Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Guide's take on the queens's speech

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Could you imagine if the American president was mocked in such a way?
    Have you never seen the likes of Leno and Letterman rip the piss out of their Presidents??

Clinton and Dubya in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Have you never seen the likes of Leno and Letterman rip the piss out of their Presidents??

Clinton and Dubya in particular.
    It's all about context. In America you can say what you want about the President but there was outcry when someone interrupted his speech to congress. The RTÉ guide is not a satirical magazine and it's amazing that this was allowed to go to print.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Who've Channel 4 got lined up ?

A fair trade scheme Somalian lesbian coffee farmer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's all about context. In America you can say what you want about the President but there was outcry when someone interrupted his speech to congress. The RTÉ guide is not a satirical magazine and it's amazing that this was allowed to go to print.

and who exactly is interrupting the queens speech?

In This Thread: A handful of gob****es looking for something to be outraged by while claiming a moral high ground that doesn't exist. I'd say it was laughable but even that doesn't do the level of farce justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Seaneh wrote: »
    we can only live in hope!

Lemmy would be good. Or Keith Richards.

Are you going to back up your earlier accusation, or are you going to withdraw it...?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mike65 wrote: »
    A fair trade scheme Somalian lesbian coffee farmer.
    In fairness they've had some pretty interesting guests in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_Christmas_message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Where To wrote: »
    I firmly believe that most Irish people secretly watch the Queen's speech.

Never seen it but every year I keep meaning to...it's on at a bad time, could she not wait a bit later...inconsiderate :rolleyes:

Fair play to ye. I went to the website and there was just the old ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You don't have to be remotely nationalist or care about the relationship between Ireland and Britain to find this funny. Its a little jab at an archaic figurehead, its funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

AdamD wrote: »
    You don't have to be remotely nationalist or care about the relationship between Ireland and Britain to find this funny. Its a little jab at an archaic figurehead, its funny.

Point is as made above that RTE guide is not a satirical publication - but if your going to have jabs - how about making them all funny including the archaic 'Christmas Day Eucharist' religous program before hand? Or would that perhaps upset too many home grown bigots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The monarch and religion are entirely separate things, your analogy is weak. That said, if some UK TV magazine wanted to have a pop at the Christmas Day Eucharist programs we have on RTÉ then I wouldn't be crying about it

and who exactly is interrupting the queens speech?

In This Thread: A handful of gob****es looking for something to be outraged by while claiming a moral high ground that doesn't exist. I'd say it was laughable but even that doesn't do the level of farce justice.

It's the taking of the proverbial tbh.

It's would be a fair expectation that the national broadcaster would not do this especially to something as symbolic as this. What this looks like is paddy and mick taking a sly kick at the UK.
    Well done RTE thats another nice one you got us into to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

One year she said she had a smelly arsé or something. Annus horribilis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

gozunda wrote: »
    Well done RTE thats another nice one you got us into to...

Yes, the diplomatic relations between the two countries have taken a nose dive since the publication...

stoneill wrote: »

Now that really is showing our ignorance! Did you not do latin? Surely every good alter boy should know what Annus means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

So this is what it says :cool:

The Queen The British monarch lectures her subjects . . .

Is this a piss take, or is it meant to be serious? either way it just sounds wrong.

I guess RTE will do a quick re-issue of the Christmas RTE guide, before any more damage is done, right?

The monarch and religion are entirely separate things, your analogy is weak. That said, if some UK TV magazine wanted to have a pop at the Christmas Day Eucharist programs we have on RTÉ then I wouldn't be crying about it

TV - it was not I who made the comment about how funny humorous asides on archaic institutions are (see previous) I was simply commenting on that analogy. But for your information however herself IS the head of the Anglican Church. And btw it's not just some 'TV magazine' it's the mouthpiece of the national broadcaster.

• Advertisement

Now that really is showing our ignorance! Did you not do latin? Surely every good alter boy should know what Annus means?

you sure seem to know what anal(ly retentive) means...

you sure seem to know what anal(ly retentive) means...

Nah you could never have been an alter boy with such a poor grasp of Latin :D

Go on do have another pot shot...

I could never have been an alter boy because I was raised by agnostic parents would be far more accurate.

Not to mention that mass hasn't been said in latin by the catholic Church since long before I was born...

But mostly it's the me not being Catholic thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

stoneill wrote: »

Childish though that was, it proper made me laugh :D

I am surprised RTE put it to print, I thought they'd at least pretend to be a bit more diplomatic. But meh, it's a TV listing, who really cares.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Oh the British queen, I see.
    yeah i thought it was queen beatrix of holland that the op was on about.
    Wendolene wrote: »
    "The" foreign queen ??? :confused: I think there's more than one queen who's foreign to us. I suspect we may even find, upon further analysis, that all queens ( of the royalty sort, anyway ) are foreign ... and abroad, even.

In fairness, we very nearly ended up with a queen of our own!!!!!!!!!!!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeAlNuWPZxX7zEUGg3mOpOnFBKViyHYxK-LmzHklyfvX3fa1MznQ

newmug wrote: »
    In fairness, we very nearly ended up with a queen of our own!!!!!!!!!!!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeAlNuWPZxX7zEUGg3mOpOnFBKViyHYxK-LmzHklyfvX3fa1MznQ

election results, thankfully, say otherwise :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Not so good at the old English spelling as the Latin, eh?
    I'll let you get back to your forelock-tugging "Gawd bless er" offence now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

LordSutch wrote: »
    So this is what it says :cool:

The Queen The British monarch lectures her subjects . . .

Is this a piss take, or is it meant to be serious? either way it just sounds wrong.

I guess RTE will do a quick re-issue of the Christmas RTE guide, before any more damage is done, right?

The damage is done! The OP is post of the day,it doesnt get any bigger, and I'm sure the worlds media have been alerted, and are currently descending upon Donnybrook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Oi subjects-Im your queen, not Jessica bloody Ennis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Them pesky people will be burning RTE guides by the pallet full up in you know where...once they pay for them first RTE wont mind,it needs the revenue.

Joking aside, the details of Mrs Windsors speech have already been leaked and instead of a traditional speech she is going to show how to cook roast swan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

To those that have a problem with the RTE Guide's description:

I hereby challange you to describe the program better in six words or less.
    €5 prize if you can. :p:pac:

* Prizes may be imaginary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

BQQ wrote: »
    To those that have a problem with the RTE Guide's description:

I hereby challange you to describe the program better in six words or less.
    €5 prize if you can. :p:pac:

* Prizes may be imaginary

:D:) The queen talks the usual bull**** :D:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Not very respectful. I can't believe the editor let that go to print.

:pac:

I say give editor a pay-rise! :D

Not so good at the old English spelling as the Latin, eh?
    I'll let you get back to your forelock-tugging "Gawd bless er" offence now.

The pun was intentional my dear chap!

:D

Well done on your spelling btw.
    But do try and at least try and avoid the cliches....they can be dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Anyone wrote: »
    Joking aside, the details of Mrs Windsors speech have already been leaked and instead of a traditional speech she is going to show how to cook roast swan.

You've just given the game away. I was genuinely interested in how the diminutive head of state would attempt to cook a swan, then you go and insert the word ROAST. Well pardon me, but why the fukc would you 'cook' an already roasted swan.
    Thanks for ruining my Christmas. Killjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

The pun was intentional my dear chap!

Says the man who had to have the word 'lecture' defined for him.
    Forgive me, but I don't believe you. All that forelock tugging has addled your brain.

Says the man who had to have the word 'lecture' defined for him.
    Forgive me, but I don't believe you. All that forelock tugging has addled your brain.

Oh dear as previously explained (if you bothered to read) the wording did not include the noun 'lecture' but the verb 'lectures'

And you you know the difference between a 'lecture' and a 'speech'? Obviously not then...

But for your perusal

http://www.ehow.com/info_8388025_difference-between-speech-lecture.html

Do at least try and keep up ... Believe whatever hilarious Xenophobic opinions you have had ingrained - I don't really care tbh

Ha ha I can't believe there are people stupid enough to be getting bothered about this, it's genius by rte!! The number of likes for the original post should be an indication enough to anyone complaing that they are wasting their time as thankfully they are in a tiny minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

A bit funny, not hilarious - forgettable. It's not a massive fuk-you to the monarchy for the "800 years" crowd to be ecstatic about, nor for the "We Irish are so backwards and should be more sophisticated for the British" crowd to get upset over.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Imagine if someone in the British media (Gods knows who would even know about him) had a pop at Irelands poetry spouting pixie in the park.
    True, but why do you have to refer to him in such a way?
    I regularly see you post about how inferior Irish people and Irish society are - why do you live here? Serious question. Hatred of the British and overly bigging up Ireland annoy you - that's understandable. But your putdowns of Ireland as a whole are as bad.
    Skid wrote: »
    Most of us had BBC and ITV. It was brilliant. Sorry for your troubles.
    The border counties and some of Leinster are not "most of us", no...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Madam_X wrote: »
    The border counties and some of Leinster are not "most of us", no...

Actually, it probbaly is...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Ok Don't believe me then - The phrase says the queens 'lectures' - which gives a very different meaning to its' a lecture'

No it doesn't

Lecture can be a verb or a noun
    "The Queen lectures her subjects" has exactly the same meaning "The Queen is giving a lecture to her subject".

In your example above you just choose to interpret the first one as a kind of scolding rather that a speech.

Cambridge online dictionary
    lecture
    verb /ˈlek.tʃər//-tʃɚ/

Definition
    to give a formal talk to a group of people, often at a university
    For ten years she lectured in law.
    She travelled widely in North America, lecturing on women's rights.
    • [T] to talk angrily to someone in order to criticize their behaviour
    His parents used to lecture him on his table manners.

The question is.. is lecture an appropriate word for the speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus, are you lot still at this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I don't know any BRITISH people who watch HMQs speech....

Madam_X wrote: »
    Originally Posted by mike65
    Imagine if someone in the British media (Gods knows who would even know about him) had a pop at Irelands poetry spouting pixie in the park.

True, but why do you have to refer to him in such a way?
    I regularly see you post about how inferior Irish people and Irish society are - why do you live here? Serious question. Hatred of the British and overly bigging up Ireland annoy you - that's understandable. But your putdowns of Ireland as a whole are as bad.

He's short and looks like a pixie and he reads poetry. Do I have a pop? yes I do, why do I live here.....I came over as a child and frankly am trapped here! (nah most of you are fine but if people dish it out you can take some as well I say)

slimjimmc wrote: »

No it doesn't

Lecture can be a verb or a noun
    "The Queen lectures her subjects" has exactly the same meaning "The Queen is giving a lecture to her subject".

Ehhh? Did you actually read what I said?
    Yes there are verbs AND nouns
    the wording was

'The Queen lectures her subjects' - get it?
    In your example above you just choose to interpret the first one as a kind of scolding rather that a speech.

The meaning is clear from the original context and over 50% here finding the actual RTE wording hilarious ...(+likes)

RL="http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/lecture_2"]Cambridge online dictionary [/URL]
    The question is.. is lecture an appropriate word for the speech.

It is referred to as the (UKs) Queen's Speech

But Yeah whatever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Wait a minute... People buy the rte guide?

They do now, many a home will rip out that page and have it framed.

I wonder will she mention the Eastenders storyline about the incestuous cousins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

But Mike, why don't you leave? So spineless for people to stay in a country they despise. And you're being disingenuous - you know well what you said re Higgins was really snide and unnecessary (with the "nobody has a clue who he is" bit added in for good measure - make sure the paddies are kept in their place like).
    Still dont think all Irish people deserve your snideness and superiority complex just because of some muppety Irish people. I certainly wouldn't be condemning all of britain because of the tard right-wing Daily Express lot.

At least you are British though (I think) - far worse when pathetic self flagellating Irish people go on the way you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Anyone wrote: »
    They should let Phillip speak, preferably after a few drinks. I'd watch that.
    Great idea for a Spitting image/Channel 4 alternative christmas message. :D

Advertisement