Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unearthly Child free on UPC on demand til January!

Options
  • 14-12-2012 1:10pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Alongside the first 4 new series.

Just watched the first episode ever there :)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Alongside the first 4 new series.

Just watched the first episode ever there :)

Doctor is a bit of an unsettling mofo, isn't he?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Doctor is a bit of an unsettling mofo, isn't he?

Yeah, he wasn't necessarily supposed to be a pleasant chap :)

I think he's great, a cantankerous, untrustworthy, slightly sinister but ultimately good guy :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah, he wasn't necessarily supposed to be a nice guy :)

I think he's great, a cantankerous, untrustworthy, slightly sinister but ultimately good guy :)

After the first few stories, I strongly felt that he had 'stolen' Susan. Not against her will, but someone else's. He thaws out pretty quickly. Aren't Barbara and Ian brilliant?!

I've been watching them on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Nearly every existing full story of the first Doctor is on Netflix. Those that aren't I've got on DVD, the first Doctor was never really the main hero of the story like he is today, it was always Ian, and later Stephen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Slightly Off topic.........

But these were the great Doctor stories

How much of a relief is it to watch these without having to second or triple guess yourself that "Susan is the Rani" "Ian is The Master" or some other crap plot device they need to use these days

Stories stood on their own

/bitter dude

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Different times I suppose TM. Nowadays fans especially the hardcore fans expect and want that kinda thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Wibbs wrote: »
    Different times I suppose TM. Nowadays fans especially the hardcore fans expect and want that kinda thing.
    I like the more layered stories and the Doctor's more manipulative side. It's something I grew to like in the Virgin spin-off novels after the original series ended and Moffat's picked up on.

Having said that I also appreciate elements of the classic series. Not so much Hartnell's Doctor who was just too cantankerous but more so Troughton's space-hobo. One of the reasons I like Smith's interpretation really: He's come closest to the Troughton Doctor than anyone else.

Advertisement