Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property not ready - deposit and lease done

Options
  • 14-12-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Daughter has viewed rental property, paid deposit and signed a lease. EA had stated, when they were viewing property, that heating and cooking hob would be installed before they move in.
    They collected keys today and went to apt. No heating and no cooking hob.

I am suggesting to her that she simply demand return of deposit and move elsewhere. Tired of this crap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Daughter has viewed rental property, paid deposit and signed a lease. EA had stated, when they were viewing property, that heating and cooking hob would be installed before they move in.
    They collected keys today and went to apt. No heating and no cooking hob.

I am suggesting to her that she simply demand return of deposit and move elsewhere. Tired of this crap.

If she has signed a lease and tries to move she probably won't get the deposit back without a trip through the PRTB, which seems to be a process that takes over a year from stories told on here.

Send them a registered letter saying she wants this fixed within 3 days - a reasonable time frame as she has no heating. Include in the letter the points that if it is not fixed within that time she will get three quotes to have it fixed, employ whatever person she feels is best to fix the problem and deduct the amount from the next months rent.

If she is feeling cheeky she could deduct money for her time spent organizing it but I would be very careful of that as it could end up with the LL taking a case against her through the PRTB or even the LL not returning her deposit at the end of the lease

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

What on earth was she thinking handing over money and signing a lease before inspecting the place immediately prior to moving in? Never take a landlord/agent at their promise of things to be done.

If the property does not have heating and does not have a means for cooking then it does not the meet the minimum required standard as set out in the tenancy act. Im not sure if this voids the lease or not, she would need to check with Threshold for proper advice on that, but she could bring this up with the landlord/agent and see if they back down and refund the deposit. Honestly Id say be prepared for a bit of a fight if the landlord is a less than reasonable person.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

EA had stated, when they were viewing property, that heating and cooking hob would be installed before they move in.
    If it wasn't written on paper, their word is not worth crap.

Get a nice loud bell, and pop down to the EA's office tomorrow and make a show of herself saying that the EA rented them a place with no heat in the coldest winter ever.

See how long the EA takes to fix her problems then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

the_syco wrote: »
    If it wasn't written on paper, their word is not worth crap.

Get a nice loud bell, and pop down to the EA's office tomorrow and make a show of herself saying that the EA rented them a place with no heat in the coldest winter ever.

See how long the EA takes to fix her problems then.

Its not that cold... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

the fill you with crap so you will pay the deposit, when i viewed my first place they promised they would get a cleaner in before i moved in it was a nice place but was a bit dirty with dust from not being lived in for awile, paid our deposit and rent and moved it and it was the exact same as the day we viewed it they had nothing done we had to give the place a good scrub ourselves it was very annoying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement