I'm not confident doing it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Fonemenders.ie is the official LG repair. It will be around 150 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Plugged in my phone last night to charge it overnight and turned it off (as i always do out of habit) and this morning the phone wouldn't turn on.

I remembered a problem with an old phone whereby if you plug it into your laptop or similar that it'll turn back on and luckily it did! When it turned on, the time was set at some random time and the date was at 1970 :confused:

Any idea what could have caused this? Power surge on the charger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Colemania wrote: »
    Plugged in my phone last night to charge it overnight and turned it off (as i always do out of habit) and this morning the phone wouldn't turn on.

I remembered a problem with an old phone whereby if you plug it into your laptop or similar that it'll turn back on and luckily it did! When it turned on, the time was set at some random time and the date was at 1970 :confused:

Any idea what could have caused this? Power surge on the charger?
    Jaysus, that happened to me when I woke up one morning late last year and the only way I could see to get it back working, after a Google around, was to press a combo of buttons (I think it was Vol - and Power) and then plug in the charger while doing so. You'd then see a LED flash...red I think it was and that got it going again. I was completely freaked out! The battery was only drained for the duration of the night but of course I was thinking that the battery had died. Still no idea what caused it but it hasn't happened since.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a radio frequency issue with the Nexus 4?

I am on Three and am constantly getting the R symbol on my phone where I live. Nobody else in my house gets it and my brother is on Three with an iPhone and has better coverage than me! :confused:

The Wi-fi also drops sometimes and the icon on my screen always shows a poor signal unless i'm very very close to the modem.

I also rooted the phone to try and enable 4G and can't get this working. Any ideas/opinions on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭smackyB

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a radio frequency issue with the Nexus 4?

I am on Three and am constantly getting the R symbol on my phone where I live. Nobody else in my house gets it and my brother is on Three with an iPhone and has better coverage than me! :confused:

The Wi-fi also drops sometimes and the icon on my screen always shows a poor signal unless i'm very very close to the modem.

I also rooted the phone to try and enable 4G and can't get this working. Any ideas/opinions on this?

AFAIK Nexus 4 has never officially supported 4G and even if you could enable the 4G radio module it would not have the capability to receive the 4G frequency used here. Were you seeing the R symbol before you rooted the phone?

smackyB wrote: »
    AFAIK Nexus 4 has never officially supported 4G and even if you could enable the 4G radio module it would not have the capability to receive the 4G frequency used here. Were you seeing the R symbol before you rooted the phone?

Ya I was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I have the R issue on 3 too. Very annoying.

Can't say I've noticed a WiFi problem though.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I have the R issue on 3 too. Very annoying.

Can't say I've noticed a WiFi problem though.

Would you reckon its a combined issue with 3 and the Nexus 4 or a sole problem or one of these factors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Would you reckon its a combined issue with 3 and the Nexus 4 or a sole problem or one of these factors?

Hard to say, although now that you mention it I think my brother had a similar issue with 3 on his HTC One...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

I think it's just a three issue. The problem is, their network is set up differently so if your phone drops signal it won't automatically switch back to 3G unless you force it to search.

I have a standard nexus 4 and have this issue all the time. I also had it on my old S3 and previous phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

It will have the r when you are on Vodafone towers. Three has a deal with Vodafone that allows you to use them when there is no signal on 3. You can still use 3g normally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Other people talking about the problem on the Three forum http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057189638/7

What worked for me was going into the network settings and selecting 3. Come out of the settings and make sure you now have h, then go back in and selecting chose automatically. That worked for me, no problems since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Does anyone know how I can turn off the little warning that comes up while turning up the volume with headphones in? It shouldn't annoy me so much but it does!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Does anyone know how I can turn off the little warning that comes up while turning up the volume with headphones in? It shouldn't annoy me so much but it does!

They really should have a tick box "Don't show this again" type thing.

I recently started using Condi as a Tasker/Automation app.
    I have two tasks setup in it regarding headphones.
    1. (link) When headphones are connected -> Turn music/media volume to 100%
    2. (link) When headphones are connected -> Start playing music

It's really handy.
    I use Podcast Addict to play podcasts in the car. With the two Condi task above, whenever I plug in my headphones my last podcast starts playing at full volume.

EDIT:
    The links in my list above are Condi links. If you click it on your phone with Condi installed you can directly import the task :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

I think you can remove it using an Xposed module if you're rooted, but otherwise no. It's a European law I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Regarding the volume thing, correct me if I'm wrong here (not near my phone) but think you can go up full-volume without any notification when your phone is locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I had a quick search of the Android forum and I couldn't find any specific reference to this...

Has anyone tried the Nexus Wireless Charger?
    I only noticed now that you can buy it from the (Irish) Play Store. It's €39.99
    No more messing with cords and plugs. With the Nexus Wireless Charger, your Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 5 or Nexus 4 simply snaps into place on the magnetic face. Featuring a clean, compact design, the Nexus Wireless Charger adheres securely to a desk, bedside table or countertop for grab-and-go charging.
    Size: 60 x 60 x 12.5 mm. Weight: 105 g

Sng7-dpTqaMNbbrMmHDfx1PXuNPyOg-hLER8qh1RdJICE6oyJy5iaA4gKbhnrvNcXjvr=w800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I had a quick search of the Android forum and I couldn't find any specific reference to this...

Has anyone tried the Nexus Wireless Charger?
    I only noticed now that you can buy it from the (Irish) Play Store. It's €39.99

Size: 60 x 60 x 12.5 mm. Weight: 105 g

Sng7-dpTqaMNbbrMmHDfx1PXuNPyOg-hLER8qh1RdJICE6oyJy5iaA4gKbhnrvNcXjvr=w800

Haven't tried the one above but I was thinking of getting this for the car
    http://www.amazon.com/UPGRADED-Wireless-Charging-Blackberry-Qi-Enabled/dp/B00F5XPCSC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

I have one beside the bed, it's fine, works through my phone cover but it makes it slow to charge, takes a good few hours, but overnight that's fine for me. You need to be fairly accurate aligning it to get it charging, must be straight parallel with the charger. I had been thinking of a way to integrate it into the car but have decided there are already better qi charger car holders available.

Have the dreaded issue here.

Phone died; wont charge/turn on; tried all online remedies with no luck; possibly battery gone or randomly shorted itself; contacted google, they advised to RMA the phone; made up excuse about living in south of ireland now, and that cant receive phone from the north, which they said they might make an exception for; emailed today saying they couldn't after all.

Now, im no lawyer, but is this legal under EU law with manufacturer warranty? Surely they cant deny to replace a phone if the original is broken, regardless of where you live in the EU?

So looks like ill have to parcel motel the refurb and ship my phone off at my own expense. Has anyone here been successful in getting them to collect and deliver the refurb from you down in the republic?

Tinie wrote: »
    Have the dreaded issue here.

Phone died; wont charge/turn on; tried all online remedies with no luck; possibly battery gone or randomly shorted itself; contacted google, they advised to RMA the phone; made up excuse about living in south of ireland now, and that cant receive phone from the north, which they said they might make an exception for; emailed today saying they couldn't after all.

Now, im no lawyer, but is this legal under EU law with manufacturer warranty? Surely they cant deny to replace a phone if the original is broken, regardless of where you live in the EU?

So looks like ill have to parcel motel the refurb and ship my phone off at my own expense. Has anyone here been successful in getting them to collect and deliver the refurb from you down in the republic?

May sound stupid but did you try plugging it into a computer with the USB cable? Worked for me when i did that a few times

• Advertisement

May sound stupid but did you try plugging it into a computer with the USB cable? Worked for me when i did that a few times

Yeah I did :(

Phone led flashes red but wont turn on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Yeah I did :(

Phone led flashes red but wont turn on.

That happened with mine, I tried a different charger and cable and it worked - you've probably tried that already though.

That happened with mine, I tried a different charger and cable and it worked - you've probably tried that already though.

Unfortunately yeah, all points to damaged battery. Not sure what casued it though. First phone to ever break like this on me, and it would be the one with the awkward warranty.

Mams nexus stopped working a while ago while i was away, screen went black and wouldnt turn on is all i know that was wrong with it. She got a meteor store to take it and fix it for here. They had it for a months or so and since she got it back her battery is rubish. I did a factory reset 2 weeks a go thinking it might help but its not even lasting a day, shes getting roughly 12hrs if not less.

Shes by no means a heavy user, prob only text and a bit of Facebook and whatsapp as well as some calls. My own nexus does 30hrs easy and i use a lot more different apps than she does.

Anyone got any idea?

jozi wrote: »
    Mams nexus stopped working a while ago while i was away, screen went black and wouldnt turn on is all i know that was wrong with it. She got a meteor store to take it and fix it for here. They had it for a months or so and since she got it back her battery is rubish. I did a factory reset 2 weeks a go thinking it might help but its not even lasting a day, shes getting roughly 12hrs if not less.

Shes by no means a heavy user, prob only text and a bit of Facebook and whatsapp as well as some calls. My own nexus does 30hrs easy and i use a lot more different apps than she does.

Anyone got any idea?
    Did she buy her nexus 4 from meteor, and if not, how much was it for them to fix it?

Did she buy her nexus 4 from meteor, and if not, how much was it for them to fix it?

Sew knows the guy in the shop who did her a favour, got it through flubit last year.

• Advertisement

Anyone getting excessive battery drain by Google Play Services over the last few days / week?
    Seems there was an update recently . its now on 4.4.52 (didn't actually notice it been updated at the time) .
    But my battery is drying after about 8 hrs with very light use , where I woulf usually get at least 16hrs . My habits haven't changed. ( the battery performance on my phone was never great. 16 to 24 hrs at the best of times, but that is without making too many power saving comprises)

Have turned of Location settings, which has stopped the excess drain.

Am rooted but running stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

I have noticed my battery has been much worse recently, I'm lucky if I get a full day but it does depend on usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I have noticed my battery has been much worse recently, I'm lucky if I get a full day but it does depend on usage.

Same here. Battery seems brutal the last 2 weeks or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Same here. Battery seems brutal the last 2 weeks or so.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yep, me too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement