Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Same here, Google Play Services is eating through my battery.
    Where I work has very bad coverage in general and my battery can drain somewhat quickly as the phone hunts for a signal. But lately I've found that my battery is almost dead after a days work (with minimal usage) while at home on the weekend its energy consumption is minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Check to see what version of play services ye have. Interested to see if we are all having issues with the same version.
    Have tried switching from ART to Davik , but no improvement. Haven't tried uninstalling updates yet.
    Only improvement I have found is disabling location in the settings
    The 4.4.3 android update is due in the next few weeks, hopefully it may improve things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Slevster wrote: »
    Check to see what version of play services ye have. Interested to see if we are all having issues with the same version.
    Have tried switching from ART to Davik , but no improvement. Haven't tried uninstalling updates yet.
    The 4.4.3 android update is due in the next few weeks, hopefully it may improve things.

I'm running cm11, google play services v4.4.52

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Tinie wrote: »
    Have the dreaded issue here.

Phone died; wont charge/turn on; tried all online remedies with no luck; possibly battery gone or randomly shorted itself; contacted google, they advised to RMA the phone; made up excuse about living in south of ireland now, and that cant receive phone from the north, which they said they might make an exception for; emailed today saying they couldn't after all.

Now, im no lawyer, but is this legal under EU law with manufacturer warranty? Surely they cant deny to replace a phone if the original is broken, regardless of where you live in the EU?

So looks like ill have to parcel motel the refurb and ship my phone off at my own expense. Has anyone here been successful in getting them to collect and deliver the refurb from you down in the republic?

Mine went in to the deep hibernation from 96% battery two days ago after I installed Lastpass so thats what I thought had killed it.
    It would not turn on and not charge until I did the following. Maybe you have tried this but worth a shot

1. Remove any cover etc from phone as sometimes with a cover on you cant depress the buttons fully
    2. Hold the power button and the Vol down button very firmly (needs to be well pressed)
    3. plug in the charging cable while still holding the buttons firmly (the original charger and cable is best but this worked with a car charger for me so try different cables and chargers)

The phone should display a battery symbol or red led.
    Leave it plugged in for a few hours

Fixed it for me anyway 2 days ago

I also had an issue while on holiday in Spain 3 weeks ago
    We had the one charger (used with an adapter plug) and a few cables with us for charging the wifes Moto G and a Sammy 7 inch tab and my Nexus

The Moto G and Sammy charged away no problem but the Nexus refused to charge.
    I went out and bought a generic charger and cable in the local equivalent of the €2 shop and that worked without an problem

Strange but not sure if I am going to have more issues down the road with the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

4.4.52 here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

+1 here

Running Play Services 4.4.52

+1 here

Running Play Services 4.4.52

Same version here.

Have just uninstalled the updates to play Google services. (Back to version 4.0.33)
    Will see if battery performs any better over the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Gerard92

Same red light issue here, does anyone know if replacing the battery will work? Or is it a mainboard problem? I dropped it into electronic partner in Galway and they told me it was a motherboard problem but I do not have a lot of faith in them, they returned it without the screws in the battery flex cable and the glass screen is now very slightly higher than the bezel making the feel of it very rough to hold. Anyway I tried every fix on xda with no luck but don't want to give up on this phone.
    For people with battery problems, if you are rooted you should try Pure Performance X, sorry cannot post links due to having less than 50 posts, just google it, I'm using the Moto G now and battery life and performance is very, very good with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Had similar issue. N4 running stock & not rooted.

Cleared Google+ cache, Google Play Services cache and uninstalled Accu Weather +

Battery drain issue "seems" to be resolved - not sure which, if any, of the above fixed it but I ain't complaining.

For overnight power saving I use Battery Widget Reborn. Allows you to set what services to toggle on/off overnight - different schedules for weekdays & weekends. I think it cost a couple of bucks.

• Advertisement

Have just uninstalled the updates to play Google services. (Back to version 4.0.33)
    Will see if battery performs any better over the next few days.

Sorry, but I can't give a reliable update yet . as on the first day, I had unusually high phone usage all day. The second day, it seems as if the screen was on constant for 1hr 45 min in my pocket by mistake, and today, I forgot my phone at home (plugged in). Am away till next week, so phone habit will be different.
    But it seems better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Anyone else ever find their phone overheating and the battery draining rapidly? Been happening to me for the past few days. Generally fine throughout the day then it'll spaz out at some point in the late afternoon or evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭setanta1984

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Anyone else ever find their phone overheating and the battery draining rapidly? Been happening to me for the past few days. Generally fine throughout the day then it'll spaz out at some point in the late afternoon or evening.

Have had the exact same happen a couple of times, most recently just an hour or two ago. Hadn't really been using the phone, took it out of my pocket and noticed the battery had dropped about 20% in a short space of time, the back of the phone was very hot and performance was way down - most noticeably the power button - I couldn't get the power menu to show up, it would just freeze for a moment then lock the screen. Forcing a reboot with power + vol down has sorted it each time this has happened to me. Odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Right, this is getting ridiculous. I'm now lucky to get 12 hours without having to charge it and a few weeks ago I would pretty easily get 24hrs. I went from over 60% to 24% in less then 90 minutes yesterday with almost no usage whatsoever!

I switched Google play services location settings to GPS only. Fixed the battery drain until they fix it.

5uspect wrote: »
    I switched Google play services location settings to GPS only. Fixed the battery drain until they fix it.

I've just done the same, hopefully that'll do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

How do you do this?

Andrew 83 wrote: »
    How do you do this?

Go to " location " in settings and turn off or change accuracy settings

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Can't seem to get into the Play Store at all. Tried clearing the cache and uninstalling updates, but nothing doing. Don't think it helps that wifi has been somewhat spotty lately.

• Advertisement

Can't seem to get into the Play Store at all. Tried clearing the cache and uninstalling updates, but nothing doing. Don't think it helps that wifi has been somewhat spotty lately.

Did you clear data in the Google play services in apps aswell? And reboot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yep and yep. Play Store just sits there circling. Twitter and Viber connected via wifi, not the PS, though.

Yep and yep. Play Store just sits there circling. Twitter and Viber connected via wifi, not the PS, though.

I have had similar problems with play services once or twice before, but it was usually related to me messing around with kernels or Roms. Clearing data usually works, or else a wipe if rooted, or factory reset if not. (Also a reinstall of gapps if rooted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Does anyone know when 4.4.3 will be available for nexus 4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

It's already available, my wife got it on hers earlier, I've a nexus 5 and still haven't got it on mine. You have to wait, it'll show as being available soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Got it OTA at about 7pm last night. Stock unrooted phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I'm not having any battery drain problems stock but rooted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Got it OTA at about 7pm last night. Stock unrooted phone
    Got mine at the same time last night. No sign of it for my Nexus 7 (2012) yet.

Got mine this evening at around 8pm. Hopefully will sort battery drain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Got mine this evening at around 8pm. Hopefully will sort battery drain

Still haven't got mine. Mines rooted by the way. I tried doing it manually yesterday but failed!

Still haven't got my update....

• Advertisement

Updated myself last night. Phone is rooted so had to flash the factory image. I didn't flash the userdata img file so I was able to keep all my data. Thankfully it worked out fine.

jgbyr wrote: »
    Updated myself last night. Phone is rooted so had to flash the factory image. I didn't flash the userdata img file so I was able to keep all my data. Thankfully it worked out fine.

I rooted my phone recently and downloaded the factory image for 4.4.3 and all the tools needed but I can't seem to do it. Dunno what I'm doing wrong to be honest. There's no flash-all.bat file in my directory so when it got to that step I didn't know what to do

Colemania wrote: »
    I rooted my phone recently and downloaded the factory image for 4.4.3 and all the tools needed but I can't seem to do it. Dunno what I'm doing wrong to be honest. There's no flash-all.bat file in my directory so when it got to that step I didn't know what to do

Flash-all wouldn't work for me, it seems it can happen so I flashed the files individually. I'm out at the moment but when I get home I'll get the list from the laptop & post them for you.

Flash-all wouldn't work for me, it seems it can happen so I flashed the files individually. I'm out at the moment but when I get home I'll get the list from the laptop & post them for you.

Thanks very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't know if it's been a problem for anyone else but reception and data coverage has been definitely affected since I downloaded update on Friday.

Have one bar at the minute around my house.. always been 3-4 bars before this update.

Walked in for a few pints last night - got "lost connectivity" message trying to use the Net / Spotify. Restarted phone, turned Airplane Mode on / off and it eventually kicked in.

Maybe it's network issues but I'm doubting it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Google Play Services is still draining my battery after the update.

Ok,here's what I did to get the update. First of all make sure you have a nandroid backup. Then at least if it all goes wrong you can restore using CWM or TWRP.

The Factory image files need to be extracted to the same folder as the ADB/Fastboot.

I removed userdata image file from image-occam-ktu84l.zip,as I wanted to keep my data. If you want to keep a custom recovery then also remove the recovery image file.

Then opening a command prompt in the folder, I entered the following commands (waiting for each to complete in sequence).

This is the syntax I need , not sure if its the same for everyone.

fastboot-windows flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz30d.img

fastboot-windows reboot-bootloader

fastboot-windows flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1701.02.img

fastboot reboot-bootloader

fastboot-windows update image-occam-ktu84l.zip

Once it completed the phone rebooted & I put the SuperSu zip on the internal card & flashed in recovery to get root back.

Hope this helps. It worked for me,others may have an easier way of doing it. As i mentioned earlier flash-all.bat is supposed to run all the above but it wouldn't work for me.

Ok,here's what I did to get the update. First of all make sure you have a nandroid backup. Then at least if it all goes wrong you can restore using CWM or TWRP.

The Factory image files need to be extracted to the same folder as the ADB/Fastboot.

I removed userdata image file from image-occam-ktu84l.zip,as I wanted to keep my data. If you want to keep a custom recovery then also remove the recovery image file.

Then opening a command prompt in the folder, I entered the following commands (waiting for each to complete in sequence).

This is the syntax I need , not sure if its the same for everyone.

fastboot-windows flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz30d.img

fastboot-windows reboot-bootloader

fastboot-windows flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1701.02.img

fastboot reboot-bootloader

fastboot-windows update image-occam-ktu84l.zip

Once it completed the phone rebooted & I put the SuperSu zip on the internal card & flashed in recovery to get root back.

Hope this helps. It worked for me,others may have an easier way of doing it. As i mentioned earlier flash-all.bat is supposed to run all the above but it wouldn't work for me.

In the factory image file i got there's only one file in the zip. That's not right so is it?

In the factory image file i got there's only one file in the zip. That's not right so is it?

No, there should be alot more. Did you properly extract the contents using the likes of 7zip? In the image file alone there are I think 6 files.

No, there should be alot more. Did you properly extract the contents using the likes of 7zip? In the image file alone there are I think 6 files.

In the zip there's a tar file and that's it

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been a problem for anyone else but reception and data coverage has been definitely affected since I downloaded update on Friday.

Have one bar at the minute around my house.. always been 3-4 bars before this update.

Walked in for a few pints last night - got "lost connectivity" message trying to use the Net / Spotify. Restarted phone, turned Airplane Mode on / off and it eventually kicked in.

Maybe it's network issues but I'm doubting it!

I haven't noticed myself but I wasn't out much this weekend. I'm on three so ****ty coverage is par for the course.

In the zip there's a tar file and that's it

Then extract that also to get the files inside it.

Then extract that also to get the files inside it.

oh i didn't think there was any files in it. so i use 7zip to extract them? like winrar didn't detect anything

oh i didn't think there was any files in it. so i use 7zip to extract them? like winrar didn't detect anything

I'm not sure if I extracted it or just clicked on it. Either way there are more files in there & you need them.

I'm not sure if I extracted it or just clicked on it. Either way there are more files in there & you need them.

ok i've extracted them and trying it now. i've just noticed that any root related apps like nandroid backup and super su are acting like my phone isn't rooted even though it is......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I haven't noticed myself but I wasn't out much this weekend. I'm on three so ****ty coverage is par for the course.
    Yeah, I'm on Three as well.. and while coverage is patchy at best most days, the route I walked yesterday where I'd no coverage was always a strong area for data in the past.. so definitely something is not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

Have we not gone through all this before , the sequence with which the Nexus is updated goes something like this . Day 1 : release it to 1% of phones , wait a few days for feed back then release it to 5% wait a few days for feedback then 10% then 25% , 50% and finally 100% . This way they get feedback making sure that some bug that they might have missed gets picked up before it hits all of the phones . I can't remember where I read this originally ( pretty sure it was here though ) and the details I put up aren't exactly right but it is roughly how it goes . I think it's also done by serial number or something like that . Now I sit back and wait to be ( rightly ) corrected .

Got the update flashed eventually anyway! Thought i did something wrong when it said it couldn't find boot.sig and recovery.sig and then started erasing stuff!

all's good though :)

Got the update flashed eventually anyway! Thought i did something wrong when it said it couldn't find boot.sig and recovery.sig and then started erasing stuff!

all's good though :)

Glad it's sorted.

• Advertisement

SuperSu is on my phone but i just checked and it's definitely not rooted. Something must have went wrong in the process but I'm not trying it again! Gave me heart attacks last time!

Anyway, my problem with the phone at the moment is that every 2nd time i turn on my phone, the home button doesn't work and i can't put in my pin code to access the mobile network. once i turn it off and on again its fine. Very odd though

Advertisement