Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Guide's take on the queens's speech

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Madam_X wrote: »

The border counties and some of Leinster are not "most of us", no...

And the north galway/mayo area, Balla transmitter beamed in civilization through out the 80's & 90's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Wait a minute... People buy the rte guide?

:) The RTÉ Guide is still Ireland's largest selling magazine with an ABC circulation figure of 74,381 (ABC 2011). It is a family focused lifestyle and entertainment weekly magazine with a full listing of all terrestrial and popular satellite channels. It has weekly updates on the latest movies, music and book releases and a very strong lifestyle section covering the latest trends in beauty, fashion and interiors. :D I expect the sellings ratings to go down soon especially up in the top northern part of the Island ;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Relax the national emergency is over...

We are now blaming the French!

"An RTE spokesman appeared to blame the French for the blunder – or at least, an Irish-owned editing company operating in France."

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/rte-guide-makes-majestic-blunder-as-queens-speech-becomes-lecture-3326657.html

I just love Christmas entertainment ...

Edit:

This may help put a new perspective on the whole issue...it's going to be available in 3D!

http://www.c21media.net/archives/95475

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It won't help the application to return to the commonwealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

gozunda wrote: »
    Relax the national emergency is over...

We are now blaming the French!

"An RTE spokesman appeared to blame the French for the blunder – or at least, an Irish-owned editing company operating in France."

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/rte-guide-makes-majestic-blunder-as-queens-speech-becomes-lecture-3326657.html

I just love Christmas entertainment ...
    Yes, Spindo - "the French" were not blamed (by RTE, not "we"), just a company that happens to be French. And a lost-in-translation explanation seems plausible. In French "To lecture" just means to give a speech or reading. Oh no, the Irish with an inferiority complex can't blah on about how backwards we all are now based on this tiny non incident! :(

Presumably the Spindo group is pretending to be "outraged" at RTE in line with its "Ireland is so backwards" schtick? It actually outsourced its sub-editing and page layout people to France also, about five years ago.

• Advertisement

Yes, Spindo - "the French" were not blamed, just a company that happens to be French. And a lost-in-translation explanation seems plausible. "To lecture" just means to give a speech or reading. Oh no, the Irish with an inferiority complex can't blah on about how backwards we all are now based on this tiny non incident! :(

Presumably the Spindo group is pretending to be "outraged" at RTE in line with its "Ireland is so backwards" schtick? It actually outsourced its sub-editing and page layout people to France also, about five years ago.

Did ya read the 'that's hilarious type comments' here?

We can argue over semantics all ye like but in context the description appears to be a direct jibe and unfortunately makes us look like a bunch of mucka savages...if we are going to wipe egg all over our faces lets not be surprised if it is pointed out to us....

By the way I would suggest you check the link te the difference between 'speech' and 'lecture' I posted earlier. It makes it fairly clear...

But hey it's all ok because the 'French' did it ;)

PS - I reckon the potential Irish viewer audience for TQS has just increased...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

An RTE spokesman appeared to blame the French for the blunder – or at least, an Irish-owned editing company operating in France.

But the managing director of Presse Media 81, which provides the listings for the 'RTE Guide', said it was an unfortunate error.

Julian Kindness told the Irish Independent: "It was very straightforward and an innocuous but unfortunate use of the word 'lectures'."

"In hindsight", he added: "'addresses' would have been more appropriate.

"There was no political slight, no malice intended, no smart-arsed sub-context or attempt to sneak in a Christmas howler.

Jeaus christ people.
    Kids have died (again) in the last 24 hours, in the world, un-necessary (when is it not that way?).
    Lets calm down about this and get some perspective. It was an innocent, slightly funny error. End of story.

Lets move on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

We can argue over semantics all ye like but in context the description appears to be a direct jibe and unfortunately makes us look like a bunch of mucka savages...if we are going to wipe egg all over our faces lets not be surprised if it is pointed out to us....

By the way I would suggest you check the link te the difference between 'speech' and 'lecture' I posted earlier. It makes it fairly clear...

Seriously, you need to build a bridge and get the **** over it.

Why? That would be no fun at all.

Seaneh wrote: »

Seriously, you need to build a bridge and get the **** over it.

Nah dont be silly- as I said RTE Christmas entertainment / bloopers are getting better than ever...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Nah dont be silly- as I said RTE Christmas entertainment / bloopers are getting better than ever...

It looks like better entertainment in the Mag' than actually on RTE telly!

In your opinion it makes us look like mucksavages, most people see it as it is: nothing much. Most people aren't obsessed with what the British (who won't be reading it anyway) think of us, RTE is not us all.

And yes, if it were a genuine "lost in translation" error by this french company, yes, that is fair enough. That obviously means there was no jibe in the first place so you should be delighted surely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I can imagine watching Have I Got News For You sometime in the future

"and this weeks guest publication - The RTE Guide"

and it'll be a knitting pattern or recipe or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

In what way does it make us look like muck savages? Do you have any idea how pathetic you sound? Any right-minded person wouldn't give the tiniest of shites about the whole thing.

If you're that concerned about Ireland's image abroad then why not stop trying to make this out to be some kind of national scandal...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Love it.
    Russian roulette trolling.

In what way does it make us look like muck savages? Do you have any idea how pathetic you sound? Any right-minded person wouldn't give the tiniest of shites about the whole thing.

If you're that concerned about Ireland's image abroad then why not stop trying to make this out to be some kind of national scandal...

Finished with the personal insults?

Have you read any of the rest of the thread or the national coverage this has got?

I love when people with specific opinions give themselves the title 'right minded' thats the funniest bit of all. Ah sure we can all entitle ourselves 'right minded' when we like...

We can stick our heads in the sand as you commanded - it don't make it go away

RTE published the description- they are the mouthpiece of the national broadcaster - its out there even if we like it or not...

In your opinion it makes us look like mucksavages, most people see it as it is: nothing much. Most people aren't obsessed with what the British (who won't be reading it anyway) think of us, RTE is not us all.

Tis not solely my opinion btw - see many other posts and coverage.
    The apparent insulting of a head of state by the mouthpiece of the national broacaster and applause of this is what really makes us look like 'mucka savages'. There is clearly well divided opinion on this and not in any way 'most people' as given in your opinion.
    And yes, if it were a genuine "lost in translation" error by this french company, yes, that is fair enough. That obviously means there was no jibe in the first place so you should be delighted surely.

Ah sur that's all right then...the rubbing of hands in glee should stop now then ?

Ah sur that's all right then...the rubbing of hands in glee should stop now then ?
    By you... yes. Your mission to put us down and call us backwards etc should indeed come to an end, seeing as the intention you're adamant was present, actually wasn't.

I didn't say it was just your opinion, unfortunately you're not the only self flagellating, simpering, toadying Irish person.

By you... yes. Your mission to put us down and call us backwards etc should indeed come to an end, seeing as the intention you're adamant was present, actually wasn't.

I didn't say it was just your opinion, unfortunately you're not the only self flagellating, simpering, toadying Irish person.

good on ya.
    stand and deliver ..your opinion.

My mission 'to put us down' eh?
    MX - open your eyes and look at some of the responses to this. Do you not see?
    By naming something that already exists does not actually create the issue - that has already been done. A stone is a stone is a stone.

The intent if any at this is really immaterial - it was the response that made it distasteful

You appear to have very real issue about any self criticism - why is this?

'Self flagellating simpering toadying Irish person' eh? - wow that's a lot of subjectives!!! Oh no Boo hoo but hey guess what that shows you more up than anything I have said here. Good luck with that.

So your quite finished with the insults? Or do you prefer RTEs apparent talent for self parody?

• Advertisement

Sorry Gozunda, shouldn't have insulted you - no, I don't have an issue with any bit of self criticism; personally I welcome it when it's actually constructive and isn't just a load of "We're backwards and inferior" sweeping insults.
    This RTE Guide thing is not something worth such disdain at ourselves. I'd view stuff like the very parochial mindset still in existence in parts of Ireland as a much bigger issue, the reverence towards crooked politicians, the state of some infrastructure... but not an innocuous and possibly erroneous few words on the RTE Guide. You see it as indicative of a wide issue of a culture here of anti britishness, IMO though that is fading away gradually, and any remnants like "No to foreign games" is just fodder for laughing at, certainly not putting us down as a nation.

Actually it is an error - the rotten rag is just trying to spin it to look as though RTE really meant it and is now trying to pass the buck. That "newspaper" pushes an anti public sector/anti semi state agenda and that's the only reason for this spin.

Sorry Gozunda, shouldn't have insulted you - no, I don't have an issue with any bit of self criticism; personally I welcome it when it's actually constructive and isn't just a load of "We're backwards and inferior" sweeping insults.
    This RTE Guide thing is not something worth such disdain at ourselves. I'd view stuff like the very parochial mindset still in existence in parts of Ireland as a much bigger issue, the reverence towards crooked politicians, the state of some infrastructure... but not an innocuous and possibly erroneous few words on the RTE Guide. You see it as indicative of a wide issue of a culture here of anti britishness, IMO though that is fading away gradually, and any remnants like "No to foreign games" is just fodder for laughing at.

You know what I agree with you, however it remains we do need some perspective on perhaps not the actual happening itself but the type of responses to it..I really do hope that this kinda of stuff is on the way out.

The scary thing is that Elizabeth Windsor is actually the spit of the mother in law - Freaky or what...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Chauncey

Heh, mike65, the little British dude 'trapped' in Waterford.
    I own a nice house in England, I'll let you live in it for free if you have the nuts to get off your sweet behind and move. Genuine offer.

Anyway, I'm not really interested in the queen or whatever, but I hope the old girl gets good ratings for her tv show, maybe next year the BBC will give her a series or something instead of this one off bull****. I mean, Jesus, even Ant and Dec got to make a movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

This is the worst thing to happen in the history of the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Is it just me that thinks it's an accurate description of what the Queen's speech is? :confused:

apart form it not being a lecture and the British not being her subjects, yep it is very accurate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

RTE published the description- they are the mouthpiece of the national broadcaster - its out there even if we like it or not...

Jasus - Nicholas Witchell and Jenny Bond will be tearing their hair out when they get their copies of the RTE guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DTQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I can't be the only person who doesn't get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

G.K. wrote: »
    I can't be the only person who doesn't get it?

Try mouthwash, deodorant and a bit of charm. Oh, and girls like confidence too.

• Advertisement

Now having watched the message. It was not a lecture at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

That's great then,all sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Great speech this year, definitely in her top 50 christmas speeches

No beating the one in 96 with the whole moonwalking thing.
    And the 89 one where she had the catapult and the tea cakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Yep, it was certainly up there with her annus horribilis.

Top, top speech. Had me riveted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

No beating the one in 96 with the whole moonwalking thing.
    And the 89 one where she had the catapult and the tea cakes.

Or the one in 04 she did from space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Remember folks, it's THE Queen, not the Queen of the UK, or Belgium or Norway...:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Great to see Ireland's obsession with all things British is as strong as ever, probably no British forums with as many posts about the queens speech. Anyway, great speech from great queen after a great year for great Britain ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

In fairness it'll probably be her last one. I've a bet with my British mate that her, Thatcher and Paisley Snr all expire in 2013.

In fairness it'll probably be her last one. I've a bet with my British mate that her, Thatcher and Paisley Snr all expire in 2013.
    That would be a nice treble to have at the bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

gallag wrote: »
    Great to see Ireland's obsession with all things British is as strong as ever
    Great to see you've managed to figure out where anonymous posters on the internet come from. That's one crystal ball I'd be delighted to have, all things considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

tdv123 wrote: »

Or the one in 04 she did from space.
    I thought the one in 1982, where she addressed her subjects from the top of Kilimanjero was particularly poignant.
    Ahhh, memories.....

I don't think so.

The 1982 message was from Windsor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I don't think so.

The 1982 message was from Windsor.

the car dealers?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Just saw that now, funny stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

and i'll bet that what you said is made up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It baffles me that a nation with a rich cultural, and technological heritage such as Britain chooses to elevate in the psyche of British people something as unremarkable and unaccomplished as a bunch of so-called 'royals'.

I guess I can understand a little that British people would be sensitive about the royals because they've been fed the idea all their lives that the royals are somehow noble and something to be proud of but Irish people getting butt-hurt over this issue?

Pathetic subservient slave mentality.

It baffles me that a nation with a rich cultural, and technological heritage such as Britain chooses to elevate in the psyche of British people something as unremarkable and unaccomplished as a bunch of so-called 'royals'.

I guess I can understand a little that British people would be sensitive about the royals because they've been fed the idea all their lives that the royals are somehow noble and something to be proud of but Irish people getting butt-hurt over this issue?

Somewhat over sensitive to the issue at hand perhaps?

They have their royal family, bulldogs and winston Churchill

We have the pope, shamrock and Padraic Pearse.

Go figure.

Nope don't really see much of a difference tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think they realise that they did once rule the world and like to look back on that, their Royal family buffers this belief and makes it live on.

The Irish I believe over inflate their importance in the world and still have an inferiority complex towards Britain. That's why they get but hurt when royalty is discussed imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

They have their royal family, bulldogs and winston Churchill

You've obviously failed to digest this bit of my post you just quoted.
    We have the pope, shamrock and Padraic Pearse.

Bullshit tbh.

You've obviously failed to digest this bit of my post you just quoted.
    Bullshit tbh.

Nah you missed my point - one is somewhat very like the other imo

These things are symbols that embody national identity

Didn't say I agree with this but there you go that's how things are

Queen / Pope

Bulldog / Shamrock

Etc etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement