Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joseph O'Connor fans?

Options
  • 14-12-2012 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭

I've been a huge fan of this guy since reading star of the sea 7 or 8 years ago, I read Redemption Falls and Ghost Light as soon as they came out, Redemption Falls was tough going for a start but fabulous once I got into it, Ghost Light probably the weakest of the three but still excellent.
    I've read all the short stories in his new collection and will be starting the Novella later on, the stories are absolutely fantastic, only Kevin Barry can compete with him at this discipline. Just read an old book of his called "The Salesman" which was a complete page turner, haven't read a book so quickly in ages, I'm gonna try to read everything he's written in the next few months, some of the older stuff might be hard to get but I'm sure I'll manage. Anyway just a heads up for those who haven't tried him out yet, an absolute master of his craft.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I didn't like star of the sea but nothing compares to you is a great song

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

A Prince among men.
    I didn't like star of the sea but nothing compares to you is a great song

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I've only read Star of the Sea but is an incredible book. A must read for any Irish person

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I've only read Star of the Sea but is an incredible book. A must read for any Irish person

Agree completely. It's a great book. O'Connor can be a bit annoying at times but there's no doubting that Star Of The Sea is a great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

loved Star of the Sea but Redemption Falls is one of only three books I have never finished - god awful stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I found Redemption Falls harder to get into than Star of The Sea but enjoyed it a lot once I did. I wasn't overly impressed with the reveal at the end about who the narrator was though.

I didn't like Ghost Light as much. Parts of it were alright but I found it dragged a bit, especially
    when he died and there was still nearly half the book left

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Redemption falls is very difficult to get into early on but once it starts making some sense it is a fabulous book, I'm guessing that if you didn't finish it you never got past the first 40 pages, it really does take off and it's well worth the effort, better than Ghost Light but not in the same league as star of the sea.

Advertisement