Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging Loan

Options
  • 14-12-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Are banks still offering these?

I know they're very expensive, but I've a year left of the fixed term of my mortgage and was hoping to refinance.

Any point in trying or should I just wait for the year to be up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

I had asked AIB this question about a year ago and was told no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Are banks still offering these?

I know they're very expensive, but I've a year left of the fixed term of my mortgage and was hoping to refinance.

Any point in trying or should I just wait for the year to be up?

Are you selling the property? Bridging loans are provided based on a sale of the property at a near enough stage into the future. It sounds like you just want a refinance rather than are planning to sell the property and thus would be worth asking the bank about a remortgage of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

Thanks for the replies
    I'm renovating my home with no intention of selling.
    I should probably just wait until the fixed term is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

You need to remortgage or top up the mortgage for what you want to do, a bridging loan is a different loan product which is not suited to what you want. They also usually have higher rates as there is a higher level of risk for the bank associated with them in case property doesnt sell.

I would contact your lender and ask. If you only have a year left and are in a stable position in terms of earnings and other debts may be workable but really the bank are the best people to have a chat to about it.

Advertisement