Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

5.1 is here :)

I am going to try to side load it tomorrow night. Anyone else going to give it a go sooner?

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/04/nexus-4-lollipop-5-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Flashed 5.1 last night

Hoped they had addressed the mobile radio active issue. Doesn't look like it. (For my phone anyway)

Anyone else get "mobile radio active" on for hours? Eg use chrome to search for something for a minute or two, exit out of the app , then view the battery stats an hour or two later, to see that chrome has used a huge amount of power

Seems to be a common but not hugely widespread issue (across different phone brands too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭lynchie

Slevster wrote: »
    Flashed 5.1 last night

Hoped they had addressed the mobile radio active issue. Doesn't look like it. (For my phone anyway)

Anyone else get "mobile radio active" on for hours? Eg use chrome to search for something for a minute or two, exit out of the app , then view the battery stats an hour or two later, to see that chrome has used a huge amount of power

Seems to be a common but not hugely widespread issue (across different phone brands too)

yeah still have apps showing with mobile radio active time even though I have my wifi set to always on (and the battery app shows it as on so there should be no need to send data on the mobile network)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think I last posted here after my 4 turned itself off. It did so again last night, and just now this evening. Both times the date/time were out of sync (don't mind that, just wondering what's going on).

Last night it was at 63% battery, I turned on flight mode and plugged in to charge. I woke up at about 4:20am. It was fully charged. I couldn't get back to sleep, turned out wifi, had a look around boards. Got up for work around 6, phone was off. This evening I got home with about 80% battery. Had a bite to eat, listened to the radio...came back upstairs the phone was off.

Is this something I can ignore, or will it get worse? I'm a fairly light user.

I think I last posted here after my 4 turned itself off. It did so again last night, and just now this evening. Both times the date/time were out of sync (don't mind that, just wondering what's going on).

Last night it was at 63% battery, I turned on flight mode and plugged in to charge. I woke up at about 4:20am. It was fully charged. I couldn't get back to sleep, turned out wifi, had a look around boards. Got up for work around 6, phone was off. This evening I got home with about 80% battery. Had a bite to eat, listened to the radio...came back upstairs the phone was off.

What version are you running ?( kitkat, lollipop, or custom)
    Updated recently?
    Phone get hot during use?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sorry, yeah. It's stock 5.0.1. Haven't noticed any temperature issues with the handset. Only update apps, tbh.

lynchie wrote: »
    yeah still have apps showing with mobile radio active time even though I have my wifi set to always on (and the battery app shows it as on so there should be no need to send data on the mobile network)

I have noticed this also - last week I ran over my 2GB data package and I had about 5 days to go before it refreshed. WiFi is set to always on but I noticed on my bill that there was data usage in the middle of the night when I was at home asleep in bed when it should have been using WiFi if it needed to.

Have not had the chance to update to 5.1 yet but this Lollipop thing is really not great at all. Its the Windows Vista of Android I think

Might be worth letting your battery run down completely and then charging completely.
    (Could be your battery on the way out)

Got the 5.1 update notification, installing it now.

Installed the update, updated a few apps afterwards. It's saying it's going to take Chrome an hour to update...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I updated last night. Haven't noticed any huge improvements yet but it hasn't turned itself off or overheated either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

What's it like? Any improvements?

Think mine rebooted out of the blue earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Update came up on the phone so I clicked it and its been saying "waiting to download" for about a half an hour now. Is that normal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

^^^^^ ditto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

The download took and age on my n4 and n7, then the update took about an hour

Its just updated and then the update notification came back k so I don't know if it actually worked or not 😂 took too long so I'm not doing it again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I go the update notification yesterday and got the waiting to download message when I went to do it.

I for got that my phone was unlocked and rooted so the install failed.

I'm happy enough on 5.0.1 and don't fancy the whole unrooting the phone again and losing my current setup.

Is it worth it doing?

Had to bite the bullet yesterday.
    Phone was acting the dog – I updated to 5.1 and gave it a few days to bed down but it was appalling.
    Battery was going from 25% to 0% in the space of 6 hours when the phone was not in use on at my bedside overnight. WTF – the phone was not in use at all and was set to priority mode and went from 25 to 0 in 6 hours. Not good. Looking at the battery stats it was showing awake 100% of the time. Lag was appalling. Apps were crashing and just in general acting the maggot

I did a wipe cache partition and that made zero improvement so I did the full factory reset and that seems to have helped. Battery is now at 51% after I unplugged at 3.30 am this morning and with moderate use. Lag has also improved but will need to give it a few days to make a full decision if its better

Lollipop really is a bit a disaster if it takes a full hard reset and a lot of tinkering to get it working. It took a good 2 hours of messing with the phone last night to get it set up again and I would call myself a power user. I would hate to think what effort a regular user would need to put in to have their phone up and running smoothly after this joke of an update.
    Google have dropped the ball here big time. All well and good making the OS look pretty (Material Design to me is a bit ughhh anyway) but if they can’t get it to work out of the box then no wonder people give out about phones and switch to iPhones!
    I will have to go through the same process with my wife’s Moto G as she is complaining like mad that the phone is almost unusable after upgrading to 5.0.1 last week. Not looking forward to having to do that tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

I had the same massive battery issue also when I upgraded to 5.1. The culprit seemed to be a media indexer (I can't remember the exact name from the battery usage monitor). However, after 2 days it settled down to a normal battery usage profile.
    Had to bite the bullet yesterday.
    Phone was acting the dog – I updated to 5.1 and gave it a few days to bed down but it was appalling.
    Battery was going from 25% to 0% in the space of 6 hours when the phone was not in use on at my bedside overnight. WTF – the phone was not in use at all and was set to priority mode and went from 25 to 0 in 6 hours. Not good. Looking at the battery stats it was showing awake 100% of the time. Lag was appalling. Apps were crashing and just in general acting the maggot

I did a wipe cache partition and that made zero improvement so I did the full factory reset and that seems to have helped. Battery is now at 51% after I unplugged at 3.30 am this morning and with moderate use. Lag has also improved but will need to give it a few days to make a full decision if its better

Lollipop really is a bit a disaster if it takes a full hard reset and a lot of tinkering to get it working. It took a good 2 hours of messing with the phone last night to get it set up again and I would call myself a power user. I would hate to think what effort a regular user would need to put in to have their phone up and running smoothly after this joke of an update.
    Google have dropped the ball here big time. All well and good making the OS look pretty (Material Design to me is a bit ughhh anyway) but if they can’t get it to work out of the box then no wonder people give out about phones and switch to iPhones!
    I will have to go through the same process with my wife’s Moto G as she is complaining like mad that the phone is almost unusable after upgrading to 5.0.1 last week. Not looking forward to having to do that tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Unsure if its 5.1 related but my 4 has started randomly switching itself off or hard-crashing quite a bit lately when in the middle of being used. Seperate to the random turn-itself-off when in sleep mode that has meant I can't rely on e.g. alarm functions to get me up for 6am flights etc.

Have also recently had issues with Youtube streaming failing ("Unable to play content, retry later") which requires a reboot and magically streams fine.

Getting a bit p***ed off, the 4 is going to pot, my Nexus 7 (2012) was bricked for 3 months by lollipop and is now barely useable. I see the Nexus 9 is now available for what seems a decent price but I'm really reluctant to buy Google again after this experience. Are Samsung / Chinese branded Android devices as randomly unreliable? Still cant stomach going Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

darraghn wrote: »
    I had the same massive battery issue also when I upgraded to 5.1. The culprit seemed to be a media indexer (I can't remember the exact name from the battery usage monitor). However, after 2 days it settled down to a normal battery usage profile.

Whatsapp was my problem , eating away my battery at an unbelievable rate .

Unsure if its 5.1 related but my 4 has started randomly switching itself off or hard-crashing quite a bit lately when in the middle of being used. Seperate to the random turn-itself-off when in sleep mode that has meant I can't rely on e.g. alarm functions to get me up for 6am flights etc.

Have also recently had issues with Youtube streaming failing ("Unable to play content, retry later") which requires a reboot and magically streams fine.

Getting a bit p***ed off, the 4 is going to pot, my Nexus 7 (2012) was bricked for 3 months by lollipop and is now barely useable. I see the Nexus 9 is now available for what seems a decent price but I'm really reluctant to buy Google again after this experience. Are Samsung / Chinese branded Android devices as randomly unreliable? Still cant stomach going Apple.
    Ya I am still getting the YouTube error also - really annoying. That and all the cr*p they have added in like the whole silent mode set up junk and the fact that the led flashes at night even if I have it in priority mode (never did this on 5.0.1 or KitKat) makes me think that stock Android is going backwards. maybe its time to jump ship to something like LG or OnePlus etc.
    The Nexus devices have also become just as expensive as other high end gadgets and are now no longer worth the cash you would pay hence the p*ss poor sales figures of the N6 and N9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

My screen won't work during a call, very awkward for top-ups, conference calls etc. Any known fix to this?

My screen won't work during a call, very awkward for top-ups, conference calls etc. Any known fix to this?

I found that you have to hold your finger down for several seconds and it'll then work.
    Pain in the neck though because before I found that (sometimes) works, I couldn't hang up after a call!

I had to resort to a reboot and then wipe the partition cache to get YouTube working.
    My wife's 2012 Nexus 7 s now a heap of junk but I might try a factory reset on it and see if that helps.

The last two iterations of Android have really put me off the O/S. I'm seriously contemplating buying an iPhone next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Heroditas wrote: »
    I had to resort to a reboot and then wipe the partition cache to get YouTube working.
    My wife's 2012 Nexus 7 s now a heap of junk but I might try a factory reset on it and see if that helps.

The last two iterations of Android have really put me off the O/S. I'm seriously contemplating buying an iPhone next.

Completely agree with you - and I have a Nexus 4, 7 and a OnePlus One all in use at the moment. First software update seems to finish them and you need to go online just to make your phone work

I'm seriously contemplating buying an iPhone next.

Nooooooooo........
    Don't go to the dark side:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

The thing about OTA updates is if you keep updating you'll end up with bugs, guaranteed, this is true for every OS, it's always better and cleaner to wipe and setup fresh
    Well except Apple devices because all they get in their updates is new icons
    :p

• Advertisement

Nooooooooo........
    Don't go to the dark side:D

Well, I'm kinda already having an affair insofar as I have an iPad for years! :D

Also, in terms of call quality, my work Blackberry Z30 is pretty bloody good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Been back on KK for this past five days, the last 3 days my screen on time has been over 4 hours with about 20% left. I was only scratching 2 and a half on lollipop. Back in the happy camp.

Also charge time is just over 2 hours.

Anyone finding that the screen jumps with 5.1? When I press one side of the screen sometimes whatever's on the other side presses instead. I have to turn the screen off and on again to get it back to normal :/
    Should be trading to an iPhone 5 soon anyway so it doesn't matter too much to me. Even though i told myself I'd never get an iPhone haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

When I go to google home screen after updates today it shows "get cards now" it fills 3/4 of the page.. I don't know why this has suddenly appeared.. I am still on KitKat as I chose not to update to 5.1..

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    When I go to google home screen after updates today it shows "get cards now" it fills 3/4 of the page.. I don't know why this has suddenly appeared.. I am still on KitKat as I chose not to update to 5.1..

Update to the Google app yesterday caused issue for me also - screen kept re-drawing and the phone rebooted out of the blue twice. Wifes Moto G also had the 'Get Cards Now' even though she has been using Google Now for ages.

Google really are making a mess of updates lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Update to the Google app yesterday caused issue for me also - screen kept re-drawing and the phone rebooted out of the blue twice. Wifes Moto G also had the 'Get Cards Now' even though she has been using Google Now for ages.

Google really are making a mess of updates lately
    Hope this is fixed soon as it is annoying.. Never used google now or cards. No interest and also a very ugly white screen..
    Hope your sorted after your update..thank you for your reply,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 heiid4

The intention was to try get LTE 4G working, but I see from this thread that our 4g bands are incompatible with the modem, is this true, or has anyone in Ireland successfully got 4G on their nexus4 with an Irish mobile network?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

heiid4 wrote: »
    The intention was to try get LTE 4G working, but I see from this thread that our 4g bands are incompatible with the modem, is this true, or has anyone in Ireland successfully got 4G on their nexus4 with an Irish mobile network?!

Pretty sure it's not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

heiid4 wrote: »

Not possible. The frequencies it supports are not used here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Dropped my phone last night, smashed the screen. The screen still comes on with the power button and still rings but the touch screen is shagged so it's unusable.

I've probably dropped it 50 times and it was always fine, must have landed in the worst possible way. Probably time for an upgrade anyway.

Thinking of getting a Moto X to replace it, I like the one with the wood on the back.

EGriff wrote: »
    Dropped my phone last night, smashed the screen. The screen still comes on with the power button and still rings but the touch screen is shagged so it's unusable.

I've probably dropped it 50 times and it was always fine, must have landed in the worst possible way. Probably time for an upgrade anyway.

Thinking of getting a Moto X to replace it, I like the one with the wood on the back.

Take a look at this thread in bargain alerts.

• Advertisement

Take a look at this thread in bargain alerts.

Thanks for that, but they won't ship to Ireland or accept an Irish credit card so can't use parcel motel either. The orange site have them at a good price but I'm after the bamboo version and its more expensive and pretty much same price on expansys.

EGriff wrote: »
    Thanks for that, but they won't ship to Ireland or accept an Irish credit card so can't use parcel motel either. The orange site have them at a good price but I'm after the bamboo version and its more expensive and pretty much same price on expansys.

There's a few extra posts about purchasing from amazon.es and amazon.fr, one mentions the bamboo cover phone. Sure have a look.

Yeah I ordered from expansys in the end. Couldn't wait any longer, I have no phone at all at the moment.

so i too have smashed my screen. Any recommendations for a cheap, fast replacement screen? thanks

donegal. wrote: »
    so i too have smashed my screen. Any recommendations for a cheap, fast replacement screen? thanks

It's straightforward enough to do if you can get somewhere that sells replacement screens at a reasonable price. That was the issue people were having last time it got discussed.

It's straightforward enough to do if you can get somewhere that sells replacement screens at a reasonable price. That was the issue people were having last time it got discussed.

i recon i could change it no bother, i'd change the frame and everything for handiness.
    looking on ebay it looks like it'll cost €60. does anyone know where i'd get a better price?

i recon i could change it no bother, i'd change the frame and everything for handiness.
    looking on ebay it looks like it'll cost €60. does anyone know where i'd get a better price?

I paid around €55 back in March, with the euro on the slide the prices are only going one way unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Have you tried amazon? Think when I replaced mine I got it for around fifty but euro is gone to sh!the against the pound don't think much difference. Just quick look on amazon is showing 32+ then delivery or 37.58 free delivery in UK.

some of the cheaper ones on amazon had bad reviews.

ended up ordering one on ebay for 45 / €66.

word of warning, if you're in one of those soft play areas / jungle gym places with the kids and you've put your phone in your back pocket to keep it safe, don't go down the coca cola slide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Its been a good almost 3 years with the nexus 4 but just getting fed up now with it.

When i turn screen on to unlock it, it seems to register lots of touches and goes hey wire on the screen lock i have to wait sometimes up to 5 mins for that to stop.

Even when sitting on the home screen the phone will start opening apps and going from one page to another on its own, tried a full reset and same thing happened.

Also tried everything but my laptop will not pick it up when it is connected to open it as storage but will still charge.

Just ordered the Moto X since it is way down in price and I will double my storage space.

• Advertisement
Advertisement