Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another mass shooting in the U.S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The Associated Press ‏@AP
    BREAKING: AP source: In mass shootings, son killed his mother at their home, then went on school rampage. -SS

This is an horrific tragedy. I can't imagine the mental impact on those kids who survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I can only assume that everybody on this thread in favour of stricter gun laws is completely in favour of the War on Drugs? If gun prohibition is going to be so successful at preventing murders then I can only assume that drug prohibition is equally successful at preventing people from selling and consuming drugs?

It seems to be preventing good proportion of Mexicans from reaching a ripe old age.

I just dropped a note to the RSA recommending prohibition of alcohol as a way of saving lives on the road. What could possibly go wrong? Thanks to suggestions on this thread for helping me see the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

MadsL wrote: »
    It seems to be preventing good proportion of Mexicans from reaching a ripe old age.

I wonder where they get their guns from. If only there was a nearby country, say, the other side of the border, that handed them out free with packs of cereal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,175 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't understand how any human being could do this. No matter what his mental state was he was gunning down 5 year old children! I love that because he's a white middle class man he's labeled "mentally disabled". He should be labelled as just plain crazy. Chris Rock talks about it in this video (not totally sure if appropriate putting up a comedy routine but it is a pretty dead on bit about these monstrous people).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,982 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So he did not shoot his mother at the school
    Confirmed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

MadsL wrote: »
    Do you drink? Because one person dies every 30 minutes of a drunk driving related accident. But you keep drinking, bury your head in a bottle, you are killing innocents. Think of the innocents.

Jesus Christ. There's no words for how ****ing stupid that comparison is.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mckenzie84

MadsL wrote:
    Some short memories here about the irish Civil War too..
    Would you ever shut up. I doubt you have an iota of knowledge regarding the Civil War.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gb40

Fox news claim.

Student from Columbine parent of child killed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Post #4 on this thread was prophetic. They're here, and they will be here for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »

That ****wit Mike Huckabee brought God into it as well. Said the whole thing wasn't surprising as God was no longer allowed in the claaroom. Absolute scum, complete ****ing ****. Couldn't leave that bull**** out just for a day or two even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Tox56 wrote: »
    The amount of Americans/American based users here defending the gun laws does suggest there is a cultural aspect, but I would have thought those with closer exposure to these shootings they would be more wary, but apparently the opposite is true

This isn't solely about gun rights. It is about individual rights protected by our Constitution. We are fanatical about our Constitutional rights and as a lawyer, I am okay with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

cowzerp wrote: »

What a sub human scumbag, using this as a platform to push his agenda.

Thisn't solely about gun rights. It is about individual rights protected by our Constitution. We are fanatical about our Constitutional rights and as a lawyer, I am okay with that.

Wasn't that written over 200 years ago though? Maybe it's time for an update?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

It was reported on network news that the guns involved were property of the murdered mother and all were legally purchased and registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

statesaver wrote: »
    Sad to say but this does not surprise me anymore.
    On to the next shooting ........... and the next ............... and the next .........
    And they still won't change the gun laws
    USA has three choices, control guns, let the massacres continue, or send five year olds to school with automatic rifles to protect themselves. Anyone want to bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,199 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

statesaver wrote: »
    Sad to say but this does not surprise me anymore.

On to the next shooting ........... and the next ............... and the next .........

And they still won't change the gun laws :confused:

27 dead, 14 are children they're saying now. How sad

Yeh...I didn't even bat an eyelid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

brummytom wrote: »
    I wonder where they get their guns from. If only there was a nearby country, say, the other side of the border, that handed them out free with packs of cereal.

The two most significant countries are Mexico and Guatemala. Latin America is fairly awash with firearms from the insurgencies and conflicts which went on down there a few years back, they work their way North to the cartels. Military stocks are also pilfered as their tracking and security is not up to US standards. Much better to steal a fully automatic from a Panamanian arms room than a semi-auto from Texas. Significant numbers of weapons sold to the Mexican government from the US also go missing. So yes, though most weapons are manufactured in the US, it is not correct to say that they just walk across the porous border.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

kincsem wrote: »
    Post #4 on this thread was prophetic. They're here, and they will be here for the next one.

Well, someone who knows what they're talking about needs to partake in the thread. We're as good as any.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

MadYaker wrote: »
    This is horrific. Obama looked pretty shell shocked in his speech.
    They were crocodile tears,

That man is murdering innocent men woman and children every day of the week in Afhganistan, Somalia and.Pakistan with his unmanned drone death policy.

It makes me sick to see this hypocrit put on a show like this I front of the media.

• Advertisement

I'd sooner take my chances with someone armed with a bat tbh. I don't know how anyone can say that it makes no difference what they are armed with. Of course it does make a difference =/

Of course there's a difference.

In China there was a nutter who went on a rampage with a knife and injured 20 kids.

In America, there was 28 schoolkids killed by a gunman.

I won't belittle the intelligence of most people here by pointing out what should be bleedin obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Such a horrible, horrible thing to happen :(
    But this thread seems to be going on about gun laws alot.... thats a very grey area.

A psychopath should never ever be legally approved to hold a gun!!!!!!! But thats the thing, how can we differentiate between a seemingly normal person who is a psychopath and someone who just wants to protect his family? ... or even then, someone who legally owns a gun. But someone takes it?

Gun laws are a grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

EZ24GET wrote: »
    It was reported on network news that the guns involved were property of the murdered mother and all were legally purchased and registered.

I have visited a few gun stores in the states which rent guns to fire on the range out the back.Its great fun but you should see the stuff you can buy legally!Stuff like Barrett rifles and MP5s are military weapons and should not be available to Joe Public.There was a couple at the range using their own Glock 9mm. They took turns minding the 2 kids while the other was shooting.Got talking to him and it turns out they own 7 firearms between them.The US will never change the law regarding firearms because there are too many people making too much cash from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Looks like it was his Mom's guns!
    He wasn't licensed in that sense.
    But all you go to do is be over 21 and be resident in that state and a gun dealer can give you weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

To give an example of how america is violent. Take this historic event that happened in New York:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/11/29/new-york-city-violent-crime_n_2209402.html

First time on record. New York went an entire day without any serious crime happening.... that .... that says alot.

To give an example of how america is violent. Take this historic event that happened in New York:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/11/29/new-york-city-violent-crime_n_2209402.html

First time on record. New York went an entire day without any serious crime happening.... that .... that says alot.

You get that in almost every country. Even Ireland.

The coverage around this is something atrocious. Someone in the Photos that Shook the World thread posted a link to this article about it. The sheer amount of photos and videos is insane.

I've posted this video once and I'll post it again- time and time again, News networks are reporting these sort of crimes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

While my sympathy goes out to the family and friends of those who were killed, the question must be asked - why do Americans continue to play with fire and not expect to get burnt?!!

It's a case of yet another gun related massacre at an American school. And still, an archaic 18th century "right to bear arms" law is more important than a person's right to life.

Banning handguns would not solve this problem totally, but it certainly would go a long way.

Only in America.

Overheal wrote: »
    New York City has one the highest rates of homicide in the world, and yet the ownership of guns is prohibited there. Amazing, isn't it?

Actually, the homicide rate is down in NYC from what it once was.

Amazing isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Overheal wrote: »
    New York City has one the highest rates of homicide in the world, and yet the ownership of guns is prohibited there. Amazing, isn't it?

Since when is ownership of guns prohibited in New York? Nonsense.They have a virtual ban on carrying guns and restrictions on certain types of rifles but there is no problem keeping guns in the home legally.

• Advertisement

kincsem wrote: »
    From Google.

The term militia, or irregular army, is commonly used today to refer to a military force composed of ordinary citizens to provide defense, emergency law enforcement, or paramilitary service, in times of emergency without being paid a regular salary or committed to a fixed term of service.

i.e. NOT every Tom, Dick and fucking Harry.

Advertisement