Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straights

Options
  • 14-12-2012 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭

Gentlemen,

I am looking to buy a straight razor but have no experience with them at all. It's a gift and the person i am getting one for is the same, no experience. I am wondering if any of you could give me some advice on what to look for, is there such thing as a learner kit and where could i buy one? (preferably in dublin). My budget for it would be under the 50 euro mark and i am not even sure if that's possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

mods, if there is a more appropriate forum feel free to move.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

You won't find what you're after in Dublin for €50. You would have to look online and the only place I know of that has a starter kit is based in the US and is pretty much done shipping for December.

Also as it would be a gift for someone I would really recommend them because their starter kit is as basic as it needs to be. Chances are it will have some aesthetic defects that won't affect the performance of the straight razor but it will not look as nice as a brand new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 davey_j

First off great idea for a gift, I'm guessing the first reply is describing the whippeddog sight unseen deal (please correct me if mistaken) and although he's not wrong when saying the razor supplied will shave, you could not give such a razor as a gift without offending someone as the cosmetic flaws can be pretty horrendous. (I don't say that to offend anyone but trying to convince someone not already obsessed with wet shaving to use an ugly and tarnished piece of steel over a gilette may be difficult)

Considering the time frame left to you, may I suggest increasing your budget slightly and buying a best quality Dovo from shaving.ie

You'll get it delivered on the next working day and although there's debate as to whether you can shave with it straight out of the box, excuse the pun, if living in Dublin your mate could have it honed with his next haircut at the waldorf. Just don't forget to either buy a strop or tell him he will need to source a leather strop before use.

Yep, I was on about the whipped dog sight unseen. I should have said that it's the only place I know of with a starter kit in the proce range he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 davey_j

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Yep, I was on about the whipped dog sight unseen. I should have said that it's the only place I know of with a starter kit in the proce range he has.

I agree with you 100% that price wise you can't argue with what they provide, that said there is such a thing as too cheap and infact I use my whipped dog as a letter opener (very very sharp letter opener) as although I know I've sterlised and cleaned the it, it still looks filthy!

Anyway regarding the op, I can't speak highly enough about shaving.ie but I've been informed that you can also buy a good quality straight from Liam at the aforementioned barbers in Westmoreland St.

I was wondering why you were bringing up not getting one from whipped dog as a gift because I thought I had mentioned that in my initial response. Then I saw my typo;
    hitemfrank wrote: »
    ...as it would be a gift for someone I would really recommend them...

That was supposed to be wouldn't :o

They do have a tendency to look a little grubby. Great things to learn to use with though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement